Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 01:38   #6601
BHPian

Re: Water leaking from IDU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There are two methods of cleaning the IDU thoroughly

1. Use specialized hood and pump to wash the IDU with water jet in situ. The hood collects the water and recirculates it, no leakages to the walls. This method is used by a lot of high end service providers. I think urbanclap did this.

2. Pump all the gas from the system into ODU. Seal the ODU valve and then disconnect the IDU, Take the IDU and wash it with water jet and brush. Dry it and reconnect it. After releasing the gas check for any leaks and rectify them. This was done by LG to one of my split AC.
Hi Guys,
Decided to do a full wet service on both my Daikin A.C's. This time the technician used the plastic hood method and a fine jet spray nozzle for the IDU. The ODU was done in place without releasing any gas using the same technique. It took about 1 hour to do each of the machines and 1 hour after that both machines were on and cooling well.
It cost me Rs. 700 for each machine.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 08:55   #6602
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Hey all,

So, we need a couple of more ACs in the newly built rooms in our ancestral homes.

Had ordered Carrier 1.5T Split off Amazon, but I am a bit wary.
It will be our first Carrier AC has a brand.
Update: Due to the locking and unlocking, out delivery scheduled for the last week in May has still not been despatched by Amazon as on date. Don't know what will happen further.
Is there anything about this AC, whether I should go ahead or cancel? Most recent Amazon reviews are negative, but I will not trust Amazon reviews alone.
Old 9th June 2020, 12:50   #6603
BHPian

The Toshiba Prodig.i3 i bought from Amazon has been working pretty well and am satisfied with it. Can't say much about actual efficiency yet but have the peace of mind of it being the most efficient AC.

What was not satisfactory was poor Amazon delivery. It was a prime delivery and Cloudtail India being the seller so expected good but the boxes were torn here and there and thankfully AC was not damaged. Also it was missing copper pipes and electrical wiring. Cost me an additional 2000 extra because of that but will recover that from Amazon.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 19:26   #6604
BHPian

Hi all,

We have a year old 1.5 ton bluestar AC at home! We are facing cooling issues since two weeks. First, it all started by showing dF on the display which means defrost mode from the manual. Later, the compressor started to cut off intermittently with the indoor unit throwing normal air. Now, the cutoff is very frequent and today the AC stopped cooling.

Like, the compressor will switch on and after 2 minutes it goes off. After 15 minutes, it does the same. We thought that it might be due to voltage fluctuations and tried changing the stabilizer and it didn't work?

So, any experts, what might be the problem? From the internet, it seems like a gas leak or low on gas. I'm unsure if a new AC needs refilling? If so, how much will be my bill for a 1.5 Ton AC?
Old 11th June 2020, 01:05   #6605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagann13 View Post
Hi all,

We have a year old 1.5 ton bluestar AC at home! We are facing cooling issues since two weeks. First, it all started by showing dF on the display which means defrost mode from the manual. Later, the compressor started to cut off intermittently with the indoor unit throwing normal air. Now, the cutoff is very frequent and today the AC stopped cooling.

Like, the compressor will switch on and after 2 minutes it goes off. After 15 minutes, it does the same. We thought that it might be due to voltage fluctuations and tried changing the stabilizer and it didn't work?

So, any experts, what might be the problem? From the internet, it seems like a gas leak or low on gas. I'm unsure if a new AC needs refilling? If so, how much will be my bill for a 1.5 Ton AC?
Hi,
I just had the same issue with my "Daikin" a month ago. After visits by three different technicians, the issue was finally found to be a faulty temperature sensor located on the IDU. Once changed, the A.C. was back to normal. Repair and call out charges came to Rs. 950.00.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 04:03   #6606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have a year old 1.5 ton bluestar AC at home!
I assume the unit is still under warranty? If so, call the Blue Star folks and let them figure it out. You have nothing to worry. If anything is busted or broken, they will replace it.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:26   #6607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi,
I just had the same issue with my "Daikin" a month ago. After visits by three different technicians, the issue was finally found to be a faulty temperature sensor located on the IDU. Once changed, the A.C. was back to normal. Repair and call out charges came to Rs. 950.00.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I assume the unit is still under warranty? If so, call the Blue Star folks and let them figure it out. You have nothing to worry. If anything is busted or broken, they will replace it.
Thank you so much!

So, I will definitely insist the technician to check the temperature sensor.

On the warranty part, it just got expired 5 days ago, sir. Will try to make a stance stating lockdown as our 3rd free service was due on may.!

Thanks a lot!
Old 11th June 2020, 11:20   #6608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I had similar problems with my Hitachi, and it was the fan. A slow fan will not blow air fast enough and hence frost builds up.

I suggest that you check :

1. Fan speed. Take a piece of paper. Hold it at the top edge and hold it in air path. Start with 1m away from the fan and slowly back off. If the paper bends due to air after 8 feet when the fan is set at maximum then the fan is OK, else it has gone weak.

2. When the compressor stops, check the IDU for ice build up. If it is there then
. Fan speed is low.
. Gas is low.
. Filter is blocked due to dust.

Clean the filter thoroughly, and then check.

If there is no ice build up and the filter is clean, then the thermostat needs to be checked. Set the thermostat at minimum and fan at maximum and run the AC. If it cools for a long time and does not switch off, then fan is the culprit at low speeds.

It may also happen that the condenser of IDU is choked with dust. In that case the fan may be fine but due to choking the air flow quite low.

Last edited by Aroy : 11th June 2020 at 11:22.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 11:55   #6609
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much!

So, I will definitely insist the technician to check the temperature sensor.

On the warranty part, it just got expired 5 days ago, sir. Will try to make a stance stating lockdown as our 3rd free service was due on may.!

Thanks a lot!
That's a great idea. All companies have been giving an extension on warranty so I hope it works out for you. By the way, the technician had to take the whole PCB away to get it repaired. Brought it back the next day.

Cheers.
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:03   #6610
BHPian

Quote:
I had similar problems with my Hitachi, and it was the fan. A slow fan will not blow air fast enough and hence frost builds up.

1. Fan speed. Take a piece of paper. Hold it at the top edge and hold it in air path. Start with 1m away from the fan and slowly back off.....

2. When the compressor stops, check the IDU for ice build up. If it is there then
. Fan speed is low.
. Gas is low.
. Filter is blocked due to dust.

Clean the filter thoroughly, and then check.

If there is no ice build up and the filter is clean, then the thermostat needs to be checked. Set the thermostat at minimum and fan at maximum and run the AC. If it cools for a long time and does not switch off, then fan is the culprit at low speeds.
Thank you so much!

1. I tried this and found out that the fan has become weak from my observations. Even in the turbo mode, the throw is not commendable after 3 feet. Also it gives a different buzzing sound intermittently (Trying to put in maximum efforts, but can't kind of sound). As my area is in Red zone, a technician is not assigned till now! So, what do you think might be the problem, sir? A faulty capacitor? I'll attach a picture of the dusty fan here! I will clean and check it out again.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20200611_114550.jpg

2. I don't have a temperature measuring device right now, but I can say that the coils in the IDU is very cold. Even the filters are cold and a little wet!

After putting it in turbo mode, the compressor didn't cutoff immediately as it happens before. The AC worked for longer than usual. The IDU is clean, even the coils. But the ODU coils are dusty. But the compressor fan runs normally, no leaks at the connection (tested using soap bubbles), and no electrical problems from our observations.

So, I guess it may the fan.

Also, mine comes with a iFeel mode in which, the remote will have a temperature sensor. I used it to see if the temperature sensor in the IDU is faulty, but the results were the same. Like, the temperature was set to 22°C in the remote and the temperature sensor in the remote is activated (iFeel). But the compressor didn't work to cool the room to 22°C.

Noob question, is this the temperature sensor on the IDU? It has got a bulb. My previous AC has a different looking temperature sensor.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20200611_114535.jpg

PS: No problem with the cooling when the compressor runs. It an absolute chiller when the compressor runs!

Last edited by Jagann13 : 11th June 2020 at 12:08. Reason: Grammar
Old 11th June 2020, 14:22   #6611
Distinguished - BHPian

That fan will not work well. The aerodynamics will be messed up by the dust. It will cause poor draught, poor cooling and ice.

I learnt about this from a Samsung engineer years ago. He came when his juniors had failed to fix our machine: such a simple thing but they had not done it.

Since then, I have seen it several times and cleaning the fan had always helped. The trouble is that it is a difficult DIY job as getting to the fan blades with a brush is really hard without disassembly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 15:21   #6612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much!

1. I tried this and found out that the fan has become weak from my observations. Even in the turbo mode, the throw is not commendable after 3 feet. Also it gives a different buzzing sound intermittently (Trying to put in maximum efforts, but can't kind of sound). As my area is in Red zone, a technician is not assigned till now! So, what do you think might be the problem, sir? A faulty capacitor? I'll attach a picture of the dusty fan here! I will clean and check it out again.

Noob question, is this the temperature sensor on the IDU? It has got a bulb. My previous AC has a different looking temperature sensor.

Attachment 2015690

PS: No problem with the cooling when the compressor runs. It an absolute chiller when the compressor runs!
Few things you can try :
1) to clean the blower blades, stick a 1 Inch paint brush through the air vent (switch the swing off first) and let it rub against the blower while it is running. be prepared for a dust bath though! It will run off a lot of the dust collected on the blower. but I suspect that is not your major problem.

2) Your problem seems to be the Temperature sensor. There are two temperature sensors in a Split unit. One of on the Air intake part of the coil which measures the air temperature - this is supposed to be attached to the fins on the coil - in your case, this seems to have become detached from the fins - do clean the sensor and reattach it to the fins.

3) the second temperature sensor is mounted on the Evaporator coils themselves and is meant to prevent icing on the coil. This is quite inside and more difficult to access.

In your case, either one (or both) of your temperature sensors is faulty or very dirty. You compressor and ODU seem to be fine.
Also, check whether your ODU fan is running at full speed or not - sometimes when the ODU fan (or capacitor) becomes faulty, the compressor will cool initially and then cutoff as soon as the condenser unit becomes hot (as the fan does not cool it sufficiently) so the room never gets cool enough.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 15:55   #6613
BHPian

Quote:

1. Fan speed. Take a piece of paper. Hold it at the top edge and hold it in air path. Start with 1m away from the fan and slowly back off. If the paper bends due to air after 8 feet when the fan is set at maximum then the fan is OK, else it has gone weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
That's a great idea. All companies have been giving an extension on warranty so I hope it works out for you. By the way, the technician had to take the whole PCB away to get it repaired. Brought it back the next day.

Cheers.
SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That fan will not work well. The aerodynamics will be messed up by the dust...

Since then, I have seen it several times and cleaning the fan had always helped. The trouble is that it is a difficult DIY job as getting to the fan blades with a brush is really hard without disassembly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Few things you can try :
1) to clean the blower blades, stick a 1 Inch paint brush through the air vent (switch the swing off first) and let it rub against the blower while it is running. be prepared for a dust bath though! It will run off a lot of the dust collected on the blower. but I suspect that is not your major problem.
Thank you all for your help! That was really helpful as the AC is back like before. It nearly took me 2 hours to clean the entire fan with a paint brush.

From a mechanical engineer, I learnt that the blower will have a forward curved fan. The dust filled the curvical blades and made it a flat vane fan and so this happened.

And thank you for educating me about the temperature sensor and the fan! I cleaned the sensor and fixed it on the fins. That's the learning for the day!

Team-bhp!

Last edited by Jagann13 : 11th June 2020 at 16:10.
Jagann13 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 17:44   #6614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Few things you can try :
1) to clean the blower blades, stick a 1 Inch paint brush through the air vent (switch the swing off first) and let it rub against the blower while it is running. be prepared for a dust bath though! ...
I do this job minimally dressed (remember to protect eyes) and go straight to the shower afterwards

Quote:
Thank you all for your help! That was really helpful as the AC is back like before. It nearly took me 2 hours to clean the entire fan with a paint brush.
Great! Glad to have been of help. That must have been a big job and rather tedious, but good result.

One thing it showed me is that the shape of the fan really matters, and if that shape is changed, it stops working well. They give these things fancy names in the brochures, but bottom line is that there is a point to those curves.
Old 11th June 2020, 18:36   #6615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From a mechanical engineer, I learnt that the blower will have a forward curved fan. The dust filled the curvical blades and made it a flat vane fan and so this happened.

And thank you for educating me about the temperature sensor and the fan! I cleaned the sensor and fixed it on the fins. That's the learning for the day!

Team-bhp!
Great to know and happy to help! BTW I am also a mechanical engineer but that is now a lost art after my Mba - now the only thing it is used for is the DIY stuff at home which I keep doing.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks