Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 12:13   #3211
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Find out the price for the 1.5 ton General machine in your city, the R22 gas model. That is one machine that will keep you comfortable for the given room size. The budget may have to be stretched a bit.

To stick to the budget you could explore 3 star rated machines from Whirlpool magicool, Panasonic and Vestar or even Fedders. Daikin running on R22 gas could be another and a better option especially since the price for machines running on the old gas have been cut by the company itself. Members on the thread have reported buying these machines @30+K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Bumping my question from a few days back. Any suggestions guys? Am on a tight budget 32K or so max.
Old 1st July 2013, 13:02   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'd suggest an LG window unit for about Rs. 22000/-.
The Panasonic Cube would do well too, if you're in for a split.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Look at the cube AC from Panasonic, the One which has 20 in the model name, it is actually 1.66 ton and costs only as much as most window 1.5 ton AC. It functions well (using it for 3 summers now), but the cost is low because they have cut some features like Swing etc. It is very silent at low fan speed , at high speed, the speed is very very high and thus gets noisy.
You should be able to get it for under 25K now.
For 32 K (that is a pretty good budget), you can even get some models from Daikin.
Thanks guys, I will try out the Panasonic cube as I will need a split. Except I want it as quiet (as it is a home theater) as possible without breaking the bank.
Old 1st July 2013, 13:36   #3213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Except I want it as quiet (as it is a home theater) as possible without breaking the bank.
In fact, the Cube will be perfect for a home theatre.
As a place that will be used infrequently, you could turn on the Cube full blast to cool down the room quickly before turning it down to a slower speed at the start of the movie or concert!
Old 1st July 2013, 13:40   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
In fact, the Cube will be perfect for a home theatre.
As a place that will be used infrequently, you could turn on the Cube full blast to cool down the room quickly before turning it down to a slower speed at the start of the movie or concert!
Thanks. I was looking at the specifications of the split vis-a-vis the Cube in Panasonic models and noticed that the sound level was 42 db (low for Cube) compared to 39 db (for normal split). Is that a big margin for home theater use?
Old 1st July 2013, 13:44   #3215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and noticed that the sound level was 42 db (low for Cube) compared to 39 db (for normal split). Is that a big margin for home theater use?
Technically, 39 db to 42 db is 'doubling' of the absolute loudness.
However, depending on where you stay the ambient SPL is likely to be greater than 42 db!

Frankly, I wouldn't let this bother me in real terms.
Old 1st July 2013, 14:01   #3216
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks. I was looking at the specifications of the split vis-a-vis the Cube in Panasonic models and noticed that the sound level was 42 db (low for Cube) compared to 39 db (for normal split). Is that a big margin for home theater use?
I have a cube 1.66 ton ac in my room and I can easily watch a movie on my tablet using its speakers alone. The ac is mounted about 6-7 feet high on the wall and I usually sit a similar distance away from that wall. The AC sound is heard only when I try to hear it.
It is terrific bang for buck. The Windows AC that cost similar are much more noisy.
Old 1st July 2013, 14:31   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Your feedback makes me think, maybe I have a similar problem. Mine still makes the irritating 'whoosh' noise which had increased now.

Is yours an Inverter model?, is it still under warranty so that it was replaced free of cost?, does changing this part entails refill and vacuuming again?
I used to have the whoosh problem few years back. It used to be whosh - silent - whoosh ..... ; it was like being in a jungle, though the sound was more subdued than a jungle wind. It was solved by a thorough cleaning of the indoor unit. The service personnel dismantled the unit, sealed the electrical connection points and did a thorough water wash. I get this kind of cleaning done atleast once every summer.

Like I said I don't know whether the capillary was replaced. Mine is a non-inverter, R22 unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Two nights since the repair and its working perfectly so far. In fact it is colder, quieter and better air speed than before.
I think I spoke too soon. Last night it was very cold, chilling cold with temperature setting at 29degC. Air coming out of unit was cold and fast even at one bar fan speed. Set at 30degC cooling was virtually absent. So there was a huge difference between 29 and 30 degrees C. Of course 28 was colder than 29.

Lodged complain with Daikin and the waiting starts all over again.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:31   #3218
BHPian

Quote:

Bumping my question from a few days back. Any suggestions guys? Am on a tight budget 32K or so max.
Push it by 500 INR or so and you could get a Panasonic Spliylt. KC18PKY 5Star.
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:30   #3219
BHPian

Hi guys would like to buy 7-8 split a/c for top floor and floor below top, each floor has 4 a/c requirement all split. Can anyone suggest which one to go for. need 5 : 2 Ton and 3 1.5 Ton. As lobby and other area is open and joining both floors, it will have 4 a/c in total, can I go with 1.5 instead off 2T. I am looking for Hitachi iclean.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:37   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Hi guys would like to buy 7-8 split a/c for top floor and floor below top, each floor has 4 a/c requirement all split. Can anyone suggest which one to go for. need 5 : 2 Ton and 3 1.5 Ton. As lobby and other area is open and joining both floors, it will have 4 a/c in total, can I go with 1.5 instead off 2T. I am looking for Hitachi iclean.
I would suggest mitsubushi heavy industries 2T for open spaces. It can cover 400 sq feet and has powerful air flow.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:42   #3221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Have you thought of going for higher capacity multi split units. Get in touch with Diakin and they will advise you on large units - 5 to 10 ton units with multiple IDU. In long run these are more efficient, hence running cost is reduced. At the higher end with heat pump you can get heating in winters. One of my friends has installed a 10 ton heat pump unit and is extremely satisfied with it.
http://www.daikinindia.com/our-produ...ed-system.html
or
http://www.daikinindia.com/our-produ...ed-system.html
for large areas you can go for the ceiling mounted casette IDU, while for other areas a wall mounted unit will suffice.

With a large unit you can even have the IDU in kitchen and toilets
Old 7th July 2013, 19:57   #3222
BHPian

Just bought 1 ton 2* Bluestar AC.

It just draws 6A (1260 W). The AC technician is asking for 4 sq mm wires for electricity(atleast 2.5 sqmm he says). My home has already wired 1.5 sqmm and the online calculations shows the amperage upto 15 A can be taken up by 1.5 sqmm cable. Should I draw new wires(4 sqmm) from main board to AC?

Would like to know the views of pros here!
Old 7th July 2013, 22:21   #3223
BHPian

Guys any suggestions for a 1 ton split AC which is not very costly but effective. I need to install it in the kitchen which is on the ground floor. Thanks.
Old 8th July 2013, 00:08   #3224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Just bought 1 ton 2* Bluestar AC.

It just draws 6A (1260 W). The AC technician is asking for 4 sq mm wires for electricity(atleast 2.5 sqmm he says). My home has already wired 1.5 sqmm and the online calculations shows the amperage upto 15 A can be taken up by 1.5 sqmm cable. Should I draw new wires(4 sqmm) from main board to AC?

Would like to know the views of pros here!
I would take this very seriously. I am not an expert but my DB phase changer caught fire when we had our hall 2T and my bedroom 1.5t running at the same time. I now have a smoke detector sitting inside my DB and I do not switch on these two acs in parallel.
Old 8th July 2013, 00:46   #3225
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know about calculations, but in my motherland, 1.5-sq-mm cable is used for lighting circuits. I suggest that you accept your technician's advice. Always safer to over-specify with cable, plugs and sockets.

Remember that devices like ACs have a much heavier start-up load.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks