Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 09:26   #3661
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I have this peculiar problem in Chennai .....
Swift, it is likely that the ODU has built in low and high voltage cut outs and a time delay relay.
Your stabilizer, a two step model, probably gives output voltage that is too low, when mains is high, for the ODU to operate.

Also, generally, the mains voltage is higher at night than during the day. During the day all offices and industrial loads cause the voltage to dip.
At night, with voltage high, the stabilizer steps it down to may be 180 Volts, which could be below the cut-in threshold of the ODU. During the day, with mains voltage at maybe 180 or 190 volts, the stabilizer steps it up to 230 or 240 volts.

Buy another stabilizer only after confirming what I have said. The lowest output voltage should not be below 200 volts. Three step or four step stabilizers can manage this well.
Old 19th June 2014, 16:28   #3662
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to visit our shop last weekend. The FTKP ODU is, as someone rightly said, as silent as a refrigerator. Unless one stands too close to the unit they wouldn't be able to make out whether the ODU is even powered on or not.

IDU is again, way too silent. I tried almost all functions I could comprehend on the remote, great stuff! One thing that I noticed was that everytime I would switch off the AC and power it back on, it would take exactly 3 mins before it starts cooling in the normal mode, any idea why that is?

Another question, what would be the difference in electricity consumption between a 5 star window AC compared to a regular non-star window AC. Reason I ask is because for the last month my electricity bill increased by 3k. The AC runs on an average 14-15 hours everyday and on weekends about 20-22 hrs at a go. I know the usage is high and 3k would be justified but I just want to understand whether I am really getting any benefit for having a 5-star AC.
Old 19th June 2014, 16:47   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
One thing that I noticed was that everytime I would switch off the AC and power it back on, it would take exactly 3 mins before it starts cooling in the normal mode, any idea why that is?
It's normal and is present in all ac. It's the delay for the compressor as they can't be resarted immediately because of the system pressure! They are only designed to maintain the pressure and not to start 'in' the pressure. There must be a bypass button on the remote to start it immediately, like in voltas ac there is a turbo button to start it immediately.
Old 19th June 2014, 17:54   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
.... There must be a bypass button on the remote to start it immediately, like in voltas ac there is a turbo button to start it immediately.
There should not be such a button on the remote control. Some voltage stabilizers have it but it is dangerous to start a compressor right after it has stopped, without giving a few minutes break.
The turbo button probably works for the fan motor only.
Old 19th June 2014, 18:42   #3665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There should not be such a button on the remote control. Some voltage stabilizers have it but it is dangerous to start a compressor right after it has stopped, without giving a few minutes break.
The turbo button probably works for the fan motor only.
Now every brand has a different meaning for some buttons, in voltas Windows ac which we have in our house, the turbo bypass the compressor delay and starts it immediately. But it won't function till machine has been rebooted. There is however a flaw in its design, if you reboot within 2 min and press the button, the compressor gets tripped.
Old 19th June 2014, 21:56   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
... There is however a flaw in its design, if you reboot within 2 min and press the button, the compressor gets tripped.
Ha ha, this is not a flaw! It is by design and simply vindicates what I said earlier!
Old 20th June 2014, 17:43   #3667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Swift, it is likely that the ODU has built in low and high voltage cut outs and a time delay relay.
Your stabilizer, a two step model, probably gives output voltage that is too low, when mains is high, for the ODU to operate.
Thanks for this pointer. I'll check if my ODU has built-in time delay relay.
During night time, sometimes cooling is present for the first time. But after the stabilizer cuts off and later stats again, the ODU won't start. Probably the timer relay of ODU playing.

Quote:
Also, generally, the mains voltage is higher at night than during the day.
The exact opposite is true in my case (esp in Summer)
During night times, everyone within my transformer area switch on their A/C making the voltage to drop.
In mornings, I do not see this "no cool air" problem. Its alright. But anyways I'll verify the pointer you gave during day time too by manually switching off stabilizer (no cut-off in morning as voltage is fine) and switching it on again to see if the second time start gives cool air.
Old 21st June 2014, 12:01   #3668
BHPian

Hi Team,

As I have already updated regarding the purchase of the Split AC.Please find attached the pics of the ODU , IDU & Model specifications along with Star Rating label.I got this for 36500 INR in Chandigarh & we are quite comfortable with
the cooling capacity as well as power unit consumption.

Last night I installed one separate power meter between the connection of the MCB and the AC, since my Landlord wanted that asap.I started the AC at 8 PM and turned it off at 7 AM.Outside temperature was close to 40 to 42 degree.The AC temperature setting was 28 degree with auto swing& fan and one ceiling fan on during that duration.The power units consumed were only 5 according to the power meter.So, if calculated on per hour basis the keeping the cost per unit as 5 Rs, it comes to 2.27 Rs/hour only for AC and not for the Ceiling FAN for total 11 hours.The room size is 14x12 & situated on ground floor with west site exposed to sun only.

I hope this is a good purchase.But, please share your comments on this.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20140621_114853.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20140621_114755.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20140621_090222.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20140621_090206.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_20140621_090127.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2014, 01:22   #3669
Senior - BHPian

It's a good purchase, what with the machine coming from one of India's largest (at one time the largest) integrated white goods manufacturing plant. Located close to Paithan, famous for 'Paithani" sarees (silk with patterns woven using pure gold thread) and it's musical fountain gardens complete with a very popular light and sound show.

Coming to the install itself, I like the powder coated stand. These are fast becoming the de-facto standard. Also good to note that the install kit came with the machine including the corrugated plastic drain pipe. BTW what are the red wires for? You may want to get the extra large hole filled up and plastered as it might lead to seepage ingress in to your room during the rainy season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
But, please share your comments on this.
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:18   #3670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
BTW what are the red wires for? You may want to get the extra large hole filled up and plastered as it might lead to seepage ingress in to your room during the rainy season.
Hi Khoj,

Thanks for the comment.Red wires are temporary connection from the main meter board to the AC MCB , since I dint want to take chance by relying on the existing 30 years old wiring.Also, may be we will have to vacate this rented room sooner so dint want to close the drilled hole before that, as per the plan.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:31   #3671
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath View Post
o General is the ultimat if they provide witha split but it has only 1 tonne capacity and ..next i feel it has to be hitachi .. causei am not too happy with lg
It is General and the 'o' is the logo! It was pointed out to me, on this very thread ages ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Its Hitachi for me.... Hitachi's compressor is considered to be the best compared to LG/Samsung...
Hitachi will be in the same league as Daikin, General and (now) Sharp but for the pathetic after sales service. LG/Samsung are not considered in the same league. Panasonic is somewhere in between.
Old 1st July 2014, 16:46   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Ok so my wife called me up and said that the Daikin FTKP 1.5 ton IDU started leaking water from where air comes out. Its coming out from the right side. I cleaned the filter 2 weeks back so what could be the possible issue here?

I can't really go and check before Saturday so anything that the workers there or she can check herself?
Old 1st July 2014, 17:20   #3673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Ok so my wife called me up and said that the Daikin FTKP 1.5 ton IDU started leaking water from where air comes out. Its coming out from the right side. I cleaned the filter 2 weeks back so what could be the possible issue here?
The condensate drain pipe is clogged or air locked. Blowing into it from the free end should resolve the issue.
Old 1st July 2014, 17:59   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Shifted home and got my Samsung split relocated last weekend. Un-installation charges were 840 including tax and re-installation was 1500 including tax ! The normal re-installation is 1250, but 250 extra for new bolts & fitting charges for the L bracket.

What was the most worrisome part though is how these guys fit the ac with absolutely no safety precautions. This guy was standing on the window shade on a 4th floor flat with no safety harness, nothing. One small error and its the end of the road for him

When I questioned him on this, he points to his head and says, "everything is written" !! Apparently the company provides them with all the equipment, but these guys have to collect it & return it back after usage which is too much for them to do. If an accident does happen, apart from the obvious loss of life, imagine the psychological effect it will have on the person living there. It gave me the creeps just looking at the guy standing there like that.
Old 1st July 2014, 20:53   #3675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
.... Apparently the company provides them with all the equipment, but these guys have to collect it & return it back after usage which is too much for them to do. ....
And is that so surprising?
Why should a company have procedures like returning the harness after each use? Ever thought about that?
Why can the company not make it a standard issue to each of their technicians and also keep track of whether it is being used regularly and whether it has been abused and needs to be replaced?
The harsh fact is that Indians do not value life! The so-called 'issue' of safety harness etc. is essentially only on paper (and never actually intended to be used as needed), to get their Document of Compliance!
They make systems such that it is far too tiresome to abide by them.
I would not blame the technicians for this; someone much higher up the ladder is the true culprit!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks