Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 14:50   #3976
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

@Thad - My current purchase is driven by economy over performance. Have heard very good things about Daikin but with installation it ends up being higher than Panasonic. I had opted for Daikin, General and Hitachi based on their copper claims. But since I am getting copper in Pana and 10 ft installation kit + installation free, it makes it a better deal. My perception is that Panasonic would provide good service. Also this one has R32 instead of 410 which experts on this thread called more of a stop gap solution rather than a final standard. The third and minor feature was their claiming their ODU to be serviced via the top bay, which is a tad useful for me on an 11th floor ledge.
Old 14th April 2015, 15:29   #3977
Distinguished - BHPian

<crossposted> Panasonic looks good to me, and your reasons are sound. Especially "tad useful"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
... ... ...these are pure copper coil with blue fin coating. The gas used is R32.
Panasonic say

Quote:
100% Copper with anti-rust coating.
Well, that's 100% guaranteed to be successful for ever!

ok, so we all know that they mean anti-corrosion, but why spread ignorance? Sure, it isn't engineers that design websites, but knowing what rust is is not exactly deep science. Even people who could not name it as an oxide of iron know that it is reddish brown and forms on iron and steel.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th April 2015 at 15:32.
Old 14th April 2015, 19:56   #3978
Senior - BHPian

Anoop, you were partially correct the blue coating is indeed done on Aluminum. Aluminum fins that is, not coils. The tag line in the brochure is misleading.

Panasonic used to call it hydrophilic coating, the idea was to allow the condensate water to slide off easily and leave the area exposed to aid faster heat exchange apart from offering protection against the environment. The coils themselves are left bare for the same reason. This has been used by Panasonic for ages and you could see this in some of the earlier units made by Videcon too (under license from Panasonic). Old timers may recall 'National' air conditioners with golden fins. Same thing different colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you - will make sure to mark the dates and follow up.

Hi Kalpesh,

I might be wrong, but I think blue fin coating is applied on Aluminium Coils and not on Copper - Blue fin coating is kind of anti corrosive coating done on aluminium coils to protect the condenser coil from moisture and humidity.

--Anoop
Old 15th April 2015, 08:10   #3979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Anoop, you were partially correct the blue coating is indeed done on Aluminum. Aluminum fins that is, not coils. The tag line in the brochure is misleading.

Panasonic used to call it hydrophilic coating, the idea was to allow the condensate water to slide off easily and leave the area exposed to aid faster heat exchange apart from offering protection against the environment. The coils themselves are left bare for the same reason. This has been used by Panasonic for ages and you could see this in some of the earlier units made by Videcon too (under license from Panasonic). Old timers may recall 'National' air conditioners with golden fins. Same thing different colours.
Now I am confused. Is this good or bad? Does it still have copper coil and hence all the good things that are said for copper or does this fall into the aluminum category and hence maybe a bit inefficient at heat transfer?
Old 15th April 2015, 08:55   #3980
BANNED

The copper coil can be seen from the side. Blue coating is some sort of an anti-corrosion treatment, but the argument in favour of copper stays.
Old 15th April 2015, 15:56   #3981
Senior - BHPian

What are the argument in favour of Copper, in points, please?
I see Sharp says Aluminium is new-gen and is far superior, (they dont offer copper at all) being low in weight as well, eg the outdoor unit is just 28 kilo, VS 40-45 kilo of competitors for 1.5 ton.

Modern appliances are changed once in 5 years, so is it just longevity that you look for in Copper? Even car engines have moved to aluminium from good old iron cast. I feel it's just our mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The copper coil can be seen from the side. Blue coating is some sort of an anti-corrosion treatment, but the argument in favour of copper stays.
Old 15th April 2015, 16:11   #3982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Modern appliances are changed once in 5 years
No reason that they should be. See built-in obsolescence!
Old 15th April 2015, 16:58   #3983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
What are the argument in favour of Copper, in points, please?
I see Sharp says Aluminium is new-gen and is far superior, (they dont offer copper at all) being low in weight as well, eg the outdoor unit is just 28 kilo, VS 40-45 kilo of competitors for 1.5 ton.

Modern appliances are changed once in 5 years, so is it just longevity that you look for in Copper? Even car engines have moved to aluminium from good old iron cast. I feel it's just our mindset.
Copper piping and heat exchangers is easily repaired by braising/soldering, Aluminium is not, it can only be repaired/welded in well equipped shops. In fact in most cases the Aluminium heat exchangers are replaced and the defective part discarded.
Old 15th April 2015, 21:37   #3984
Senior - BHPian

what confusion?

Read again and you will note I mention coating being on the fins, that are in any case drawn from Aluminum.

I have not mentioned anything about the coils, they are made out of whatever metal the OEM chooses to make them out of.

If still confused, take a look at the ODU and you will note that the fins and coils are two separate components though one is mounted on the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Now I am confused. Is this good or bad? Does it still have copper coil and hence all the good things that are said for copper or does this fall into the aluminum category and hence maybe a bit inefficient at heat transfer?
Old 16th April 2015, 00:24   #3985
Senior - BHPian

What is the difference between CMH and CFM ?

I notice Sharp mentions Airflow rate in CMH whereas General and Daikin write CFM. How does one compare airflow rate in this case ?
Old 16th April 2015, 09:02   #3986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
what confusion?

Read again and you will note I mention coating being on the fins, that are in any case drawn from Aluminum.

I have not mentioned anything about the coils, they are made out of whatever metal the OEM chooses to make them out of.

If still confused, take a look at the ODU and you will note that the fins and coils are two separate components though one is mounted on the other.
Oh okay. My mistake. Yours and sgiitks posts have been extremely helpful for me in understanding what to look out in an AC. Extremely thankful for that.
Old 16th April 2015, 09:52   #3987
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
What is the difference between CMH and CFM ?

I notice Sharp mentions Airflow rate in CMH whereas General and Daikin write CFM. How does one compare airflow rate in this case ?
CMH is Cubic metres per Hour, and CFM Cubic Feet per Minute. Wiki says 1 CMH = 0.588577779 CFM.
Old 16th April 2015, 20:13   #3988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
CMH is Cubic metres per Hour, and CFM Cubic Feet per Minute. Wiki says 1 CMH = 0.588577779 CFM.
Thank you sir!

Update:
After a month,the swing motor has finally been replaced on my General 1 ton AC. I was mislead by a franchise called

SM Coolers Bangalore
Main guy's name is Shabbir

These people were the first to inspect the AC and told me they would arrange for the part in a week. After numerous follow-ups over two weeks,they told me my AC is too old (bought in 2012) and spares aren't available anymore. He'll try to arrange something after June since he's too busy now. I suspected something fishy so wrote a strong mail to General India on April 2.

A person called Feroz (Service Head as I realized today) got in touch after 2-3 days and arranged for the part to be replaced through another agency which was done today. The service guy from the previous agency had applied grease on many parts, which was NOT required and was also attracting dust,a spring had also been misplaced by him which made the unit rattle on use,thankfully the guy who came today fixed both issues.

So kindly beware of this franchise and better to ask the call center guys to allot another agency if you're unlucky to get this agency.

Quote:
Need help to select a AC for the living room. Dimensions are approx 24'Lx12.5'Wx10'H. Its a ground floor with no floors above and two windows on the eastern side.
Quoting myself again, in a few years this living room may need alterations to make way for a staircase in which case,nearly 30-35% of the RCC roof will be cut to accommodate the staircase.

In that case,how do I go about selecting a AC ? Unfortunately,AC can be mounted only on one wall, as all other sides of the living room share walls with other rooms.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 16th April 2015 at 20:19.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:03   #3989
Senior - BHPian

It is true that repeated handling of Window ACs (for washing etc) increase the chances of Gas leaks?

I use a 7 year old Whirlpool that I have now stopped AMC for this year onwards.
Apart from cleaning the air filter I wanted to get the inner bits cleaned/washed.

How do forum members maintain slightly older ACs?

Last edited by Hatari : 16th April 2015 at 23:09.
Old 17th April 2015, 06:27   #3990
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir!

Update:
After a month,the swing motor has finally been replaced on my General 1 ton AC. I was mislead by a franchise called

SM Coolers Bangalore
Main guy's name is Shabbir

So kindly beware of this franchise and better to ask the call center guys to allot another agency if you're unlucky to get this agency.
Unfortunately these people are authorized installers and possibly entrusted with repair as well for Panasonic. Who knows which other brands they 'serve'!

My Panasonic AC was installed by the same people and as I reported in this thread earlier, it was a shoddy job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks