Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 23:20   #6781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Got a 1.5 ton LG dual inverter AC (MS-Q18ANZA) installed yesterday. This was bought from Croma. A few observations about the installation:
I installed LG MS-Q18YNZA a month back. Had the exact same observations with the installation. I did not want them make a mess of my wall got a core drill done on the wall on my own. This will result in a perfect hole. The installation was outsourced to third party and the guys behaved the exact same way.

No vacuuming was done and they did not had any pump. I did not make it a big issue. Had this been a very critical step LG would have insisted on that anyway.
May be I am wrong.

They did not cut the tube even though it was a back to back installation. Just coiled it and kept on the stand.

The product is really good with cooling even though in Bangalore weather it is an overkill.

Last edited by poloman : 26th March 2021 at 23:23.
poloman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 21:54   #6782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I did not want them make a mess of my wall got a core drill done on the wall on my own. This will result in a perfect hole. The installation was outsourced to third party and the guys behaved the exact same way.

No vacuuming was done and they did not had any pump. I did not make it a big issue. Had this been a very critical step LG would have insisted on that anyway.
What was the size of the hole needed for the copper tubes & Drain pipe to pass through? 60mm sufficient? As I have shifted my residence recently I need fix the air conditioner. I am sure no A/C installer closer to my residence will have the Core wall Hole Saw Cutter. So thinking of to get one. When a local Electrician recommended me an A/C installer, the first question I asked was if he had a vacuum pump; he came back with a reply, he was not having one. So the work is still pending!

More than 5 years back, when my Brother & I bought A/C's together (Sharp), the installer at his home had done it without a vacuum pump initially; he was made to redo it again properly with a vacuum pump after politely writing it to the Customer Care if their standard installation procedure allows them to do it without vacuum pump. So unless we raise the issue with the Manufacturers, they will continue to do such short cuts.
Old 27th March 2021, 23:26   #6783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
What was the size of the hole needed for the copper tubes & Drain pipe to pass through? 60mm sufficient?
I think it should be more than 3" for smooth insertion of the tube and drain.

These service guys don't want to take any extra efforts. So they skip most standard installation procedures. They think that core cutter is to be used only in concrete not on brick walls. It can be used equally effective on brick walls for a perfect hole with much less dust. If you keep the drill chunk cut out, in future if you want to fill the hole it will be much easier.

The ac installers wont have the machine. I hired a core cutting expert. It is costly, costing upwards of 1000 for a hole.

Vacuuming, of course will be beneficial. The cooling of the AC is so far good, so I let it go.

Last edited by poloman : 27th March 2021 at 23:29.
poloman is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 02:19   #6784
BHPian

We are soon going to be renovating our space & it's upgrade time from our 3 window air cons to probably split ones. We have a .75 & 1.5 ton LG which are almost 20 years old along with a 1.5 ton Carrier. None of their remotes work any more. I don't think they will fetch a good price on exchange, hence thinking of selling them to folks like you. Please suggest ideas regd the same as well as which brand to go for. Want something everlasting. Architect has already suggested Mitsubishi, I am biased towards OG/Daikin etc. Over to you! Our usage isn't much except for the summers & a few odd times during the monsoons. We love our Atomberg & Superfan's too much.

Last edited by coolmel : 28th March 2021 at 02:23.
Old 28th March 2021, 07:33   #6785
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks - just checking if this is the right thread to request for reliable options of a silent room air cooler. We intend to use it mainly in our living room with dimensions of approx. 17 x 13. Might also use it within other rooms as well given the portability.
See some good options from Symphony, Voltas etc but any personal experiences / specific model names will be appreciated. Thanks!
Was thinking of installing an AC at first but it might be difficult due to the large overall space (with adjacent kitchen area) that the AC might have to cover. Plus there’s not adequate space on the wall to install the split AC due to PoP etc.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 28th March 2021 at 07:40.
Old 28th March 2021, 11:07   #6786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
What was the size of the hole needed for the copper tubes & Drain pipe to pass through? 60mm sufficient? As I have shifted my residence recently I need fix the air conditioner. I am sure no A/C installer closer to my residence will have the Core wall Hole Saw Cutter. So thinking of to get one. When a local Electrician recommended me an A/C installer, the first question I asked was if he had a vacuum pump; he came back with a reply, he was not having one. So the work is still pending!

More than 5 years back, when my Brother & I bought A/C's together (Sharp), the installer at his home had done it without a vacuum pump initially; he was made to redo it again properly with a vacuum pump after politely writing it to the Customer Care if their standard installation procedure allows them to do it without vacuum pump. So unless we raise the issue with the Manufacturers, they will continue to do such short cuts.
I measured the holes in my split AC's
1. Holes using core drill (2) = 2.5" ~ 62mm
2. Holes using Chisel ~ 3" ~ 75mm
So a 65mm-70mm core drill will be fine.
https://www.industrybuying.com/diamo....DIA.18199525/
https://www.amazon.in/Diameter-Stain.../dp/B07GBWKPDZ
These are quite expensive. The longer bit is better. With the shorter bit, you drill, and clean the debris every inch.

Vaccuming is essential to get rid of the moisture in the pipes line. In very dry weather like Delhi in summer there is not much moisture in the air, but in humid coastal areas the moisture may be enough to overwhelm the drying gel and ice up the capillary. As Chennai is humid vacuuming is essential for long trouble free life of the AC.

In both my LG installations the installer initially had no core drill or vacuum pump, but when I refused to let them install they got both the items from their stores.

In short insist that the installer procure these before installation.

One thing that you must do is to seal the hole after the pipes are installed, else moisture and insects will travel through the gaps into the room.

Last edited by Aroy : 28th March 2021 at 11:10.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 11:15   #6787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
We are soon going to be renovating our space & it's upgrade time from our 3 window air cons to probably split ones. We have a .75 & 1.5 ton LG which are almost 20 years old along with a 1.5 ton Carrier. None of their remotes work any more. I don't think they will fetch a good price on exchange, hence thinking of selling them to folks like you. Please suggest ideas regd the same as well as which brand to go for. Want something everlasting. Architect has already suggested Mitsubishi, I am biased towards OG/Daikin etc. Over to you! Our usage isn't much except for the summers & a few odd times during the monsoons. We love our Atomberg & Superfan's too much.
Avoid OG. My son had two of them in Mumbai and they gave him problems constantly.

Every appliance can go bad and require repairs and service. So the best option is to find who has the best after sales service and warranty. LG I know and Daikin may have,

The current generation of Inverter AC's have a wide voltage tolerance range, so no stabiliser is required.

Insist on two things
1. Core drill for the hole in the wall.
2. Vacuum of the pipeline.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 16:30   #6788
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hello everyone. We are looking to buy a new 1.5T split AC. Confused between Daikin and Hitachi. Multiple models of both the brands are available around the 35K mark. Which would be a better choice? Reliability is the most important factor followed by silent operation.

Any other alternates which maybe considered?

Also, is the inverter type AC worth it considering its higher retail price and higher AMC price?
In continuation with my previous post, got the 1.5 ton 3 star Daikin inverter split AC. Also got the 4 year extended warranty from Reliance Digital. So the total warranty is for 5 years.

Price breakup-

1. AC- 36.3k(initial price-38k). This included standard installation cost as well.
2. Reliance extended warranty- 8.6k( original price- 12.5k)
3. Exchange price for the old AC- 2.2k
4. HDFC instant cashback- 2k
5. Extra installation charge- 3.3k

Total damage to the wallet- 44k.

The Reliance extended warranty covers practically everything including the condenser coil, the remote, gas filling etc.

As far the AC in concerned, so far it has been positive. The AC is indeed very silent and there is a fan speed which is even lower than the minimum fan speed. The AC has a Coanda mode which make the flaps go into their highest position(higher than it goes normally when in swing) and ensures the least amount of direct air. Being an inverter AC, you don't notice the compressor kicking in and going off. The functioning of the AC is quite seamless.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 16:43   #6789
Distinguished - BHPian

For folks who use A/c at home: A suggestion that I came across from a person who I find is very logical.

Instead of using the A/c at 18 -20C, set the temp to 26-28C - And use the fan at same time. He says it can help achieve sufficient cooling while reducing electricity bills.

Does any one want to try it out and share your experience ?

Note:
Proof of the pudding is in eating it. Let's not debate on if it will work or not. An easy way is to try it out, may be for a couple of days. But one would need to track electricity consumption.

2. I would have tested this, but I do not use A/c except when driving.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 17:21   #6790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For folks who use A/c at home: A suggestion that I came across from a person who I find is very logical.

Instead of using the A/c at 18 -20C, set the temp to 26-28C - And use the fan at same time. He says it can help achieve sufficient cooling while reducing electricity bills.

I have been doing this since last 2+ years and it is quite effective and pleasant as well. I think, someone suggested this option in this thread itself and since then i have never looked back. I keep the AC temp at 26/27 and fan speed at 3 (out of 5). I set the timer to turn off the AC after 2 hours.

Before using this option, I used to use my AC setting at 20-22 and even the cooling was not uniform when i use the swing. But with the fan running, it is now uniform throughout. So, this has been working really well for me.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 17:47   #6791
BHPian

Quote:

I have mentioned in my prior post as well that rather than going for fancy dual inverter blah blah technology to save electricity costs and attain perfect cooling experience, using the right temperature is equally effective. I have been keeping the thermostat for all my 3 A/c at 26 degrees with fan speed 3 or 2. Have never faced cooling issues or heart attacks due to electricity bills. Except 1 all my A/Cs are 3 star and non inverter. I refrain from sharing my correct electricity bill amount with friends and relatives and always inflate the numbers since I know people would not believe how less bill I get with 3 A/Cs.

I recommend this to everyone I know but people really find it hard to use this approach. Seems like using fan with A/C is a strict NO for most people out there.
Maverick Avi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 17:47   #6792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I've nothing but this for all my home ACs forever.

In cars - my swift was set to the lowest blue value by default. In S-Cross that has an automatic AC, it is set at 25 for 90% of the times. I switch from the auto mode to increasing the fan speed in case needed.
Old 28th March 2021, 18:14   #6793
Senior - BHPian

There are some recommendations to not use the Fan if you are on the top floor. The fan will push hot air down from the heated up slab. I have experienced myself when I was staying in Delhi during hot summers.

In Bangalore, I need to run ac for only 1 hour to cool the air and reduce the humidity. Rest the fan will take care.
poloman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 22:29   #6794
Distinguished - BHPian

I run the AC at 26-28 anyway, and hate sitting in a draft. However my draught-addicted wife will often sit under the fan.

OK, for those that like a draught --- I'd say to bear in mind that the combined effect of AC and fan might be even more drying on the skin than just AC.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 05:14   #6795
BHPian

Quote:

Note:
Proof of the pudding is in eating it. Let's not debate on if it will work or not. An easy way is to try it out, may be for a couple of days. But one would need to track electricity consumption.

2. I would have tested this, but I do not use A/c except when driving.
I do this all the time. Works great!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks