Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2014, 23:37   #3556
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
My parents bedroom size is around 125-130 sq ft excluding furniture. With furniture the carpet area is less. This 1 ton R32 Dakin model purchased a month back isn't cooling the room efficiently. If set at 24 during mid afternoon when the outside temp was 37-38, it takes for ever to cool up to 26 forget 24. There is no direct sunlight but its a top floor.
Air conditioning is on room volume, so you cannot exclude furniture from carpet area because there is air volume above the furniture, upto ceiling. If by excluding furniture you have excluded the bed, that will be a huge difference.

So it appears the room is fairly larger than 130 sqft. In addition it is top floor. So 1 ton in under capacity by a huge margin.
Old 1st June 2014, 10:33   #3557
BHPian

After reading most threads here, started my hunt yesterday. Split for 12*12 room. I was ok with a 1Ton but what happens if i shift house in near future.
Local stores in my locality were not stocking 1Ton. And not much brands to choose from too. They had the conventional LGs and Samsungs. In some shops they had Voltas. I was inclined a bit towards Blue Star, Carrier, General, Lloyd and Daikin. None of these were available in local shops.
Paid a visit to Croma yesterday. They had all the brands except for Lloyd and Daikin. The SA was suggesting the 1.5ton for being future proof. Out of the lot, Blue Star was ok with my budget of Rs. 34200. After much bargain, got a free stabilizer with it.
The model is Blue Star 3HW18FA1 with 3 Star rating.
Expecting delivery tomorrow and installation before Wednesday.

Any reviews on this?
Old 1st June 2014, 12:02   #3558
Senior - BHPian

LOL, what's the point after having bought it.

Hope the B.S. works out for you else there is always 'daddy cool' on the telly (atleast for this season).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Any reviews on this?
Old 1st June 2014, 19:05   #3559
Max
BHPian

Quote:
After reading most threads here, started my hunt yesterday. Split for 12*12 room. I was ok with a 1Ton but what happens if i shift house in near future.
Local stores in my locality were not stocking 1Ton. And not much brands to choose from too. They had the conventional LGs and Samsungs. In some shops they had Voltas. I was inclined a bit towards Blue Star, Carrier, General, Lloyd and Daikin. None of these were available in local shops.
Paid a visit to Croma yesterday. They had all the brands except for Lloyd and Daikin. The SA was suggesting the 1.5ton for being future proof. Out of the lot, Blue Star was ok with my budget of Rs. 34200. After much bargain, got a free stabilizer with it.

Any reviews on this?
If you will buy bigger A/C cut off time will be higher which will leave more humidity in your room which is very uncomfortable specially in little colder days. Never buy oversize A/C, little undersize is good IMO.
Old 1st June 2014, 19:20   #3560
BHPian

Quote:

Any reviews on this?
There is a Panasonic cube model that is 1.25 T but is marketed as having higher cooling capacity. You should check that out
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:43   #3561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
LOL, what's the point after having bought it.
For self-satisfaction of not making a bad decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
If you will buy bigger A/C cut off time will be higher which will leave more humidity in your room which is very uncomfortable specially in little colder days. Never buy oversize A/C, little undersize is good IMO.
I am planning to use the Blue Star in my master bedroom and shift the Samsung to the smaller bedroom. Hope this way my selection of 1.5 ton would be justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
There is a Panasonic cube model that is 1.25 T but is marketed as having higher cooling capacity. You should check that out
My friend is using it and not satisfied with its performance. Anyways, I have already bought the Blue Star and awaiting installation.
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:26   #3562
Senior - BHPian

Got the installation done for my inverter split AC yesterday - Daikin FTKP 1.5 ton

The IDU is the most silent I've ever come across. Its got both vertical and horizontal swing, which I never even knew was possible with split ACs.

The fitment of the IDU is not the best though, @khoj was right about this! The IDU has a slight bulge in the lower horizontal part of the unit, the IDU looked way too flimsy when compared to my previous Samsung split.

I didn't notice the ODU sound but will share my feedback on that as well.

But a problem is that the ODU was installed in front of 5-7 electricity meters (like ~6-7 ft away on the opposite wall) so that landlord has asked the ODU to be moved a little which is going to cost me another 400-500 bucks.
Old 4th June 2014, 15:38   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Update: Got the ODU moved away from the electricity meters, another 1000 bucks for this!

Finally the setup is complete but for 50k this sure ain't cheap!
Old 4th June 2014, 20:23   #3564
BHPian

One of my close relative is looking for two split ACs,one for 12x14' and other for smaller room. Both rooms are on upper floor with roof and most walls facing sun.
Should he buy 1.5 and 1 T for these rooms or 1ton should be enough for each room?
He is interested in Hitachi or blue star,which is better in long run for given price?
What about Voltas ACs, has the quality gone down in recent years?
Old 4th June 2014, 21:29   #3565
BHPian

Dont know whether to blame Croma or Blue Star. The expected within 48 hrs installation and demo is yet to come. Calls to Croma has the generic answer. Today for sure and tomorrow for sure.

Will it help if I directly call Blue Star and co-ordinate?
Old 5th June 2014, 01:10   #3566
Senior - BHPian

The louvre's moving left and right and the horizontal slats moving up and down is called 3D air flow these days. This feature used to be found exclusively in the General machines of 1.5tonnes and above. now-a-days it is found in a various other makes too.

How I wish I was wrong about the IDU. You may want to have the install guy take a look at it. Bulge at the bottom of the IDU is mostly a result of one or more of the plastic locks being left unfastened. A knowledgable push with one's palm or thumbs could sort it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
The IDU is the most silent I've ever come across. Its got both vertical and horizontal swing, which I never even knew was possible with split ACs.

The fitment of the IDU is not the best though, @khoj was right about this! The IDU has a slight bulge in the lower horizontal part of the unit, the IDU looked way too flimsy when compared to my previous Samsung split.

12' x 14' or smaller (say 10' x 10') in Batala, exposed roof and sun facing walls demand a 1.5 ton at the minimum.

Of the shortlisted brands I would go with Hitachi. Inverter if possible, at least in the room which is going to see usage during day time too. Avoid Blue Star, Voltas, the Koreans & the Chinese. Look at Sharp inverters as also Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
One of my close relative is looking for two split ACs,one for 12x14' and other for smaller room. Both rooms are on upper floor with roof and most walls facing sun.
Should he buy 1.5 and 1 T for these rooms or 1ton should be enough for each room?
He is interested in Hitachi or blue star,which is better in long run for given price?
What about Voltas ACs, has the quality gone down in recent years?
Old 7th June 2014, 19:16   #3567
BHPian

Guys - my carrier window ac is tripping compressor and then it takes about 15-20 minutes to start again. It is a 1.5T WAC and I am on ground floor, sun facing side. I got it checked by a local mechanic and he serviced(cleaned) and changed capacitor but the problem still remains. Anything else could be a problem ?
Old 8th June 2014, 11:48   #3568
BANNED

@saurabh2000; If it happens after a ffew minutes then it may be a choked condenser. Get a 'wet service' done.
Old 8th June 2014, 15:16   #3569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
Guys - my carrier window ac is tripping compressor and then it takes about 15-20 minutes to start again. It is a 1.5T WAC and I am on ground floor, sun facing side. I got it checked by a local mechanic and he serviced(cleaned) and changed capacitor but the problem still remains. Anything else could be a problem ?

Tripping compressor has no correlation with the capacitor, apparently the dirt pileup is choking the condenser, as suggested get a thorough wet service, supervise closely in your presence for thoroughness

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 8th June 2014, 19:33   #3570
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Does anyone here have experience with portable AC ? I was looking for something mobile so that I can use it in hall kids room, guest room etc.

I already have a LG in my bedroom so looking for a second one which is mobile.

I have not heard of many brands except for chroma and Lloyd
Is it worth buying, what are the options for me?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks