Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2014, 19:59   #3571
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@saurabh2000; If it happens after a ffew minutes then it may be a choked condenser. Get a 'wet service' done.
THANKS. It was a wet service and the rear grill was loosened and dry cleaned followed by water cleaning. it was choked from inner side, however even after that, the tripping is happening. I am told by the carrier technician, that the compressor (toshiba make in it) has become weaker and need to be replaced. Any other option I have to postpone this to next season and do some jugaad here ?
Old 8th June 2014, 20:17   #3572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
... and changed capacitor but the problem still remains. ....
Quote:
THANKS. It was a wet service and the rear grill was loosened and dry cleaned followed by water cleaning. it was choked from inner side, however even after that, the tripping is happening. ...
It could be that the changed capacitor is not of the correct value. This would alter the speed of the fan motor; it could be running slower and thus not delivering full air flow.
Is the old capacitor with you? Maybe you should try with that one.
Never get two things done together; you don't know which had what effect.

And hermetically sealed compressors do not become 'weak', unless they've worked for well over a decade or two!
Old 9th June 2014, 11:20   #3573
Distinguished - BHPian

We have 2 1.5T Voltas split ACs in our house. One is 2 yrs old and another one has a 3 yr old outdoor unit and a month old indoor unit. I have been facing a few issues with both of them.

1. The 2 yr old AC was a hot & cool variant and worked fine till last summers (basically for a little over 1 yr). This year it was not cooling and was diagnosed to have a blown heating circulatory valve which had led to the gas getting leaked. So it was repaired and gas was refilled. Yesterday night, it started pouring water from its outlet. What could be the reason?

Name:  ForumRunner_20140609_112503.png
Views: 723
Size:  411.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140609_112600.png
Views: 722
Size:  871.7 KB

2. The other AC had worked fine for 2 yrs and its gas had leaked last September. After a small twitter war, the unit was checked and the indoor unit malfunction was found. The indoor unit was replaced after a part payment. That AC started throwing out ice particles which was found to be due to low gas levels. It was again recharged free of cost but still there is some sound that comes out of it.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140609_112534.png
Views: 694
Size:  646.2 KB

We are really pissed off with Voltas for selling such pieces of crap. What should I do? Should I approach consumer court?
Old 9th June 2014, 13:24   #3574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

My friend is using it and not satisfied with its performance. Anyways, I have already bought the Blue Star and awaiting installation.

Have Panasonic Cube 1.25T for more than a year now and I am completely satisfied with it. It chills in no time.
Old 9th June 2014, 14:02   #3575
BHPian

My Daikin 3 year old AC is not cooling. Reading here, decided to call for a service. The service team from Rathna Fan House are quoting 1200 for a dry service - indoor and outdoor unit and 2400 + freight charges for a wet service to take it to their service center and do a thorough wash and bring back.
I will have them check gas levels etc, but isnt this pricing excessive?
Old 9th June 2014, 14:06   #3576
Senior - BHPian

What are the usual charges for shifting of an AC to a different house. I'm guessing I will have to pay an un-installation & re-installation charge. Is gas recharging required when this is done ?
Old 9th June 2014, 14:19   #3577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It could be that the changed capacitor is not of the correct value. This would alter the speed of the fan motor; it could be running slower and thus not delivering full air flow.
Is the old capacitor with you? Maybe you should try with that one.
Never get two things done together; you don't know which had what effect.

And hermetically sealed compressors do not become 'weak', unless they've worked for well over a decade or two!
I have the old one but the new one was exactly rated the same 50micro farad and was of the same "GC" company as well.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:20   #3578
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My Daikin 3 year old AC is not cooling. Reading here, decided to call for a service. The service team from Rathna Fan House are quoting 1200 for a dry service - indoor and outdoor unit and 2400 + freight charges for a wet service to take it to their service center and do a thorough wash and bring back.
I will have them check gas levels etc, but isnt this pricing excessive?
afaik splits to not need wet service. Also, Daikin's are sealed so that all that is required is to put some water into the condenser and the mud washes off. The evaporator unit can also be serviced in-situ. Open the cover and then use a tooth brush to remove the junk. I had a Videocon for a decade and it never required anything like what they are proposing.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:35   #3579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
afaik splits to not need wet service. Also, Daikin's are sealed so that all that is required is to put some water into the condenser and the mud washes off. The evaporator unit can also be serviced in-situ. Open the cover and then use a tooth brush to remove the junk. I had a Videocon for a decade and it never required anything like what they are proposing.
Thank you for the response sir. I did a thorough cleaning myself with a brush and pouring water into the indoor grills to make the dirt flow out, about 6 months back. I did not touch the outdoor unit though as it was on top of the window shade. I am wondering if I should give it a go myself or just let the technician have a look at it tomorrow. I am not for the "wet wash" that they claim may be needed or a gas refill maybe. Will update tomorrow.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:42   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
What are the usual charges for shifting of an AC to a different house. I'm guessing I will have to pay an un-installation & re-installation charge. Is gas recharging required when this is done ?
When my parents shifted to Mumbai from Delhi they took the Samsung split with them.

The packers/movers guys were able to uninstall the unit themselves. However, for installation they called the Samsung team who had to put in gas as well. I've heard that for a split reinstallation, gar recharge is necessary.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:49   #3581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
When my parents shifted to Mumbai from Delhi they took the Samsung split with them.

The packers/movers guys were able to uninstall the unit themselves. However, for installation they called the Samsung team who had to put in gas as well. I've heard that for a split reinstallation, gar recharge is necessary.
not really. I shifted a LG split ac without gas recharge.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:56   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
not really. I shifted a LG split ac without gas recharge.
Then I think its gimmicks by the manufacturers because almost all say the same thing. I once did ask that if the valve is there to prevent the discharge then why would there be a recharge necessary to which they said there is some leakage always and if I run the AC without adequate gas I'm looking at damaging the unit etc. As per some guys the gas in the pipe is also significant quantity and during uninstallation that gas is leaked.

Probably that was all farce but I'm not sure how this thing works. I think a pressure check should help one gauge whether he needs a gas recharge or not.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:59   #3583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Ha ha, the packers were 'able to' uninstall the unit but did not know how to do it right!
The gas must be pumped down into the condenser (by closing the liquid line valve) before any pipes are disconnected! No gas charge would be needed upon re-installation.
Old 9th June 2014, 17:02   #3584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Ha ha, the packers were 'able to' uninstall the unit but did not know how to do it right!
The gas must be pumped down into the condenser (by closing the liquid line valve) before any pipes are disconnected! No gas charge would be needed upon re-installation.
You are absolutely right. I was just reading about it on the net and this is exactly how its supposed to be done, thanks.

The service team is always ready to fleece the unknowing customer and a gas recharge is a good way of making quick 2000 bucks.
Old 9th June 2014, 17:22   #3585
BHPian

most 5 star splits have a EER of around 3.5 and that's pretty much what inverter offers as well. I am not sure why are inverters called more energy efficients ? is it worth paying premium for them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks