Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2018, 16:24   #5566
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Thanks. If it needs a service that runs in the "cloud," then, indeed, it is going to have to have internet access.
Old 28th January 2018, 19:04   #5567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
This cannot be locked down to Lan only. Won't work if there is no internet connectivity. (EDIT: I haven't found a way to make these work in Lan only.) Of these devices, you have one model with RF control additionally for family members uncomfortable with smart phones. The device that shows power consumption is only one model and is rated at 16A, while the 10A ones do not report any stats or show instantaneous power consumption. One good thing is these devices work excellently with Amazon Echo and hence make it easy to turn on and off things without a smartphone.
Which one have you purchased and how do we connect the 16A plug to this? Looks interesting.
Old 28th January 2018, 19:10   #5568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Which one have you purchased and how do we connect the 16A plug to this? Looks interesting.
This is the one and I buy each from different sellers to avoid them packing all into one large package.
Itead Sonoff Pow 16A
http://s.aliexpress.com/Yry2YFjM
I have replaced the MCB in the AC panel with this device.
My room daikin ac consumes about 8 units of power each night.
Just the Stabilizer switched on draws 12W
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1517146706383.jpg  

Last edited by diyguy : 28th January 2018 at 19:16.
Old 1st March 2018, 21:06   #5569
BHPian

Daikin has discontinued its JTKM series & replaced it with JTKJ with SAME features but a higher price tag. Glad I bought the 1.5 Ton in Oct 2017 but my uncle needs one this year.

Anybody got a look at the new models. Its not available anywhere yet since its launched in January 2018.
Old 4th March 2018, 18:32   #5570
BHPian

Hi Team,

Query here is regarding 1.5 ton LG Windows AC purchased in 2005, consuming 1895 W. Today during the servicing, the technician looked at the compressor power terminals located on the top of compressor and told that the compressor is consuming high current as the wires insulation were heated and melted a bit.
To me, the AC is working fine just that it has gone through gas recharge twice in last 5 years. During normal running, I can hear the water flow like sound from the rear coils.

I asked how much the new compressor costs, he replied around 10K and better to buy a new AC. I asked how much the assembled one costs, he told that assembled ones are having another type of compressor and costs around 25K, later he suggested to go Karol Bagh and get General AC imported ones.

As of Now, March been touching 33 Degree here, need to decide for atleast next 10 years.Please help

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 5th March 2018, 01:42   #5571
Distinguished - BHPian

Of the three Samsung ACs that we bought when we moved in here, the final one is now dead. Being very pleased with our second-hand Daikin, we asked our local engineer, but all he is offering us is a 1-ton Sharp. You can imagine that I am not keen. He says it's fine, it is not an inverter model, so he can easily repair it. I don't want to even be reminded of Sharp!

The Daikin in our smaller (but we sleep in it) bedroom is 1.5-ton, and replaced a 1-ton machine. The dead Samsung in the larger "bedroom" is 1.5 ton, but given the useage of the room, I think a 1-ton will do fine.

So I guess I'm getting ready to go out and buy a new 1-ton, non-inverter, Daikin. Intending to go to the local dealer, rather than potentially cheaper options, in the hope of better support and service in the years to come.
Old 5th March 2018, 06:29   #5572
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
This is the one and I buy each from different sellers to avoid them packing all into one large package.

Why? Why do you want them in different packages?
Old 5th March 2018, 08:41   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why? Why do you want them in different packages?
for the package to remain small and escape customs duty. Also if the package goes missing at least you stand chance of getting the others.
Old 5th March 2018, 09:09   #5574
BHPian

This post is filled with LG/Samsung and Daikins. But the AC technician mentions about OG/Bluestar/Carrier. Confused!!

In the market for 2 ton AC for my hall. Which one is the best when it comes to cooling a 20x20 ft room?
Old 5th March 2018, 10:09   #5575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
This post is filled with LG/Samsung and Daikins. But the AC technician mentions about OG/Bluestar/Carrier. Confused!!

In the market for 2 ton AC for my hall. Which one is the best when it comes to cooling a 20x20 ft room?
I would suggest General to you. It is best for large spaces which need cooling as the airflow is tremendous, however, it is quite costly.

Buy from authorised dealers only as there are many imported units floating in the market. The imported one do not get warranty from general india. This is also one of the reasons why there is a large fluctuation in the price between different dealers.

There is 1 more A/C from Mitsubishi Electric. I have heard good things for it and the specs are also very good. Do have a look at that too. I have not experienced it myself but heard a lot of good things about it.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:09   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Please help
The wires melting is possible due to the excess heat coming off the compressor, age of the unit and not due to an electrical fault. I would not be too worried about this but it helps to isolate the wire from the compressor and not have it stick to it.

It is possible to replace the compressor alone to a more efficient one from Tecumesh or Kirloskar but this requires skill. Ask for Rotary compressor. 2005 units are likely to have a reciprocating one.

From an efficiency perspective, it is any day better to replace the unit or move it to a smaller room which is less used, has less cooling area. A modern day 5 Star Blue Star 1.5ton Window unit consumes about 1500 watt. I have a similar aged Blue Star which works really well but guzzles power. Gas recharging is not required at all for a window AC as it is a completely sealed at factory unit. There should be no leak at all unless corrosion has made its way into the cooling coils or evaporator.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 5th March 2018 at 10:15.
Old 5th March 2018, 12:22   #5577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
I would suggest General to you. It is best for large spaces which need cooling as the airflow is tremendous, however, it is quite costly.
Was browsing at their website and whoa, the cost is double when compared to LGs/Samsung and even Blue star.

How is their power consumption and other features. Have looked at their dealer locator and identified the one to visit, so this info would be quite handy.
Old 5th March 2018, 12:28   #5578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Was browsing at their website and whoa, the cost is double when compared to LGs/Samsung and even Blue star.

How is their power consumption and other features. Have looked at their dealer locator and identified the one to visit, so this info would be quite handy.
The price is double than the Korean ones due to the quality of the stuff. The ACs are really awesome and the cooling much better. As far as consumption is concerned, both General and Mitsubishi also make 5* and Inverter ACs. So the the consumption is comparable to LGs & Samsungs.

The consumption will also be mentioned in the brochure.
Old 5th March 2018, 12:55   #5579
BHPian

Our home has quite a large living area which is essentially, a double height living cum room plus kitchen, drawing room, utility area, study area, gym cum recreation plus a large courtyard with a pergola. This place (Trivandrum) is very hot and humid.

It is impossible to air-condition the whole space. Is it possible to run an AC locally around the TV/seating area? I mean, a setup which blows cool air in the seating area but not necessarily cool the entire space? Would I run into huge electricity bills? What type of aircon (inverter/non-inverter) is better for this kind of cooling?

I have seen this floorstanding aircon units in small supermarkets. Is it effective in homes?
Old 5th March 2018, 19:21   #5580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Our home has quite a large living area which is essentially, a double height living cum room plus kitchen, drawing room, utility area, study area, gym cum recreation plus a large courtyard with a pergola. This place (Trivandrum) is very hot and humid.

It is impossible to air-condition the whole space. Is it possible to run an AC locally around the TV/seating area? I mean, a setup which blows cool air in the seating area but not necessarily cool the entire space? Would I run into huge electricity bills? What type of aircon (inverter/non-inverter) is better for this kind of cooling?

I have seen this floorstanding aircon units in small supermarkets. Is it effective in homes?
If a space is cooled locally, then the AC may not cut off, so the compressor will run longer, which translates to higher electricity bill. If you take a nominal figure of 1200W/ton, then for a 4 ton AC you will be incurring 1.2x4 ~ 5 units of electricity per hour - that is the cost of comfort!

You get Floor Standing AC in various capacities. I thing LG starts with a 2 Ton and goes all the way to 20T+. These are Commercial Spec AC, so they a hefty air throw and are much more rugged than home AC.

By the way, to calculate AC tonnage, use a simple (totally arbitrary, but it works) formula - 1 Ton per 1000 cubic feet, + 1 ton per 6 persons. So if your area is say 20' x 20' x 20 height you have 8000 cubic feet and there are 12 persons, that is 8+2=10 tons in normal condition to get 20- temperature (half the tonnage if 27 degrees is acceptable). Two 4 ton floor standing AC's should do the job most of the time. Start with one and see if it is effective, then add second if you need more areas cooled and finally a third if there is a need for the whole area to be cooled or when the number of persons is 20 or more.

http://www.lg.com/in/highlander-series-ac/lg-APNQ48GTA1
http://www.lg.com/africa/floor-stand...r-conditioners
http://www.daikinindia.com/products-...floor-standing

An alternative that is twice as expensive initially, but has less than half running cost is to get a high capacity package unit. These start at 5 Tons and go all the way to hundreds of tons. LG, Diakin, Voltas and Blue Star amongst others are major commercial AC Solution Providers. Contact them and get a total solution designed for your needs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks