Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 14:40   #2446
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Brilliant buy mate.
a 5* and 1.5 tonner less that 30k is a rare thing and that too Hitachi.

The model you got is 2011 model that is why you cannot find it on the website.
Hey, thank you for the confirmation; honestly, i just did not have it in me to do my usual research while picking up the ac; the heat is Pune is giving me debilitating headaches but good to know I picked up something worthwhile. And at a good price.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:41   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Hey, thank you for the confirmation; honestly, i just did not have it in me to do my usual research while picking up the ac; the heat is Pune is giving me debilitating headaches but good to know I picked up something worthwhile. And at a good price.
No problem mate. I am getting the same headaches in Delhi. Need to get an AC soon but waiting for the first week of April due to financial reasons.

I assume 1500 installation charge + stand charge was separate to the price you paid, right?

I am thinking of doing what you did and get last years model.
I do not think there is much of a difference between the two plus it would
cost me less. What do you think?

I forgot the Hitachi series that the model you told belongs to. Do you remember?
(I think its Ace Cutout and if it is that one hell of a deal as the new model in that series now costs 37K + installation)

Does anyone know if Hitachi provides AMC for ACs after the year is over?
Old 28th March 2012, 13:14   #2448
BHPian

Daikin Inverter feedback

Have been using the Daikin Inverter 1.8 Ton for a week, here is some feedback:

1) Silent - The silence is unbelievable! Even the ODU is so silent that I cannot know if the compressor is working even just a few feet away.

2) Power-Consumption - Since Tamilnadu is reeling under extreme power-cuts (8 to 10 hours daily) I was not able to measure it properly. Running for 3.5 hours, here are the details: (Measured on the eb meter, and includes other appliances in my home like fridge etc).

First hour - 1.2 units
Second hour - 0.8 units.
Third hour - 0.7 units

I believe that it will drop to less than 500 watts if left to run continuously (as given in the specs).

Very impressive!

3) Chillness - Okay, but may not be better than my ten year older OGeneral (which had a Btu/hr of 26,500 versus 21,200 now).

4) Maintains a constant temperature - This is one main advantage, since the non-inverter cycles on/off thereby having cool/hot cycles.

Last edited by manim : 28th March 2012 at 13:15.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:35   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the information Manim. Please try and assimilate the data over a longer period. This will without doubt help a whole lot of readers to take an informed decision while choosing between an inverter or a conventional machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manim

Last edited by khoj : 28th March 2012 at 13:36.
Old 28th March 2012, 14:42   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
No problem mate. I am getting the same headaches in Delhi. Need to get an AC soon but waiting for the first week of April due to financial reasons.

I assume 1500 installation charge + stand charge was separate to the price you paid, right?

I paid only Rs. 400 towards installation charges. Didn't need a stand so that was all. Installation was done by Reliance guys who said they are authorised by Hitachi.

I am thinking of doing what you did and get last years model.
I do not think there is much of a difference between the two plus it would
cost me less. What do you think?

Um, features comparo, i don't think there is any difference. Pricewise, there is a 2K-3K difference. I do think that 30K for a window ac is quite a bit and so if I can save 3K to 4K on that, why not. I'm getting a good product from a reliable reputable brand and saving some by going in for something which IMHO is only labelled 'last year' or 'current year'. Not like the people who bought this last are not ruing buying it because a new one is out.

I forgot the Hitachi series that the model you told belongs to. Do you remember? (I think its Ace Cutout and if it is that one hell of a deal as the new model in that series now costs 37K + installation)

Here is the link to mine. Mine is the Summer QC.
Summer QC : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

The link specifies a RAV518ESD while mine is a RAV518ERD. Waitaminute, mine is a window ac. The Ace Cutout is a split ac. Though not completely listed on the site, both of them got the same features; tested most of them last night.

This I'm not sure of, but personally, I wouldn't get it. Standard warranty is 1 year on the entire ac unit and 5 years on the compressor. I think that would be ok with me, given that the Hitachi internals are supposed to last quite a while.
Edit: Was just looking at the Hitachi site and they defn. provide AMC's. Couldn't find any details on it though but they do offer it.

Responses inline. Hope it helps. And I thought Delhi is not that right now; or atleast my folks in Gurgaon and VK are holding up ok. Some cool wind coming down because of some snowfall in some place some days recently.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 28th March 2012 at 14:47.
Old 28th March 2012, 17:34   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hitachi provides AMC in Delhi. Ring their help line which is listed in the manual.

There are two schemes
1. With all parts
2. Without parts

I have 3 Hitachi, 2 window and 1 split but did not take the AMC, as in my opinion it is not worth it. I get the AC serviced once a year for all the three and some years get an extra service for one window whose heat exchanger attracts a lot of dust. These four services cost less than 2K.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:32   #2452
BHPian

I am in Bangalore now, and recently bought a 1 Ton Carrier split AC (didnt read the bad stories about carrier here). I got it for Rs.22500 + Rs.1250 for installation. Additionally I had to shell out Rs.2000 for 14 ft of copper piping.

This was one of the last pieces of 2011 model lot. So the 2011 price. The 2012 models costs Rs.4k more, just with one difference. 2011s are 2 star rated. And 2012 are 4 star rated.

Performance wise, the AC is good. Cools the 11x10 bedroom like anything within less time, in spite that I reside on the top floor. The ODU and IDU are manufactured in China, but the build quality is very good.

Here is a pic shot with my terrible phone camera
The home / office air-conditioner thread-carrier.jpg.

Anyway, my joy with AC is shortlived, because my apartment association objected to put the ODU in the outerwall, as it is in the common wall / common area (my house is in the peculiar corner with all odds). Instead of fighting with them, I decided to remove the AC and put it in another bedroom which has a balcony, after a month. In my experience, I felt it is better to comply with the association rules, rather than going against it (unless it is worth fighting /desperate for) .Gives you less stressful stay there. Now the association president has become more friendly with me!
Old 29th March 2012, 10:42   #2453
BHPian

Re: Daikin Inverter feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

First hour - 1.2 units
Second hour - 0.8 units.
Third hour - 0.7 units

I believe that it will drop to less than 500 watts if left to run continuously (as given in the specs).

Very impressive!
Have just bought a Panasonic 1 ton split. Wanted to know what's the formula for calculating unit used per hour based on the EER or the other info on the star rating sticker. & also is one watt used in an hour the same as a unit per hour?
Old 29th March 2012, 11:33   #2454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Additionally I had to shell out Rs.2000 for 14 ft of copper piping.
Why? The unit should come with sufficient length of copper piping in the ODU carton. Unless your piping needs were a lot more than what is provided in the box.

I got a good length of piping in the carton when I bought a Blue Star. As I was not present during the installation and lack of awareness, the chaps ran off with the extra left over pipe that was not used. I did not bother calling them to return the pipe.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:16   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
is one watt used in an hour the same as a unit per hour?
1,000 watts (1 kilo-watt) per hour equals one-unit (kilo-watt-hour).

The actual consumption over time can vary based on the cooling-load like room-size, windows, insulation, sun-facing, etc.

If the compressor is always on then I think that the consumption will be as per the official specs for that unit (non-invertor).

Last edited by manim : 29th March 2012 at 12:17.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:44   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Why? The unit should come with sufficient length of copper piping in the ODU carton. Unless your piping needs were a lot more than what is provided in the box.
Well it seems Carrier does not provide default length (3 mtrs) copper piping for 1 ton models. All the models with capacity 1.5 and above has default length of copper piping included.
Old 29th March 2012, 12:48   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
1,000 watts (1 kilo-watt) per hour equals one-unit (kilo-watt-hour).

The actual consumption over time can vary based on the cooling-load like room-size, windows, insulation, sun-facing, etc.

If the compressor is always on then I think that the consumption will be as per the official specs for that unit (non-invertor).
Yes but the official specs on the star rating sticker has terms like EER, power consumption on it with the respective values. Just asking if anyone knows the simple calculation to find out the units consumed per hour not depending on any other factor of the house. So that one can even compare the consumption between a 3 star & a 2 star while buying for the same room?
Old 29th March 2012, 13:15   #2458
BHPian

Recently purchased a Carrier 1 Ton window AC - 3 Star, 2012 model.

Bought from Vijay Sales and I think i got a sweet deal - 20K including 2 step stablizer. Installation is still pending and would cost another 550 bucks. At some other stores I was quoted around 24k for this same model.

I checked various other ACs like, Blue Star, LG, Voltas and found carrier to be best(though LG and Voltas were cheaper).

Have been using another Carrier 1.5 Ton AC since last 2 years and have been very happy with it.
Old 29th March 2012, 17:58   #2459
BHPian

How often do the split ACs require service? What exactly do they do? Is it a DIY job?
Old 29th March 2012, 18:18   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
....Just asking if anyone knows the simple calculation to find out the units consumed per hour not depending on any other factor of the house. So that one can even compare the consumption between a 3 star & a 2 star while buying for the same room?
Not possible, Avinash.
The power consumed will always vary, depending on the conditions prevailing.
The consumption of even non-inverter models will vary depending on the 'heat load' that is to be addressed.
Simple things like more people in the room will mean more power consumption.
Relative humidity, ambient temperature, sunny day or cloudy, etc. each affects power consumption.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks