Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:35   #2476
BANNED

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Good details about Pana A/C. I am also planning for an A/C buy but totally confused. Budget can be 20k max.
I really like the design of Pana Cube and you have explained the technical details also in brief.
If you don't mind, may i ask you for some pics of this A/C installed space. it will help me make up my mind.
some more details like noise level and effectiveness will also help.
thanks.
Yes , this A/C does pack in the best bang for the buck . Yesterday I did open up the indoor unit and the outdoor unit . I am glad the tubes are all copper as opposed to aluminium in most of the models these days . The noise level is a bit high in full speed , but at the lowest speed the A/c is pretty much silent . unlike the other A/C , you do not get the "coldness" when you stand in front of it because the air flow is much higher than the other models , but you can feel the room cool . I will try to upload the pics in the night when i am home .
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:10   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Good details about Pana A/C. I am also planning for an A/C buy but totally confused. Budget can be 20k max.
I really like the design of Pana Cube and you have explained the technical details also in brief.
If you don't mind, may i ask you for some pics of this A/C installed space. it will help me make up my mind.
some more details like noise level and effectiveness will also help.
thanks.
I had posted the pics last year. Here is the link again for reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2262490
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:35   #2478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Yes , this A/C does pack in the best bang for the buck . Yesterday I did open up the indoor unit and the outdoor unit . I am glad the tubes are all copper as opposed to aluminium in most of the models these days . The noise level is a bit high in full speed , but at the lowest speed the A/c is pretty much silent . unlike the other A/C , you do not get the "coldness" when you stand in front of it because the air flow is much higher than the other models , but you can feel the room cool . I will try to upload the pics in the night when i am home .
thanks Greatmana for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I had posted the pics last year. Here is the link again for reference.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2262490
Thanks a lot Neilguy for pointing me towards your post with pics. it made my decision making much easier.
I was really afraid of this drill in my wall to get pipes out.
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:18   #2479
BHPian

Is there any AC remote with multiple timers?
Asking because if it's available you can program the AC to run/switch-off in intervals of an hour or 2 hours,
throughout your sleeping time without having to wake up, and in turn save a lot of power?
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:46   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
Is there any AC remote with multiple timers?
Asking because if it's available you can program the AC to run/switch-off in intervals of an hour or 2 hours,
throughout your sleeping time without having to wake up, and in turn save a lot of power?
Just set a nice comfortable temperature, the compressor will auto cut and keep you comfortable.

E.g. Try to fix the temperature at 23 rather than 16/17 at night. You do not need to take a heavy blanket/quilt and also save on your REM sleep by not getting up to switch off/on the AC.

Cheers!
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:08   #2481
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do people spend money cooling their room so much they then need blankets to stay warm? Sure, it's a free world --- but this does puzzle me!

Many ACs will have a timer, either turn on in so many hours, or turn off in so many hours.

Many ACs will have an economy mode, which ensures the compressor does not run when not necessary and inverter technology is an entirely new generation of economising on compressor usage.

Many ACs have a "sleep" mode which allows the room to warm up slightly over the hours of the night. Never used it. I keep the room at 26-28: I would be uncomfortable if it warmed up from that!

All of these operations and details are revealed by close examination of the remote control.
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:03   #2482
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Try to fix the temperature at 23 rather than 16/17 at night. You do not need to take a heavy blanket/quilt and also save on your REM sleep by not getting up to switch off/on the AC.Cheers!
Many ACs have a sleep setting which increases the thermostat setting after some time.
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:23   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Many ACs have a sleep setting which increases the thermostat setting after some time.
Sir, I was trying to make the simplest of suggestion.
For some areas where the power cut is erratic it does not make sense to invest time and effort setting alarms. I live in Gurgaon that has acute load shedding issue, the modern cut off, inverters and value added tidbits fail for the compressor is auto cut from the power station

On the other hand people chill the rooms to 16s and 18s as they know power will cut once they are asleep. I have a old style split but with modern remote and I invariably (may be its sleep walk) bring the temp down post power cut. Hopefully this answers Thad's question as well.

The latest ACs are useful only if the power is consistent.

IIn our apartment block where DGs come within 45-60 seconds (read private island of Gurgaon) the new ACs bring about a good change. However, these societies have VRF aircondotioners that are intelligent to minimize power and effecient cooling centrally.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:21   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Just set a nice comfortable temperature, the compressor will auto cut and keep you comfortable.

E.g. Try to fix the temperature at 23 rather than 16/17 at night. You do not need to take a heavy blanket/quilt and also save on your REM sleep by not getting up to switch off/on the AC.

Cheers!
Is this feature a part of all current splits? Asking cause i just bought a Pana split last week & if this feature was applicable then i don't have to activate the timer feature.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:22   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
The problem with auto-cut is, if i the keep the temp at 25, the AC compressor restarts quite frequently and this consumes too much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
That's the nearest i've come across, for my requirement.
In our Samsung unit in that mode the thermostat automatically changes, and that's quite comfortable as our bodies require less cooling after, say 2am. But power usage reduction is not drastically lesser.

But my idea was if multiple timers are available, i can switch off the AC automatically every alternate hour, and if used along with my Havells 45w fan run at slow speed, i can reduce my AC power usage by almost half.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:46   #2486
Senior - BHPian

How are Onida A/C ?
Currently, we are having one Mitsubishi A/C installed in a 12*12 feet room on ground floor. My room is just above that, but its the first floor ( and no further floor above that ). In case of the room which has the A/C, a 1.1 ton A/c does the job super well. Moreover, the electricity consumption is also very less for such an effective A/C.
My main concern is that the first floor room get more heat and our budget this time is a bit on limited side. Max 30K, but would love to get it done if the price is less.

So I am more inclined towards Onida which offers relatively cheaper window A/C.

Also what are the other brands I must consider ?
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:34   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
How are Onida A/C ?
Currently, we are having one Mitsubishi A/C installed in a 12*12 feet room on ground floor. My room is just above that, but its the first floor ( and no further floor above that ). In case of the room which has the A/C, a 1.1 ton A/c does the job super well. Moreover, the electricity consumption is also very less for such an effective A/C.
My main concern is that the first floor room get more heat and our budget this time is a bit on limited side. Max 30K, but would love to get it done if the price is less.

So I am more inclined towards Onida which offers relatively cheaper window A/C.

Also what are the other brands I must consider ?
The cheapest AC are normally 1 or 2 start, hence consume more power. I am not absolutely sure, but the power consumption for a 1.5 ton unit is
1* - 2.5kw
5* - 1.5kw
So you save 1kw per hour straight away by going from 1* to 5*. If the AC is on 12 hours a day, and the duty cycle is 50%, then you are saving 6 units/day or about 180 units/month. If the electricity is Rs.5/unit, you are saving Rs.900/month or about 5.5K in a six month season. As the cost of electricity keeps going up, you end up spending more and more on a 1* or 2* AC.

In my case the we have 3 Ac and combined run is about 30 hours/day for seven months a year, so switching to 5* from 1* saves us at lest 15 units which at the current rate approaching Rs6/unit is 90/day, a good enough reason to get a 5*. Inverter AC will same even more as the effective consumption is even lower, bordering on 50% of a normal unit over a 12 hour period.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:50   #2488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
But my idea was if multiple timers are available, i can switch off the AC automatically every alternate hour, and if used along with my Havells 45w fan run at slow speed, i can reduce my AC power usage by almost half.
I doubt that you will find this facility except in high-end central systems, and even then it might need an optional computer control interface.

Those of us who live in Tamil Nadu will have to put up with being hotter I think. As of yesterday, bills for users of more than 500 units per two-month period will have doubled . I hear that rates have shot up in Kerala too.

philosophically, I accept that govt subsidy is for the poor, not for people like me. Still, this is going to be an enormous blow for middle-class families.
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:26   #2489
BHPian

Thanks a lot Khoj Sahab for all your valuable suggestions. Much Appreciated.

As per your advice have just got myself the following ACs:

1.8T Daikin Inverter - FTKD60 for 42.5K
1.5T 5 Star (2012) Daikin - FT50M for 36.5K
1.5T 5 Star (2012) WAC Hitachi - RAT518ESD with Twin Motor for 31.5K

All the ACs are installed and running successfully. As far as the noise levels go,the Daikins are a beauty while Hitachi is a bit noisy, although you cannot compare apples and oranges.

As for the RemoCon, the Daikin missed a point there with no back-light display which is a very useful feature for bedrooms (just in case you need to adjust settings in the middle of night without having to switch on your side light) while Hitachi has got no problem in that aspect.

Also, Daikin does not have a temperature/mode display on their IDU another small but useful feature, so you just have to look at the remote to see what temperature & settings you are on.

Still these pointers should not get any prospective buyer away from the Daikin as the main job of the Ac should be able to cool your room effectively, efficiently at minimum sound levels.

Overall very satisfied & happy with purchase.
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:54   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I doubt that you will find this facility except in high-end central systems, and even then it might need an optional computer control interface.
Yes some of the VRF central systems have a PC interface to their controller and you can program the system (which can have multiple ODU(s) and multiple IDUs) to behave as you wish. But then most of these control units are upwards of a Lac, so are feasible in large installations only.

Most Viewed