Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 00:02   #3316
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

R32 is/was supposed to replace the R22. It has not happened as the R32 is flammable beyond limits of safety as per the existing safety regulations in the developed World, even though it has better thermal properties than the 410 and is easier to compress etc. However due to reasons stated above at the moment is commercially popular only in Japan and that too as the Japanese parliament made certain changes to safety laws to allow usage of this gas in their country. With the concessions in safety standards it has caught on and it was rumoured that the USA was to follow suit. Whether it has happened there or not is not known to me but yet another titbit from Dupont is that certain fillers when added to the gas reduce it's flammability to acceptable standards though at the cost of efficiency bringing it more or less on par with 410. Work goes on to find better fillers. Eventually I think 32 will catch on as 410 was only meant to be a stop gap arrangement after 22 and before the advent of it's successor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I just saw advts from Daikin about R32 aircons. What is that? Is is a replacement for R410?
Old 25th March 2014, 11:30   #3317
BANNED

@khoj; Looks like a hydrocarbon mix. Many modern top end refrigerators also come with a Butane-Propane mix. Only issue was that this was used as a R12 replacement, and in the US some misguided people used it in cars as a R12 replacement!? Highly dangerous!!
Old 25th March 2014, 16:02   #3318

Thanks Aroy. But how to know the consumption of inverter ACs, as its average consumption is variable. Sharp claims an average consumption of 875 watts for its 1.5 ton inverter (pop up on its homepage).
Has anybody checked out the new inverter series by Samsung. AR5000 and AR7000 series. The 1.5 ton has an EER of 3.81 which I think is class leading. 1310W rated. It is one of the cheapest 1.5 ton inverter models too (41-45k). We are looking to buy it, one dealer was not so positive about it and in general about inverter ACs and Samsung. Don't know why Samsung has not uploaded model details on its website. It is there on Snapdeal and I have a brochure. What's the forum's take on this?
Old 25th March 2014, 18:32   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_madness View Post
Thanks Aroy. But how to know the consumption of inverter ACs, as its average consumption is variable. Sharp claims an average consumption of 875 watts for its 1.5 ton inverter (pop up on its homepage).
Has anybody checked out the new inverter series by Samsung. AR5000 and AR7000 series. The 1.5 ton has an EER of 3.81 which I think is class leading. 1310W rated. It is one of the cheapest 1.5 ton inverter models too (41-45k). We are looking to buy it, one dealer was not so positive about it and in general about inverter ACs and Samsung. Don't know why Samsung has not uploaded model details on its website. It is there on Snapdeal and I have a brochure. What's the forum's take on this?
For calculation you have to make some assumptions
1. It will take 1-2 hours to cool a room.
2. After the room attains its temperature the 1.5T AC will run as a 0.5T AC.
3. You will find the current ratings at both these ends.

Use the above to calculate the total KVA in one day. Divide it by the number of hours to get the average. Please note that with Inverter AC the longer you run them continuously the less average power consumed. The more people and appliances in a room the more the thermal load and higher the consumption. If you keep opening the doors more often then the consumption will go up proportionately.

That said, I have observed that as the star ratings increase the total power consumption decreases more or less in the proportion of the rated power.
Old 25th March 2014, 21:21   #3320
Distinguished - BHPian

Hoping not, of course, but if one of my Samsungs fails completely I'm currently favouring Sharpe for the replacement. It would be an invertor ...and I'd have to train my wife to leave it on instead of turning it on and off: she's never really got the point of thermostats!
Old 26th March 2014, 11:40   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hoping not, of course, but if one of my Samsungs fails completely I'm currently favouring Sharpe for the replacement. It would be an invertor ...and I'd have to train my wife to leave it on instead of turning it on and off: she's never really got the point of thermostats!
Funnily turning the AC on and off frequently increases the power consumption.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:55   #3322
Team-BHP Support

So whats the scene on non copper coils. Due to a drain nearby, almost all ACs we have bought start leaking after 2-3 years, and the problem is not fixable.
However, I am wondering if a aluminum coil AC is used, it should last as aluminum is far more resistant to corrosion as opposed to Copper.
Any ideas?
Old 26th March 2014, 12:20   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Anyone heard of this brand called WestingHouse?
There is a unit which does not work in the apartment I have moved into and wanted to check if there is a service center at all for repairs.
Old 26th March 2014, 12:20   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So whats the scene on non copper coils. Due to a drain nearby, almost all ACs we have bought start leaking after 2-3 years, and the problem is not fixable.
Ask a local AC maker if he can change the condenser coil of the ACs that are bust. Preferably have them fitted with ermeto couplings so that replacement will be possible when required. This, in the long term, will serve you best, without having to buy a new home!
Old 26th March 2014, 18:56   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Anyone heard of this brand called WestingHouse?
There is a unit which does not work in the apartment I have moved into and wanted to check if there is a service center at all for repairs.
An ancient brand. Used to be good a couple of decades back. These old time AC are best serviced by the local Ac repair persons.
Old 27th March 2014, 12:13   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However, I am wondering if a aluminum coil AC is used, it should last as aluminum is far more resistant to corrosion as opposed to Copper.
Any ideas?
I was looking at aluminum coiled air-conditioners last year. What I found out from the big dealers is that aluminum coiled air-conditioners that are made in India are not as reliable as copper as Indian factories don't know how to work with aluminum coils well yet.

Almost everyone is making cheaper acs with aluminum but a big distributor had to return more than 100 pieces each of voltas and Panasonic brand acs. He switched back to copper coils.

The only reason to use aluminum is cost a far as I can figure out.
Old 27th March 2014, 21:53   #3327
BHPian

Did anyone made a AC purchase this month.. which one and why
Old 28th March 2014, 09:50   #3328
BANNED

@drsingh; In corrosive conditions Aluminium coils do not seem to last. My son had three perforations in three years in his Samsung Split in Manipal. In fact most of the top brands give copper coils and state as much.
Old 28th March 2014, 12:08   #3329
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharp: copper of Aluminium?
Old 29th March 2014, 10:30   #3330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sharp: copper of Aluminium?
I think it is copper. Still reconfirmation is on the cards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks