Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 11:15   #6721

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If it is running fine, why change it? I can understand efficiency gains if you are running the unit for 7 to 8 hours a day or longer. For 4 hours/day, you'd much rather just hold onto it. It is unlikely that any new aircon you buy today will last 14 years.
Well, it is a dilemma for sure. I was baited by news that all heavy appliances are going to see 7% price hikes due to rising input costs. And at some point, I have to change this Electrolux AC because it uses R22 refrigerant & future availability for gas refill is iffy.

Also, we have already started experiencing non-availability of parts due to old phased out model. There is a fan holder which broke and we are managing as is due to non-availability of spare part. It makes a bit of noise while running, but not so much to wake you up from sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Heck, your 14 year old AC may be still up and running after 20 years of service, while the new inverter may back up by then. My neighbours LG split is still functioning after nearly 18 years.
Hi Aroy,
That is why I was tilting towards buying a non-inverter AC. In your opinion, are the newer non-inverter ACs also susceptible to early breakdown? I am a noob in AC matters as I never shopped for one since 14 years

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th January 2021 at 15:46. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 11:33   #6722
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
Hi Aroy,
That is why I was tilting towards buying a non-inverter AC. In your opinion, are the newer non-inverter ACs also susceptible to early breakdown? I am a noob in AC matters as I never shopped for one since 14 years
There are two parts to breakdown
1. Electronics. Newer AC's have more electronics so they may fail faster.
2. Build quality. Major brands have moved away from normal split AC. All their innovation and quality goes towards the Inverter AC, so normal splits get a step motherly treatment.

In my experience if the usage is low then a local assembled AC gives the best VFM. If a nearby shop assembles them all the better. You will get lifelong service, as the shop is unlikely to close down. As long as they use generic components, there will be no dearth of spare parts.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 03:01   #6723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
I have to change this Electrolux AC because it uses R22 refrigerant & future availability for gas refill is iffy.
You will need refrigerant only if it leaks. If the unit is running well, it means installation is still holding up and should not require a refrigerant top up. Even if it does, it costs a fraction of what a new aircon is going to cost.

Keep that 45,000 to pay for the power bills to run that aircon for a few more years or till it breaks.

We are masters of the "jugaad". I am sure something can be done about that fan holder. I assume this is for the indoor unit. A local AC shop can sort you out.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 11:18   #6724
BHPian

Anybody know a reliable AC technician in Hyderabad? Am fed up of the unprofessional professionals that the OEM ASC and Urban Company dispatch every time.

Need it for uninstalling and installing 3 ACs since I am in in the process of moving houses. One of the AC has an issue of tripping during compressor start up so that needs to be rectified as well.

Also any guidelines on how much is charged for uninstalling and installation? UC quotes an atrocious 2600 per AC for this.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:58   #6725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Also any guidelines on how much is charged for uninstalling and installation? UC quotes an atrocious 2600 per AC for this.
I don't have any recommendations. Here's some general advice.

That is peanuts for the amount of labor required. I assume they are doing all the heavy lifting. More so, if these are all split units, as it requires a bit of work to uninstall and relocate them. Someone will have to drill a hole in the wall, unless the new location already has provision for the refrigerant and drain pipes to go out. Make sure they capture refrigerant in the outdoor unit and not let it out. This will save you some cash. Technicians are real smart when it comes to making a quick buck as they will say refrigerant needs to be filled. At the most, a top up will be needed if its a split unit. If its a window aircon, then none required. I am not a big fan of reusing copper pipes unless they are sealed tight at both ends at the time of uninstallation. If they are going to re use, make sure they evacuate the system properly during re installation.

Take a quote from a few OEM providers, so you know what the rates are. You can also gauge their interest in doing the job.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:39   #6726
BHPian

Looking for a general Advice on Air conditioners investment.

We are a nuclear family staying in a rented flat now is planning to move to a independent 3BHK house next year in Chennai. Currently no AC in the flat and need at least 1 unit for the upcoming summer. We would need at least 3 ACs (or 4) in the new house next year as we will have our parents visiting us often.

What would be the investment if we do centralized AC in the new house? I am confused with ductless/Central AC/Single outdoor unit/HAVC for home. I might rule out most of it if the investment goes high

Is there a portable Air Conditioner that is reliable and not expensive? I can plan to have 2 fixed ACs and one portable to move around as per need if I cant afford the central AC.
Old 8th January 2021, 05:35   #6727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsithan View Post
We are a nuclear family staying in a rented flat now is planning to move to a independent 3BHK house next year in Chennai.
Central or ducted systems in a home are best advised by a qualified technician from companies such as Blue Star, etc. Being an independent house, it maybe easier to install but not without all the ducting running around the house, the need for false ceiling to hide the ducting and space outside the house to keep all the aircon equipment. Operation noise will be higher too.

Wall mount Multi splits are the best option for bedrooms that are next to each other. Keep a dedicated control floor split unit for the living or dining area. The air handling of these units are higher than wall mount splits and can cool a large area quickly. Its an option. If you don't like taking up floor space, a large 2ton or higher capacity wall mount can also work.

Portable air conditioners are good for a study. Not a bedroom or living room.

For the short term, get some Inverter based unit for your rental. You can relocate the unit when you move into your new place. Buy new aircons when you move to Chennai.

Budget for around 150k minimum for 3 Inverters based air conditioners for your new home. Central or ducted systems will cost way more. A multi split will cost a little more than a single split but will save on some outdoor space. If you hand the business to one dealer, they could probably cut you a good deal for planning and installation. Its a year away so you have plenty of time.
Old 8th January 2021, 13:14   #6728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking for a general Advice on Air conditioners investment.

We are a nuclear family staying in a rented flat now is planning to move to a independent 3BHK house next year in Chennai. Currently no AC in the flat and need at least 1 unit for the upcoming summer. We would need at least 3 ACs (or 4) in the new house next year as we will have our parents visiting us often.

What would be the investment if we do centralized AC in the new house? I am confused with ductless/Central AC/Single outdoor unit/HAVC for home. I might rule out most of it if the investment goes high

Is there a portable Air Conditioner that is reliable and not expensive? I can plan to have 2 fixed ACs and one portable to move around as per need if I cant afford the central AC.
1. Central AC's are at least twice as expensive to buy and maintain. For a 3 BHK house VRF are the only option as other technology are for 10T+ cooling.

2. A 3 BHK house will need at least 4 indoor units and one outdoor. As a rough estimate you may need a minimum or 5T ODU, 6 would be better. Do consider and IDU for kitchen also.

3. Roughly a 5T ODU and 5 IDU would be in the region of 5L.
Old 8th January 2021, 13:33   #6729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Central or ducted systems in a home are best advised by a qualified technician from companies such as Blue Star, etc.

Wall mount Multi splits are the best option for bedrooms that are next to each other. Keep a dedicated control floor split unit for the living or dining area.

Portable air conditioners are good for a study. Not a bedroom or living room.

Budget for around 150k minimum for 3 Inverters based air conditioners for your new home. Central or ducted systems will cost way more. A multi split will cost a little more than a single split but will save on some outdoor space.
Thanks a ton for the options and the insights. I think I will keep away from portable and Duct/Central Aircons as the earlier is not suitable and the later is expensive considering the usage.

Do you mean the Standing Air cons when you say dedicated control floor unit?
Old 8th January 2021, 15:31   #6730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For a 3 BHK house VRF are the only option as other technology are for 10T+ cooling.
Thank you for the great points. I just searched in Internet for the VRF options in India and it appears all of them comes with heating option as well. Is there any VRF you know that has jus the cooling?
Old 9th January 2021, 11:17   #6731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the great points. I just searched in Internet for the VRF options in India and it appears all of them comes with heating option as well. Is there any VRF you know that has jus the cooling?
Search for non-heat pump options.
https://www.daikinindia.com/products...ioner/vrv-home

This has both heat pump and cooling only.

https://www.lg.com/in/business/vrf
https://www.bluestarindia.com/produc...s-100-inverter
Old 10th January 2021, 09:32   #6732
Senior - BHPian

Team, how reliable are hot and cold air conditioners?

I am looking for one and Godrej has an option.

https://www.amazon.in/Godrej-Split-C.../dp/B083NYQTWM
Old 10th January 2021, 11:19   #6733
BHPian

I had a weird question.
When I'm driving my safari, My palms and feet stay sweaty and really COLD but not comfortable and dry like in an air conditioned hotel.

Why is this? how can I fix it. and the safari storme is known to have a chiller of an AC but without a working temp dial. It just has cold and hot, nothing in between
Old 10th January 2021, 11:22   #6734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Team, how reliable are hot and cold air conditioners?

I am looking for one and Godrej has an option.

https://www.amazon.in/Godrej-Split-C.../dp/B083NYQTWM
There are two types of hot-cold AC.

1. With heat pump. These are very efficient.

2. With heater coil. These are the old technology and not worth investing now a days.

Godrej seems to be the old style AC. Apart from a 2 star rating the heating wit a heater coil is very energy inefficient. So I would avoid it. You would be better off with an oil filled heater.
Old 11th January 2021, 02:56   #6735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean the Standing Air cons when you say dedicated control floor unit?
Yes. One of these, as an example;
https://www.bluestarindia.com/produc...r-conditioners

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks