Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 21:19   #3496
KRN
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Icing indicates either a very low refrigerant, or choked blower. I had (still have) a Videocon which developed a very porr airflow issue. Finally my mechanic opened the top cover, and then thoroughly cleaned the blower. The most effective way was to hold a screwdriver touching it, and totating by hand. The slight 'taps' cleaned the dust pronto.
Thanks a lot sgiitk! Today we had the unit "wet serviced" and post that, didn't notice any icing. However, it is a bit cool today due to rains in Chennai and so will have to wait for a day or two for the real test!

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 9th May 2014, 21:16   #3497
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Guys, pardon me for a noob query but how do we know that a AC has a copper coil and not aluminium.
Does a "fin" refers to the coil of the AC in the specifications?
My dad has finalised on a Voltas 3 star split but somebody then recommended to buy an AC only with copper coils and not aluminium.
If I look up the specification on the AC which my dad has finalised, it doesn't specifically says a Coil but it has an Hydrophylic Aluminium Fin.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 9th May 2014, 21:34   #3498
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Guys, pardon me for a noob query but how do we know that a AC has a copper coil and not aluminium.
Thanks in Advance.
Even i would be interested to know the answer for this.

When i asked samsung's mechanic while re filling the AC gas, i was told that no manufacturer uses Copper coils. Not even Daikin and Ogeneral. I am not sure how true & knowledgeable he is.

Also, i am facing an issue. Till last 2 months, the IDU was calm, but when Sammy guys fixed it by filling AC gas, they tried to find for leaks, and in that process, they dismantled almost everything. Since then the IDU started making wierd noises. Some Kat kat, some sound like releasing some gasses, like lorries, pat pat sounds, tak tak sounds. Not sure how to get it fixed. Yes, i prefer to do a DIY. Any suggestions.

Old 10th May 2014, 09:32   #3499
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
When i asked samsung's mechanic while re filling the AC gas, i was told that no manufacturer uses Copper coils. Not even Daikin and Ogeneral. I am not sure how true & knowledgeable he is.
I have Hitachi Window, Daikin split, and (old) Videocon Window units. All have copper coils.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:02   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Does a "fin" refers to the coil of the AC in the specifications?
My dad has finalised on a Voltas 3 star split but somebody then recommended to buy an AC only with copper coils and not aluminium.
If I look up the specification on the AC which my dad has finalised, it doesn't specifically says a Coil but it has an Hydrophylic Aluminium Fin.

Thanks in Advance.
Aluminum is pretty difficult to form and weld compared to copper (and it cannot be braised, which is how the copper coils are joined). As far as I know most of the coils are copper. The fins may be either copper or aluminum.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:22   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Lot of manufacturers have a few models in their lineup with Aluminum condensor to cope with the market pricing and competition.
As far I know, Daikin, Hitachi and General use only copper for all their models.

Last edited by kpzen : 12th May 2014 at 12:29.
Old 12th May 2014, 13:25   #3502
Senior - BHPian

I think most of the Samsung AC's come with Aluminium Condenser coils and these cannot be repaired if a leak develops.

Samsung now offers a 3 year warranty though on the condenser.
Old 12th May 2014, 14:22   #3503
BHPian

I heard Sharp is also using "All-Aluminium Canalicular Tubed Condenser", the link below from another forum which details another buyer's review for Sharp Invertor ACs. Claiming them to be better than Daikin etc?

Any thoughts from our inhouse experts ?
Old 12th May 2014, 18:06   #3504
Distinguished - BHPian

Link, Shankyz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Aluminum is pretty difficult to form and weld compared to copper (and it cannot be braised, which is how the copper coils are joined). As far as I know most of the coils are copper. The fins may be either copper or aluminum.
Al tubing would put all the local repair guys out of business! That would mean that post-warranty leaks would mean end of life.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:17   #3505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Al tubing would put all the local repair guys out of business! That would mean that post-warranty leaks would mean end of life.
Ha ha, not quite!
When brazing is not possible, there is always the possibility of connecting pipes with compression couplings like ermeto couplings.
Also, science has progressed a lot, gentlemen!
Aluminium can be brazed/soldered.
I have personally seen it being done with complete success.

Old 12th May 2014, 23:01   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Link, Shankyz?

http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cons...nditioner.html
Old 13th May 2014, 00:13   #3507
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you. It is a bit like reading a Sharp brochure only better! He presents the details far better than they do. They really should give him a job

<After quite a lot more reading>

Ahh... they can be repaired. They can be repaired using an epoxy resin!

This link makes it clear that there is a big difference, not only in the material, but in the technology. This is really useful to know. It seems that all-aluminium micro-channel is the thing to watch out for.

How about the aspect of corrosion in salt atmosphere?
Old 13th May 2014, 08:14   #3508
BHPian

Anyone has any idea about the Samsung's Multijet technology? Hype or real?
Is it worth considering?
Old 13th May 2014, 12:24   #3509
BHPian

I'm shopping for a split AC for the small bed room. Size 130-150 sq ft. Window faces East but largely shaded by trees. Only prob is I stay on the top floor. AC is only need for 6 hours at night in summers.

The master bedroom is on Carrier for the past 7 years.

With so many choices around could someone point in the right direction.
Old 14th May 2014, 01:43   #3510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
True, one of the reputed AirCon company who themselves use Copper, their personnel did tell us that Aluminium is better and the cooling too gets better for an AC with it. However copper is used due to the above concerns mentioned by Aroy.

Last edited by tush : 14th May 2014 at 01:46. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks