Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 13:51   #4066
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
you should install something like this on your rooftop.
AC will work easier and temps will be cool and steady throughout the year.

And there will be no hot water from the solar water heater

Otherwise, I would love something like that. Actually, I'd love an extra room or two ---and nobody around here seems to bother about permissions before making such extensions--- but funds do not allow.
Old 30th April 2015, 16:43   #4067
Senior - BHPian

You will need permissions from muncipal or panchayat only if you enclose that on all four sides. If you don't then it is ok. With imagination, then this can be carried off even with small budget. Just select a target area with maximum sun exposure and put it at such an angle that can minimize coverage area yet get maximum benefit. It's not as expensive as you think it is. Probably cost of 2 1.5 ton inverter splits for coverage of 1500 sq ft.
Old 30th April 2015, 18:20   #4068
Distinguished - BHPian

Our whole house is only 1,000 sq ft! I won't say it is tiny, because I know people who live in much, much smaller places, but it is quite small. Backside houses, in what was canal-side slum, seem to grow and grow all the time. Next door house has built extra (rented-out) space on terrace. Actually, she is the only owner we know, so should ask her what she did --- and how much the building cost her.
Old 30th April 2015, 19:28   #4069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And there will be no hot water from the solar water heater

Otherwise, I would love something like that. Actually, I'd love an extra room or two ---and nobody around here seems to bother about permissions before making such extensions--- but funds do not allow.
Actually if instead of tiles you use the solar water panels (they will collect more heat at an angle), the effect will be same and your heater will work.
Old 30th April 2015, 19:53   #4070
Senior - BHPian

1000 sq ft will cost just around 60K. 20K for sheets, 10K for material, and some 10-15K for labour. Just go for it.
Old 30th April 2015, 19:55   #4071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually if instead of tiles you use the solar water panels (they will collect more heat at an angle), the effect will be same and your heater will work.
It's a vacuum-tube system

How about building such a structure from solar-electric panels? That would be great ...but blindlingly expensive

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th April 2015 at 19:56.
Old 30th April 2015, 20:05   #4072
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
CThe chaps came today. They had the wrong motors. All new ones have twin motors, mine is single. They removed the motor. The capo promises tomorrow evening or latest the day after.
Pleasant surprise. Got a call today. Motor replaced this evening. Now seems to be working fine. Total damages only ₹1800. Admire Hitachi build quality. Far superior to the ones I have seen before.
Old 1st May 2015, 12:04   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuduku View Post
O GENERAL AXGT18AATH 1.5 TON 2 STAR WINDOW AC
Carrier Estrella Premium GWRAC018EP040 1.5 Ton 5 Star Window AC
Hitachi Summer QC RAV518HUD 1.5 Ton 5 Star Window AC
I have Hitachi's 1.5 ton QC model serving me for 1.5 years now. I don't have any issues with the AC but somebody said something about the twin motor technology, which I think is the QM/TM series from Hitachi.

Unless stretching the budget is a strict no-no then Hitachi's QC 1.5 ton is a great AC. Its got loads of features, looks very nice and its all I could ask from a window AC.
Old 1st May 2015, 14:11   #4074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I only hope Hitachi are more reliable. New motor after about 2-1/2 year of max 3 hours a day in summers is not my cup of tea. Let is see if it is a one off or regular.
Quote:
... Admire Hitachi build quality. Far superior to the ones I have seen before.
Hmm, I'm getting confused about what you actually believe!
Just because the cost was below your expectations makes the build quality admirable?
Old 1st May 2015, 15:34   #4075
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Hmm, I'm getting confused about what you actually believe!
Just because the cost was below your expectations makes the build quality admirable?
No confusion, the first was cribbing about the failure.

The letter was how well it is put together, no adjustable positions for the blower/fan, easy to open up and close, etc. The shaft is threaded with a normal rh nut (locking) on the blower, and a lh nut (marginally bigger) for the rear. Took them all of an hour the fix and test the motor assembly. Any reasonably competent fellow can open and reassemble without any sweat, or need to tweak.
Old 1st May 2015, 17:20   #4076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Any reasonably competent fellow can open and reassemble without any sweat, or need to tweak.
So, a well engineered, well designed product?
I would say the build quality remains suspect if failure occurred in such a short term.
Old 1st May 2015, 19:17   #4077

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have Hitachi's 1.5 ton QC model serving me for 1.5 years now. I don't have any issues with the AC but somebody said something about the twin motor technology, which I think is the QM/TM series from Hitachi.

Unless stretching the budget is a strict no-no then Hitachi's QC 1.5 ton is a great AC. Its got loads of features, looks very nice and its all I could ask from a window AC.
Increasing 2/4k is a no issue . Saw the Hitachi Summer TM 1.5 TR - RAT518HUD . Checking it out .
Old 1st May 2015, 20:14   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuduku View Post
Increasing 2/4k is a no issue . Saw the Hitachi Summer TM 1.5 TR - RAT518HUD . Checking it out .
All features are same except for two motors. I'm not sure if its really beneficial having 2 motors but if it is, I'd suggest go for the TM series.
Old 2nd May 2015, 09:31   #4079
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
All features are same except for two motors. I'm not sure if its really beneficial having 2 motors but if it is, I'd suggest go for the TM series.
Twin motors will help. As the room cools down there and the blower is slowed down, there is a benefit in keeping the condenser fan running faster for optimal condensation.
Old 2nd May 2015, 11:35   #4080
Senior - BHPian

In the twin motor system, the blower throwing air into the room remains on, while the blower cooling the rear condenser is off. There by saving some power. In a single motor both the blowers are on always, there fore the rear blower is wasting power when it is not needed.

In some ways the two motor concepts is similar to a split AC, where there are separate motors for indoor and outdoor units.

Most Viewed