Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2017, 13:20   #5416
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Guys, have a sharp 2T inverter ac which has been working just fine all these years. it is one of those models which comes with a power consumption digital display.

Recently the display is acting weird and 0 has become 8. Imagine my shock when i got up at night to see a display of 8.2KW!

Is it something i should be worried about?
Old 1st July 2017, 18:37   #5417
BHPian

Hi guys, looking for advice on 1 Ton window AC, any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 1st July 2017, 18:44   #5418

I don't think Mitsubishi offers window ACs. Otherwise it has the best Split ACs and even VRF systems. Hitachi is still into window ACs. Go for that.
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:38   #5419
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
I don't think Mitsubishi offers window ACs. Otherwise it has the best Split ACs and even VRF systems. Hitachi is still into window ACs. Go for that.
I find my Hitachi 1.5TR Window unit a pain. It has blown up a fan motor, and the remote has a very narrow angle of acceptance. So I am afraid Hitachi is OURT.
Old 2nd July 2017, 12:02   #5420

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I find my Hitachi 1.5TR Window unit a pain. It has blown up a fan motor, and the remote has a very narrow angle of acceptance. So I am afraid Hitachi is OURT.
Remote reception of my split also suffers the same. True. But cooling is very effective. Which window AC would you suggest if not Hitachi?
Old 2nd July 2017, 14:56   #5421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I'm just not able to source window AC's where I live (Vellore, TN)! None of the shop guys seem to have it in stock and all are asking 5-6 days to procure one. I paid an advance at the LG brand shop last week, and there's no unit even after 7 days!

Are Window AC's really that scarce or are shops not interested in dealing with them as margins are lower?

Above was my post in April, when I was looking for a window AC.

Finally found a dealer who was willing to procure a Blue Star unit. 1.5T, 3 star with basic functions for 29k (including stabiliser & installation). General was quoting 8k more for similar specced unit, just couldn't find any other units even for comparison sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Hello people could you please suggest a good window AC 1.5 tonnes needed for home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post

Thanks in advance for your help
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1498987603404.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2017, 21:50   #5422
Team-BHP Support

What is this 3M unit inside the filter, it sits after I take the filter out to clean it.
I have attached the model number as well in case someone wants to know. Does one need to clean that as well?
Thanks

The home / office air-conditioner thread-1.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd July 2017 at 22:05. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Old 4th July 2017, 05:35   #5423
BHPian

Any suggestions on a less than 1.0T Window AC unit? Amazon only has 1T and above. No fancy features, efficiency figures, etc needed. Just a silent machine with a remote.

MaSh
Old 4th July 2017, 09:40   #5424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Recently the display is acting weird and 0 has become 8. Imagine my shock when i got up at night to see a display of 8.2KW!

Is it something i should be worried about?
Not right now - if the unit continues to work. Your control board probably has a dedicated chip that calculates the consumption and displays it. If the display is an integrated one, you might miss out on the settings. Eventually the board will fail. It is a matter of time. My Whirlpool control panel used to beep occasionally ( a sign of failure) for months before it failed completely. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
I replaced my Voltas 1.5 Window unit with Panasonic 1.5 ton 5 star a couple of months back. It cost me some 34k. My experience with Panasonic for over 2 decades has been positive.
Old 4th July 2017, 09:43   #5425
Distinguished - BHPian

The 3m item it's likely to be HEPA filter for 2.5um particulates
Old 4th July 2017, 09:58   #5426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Not right now - if the unit continues to work. Your control board probably has a dedicated chip that calculates the consumption and displays it. If the display is an integrated one, you might miss out on the settings. Eventually the board will fail. It is a matter of time. My Whirlpool control panel used to beep occasionally ( a sign of failure) for months before it failed completely. Your mileage may vary.
Ah man. Thanks for the warning. Shall take a look at it then. Problem is that it is Sharp and since the company does not exist in the market anymore i need to pray to the AC gods and hope it's a small issue.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:15   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Any pointers if I am being taken for a ride ?
I second the comments of the other FM's.

I have moved my split air conditioner 4 times and nothing has happened to it. I did change the copper pipes once but this was done only because while transporting the pipes, we forgot to seal the ends so did not want to take a chance by reusing it as a foreign object may have entered the pipes. I was also fortunate to have my uncle assist me with each installation. I do the heavy lifting, uncle does the actual piping, gas work, wiring, etc. It is also true that you can store the refrigerant in the outdoor unit but few technicians do this cause its huge money for them. I have experienced only one Blue Star technician in Cochin who did this. He admitted that its so much easier to reinstall the AC when you have gas stored in the system but also said its a money making racket.

I have personally done shopping for refrigerant and copper pipes and they cost nothing compared to the quotes you receive from dealers. I got a quote from a dealer for 4K for installation which included new copper pipes and refrigerant. I did the entire job for Rs. 1500 and this was for copper pipe extending upto 14 feet.

Gas leaks rarely occur from the unit fins. It is usually poor flaring of the pipes that causes leaks. When the seal isn't perfect, gas leaks.

Take a quote from someone else or as another FM said, ask the engineer to show you the leak.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 4th July 2017 at 11:29.
Old 4th July 2017, 15:45   #5428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
Remote reception of my split also suffers the same. True. But cooling is very effective. Which window AC would you suggest if not Hitachi?
I think Panasonic may be close to Hitachi, and hopefully they may be more reliable. I am coming down to the view that Panasonic are (nearly) as good as Daikin and Hitachi for splits and window units.
Old 4th July 2017, 20:28   #5429

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think Panasonic may be close to Hitachi, and hopefully they may be more reliable. I am coming down to the view that Panasonic are (nearly) as good as Daikin and Hitachi for splits and window units.
Noted sir. Any idea about their life? I have a 15 year Old 1.5TR Samsung window unit still on original compressor and gas. Not even a rupee spent except the yearly service. It is so effective that it chills my 300sq.ft. room in hardly any time. This quality, today can be found only with Mitsubishi i think. Vendors tell me that Mitsubishi has the best overall quality and a heavy duty copper cooling coil.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:41   #5430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The 3m item it's likely to be HEPA filter for 2.5um particulates
I didn't understand this While I can google things, but does it need to be cleaned? Any other pointers..?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks