Old 27th June 2013, 21:03   #3196
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Manim, hope the issue got resolved?
Please bear with me for this long post:

The job was done on 25th.
Two guys came around 11:30 am and left by 3:00 pm.
(I was with them for the first thirty minutes only, so not exactly 100% sure what they exactly did, that-is, if they recharged after vacumming or did only a water wash).

They took the whole IDU completely off the wall.
They had asked for a water-source (medium-pressure hose), bucket, mug and shampoo.
I saw them do a very thorough water-wash. I then left them.

They had brought two medium-size bags which they said contained the equipment for vacumming and recharging.

When I came back at 3 pm the machine was running.
I then checked for any abnormal noise and there were none.
They asked for only Rs.500 (their normal water-wash charges) and left.

I have now used the machine for two complete nights (around 20+ hours total).

The cooling is good (not excellent but good).
The problem is that the earlier whoosh noise still comes sometimes.
Earlier it was coming continously, now it is very rare.

So bottomline is: I am not 100% satisfied, but presently the machine does its job and I am glad for it. (I suspect the noise may gradually increase over time again).

I am however 100% satisfied with the attitude of the service staff, they were very friendly. The owner whoom I only talk over phone has been also friendly (Their names are listed as Authorized Dealers on Daikin's web-site).

I will be using this machine for around 8~10 hours daily, so will report back any problems.

I also saw that Daikin has revamped their models for 2013 (pdf can be downloaded from their web-site).
My model is now discontinued!
They have some new models with R-32 gas now.

Last edited by manim : 27th June 2013 at 21:05.
Old 27th June 2013, 23:14   #3197
BHPian

About a month back I had reported ice formation and water droplets raining from my Daikin AC. Have been pursuing through Daikin customer care but the problem has still not been resolved. They came, filled nitrogen, vacuumed after one day and left it operational. However after few days the compressor would shut off and never come back on on its own.

Another round of complain, one more filling of N2 and its been a wait of five days now. They came today and said a part named capillary has failed and they will try and source the part. (Its another matter that capillary does not sound like a mechanical part to me).

If anyone here has contact details of Daikin customer care higher ups, please share by PM, because I may need to escalate this.

I used to think my next AC will also be Daikin but now General seem more attractive. Right now we are managing with a Hitachi but fan noise is higher than Daikin.
Old 28th June 2013, 02:36   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Capillary is a very very very thin tubing and is indeed a part of the refrigerant circuit, it is not uncommon for it to fail. This time around do ensure that the circuit is completely vacuumed and that they hold the vacuum for at least 30 minutes or so. This is most important of your unit is running on R410 as the new gasses are hygroscopic i.e. they have very high tendency to absorb moisture and this does lead to a fall in efficiency besides other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Another round of complain, one more filling of N2 and its been a wait of five days now. They came today and said a part named capillary has failed and they will try and source the part. (Its another matter that capillary does not sound like a mechanical part to me).
Old 28th June 2013, 10:08   #3199
BANNED

Quote:
They came today and said a part named capillary has failed and they will try and source the part. (Its another matter that capillary does not sound like a mechanical part to me).
I thought in splits they used expansion valves rather than capillaries. However, there is no reason why a capillary cannot be used. Capillaries are standard in Window units, some having as many as three.
Old 28th June 2013, 13:41   #3200
Senior - BHPian

I have not heard of Capilarry failing. What happens is that if the circuit contains any water the capilaries choke up due to ice formation. After the ice melts (as the compressor is off), the capilary opens up. In rare cases, dirt or oil in the circuit can choke the capilary permanently, but that is a case of faulty installation as the initial vaccuming is supposed to remove any dust/oil left over from manufacturing/transportation of the pipes.h

Last edited by Aroy : 28th June 2013 at 13:42.
Old 29th June 2013, 23:50   #3201
BHPian

Guys, how is Panasonic KC18PKY 5Star 1.5Ton?
Old 30th June 2013, 22:21   #3202
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Have a question. Some interior work is being done in my bed room. Since I am avoiding core cutting on the beam, the only option left to fit the split AC is above my computer table.

Above the computer table there is a laminated wooden shelf of around 7-8 inch to keep art facts, books etc. And then above that I have the place to fix the indoor unit of the split AC.

However I came to know that there is always some amount of water that drips from the AC's indoor unit.

If that's true then it would fall on the shelf and from there the water would go ahead and drop on the electronic stuff(wall plug, LCD monitor etc) kept on the computer table.

Dealer says they generally recommend to not fit the AC's at such location due to this issue.

Is it true that water drips or there are chances of water dripping from the front in split AC?

Last edited by tush : 30th June 2013 at 22:23. Reason: typo
Old 30th June 2013, 22:31   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post

Dealer says they generally recommend to not fit the AC's at such location due to this issue.

Is it true that water drips or there are chances of water dripping from the front in split AC?
Yes this can happen in humid conditions so its better not to take the risk.
Old 30th June 2013, 22:57   #3204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hello Friends,

Have a question. Some interior work is being done in my bed room. Since I am avoiding core cutting on the beam, the only option left to fit the split AC is above my computer table.

Above the computer table there is a laminated wooden shelf of around 7-8 inch to keep art facts, books etc. And then above that I have the place to fix the indoor unit of the split AC.

However I came to know that there is always some amount of water that drips from the AC's indoor unit.

If that's true then it would fall on the shelf and from there the water would go ahead and drop on the electronic stuff(wall plug, LCD monitor etc) kept on the computer table.

Can happen in rare cases, also the pipe that carries water out of the Indoor unit can come off loose in some cases , so can drip some water.
Old 30th June 2013, 23:07   #3205
BHPian

Last Thursday after posting here I wrote an email to Daikin customer care expressing my displeasure over their tardy response and resolution of the problem. I also hinted my brand loyalty may shift due to this experience.

I got a mail response stating that it has been forwarded to concerned officials. Response on the ground was quick. Service personnel came of Friday morning, and without a word went about fixing the problem. I don't know what they did with the capillary: there is no charge for spare part and my wife told me later that they wrote something about capillary in the report which she signed. Unlike previous service visits, they did not leave behind duplicate copy of service report.

Two nights since the repair and its working perfectly so far. In fact it is colder, quieter and better air speed than before.
Old 1st July 2013, 00:48   #3206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If water drips from your AC indoors then something is wrong --- but things can and do go wrong, and it might happen occasionally
Old 1st July 2013, 10:38   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what they did with the capillary: there is no charge for spare part and my wife told me later that they wrote something about capillary in the report which she signed.

Two nights since the repair and its working perfectly so far. In fact it is colder, quieter and better air speed than before.
Your feedback makes me think, maybe I have a similar problem.
Mine still makes the irritating 'whoosh' noise which had increased now.

Is yours an Inverter model?, is it still under warranty so that it was replaced free of cost?, does changing this part entails refill and vacuuming again?

Maybe I too can force the service guys to change this part (if the cost is reasonable) in mine.
Old 1st July 2013, 10:50   #3208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi guys,

I am looking for a 1.5 Ton AC for a 200 sq feet home theater room. As it is not going to be used every day, I am not looking at a very high-end model. Anything appropriate? Budget is as less as possible :-) Should not be too noisy.
Bumping my question from a few days back. Any suggestions guys? Am on a tight budget 32K or so max.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:26   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping my question from a few days back. Any suggestions guys? Am on a tight budget 32K or so max.
I'd suggest an LG window unit for about Rs. 22000/-.
The Panasonic Cube would do well too, if you're in for a split.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:28   #3210
BANNED

Quote:

I suppose you are asking for a split AC, for a great VFM, look at the cube AC from Panasonic, the One which has 20 in the model name, it is actually 1.66 ton and costs only as much as most window 1.5 ton AC. It functions well (using it for 3 summers now), but the cost is low because they have cut some features like Swing etc. It is very silent at low fan speed , at high speed, the speed is very very high and thus gets noisy.
You should be able to get it for under 25K now.
For 32 K (that is a pretty good budget), you can even get some models from Daikin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks