Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2019, 14:47   #6151
BHPian

Thanks aroy. Issue is the IDU of existing ac has a leak. Last Oct I had got the IDU repaired by plugging the leaks. Now the Technician mentioned that he'll have to take the IDU again to his shop to check. I'm skeptical about the outcome and future reliability hence thought of replacing. Only concern is whether there will be any technical issue if the existing piping which was used for R410a is used for R32.
Old 11th April 2019, 18:45   #6152
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I am looking to buy 1.5T Hot and Cold Inverter AC. Looking for suggestions on tge long term service life of these AC`s. Hiw much do the AC c9nsune while on heat mode?
Old 11th April 2019, 19:24   #6153
Distinguished - BHPian

By the way, I was wondering... How do hot and cold AC machines heat? Do they reverse the action and become heat pumps, or do they have some heating element?
Old 11th April 2019, 20:37   #6154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
By the way, I was wondering... How do hot and cold AC machines heat? Do they reverse the action and become heat pumps, or do they have some heating element?
They have a separate heating coil. Compressor does not switch on when in heating mode. The air from the blower passes over the hot coil and comes out warm
Old 12th April 2019, 03:54   #6155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do they reverse the action and become heat pumps, or do they have some heating element?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
They have a separate heating coil.
Heat Pumps do not use a heating element.

The Compressor is active in Heating mode as well. There is no other way it can pump heated refrigerant into the indoor unit. Yes; it is a reverse action that takes place. Technically; they do not create heat. The outdoor unit absorbs warmth from the surrounding air and uses refrigerant as a medium to heat transfer.

Being an inverter unit, power consumption is the least of my worries. I use a 5.8 kilowatt (Heating) Mitsubishi Classic GE50 series Heat Pump

This URL explains it well;
http://www.mitsubishi-electric.co.nz/heatpump/how.aspx

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 12th April 2019 at 03:59.
Old 12th April 2019, 05:43   #6156
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
They have a separate heating coil. Compressor does not switch on when in heating mode.
Both modes are possible. I have seen both types. The reversing compressor is more efficient since the heat pump action extracts some energy from the outside air. I fact the first AC we had (Airtemp) in the 1960's was in the heat pump mode, while the second unit (Fedders Lloyd) on the 1970's used a heating element. After that I have had no hot and cold ACs.
Old 12th April 2019, 06:50   #6157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Go to an electronics spare parts shop and ask for MOV. It is a 2 legged component (Metal Oxide Varistor) that can be fitted inside the metal socket of your AC supply point. Make sure that it is fitted after a suitably rated MCB.
Could you please provide the specifications for the MOV? I am guessing they'd all be the same for the supply points for normal (230 Volts) electronic appliances. Thanks.
Old 12th April 2019, 10:11   #6158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Could you please provide the specifications for the MOV? I am guessing they'd all be the same for the supply points for normal (230 Volts) electronic appliances. Thanks.
Metal Oxide Varistor 20mm /300 V/ 20 A

You can check a typical product's data sheet and probably buy from here: https://www.mouser.in/Search/Refine?...rd=MOV-20D301K

I have no business interest in selling MOV or have no stack in mouser supplier. I talked about MOV as it is a cheap solution for all line transients problem.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 07:46. Reason: line spacing for better readability
Old 12th April 2019, 10:54   #6159
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Metal Oxide Varistor 20mm /300 V/ 20 A
Thanks again! Can you share a picture of how a MOV is connected inside of a 15A electrical outlet ?
Old 12th April 2019, 11:04   #6160
Senior - BHPian

The only problem with heat pump AC is that they cannot normally operate below certain ambient temperature. In sub zero temperatures the outside condenser may freeze.

https://www.carrier.com/residential/...-conditioners/
https://www.trane.com/residential/en...s-a-heat-pump/
Old 12th April 2019, 13:13   #6161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks again! Can you share a picture of how a MOV is connected inside of a 15A electrical outlet ?
I have given a basic circuit diagram here showing the connections. I have used a capacitor symbol instead of the MOV symbol as MOV symbol was not available in the diagram drawing software.

In words, the mov is connected across the supply line. I screw the terminals directly to the socket. Make sure that the excess wire is trimmed. But make sure that there is a fuse or a miniature circuit breaker ahead of this mov.

I usually use 300 V/ 20 A/ 20 mm MOV which protects the appliance connected from a Neutral failure as well.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-circuitdiagrammov..jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 07:47. Reason: line spacing for better readability
Old 12th April 2019, 17:07   #6162
BHPian

Quote:
I have given a basic circuit diagram here showing the connections. I have used a capacitor symbol instead of the MOV symbol as MOV symbol was not available in the diagram drawing software. ......
Finally found that note to myself : MOV 14N431K spike buster surge protector.

This was in the spike buster for my ancient PC. Those days I didn't know where I could buy them. SP Rd people were unhelpful.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 07:47. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 12th April 2019, 20:11   #6163
Senior - BHPian

Which 1.5 ton AC would be better - Panasonic or Voltas? Panasonic now gives a 5 year warranty for the PCB. Both have the same star rating. Not interested in the other brands.
Old 12th April 2019, 20:18   #6164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Which 1.5 ton AC would be better - Panasonic or Voltas? Panasonic now gives a 5 year warranty for the PCB. Both have the same star rating. Not interested in the other brands.
Don't know about Panasonic but we are extremely satisfied with our two 5 year old Voltas 1.5T non inverter units. Performs as well as they did on day one with just usual cleanings till now.
Only grouse is that the external units are a bit noisy. I don't know if they have improved on this aspect or not. But if you plan to keep the external unit away from the windows or on your terrace then you can consider Voltas.
Old 12th April 2019, 21:20   #6165
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sherlocked. Have been hearing good reports about Voltas too. The external units are reasonably away but that's a point I will look into. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks