Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 00:28   #6166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The only problem with heat pump AC is that they cannot normally operate below certain ambient temperature. In sub zero temperatures the outside condenser may freeze.
This one looks as if it is going to function in sub-zero temperatures!

This taking heat out of the air even when when air is damned cold completely baffles me! Somebody said something about sufficiently-advanced tecnology being indistinguishable from magic. For me, this qualifies!
Old 14th April 2019, 22:56   #6167
BHPian

Hi, would anyone have views on Hitachi and Samsung inverter split air conditioners? Thank you!
Old 15th April 2019, 00:10   #6168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Hi, would anyone have views on Hitachi and Samsung inverter split air conditioners? Thank you!
Bought 2 Hitachi split inverters last summer. After visiting all the major companies I found that there's not much difference among various brands i.e. in a particular price bracket one gets more or less the same features.

What matters most is -
a) How good/ reliable the local after sales service provider is, and
b) The warranty being provided by the company.

Ideally the after sales provider should have been in this field for a longish period (5+ or 10+ years) & preferably with the same OEM(s).

Regarding warranty, go for whichever company covers most parts for longest period. (Last year LG & Hitachi were offering 10 year warranties on IDU, ODU & PCBs. LG was also covering refill gas cost).

PS: Some high cooling capacity units ( i.e. how quickly will a particular 1ton unit cool a given space as compared to another 1ton unit from same or different brand - there's an acronym for that which I can't recall) are very noisy for home/ bedroom usage.

PPS: The machines with 0.5 degree temperature increment are much better at maintaining a stable room temperature.
Old 15th April 2019, 00:14   #6169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Bought 2 Hitachi split inverters last summer. After visiting all the major companies I found that there's not much difference among various brands i.e. in a particular price bracket one gets more or less the same features.

What matters most is -
a) How good/ reliable the local after sales service provider is, and
b) The warranty being provided by the company.

Ideally the after sales provider should have been in this field for a longish period (5+ or 10+ years) & preferably with the same OEM(s).

Regarding warranty, go for whichever company covers most parts for longest period. (Last year LG & Hitachi were offering 10 year warranties on IDU, ODU & PCBs. LG was also covering refill gas cost).

PS: Some high cooling capacity units ( i.e. how quickly will a particular 1ton unit cool a given space as compared to another 1ton unit from same or different brand - there's an acronym for that which I can't recall) are very noisy for home/ bedroom usage.

PPS: The machines with 0.5 degree temperature increment are much better at maintaining a stable room temperature.
Hey, thank you very much. How has your experience been with the Hitachis? I'm facing a peculiar issue wherein I have to choose an AC based on the height (lower is better) of the indoor unit. I'd have ideally gone for LG but the constraint nudged me towards Hitachi and Samsung.
Old 15th April 2019, 00:14   #6170
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thank you very much. How has your experience been with the Hitachis? I'm facing a peculiar issue wherein I have to choose an AC based on the height (lower is better) of the indoor unit. I'd have ideally gone for LG but the constraint nudged me towards Hitachi and Samsung.
The Hitachi machines are very good. As already mentioned I had chosen based on features in the price bracket plus the after sales & warranty.

The after sales support varies for different cities so you'll have to ask/ inquire locally in Bangalore. Going by online reviews Hitachi after sales has a sort of bad rep in many cities, but it's handled by reliable folks in my city hence the choice (at least since last year all service visits have been auto generated from Hitachi (company's) end, with text based verification before & after the service, and the local provider follows through on that)

Last edited by mn2363 : 15th April 2019 at 00:31. Reason: Adding details
Old 15th April 2019, 00:21   #6171
BHPian

Quote:
I purchase Hitachi DC Inverter type split ACs 3 years back.

- Both ACs are working satisfactory. Which costed me 60k for each unit.

- AC unit has built-in self cleaning unit. Which cleans evaporator fins every 8 hours automatically. This facility gives longer performance between each cleaning service.

- Service is good at Mangalore.

Old 15th April 2019, 02:32   #6172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post
I purchase Hitachi DC Inverter type split ACs 3 years back...

- AC unit has built-in self cleaning unit. Which cleans evaporator fins every 8 hours automatically. This facility gives longer performance between each cleaning service...
Are you certain about the automatic evaporator cleaning?

From what I saw on the ones we have it just brushes the mesh filter on top and deposits the fluff in the removable plastic can at the far end.

Last edited by mn2363 : 15th April 2019 at 02:33.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:51   #6173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Are you certain about the automatic evaporator cleaning?

From what I saw on the ones we have it just brushes the mesh filter on top and deposits the fluff in the removable plastic can at the far end.
Hi mn2363,

In normal split AC, there is an external coarse filter before evaporator. Any airborne particles passes through this filter will eventually accumulated in evaporator fins and reduces cooling efficiency rapidly. Which require manual cleaning every 3 monthly.

In Hitachi self cleaning split AC, between coarse fillet and evaporator, there is a separate barrier filter just above the evaporator coil. Which is protecting evaporator fins. That filter is being cleaned every 8 hours of AC operation by mechanical movement of the cleaning head there by taking most of the airborne dust particles to the collecting box. With self cleaning operation evaporator fins will be clean most of the time.

In a way it is cleaning filter only as you mentioned in your post, but end result is evaporator fins will be in clean condition.

These ACs I have done just 2 cleaning service in 3 years.

Old 15th April 2019, 11:55   #6174
BANNED

Quote:
Hitachi is good but LG is not in the same league.The only issue is the availability of spares. As for LG they use Aluminum for the condensers so they may easy leak in corrosive conditions.

Make sure, whatever you get uses the latest Rxx or even R32 and not R22 which is being banned.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:38   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hitachi is good but LG is not in the same league.The only issue is the availability of spares. As for LG they use Aluminum for the condensers so they may easy leak in corrosive conditions.

Make sure, whatever you get uses the latest Rxx or even R32 and not R22 which is being banned.
LG have both Aluminum and Copper condenser models. Their current 1,5T dual inverters are generally copper, but it is better to verify from their site before purchasing.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:55   #6176
Distinguished - BHPian

Trying to find a slim cassette AC, Samsung seems to be the only choice : https://www.samsung.com/in/business/...am071fn1dehtl/

This one way AC model is 5.5inches all other brands and models are way bigger which aren't an option as they will require ceiling height to come down considerably.

Please suggest if there are any other slim ceiling mounted cassette AC units available or due to the launch in the next 3 months or so.
Old 15th April 2019, 13:01   #6177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Hi sir,

Hitachi has copper coils. I confirmed with dealer before placing order.

I had a pathetic experience with Samsung ACs 9 years back. Out of 3 Samsung ACs, one AC was having aluminium coil which started leaking gas from the aluminium coil after the warranty period. I had to replace with copper coil and refilled gas. Max life was 5 - 6 years, after that period everything starts failing and corroding.

Mostly all the makers are selling with eco-friendly refrigerant gas 404A, 134A only. As old refrigerant is banned.

Venkatesh.H
Old 15th April 2019, 13:58   #6178
BHPian

I've to decide between these two....

https://carriermideaindia.com/air-co...idjet-Inverter

https://carriermideaindia.com/air-co...idjet-Inverter
Old 15th April 2019, 15:14   #6179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
Hi Wolf_lone,

- Both Carrier models are of Inverter type, both are good. Carrier products are of high standard. Need to check with after sale service. Service centre at your city.

- Inverter type ACs work continuously and maintains set temperature with minimum band width, unlike conventional type which cut-in/cut-off thereby consuming more energy and higher set temperature band width.

Venkatesh.H
Old 15th April 2019, 17:35   #6180
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bought 2 Hitachi split air-cons. Very happy with them.

- I'm sensitive to temperature. Cannot take things too cold or too hot. The Hitachis are much better at maintaining the temperature throughout the day / night than Daikins which used to fluctuate a lot.

- Even on "low" fan setting, it's not as whisper silent as the Daikins. However, I prefer this "white noise" as it mutes other external sounds out quite nicely.

- Cools the room damn fast.

Will buy again .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks