Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 01:44   #6736
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Team, how reliable are hot and cold air conditioners?
If its the heat pump kind, just as reliable as any air conditioner.

The air is dry though, so in conditions such as Delhi where the air is already dry, you might need to run a humidifier from time to time, to keep some moisture in the air, else its going to lead to your skin drying out.
Old 12th January 2021, 10:56   #6737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I had a weird question.
When I'm driving my safari, My palms and feet stay sweaty and really COLD but not comfortable and dry like in an air conditioned hotel.

Why is this? how can I fix it. and the safari storme is known to have a chiller of an AC but without a working temp dial. It just has cold and hot, nothing in between
Safaris do have a thermostat setting where you can adjust the temperature setting which controls the AC compressor. Try backing off a few notches in the thermostat.
Feeling warm and cold is subjective which depends on factors like ambient temperature, humidity, food you consumed and so on. The Airconditioned room has lower humidity compared with your Safari's interior. This is the reason why you feel humid in your car than in a room.
Old 12th January 2021, 11:01   #6738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Safaris do have a thermostat setting where you can adjust the temperature setting which controls the AC compressor. Try backing off a few notches in the thermostat.
Feeling warm and cold is subjective which depends on factors like ambient temperature, humidity, food you consumed and so on. The Airconditioned room has lower humidity compared with your Safari's interior. This is the reason why you feel humid in your car than in a room.
I meant to say that it doesn't work. As long as it's in the blue zone it chills you to your bones, and as soon as im in the red zone, it's the heat.
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:39   #6739
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Looking to buy 1x1.5T window AC & 1x1T window AC to replace our old LG AC's. They were installed in 2003 & have been performing well barring a few repairs here & there considering the age. We have been fully satisfied with LG's given our experience.

We have no provision to install split AC's as no pipe work was done in the walls & I actually prefer window units for ease of maintenance. We have few more split AC units as well in the house, 3 of which are famed General - experience with them has been average at best whereas the window units have been solid strong performers.

So guys, kindly pour in with suggestions, not looking for inverter or anything. Need something robust like the LG's that we intend to replace. Primary usage for 1.5T would be 2-3 hours in the day & 5-6 hours at night, so all in all say 8hrs/day. For the 1T, which would be in guest room, usage will be very light, maybe few hours in the month, that too if there's someone in the room - so not very particular about star rating for the 1T.

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd February 2021, 01:53   #6740
BHPian

Is a voltage stabilizer needed for an inverter split AC? I was under the impression that it isn't, and is required for a non-inverter type split AC. The Mitsubishi dealer who I spoke to suggests its better safe than sorry and is quoting about 2K for the stabilizer. Is this really needed? Advice needed please!
Old 3rd February 2021, 01:53   #6741
Senior - BHPian

I think Hitachi window ACs are still available and would be my top choice
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:36   #6742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Is a voltage stabilizer needed for an inverter split AC?
No. Most new air conditioners already have built in protection circuits to handle abrupt power cuts and will also cut power if the voltage drops or goes high.

I'd get a voltage stabilizer only if your area has unstable power. Having lived in Cox Town, Cooke town area for a good 10+ years, I've never experienced voltage fluctuations.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:47   #6743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Looking to buy 1x1.5T window AC & 1x1T window AC to replace our old LG AC's.
Voltas window AC has been going strong, and service experience has also been good.
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:55   #6744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Looking to buy 1x1.5T window AC & 1x1T window AC to replace our old LG AC's. They were installed in 2003 & have been performing well barring a few repairs here & there considering the age. We have been fully satisfied with LG's given our experience.

So guys, kindly pour in with suggestions, not looking for inverter or anything. Need something robust like the LG's that we intend to replace. Primary usage for 1.5T would be 2-3 hours in the day & 5-6 hours at night, so all in all say 8hrs/day. For the 1T, which would be in guest room, usage will be very light, maybe few hours in the month, that too if there's someone in the room - so not very particular about star rating for the 1T.

Thanks in advance!
If the LG are performing, then retain them. Older AC's were built much better than the current generation, and with window AC fan is what gives the maximum problems. In fact there is no case for replacing them unless there is a major repair bill.

In case you are bent on replacing, I suggest LG again. They have one o the best service networks.
Old 4th February 2021, 14:58   #6745
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the LG are performing, then retain them. Older AC's were built much better than the current generation, and with window AC fan is what gives the maximum problems. In fact there is no case for replacing them unless there is a major repair bill.

In case you are bent on replacing, I suggest LG again. They have one o the best service networks.
Hi Aroy,

Need to replace them for two reasons:

1) 1T AC has stopped working altogether
2) 1.5T AC's fan was repaired 6-8months ago from a mechanic, costed around 1500 INR for the job. More importantly, the body of the AC has rusted significantly - the portion that's outside the window & I feel it is now a safety hazard.
Old 4th February 2021, 15:44   #6746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Aroy,

Need to replace them for two reasons:

1) 1T AC has stopped working altogether
2) 1.5T AC's fan was repaired 6-8months ago from a mechanic, costed around 1500 INR for the job. More importantly, the body of the AC has rusted significantly - the portion that's outside the window & I feel it is now a safety hazard.
Well then you do have to replace them.

The reason that I like LG is because
1. They have a fantastic service team (at least in Delhi)
2. The have a 5 year extended warranty scheme that includes all parts, labour and 2 yearly service.
https://www.lg.com/in/support/warranty
(window = 7100)
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 00:00   #6747
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Well then you do have to replace them.

The reason that I like LG is because
1. They have a fantastic service team (at least in Delhi)
2. The have a 5 year extended warranty scheme that includes all parts, labour and 2 yearly service.
https://www.lg.com/in/support/warranty
(window = 7100)
Thanks. Any specific model in LG ? I'm generally satisfied given the duration & amount spent on maintaining the window units.

Cheers
Old 5th February 2021, 09:43   #6748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Any specific model in LG ? I'm generally satisfied given the duration & amount spent on maintaining the window units.

Cheers
No idea of their window units. You can search LG site for a suitable model, and then take a month to scan e-commerce sites to get a good deal. In the mean time visit a few LG brand shops and try to strike a bargain. As you will be taking 3/4 units you will have a strong case for additional discounts.
Old 10th February 2021, 13:52   #6749
BHPian

One of our AC's stabilizer is showing power (basic tester) on all three lines of the output. Looks like it is shorted. Can these stabilizers be repaired or is that a futile exercise and I'm better off buying new?
Old 10th February 2021, 16:20   #6750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Can these stabilizers be repaired
We have had them repaired: arranged by our local-street AC guy.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks