Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 10:11   #6481
Team-BHP Support

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks! Looked. No physical button anywhere on the air-con. Remote is the only way to start it.

Yeah, after trying everything, even I think it is a hardware failure.
Can you send a pic of all the buttons on the remote? Have you tried the Turbo button?

Is the outdoor unit visible? If yes can you go near it and see if the fan and compressor are kicking in.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 13:42   #6482
Senior - BHPian

Open the wall unit and near the covered switchboard you would see a small black button to manually operate the AC. Switch off the AC using the remote with the mains still on, thereafter open the wall unit and press this small black button. If everything else ok, your AC should start cooling under default settings ~which is at a temperature setting of 24 degrees.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 12:26   #6483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guess will just wait for the 20th and call an electrician over.
May be ask for remote online assistance? LG seems to be doing it :
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-screenshot_20200419122547_whatsapp.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 19:41   #6484
BHPian

This is my 11 month old Mitsubishi Heavy Industries indoor unit. Should I spray this myself with a can of paint/rubber? I have a rubber coating spray this is normally used for under chassis coating. Or should I have a service technician look at it? I cleaned this unit myself today.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1587305304734.jpg  

Old 19th April 2020, 23:13   #6485
BHPian

Guys suggest me a good 1.5 ton window AC which should last atleast 7 - 10 years with minimal maintenance. Price range under 35K.
Old 20th April 2020, 00:17   #6486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Guys suggest me a good 1.5 ton window AC which should last atleast 7 - 10 years with minimal maintenance. Price range under 35K.
Have had a Voltas 1.5T since 2013. Shifted it twice (so three places). No issues ever except now (2020) I have to replace/refill the gas. Otherwise regular service is sufficient.

But my use has been mainly during summers. Rarely used it during other seasons.

Last edited by sunilch : 20th April 2020 at 00:18.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:01   #6487
BHPian

Quote:
We have been using a window AC from 1990 onward and we have changed the AC about 6 times in all these years. The best was Westinghouse AC which served us for nearly 10 years. Samsung lasted just about 4 years. Panasonic did better - 6 years. Voltas with Blue fins is a lot better.

The compressors last longer than other components. Usually the outer fins start shedding which results in the compressor drawing excessive current and trips. The cost of replacing the coils, plus gas charge and labor comes to about 9k for a 1.5 ton here. So we replace the entire unit.

Voltas in our experience build better quality components including the outer steel shell. Our earlier LG AC developed severe noise due to the shell warping on its own. The warped shell skews the fan housing which fouls the shroud resulting in noise.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:05   #6488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am also in the market for a 1.5T window AC. This will be my main high usage AC and the room is such that I cannot install a split unit, so window it has to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Have had a Voltas 1.5T since 2013. Shifted it twice (so three places). No issues ever except now (2020) I have to replace/refill the gas. Otherwise regular service is sufficient.

But my use has been mainly during summers. Rarely used it during other seasons.
I am open to buying Voltas but the specs mention a noise level of 54-55 db compared to Hitachi models that are 44-45 db. This seems to be a big difference.

Also evaluating this unique model from LG.
https://www.lg.com/in/window-ac/lg-JW-Q18WUZA
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KRBW7X8/..._3BzMEb879W4TC

The only window 5 star inverter AC that I could find. The specs seem good but I have the following doubts:

- Brand LG : We have not been served well by an LG AC at home, so apprehensive

- Why is no other brand offering this tech?

- Worth the premium?

- Ease of service / repair / part replacement.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th April 2020 at 11:48.
Old 20th April 2020, 11:40   #6489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am also in the market for a 1.5T window AC. This will be my main high usage AC and the room is such that I cannot install a split unit, so window it has to be.
Also evaluating this unique model from LG.
https://www.lg.com/in/window-ac/lg-JW-Q18WUZA
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07KRBW7X8/..._3BzMEb879W4TC
- Brand LG : We have not been served well by an LG AC at home, so apprehensive

- Why is no other brand offering this tech?

- Worth the premium?

- Ease of service / repair / part replacement.
As far as I am concerned LG service (at least for me) is way ahead of others. I had Hitachi for 20 years, initially one and finally two windows and one split.

I bought a Daikin and my son General. The problem with all the high flying brands is that they are so good that there is very poor service to back them. Hence as long as they function these brands are excellent. But once you require service/repair they falter.

In contrast LG has built up excellent service network, If you have an extended warranty (I had 6 years for WM and now 5 years for two split inverter AC), the response is fast, normally within a few hours of lodging complain with the call centre.

One thing that I love about LG AC extended warranty is that it covers every thing (except a few rubber parts) - parts, labour gas no questions asked. So if anything goes wrong they will come and repair it, replacing any part required.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:13   #6490
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience with AC is limited to one unit that was installed in 2009. It is a LG 1.5 ton split. It has been a true workhorse. No problems whatsoever. The blower is bit noisy but nothing to be bothered much about.

It is usually run for 3-4 months a year. I pressure wash the outdoor unit thoroughly every year before the onset of summer when it is waken up from hibernation. Indoor unit was dry cleaned yearly by LG. But the fins in the indoor unit had lot muck collected and had started to smell which would not go by dry dusting/cleaning. Got the wet AC cleaning from Urban Company just before the lock down. Was amazed at the amount of black muck that came out from between the fins and the barrel fan. After the cleaning, the cooling has increased dramatically and it now chills to the bone. I highly recommend getting the wet cleaning done of the indoor unit yearly. The fungus,mold growth in the cooling fins of the indoor unit can cause nasty respiratory issues.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 20th April 2020 at 13:14.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 16:04   #6491
Distinguished - BHPian

Question for those who wet clean the ODU:

Do we only spray water on the ODU fins? What if water gets inside the unit? Is it safe? How much downtime is expected since I believe we will need to get the ODU completely dried up before operating again.

Last edited by saket77 : 20th April 2020 at 16:05.
Old 20th April 2020, 16:38   #6492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Do we only spray water on the ODU fins? What if water gets inside the unit? Is it safe? How much downtime is expected since I believe we will need to get the ODU completely dried up before operating again.
Don't spray water on the fan, i have done the mistake once and AC stopped working, this was the first time i was cleaning the ODU. Later i found out that ODU fan was not working, checked the error codes and it gave fan error.

Called the service people and they had to change the fan motor. After that i just pour water on the ODU carefully, making sure nothing gets inside. Been cleaning this way for last 7-8 years for indoor and outdoor units and AC is working fine.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 17:11   #6493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Water will get into the unit. More so when you use a pressure washer. Key is to allow the unit to dry in the sunlight for 12 hours before switching on the power supply back. This activity has to be done with the AC mains unplugged. The hot sun will ensure that any moisture inside the ODU is evaporated.

I have been pressure washing the outdoor unit for the past 6 years and have religiously followed the sunlight drying method for 12 hours. No problem whatsoever.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 17:14   #6494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have been pressure washing the outdoor unit for the past 6 years and have religiously followed the sunlight drying method for 12 hours. No problem whatsoever.
What exactly do you mean when you say the outdoor unit is to be cleaned? Is it only the outside of the box that is cleaned and the interior is to be kept water/ moisture free? In that case, is it as simple as just cleaning the outside of the ODU box with a gentle water wash just to get rid of dust accumulated on the surface? Or is it something more comprehensive than that?

How often is it required to be done? I have just got an 1.5 ton dual inverter LG AC installed last month, just before the lockdown, and haven't doe any cleaning of the ODU yet.

By the way, the new LG ACs come with 5- year PCB warranty, not just the 10 year compressor warranty which it earlier came with. I think this change has been done on the newest crop of their machines. Really liked this, since the PCB is an expensive component to replace from what I heard.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th April 2020 at 17:18.
Old 20th April 2020, 17:14   #6495
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Rahul and Sagar. The good thing is my ODU is placed under a shade which protects it from rain water and the hot sun. But that will also make it little difficult to dry. Thanks for the input guys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks