Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 21:45   #3406
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats a drilling machine, used to bore through a beam which is made of concrete. It has a sharp and hollow rotating shaft which keeps piercing through the concrete. Once done you can neatly see the cylindrical concrete block come out; just like that! Amazing machine for sure. Not to mention it needs to be cooled when in operation.
I know, Hilti makes good ones. I was just wondering whether AC installers have started using such machines . Anyway graaja has already clarified.
Old 16th April 2014, 21:51   #3407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I know, Hilti makes good ones. I was just wondering whether AC installers have started using such machines . Anyway graaja has already clarified.
What I have seen is that for the general ones (where no beam is involved) the regular installers come and do the job. They can bore through regular walls. They are the regular dealer's men. The instant there is a need to bore the beam, they call for a different set of people. These bore cutting guys (As what I have seen in Banaglore) are an independent contracting lot, who lend their services to all the dealers and for all brands. Of late I see their demand going quite huge. Getting them in time is next to impossible. I myself faced this music very recently! (Hence the memory is fresh! )

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2014 at 22:06.
Old 17th April 2014, 10:00   #3408
BHPian

Hello,

I am planning to procure 1.0 Ton Window Ac. I have narrowed down the search to O General & Hitachi. The cost of both the units is approx same i.e INR 27-28k + stabilizer, but the concern, i have is O General is 2 Star where as Hitachi is 5 star. Now i am a bit confused which one to opt for?

Heart say go for General shaab where as mind say Hitachiiii

Would sincerely appreciate a honest opinion.

Thanks in anticipation.

Amit
Old 17th April 2014, 10:06   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hello,

I am planning to procure 1.0 Ton Window Ac. I have narrowed down the search to O General & Hitachi.

Depends on your city. If hot place like Chennai I would go with OG. I have had both these units in 1.5T and both died on me in 4 years. OG was noisy and my window would rattle a lot.
If split can be considered you will get a Samsung 1.5 and Daikin 1T near about same price too.
Old 17th April 2014, 11:12   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Depends on your city. If hot place like Chennai I would go with OG. I have had both these units in 1.5T and both died on me in 4 years. OG was noisy and my window would rattle a lot.
If split can be considered you will get a Samsung 1.5 and Daikin 1T near about same price too.
The unit will be installed in Gurgaon, even i thought about split, but then i don't want to get into the hassle of pipping and making an hole into walls, where as window ac would require only 1 hr of installation.

With Samsung & LG, i have burnt my hands...... Once bitten twice shy
Old 17th April 2014, 11:23   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
The unit will be installed in Gurgaon, even i thought about split, but then i don't want to get into the hassle of pipping and making an hole into walls, where as window ac would require only 1 hr of installation.

With Samsung & LG, i have burnt my hands...... Once bitten twice shy
Actually the Split in my opinion is easier as no window cutting, glass removal, grill removal and storage etc. However depends on the house and positioning etc though. It is more efficient, noise is significantly less, and maintenance is easier too. I have 2 Daikins and 2 Samsungs now - all split. One Samsung is now 8 years old. Other 3 are between 7 months and 3 years old.
My window acs never lasted beyond 4 years- LG, Carrier, Og, Samsung, Hitachi. The splits seem to be less fragile...
Old 17th April 2014, 18:00   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on your city. If hot place like Chennai I would go with OG.
I bought a O General 1 T split and realized while installation that the External unit (Compressor) has a plastic body. I am wondering how long it will last with the blasting sun.
Old 17th April 2014, 18:05   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My window acs never lasted beyond 4 years- LG, Carrier, Og, Samsung, Hitachi. The splits seem to be less fragile...
In my case, the opposite held true. My 1 Tonne LG Window AC works like a charm for the past 12 years. No gas was changed, only filters were cleaned in summer. Some knobs are not functioning, but it cools well. And it has seen 3 houses so far.

My Voltas split AC is 8 years old, and needed a gas refill twice over the past 3 years. My Samsung split needed a costly gas refill this summer though it is only 3 years old.
Old 17th April 2014, 18:08   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
In my case, the opposite held true. My 1 Tonne LG Window AC works like a charm for the past 12 years. No gas was changed, only filters were cleaned in summer. Some knobs are not functioning, but it cools well. And it has seen 3 houses so far.

My Voltas split AC is 8 years old, and needed a gas refill twice over the past 3 years. My Samsung split needed a costly gas refill this summer though it is only 3 years old.
I have shifted house once and moved the splits during this shift. Used the same copper and no gas filling. All are working fine, same as earlier. Could be handling issue and way the joints were sealed etc.
Old 17th April 2014, 19:08   #3415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning to procure 1.0 Ton Window Ac. I have narrowed down the search to O General & Hitachi. The cost of both the units is approx same i.e INR 27-28k + stabilizer, but the concern, i have is O General is 2 Star where as Hitachi is 5 star.
If possible try to switch over to a Split. Window ACs are easier to install but are a bit of a pain over a period of time. They will rattle, squeak and create a racket. Besides being costlier on the pocket (to run). Look at Daikin. Good ACs for the price. Similar O'Generals will work out a little costlier.

By the way, Check the declared consumption numbers for the 5 star window AC. I won't be surprised if you find that it is closer to the consumption figures for a 3 star split! To give you an idea, a Daikin Inverter Split 1 ton AC when run at 25*C for 8 hours every night costs you as less as Rs.550 to 600 per month at an average unit price of Rs4!

Actually, the Window ACs by design are inherently inefficient. Cooling unit and the heat exchangers in the same box (front and rear) is never going to be very efficient any how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I bought a O General 1 T split and realized while installation that the External unit (Compressor) has a plastic body. I am wondering how long it will last with the blasting sun.
Check whether the entire body is plastic or it's the from grill and the top. Not that it matters much as these parts too will be exposed to the sun. However, I think most ACs nowadays come with thse parts made of plastic. Its the same with Daikin, Samsung and LG. Can't recall Panasonic...

Quote:
Actually the Split in my opinion is easier as no window cutting, glass removal, grill removal and storage etc. However depends on the house and positioning etc though.
Split is actually more difficult to install. I had seen the circus they did to install my split. I also realized once again that day that life has little value in this country.
Old 17th April 2014, 19:39   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
@blorebuddy

Don't worry about its quality. We have the same unit installed in the first floor with the ODU facing harsh Chennai sun(west facing wall without any cover over it) for the past 10 years. It still is going strong.
Old 17th April 2014, 21:20   #3417
Distinguished - BHPian

For a cooler, which one would be a nice fit. I am looking for options between 5-10K, trying to get (decent) options at both ends. My friend pointed out at Symphony. Any pointers please?
Old 17th April 2014, 21:22   #3418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
Don't worry about its quality. We have the same unit installed in the first floor with the ODU facing harsh Chennai sun(west facing wall without any cover over it) for the past 10 years. It still is going strong.
There's your answer from experience!

But I was going to say that not all plastics are degraded by sunlight, and with a steel cabinet, you might be wondering how long before it starts to rust. All materials have pros and cons.

You bought a top-brand AC: don't worry, enjoy!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th April 2014 at 21:24.
Old 17th April 2014, 21:31   #3419
BANNED

Gurus please guide me, I want to buy inverter AC's.
Please tell me which once ?
Old 17th April 2014, 22:13   #3420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For a cooler, which one would be a nice fit. I am looking for options between 5-10K, trying to get (decent) options at both ends. My friend pointed out at Symphony. Any pointers please?
Plastic body coolers are not too effective. A metal body conventional cooler is much better. Also a cooler depends on a continuous supply of fresh dry air for its cooling effect and keeping in inside the room is not advisable. Coolers are best kept outside the room in a shaded space.
But if you have no other option due to other constraints, go for Usha Honeywell coolers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks