Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 21:24   #5161
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I own a Whirlpool Window A/C in the other room and don't remember doing anything other than regular cleaning for it in the ten years of buying. I am new to split A/C's. How frequent does the gas need to be refilled or recharged?
The gas never needs to be refilled or recharged unless it leaks. Then the cause of the leak needs to be cured.

Have been meaning to ask the general opinion of Whirlpool current devices. The look very smart!

Also wondering about two other makes, current T-BHP score:

Samsung: went down hill for a while. How is it now?

LG: if their support for AC is as good as for other devices (seems to be a pretty good experience overall) does that make LG worth buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
This is probably called innovation !! AC can be used as Fridge to keep vegetables and vice versa !!
I'm happy to say that the onion episode is closed!
Old 25th April 2017, 22:10   #5162
BHPian

Quote:
Looking to install a 1 Ton Split A/C at my place in Chennai. Got a quote from a dealer for a Hitachi 3 Star for 30K. Total comes to 35K for installation, stabilizer etc. It is available immediately.

Only fly in the ointment is that it is a R22 type AC. I was asking for a R32 or R410 and am particularly keen on Mitsubishi. My sister's place has a few of these machines and I just love the volume of air it throws out compared to the rest of the machines.

It seems like a no-brainer to wait for the next batch of Mitsubishi to arrive and go for a 1 ton from it. But just confirming, is R22 v R32/410 really such a big deal as it is made out. Especially with the non-availability of the refrigerant in the later years.

I own a Whirlpool Window A/C in the other room and don't remember doing anything other than regular cleaning for it in the ten years of buying. I am new to split A/C's. How frequent does the gas need to be refilled or recharged?

Any other maintenance tasks that I need to be aware of?
Yes it's a big deal. R410a has way more GWP as compared to R32 and is as well less efficient (internet) then R32. As long as you keep using R410a it is contributing more towards the GW which as per the current read on internet is more damaging.

So R32 is the best option. Mitsubishi has R32 but they are non-invertor AC.

My suggestion would be go for R32 for the environment reason as it would be priceless contribution. Just my 2 cents :-)
Old 27th April 2017, 13:07   #5163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Yes it's a big deal. R410a has way more GWP as compared to R32 and is as well less efficient (internet) then R32. As long as you keep using R410a it is contributing more towards the GW which as per the current read on internet is more damaging.

So R32 is the best option. Mitsubishi has R32 but they are non-invertor AC.

My suggestion would be go for R32 for the environment reason as it would be priceless contribution. Just my 2 cents :-)
The below screenshot I took off bijlibachao.com seems to reinstate your point. Looks like R32 is the best of the compromise currently available.

Was looking at Panasonic as well since a user has mentioned a below 30K price. Not sure what refrigerant is used by them. Most of the websites don't seem to carry that information.

Not keen on Inverter models. I am OK with the fixed speed ones, will maybe move to them when they have been tested thoroughly in our conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The gas never needs to be refilled or recharged unless it leaks. Then the cause of the leak needs to be cured.
That seems reassuring and thank you for replying.

My sister has three Whirlpool Split A/Cs (two of them are 5 years old) and it is the only brand that seems to work for them. They are wary of LG. Two units stopped functioning (not sure why), they were bought along with Whirlpool machines.

No idea about Samsung.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac.png  

Old 27th April 2017, 21:07   #5164
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the Whirlpool/LG feedback.
Old 27th April 2017, 21:25   #5165
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The below screenshot I took off bijlibachao.com seems to reinstate your point. Looks like R32 is the best of the compromise currently available.
Even though GW potential of R410a is higher than R22, R410a is better in the sense it does not cause Ozone layer depletion
Old 27th April 2017, 21:40   #5166
Senior - BHPian

R410a runs at much higher pressure than R32 and thus can develop leaks. R32 with copper condenser is still best bet
Old 27th April 2017, 23:25   #5167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Even though GW potential of R410a is higher than R22, R410a is better in the sense it does not cause Ozone layer depletion
R32 as well has zero ozone deplition. 1/3rd GWP of R22 And R410a.

My Hitachi Inverter refrigerator has 600a refrigerant. Zero ozone deplition and GWP of only 6. This refrigerant is yet to make it to AC.
Old 28th April 2017, 10:12   #5168
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
R32 as well has zero ozone deplition. 1/3rd GWP of R22 And R410a.

My Hitachi Inverter refrigerator has 600a refrigerant. Zero ozone deplition and GWP of only 6. This refrigerant is yet to make it to AC.
R32, R290 and R 600a are better then R410a. But R290 AC's are damn expensive ( godrej has R290 models in India)
Old 28th April 2017, 10:49   #5169
BANNED

Quote:
By and large refrigerator refrigerants are not preferred in ACs. the only R12 AC I know was the first version of the Voltas Crystal with the B1G compressor.
Old 28th April 2017, 12:03   #5170
BHPian

Quote:
R32, R290 and R 600a are better then R410a. But R290 AC's are damn expensive ( godrej has R290 models in India)
Great I didn't knew Godrej has a much better green solution.

Greed to save has no end. If there is reasonably priced technology which has less harm to environment then at this stage R32 is the only refrigerant and ACs with it should be on top of the list in preference.
Old 28th April 2017, 12:11   #5171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Greed to save has no end. If there is reasonably priced technology which has less harm to environment then at this stage R32 is the only refrigerant and ACs with it should be on top of the list in preference.
Yes. In fact the Godrej ACs are also greener in yet another aspect. Recently I saw a Godrej 1 ton inverter AC with ISEER rating of 5.8!!! The sales guy was claiming a consumption of only 500 watts, plus or minus. That's crazy low if you ask me.

However, the challenge is with the reasonable pricing of such appliances. The Godrej one was 58k I think. That pricing completely negates the advantages on all fronts. I finally picked up a Voltas Inverter for 32.5K all inclusive and that consumes around 970 watts. However at Rs.28k less than the Godrej a back of the envelope calculation told me that I was better off with the Voltas AC irrespective of its close to double the power consumption as against the Godrej AC!

Last edited by Zappo : 28th April 2017 at 14:15. Reason: Typos corrected
Old 28th April 2017, 12:28   #5172
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Godrej has priced them insanely. Just like CFL and Led bulbs are priced. As advantage in terms of power savings and saving earth( noble cause) is fully negated by pricing. For example in Bangalore, the usage will be limited to two months @ 6-7 hours per day., it does not make sense to pay double and triple the price for R290 models over R22 models
Old 28th April 2017, 13:35   #5173
BHPian

Quote:
Godrej has priced them insanely. Just like CFL and Led bulbs are priced. As advantage in terms of power savings and saving earth( noble cause) is fully negated by pricing. For example in Bangalore, the usage will be limited to two months @ 6-7 hours per day., it does not make sense to pay double and triple the price for R290 models over R22 models
Money spent can be earned back. Environment lost cannot be earned.

If we can contribute less heat in those 6-7 hours it's helping slow down/reduce GW.
So high money spent for environment cannot be negated if it is helping in the larger cause which is irreversible.

And why R290? Why not R32 when it's available at a reasonable cost. Even that could help as compared to R22 and R410a.

As technology progresses and mass production happens, R290 would be the choice in future may be if prices are reasonable.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:01   #5174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes. In fact the Godrej ACs are also greener from yet another aspect. Recently I saw Godrej 1 ton inverter ACs with ISEER rating of 5.8!!! The sales guy was claiming a consumption of only 500 watts, plus or minus. That's crazy low if you ask me. ... ... ...
My inverter AC has two "eco" settings reducing the maximum power. I think that some inverter ACs can be set to run at half-power or less. With current consumption of 400-500 watts or less, we will soon be able to run one off the inverter!

Or more seriously, from a small generator or modest solar set up. Inverter ACs lack the surge start-up power drawn on every power up of a conventional system, but I suppose they still draw a lot of current to get started in the first place.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:33   #5175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes. In fact the Godrej ACs are also greener in yet another aspect. Recently I saw a Godrej 1 ton inverter AC with ISEER rating of 5.8!!! The sales guy was claiming a consumption of only 500 watts, plus or minus. That's crazy low if you ask me.

However, the challenge is with the reasonable pricing of such appliances. The Godrej one was 58k I think. That pricing completely negates the advantages on all fronts. I finally picked up a Voltas Inverter for 32.5K all inclusive and that consumes around 970 watts. However at Rs.28k less than the Godrej a back of the envelope calculation told me that I was better off with the Voltas AC irrespective of its close to double the power consumption as against the Godrej AC!
About ISEER , yes that's one contribution to help environment by going for the highest rating. But if that is not affordable, the least and the very basic i.e. refrigerant should be wisely selected. Which again is R32 based on current market scenario and tech advancement.

Most Viewed