Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 14:22   #6286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Is it just SRK18YVS or is it SRK18YVS-w6 and how much did they charge for installation.
it's W6 and install is 1500 with exorbitant costs for material. I have told them. I will provide material but I still need to pay extra labor for every meter 250rs for copper and stand install of 250rs over and above the 1500.
Old 31st May 2019, 16:31   #6287
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

If it is just unrolling the tube, extra labor is a bit absurd, but if the run and bends are at all tricky it might be fair
Old 31st May 2019, 22:34   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is all a matter of complex physics which I have tried to present it in simple English.
The damage these AC water can do to the building or parked car underneath has to be seen to be believed. It damaged my ground floor concrete topping above the window over a period of time.
Thad reported that it damaged his Maruti car metal shield near the wipers - if I remember right.
I thought condensation water from ACs are very clean, I even told my wife it will be very good for her flowers. How bad is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
What could be the difference? I am aware that the new AC is more efficient as the energy ratings have changed from Jan 2018. But I am not able to understand how 2 AC's from the same manufacturer with the same spec have such vast difference in cooling. Also note that both rooms are of the same size.
Another factor could be orientation and fenestrations of the room. Maybe it has south / west wall exposed to sun, and the other room does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I have also started using the 3m AC filters to help reduce the amount of dust entering the AC
Be careful not to over do it. I covered about 80% of the air intake with 3M filter, and air output went down drastically. Which also means cooling efficiency went down.
Old 31st May 2019, 23:39   #6289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thad reported that it damaged his Maruti car metal shield near the wipers - if I remember right.
No, Prowler: my Swift fell apart without any help from an AC machine! It's a good few years ago now, but I don't think it was even parked under an AC. At this house, certainly not.

Essentially, it is distilled water, right? I would not expect that to be harmful to anything, because it is just water without whatever mineral/etc was previously dissolved in it. But it is only going to be as clean as the inside of the AC machine where it condenses and runs off and over the surfaces.
Old 31st May 2019, 23:47   #6290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Is it just SRK18YVS or is it SRK18YVS-w6 and how much did they charge for installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
it's W6 and install is 1500 with exorbitant costs for material. I have told them. I will provide material but I still need to pay extra labor for every meter 250rs for copper and stand install of 250rs over and above the 1500.
I was trying to get the SRK13YVS-W6 from one of their dealers in Kerala, but the experience was pretty bad. They were forcing me to do full payment before even delivery and also pushed me to get one of their 2018 models. The W6 series has just been launched and is yet to arrive at the dealers. Hence the stock will be shipped from TN and they themselves weren't sure when, although they were quite eager to confirm my order with payment. The installation and consumable charges were also unreasonably high. Dealer was showing a take it or leave it attitude when asked about the high charges. Some other dealers quoted June end when asked about the availability of W6. I was attracted to the W6 series for the high ISEER rating & 1.25 tonnage, but when compared to the Daikin JTKJ35 series which is rated at 1 ton with a similar ISEER, the cooling capacity seems to be a wee bit less for the Mitsubishi. Despite all these, I was pretty sure that it'll stay reliable and tried to get it from their dealer. But it just didn't work out and even the company isn't showing commitment to the market. They are operating pretty much like how Nissan India operated in the past with another company (Hover Automotive) as a wholesale dealer. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries operates similarly through a wholesale dealer named IAPL. There's a clear lack of professionalism in all their services, be it their website, call centre etc. Had to drop it finally and got a Hitachi.
Old 1st June 2019, 01:06   #6291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If it is just unrolling the tube, extra labor is a bit absurd, but if the run and bends are at all tricky it might be fair
Three meters is included in the 1500 rs and the number of bends will not change for five meters. Basically I am lowering the ODU to 5 feet off the backyard for ease of maintenance, instead of my terrace that is not easily accessible. The 250 per extra meter is absurd but they say it is company prescribed for the installer company to make money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
I was trying to get the SRK13YVS-W6 from one of their dealers in Kerala, but the experience was pretty bad.
i was trying for the 1T myself due to its super high ISEER numbers but it is not available yet even in Chennai. I called multiple dealers and even other cities to enquire. They seem to be setting up only this year in all earnestness and there are two new dealerships close to my house. The one from where I purchased seem to be amateurs in selling but were friendly and shared information freely with me. I must have engaged with them about 10 times over the past month while I was waiting for the inverter models and making up my mind.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:51   #6292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I thought condensation water from ACs are very clean, I even told my wife it will be very good for her flowers. How bad is it?
Yes. It is distilled water. But what you need for rusting is the presence of moisture/water regardless of their purity. If you have acidic water, it would increase the rate of rust forming.
This is the reason why even car manufacturers advise you not to wash the car every day or many times in a week. The last owners meet I attended in Concorde, they kept repeating this.

Quote:
No, Prowler: my Swift fell apart without any help from an AC machine! It's a good few years ago now, but I don't think it was even parked under an AC. At this house, certainly not.

Essentially, it is distilled water, right? I would not expect that to be harmful to anything, because it is just water without whatever mineral/etc was previously dissolved in it. But it is only going to be as clean as the inside of the AC machine where it condenses and runs off and over the surfaces.
I thought it was your car Thad. It must have been some one else's car. Looks like my memory is failing.
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:10   #6293
Senior - BHPian

I don't think any of us in this forum has a portable AC, so I thought I'd put a good word out for our BlueStar unit. This unit has given us good performance for three summers. The remote looks upmarket, and controls everything. It's expensive now at 30-35K, but does a good job.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_7108.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2019, 10:12   #6294
Team-BHP Support

Our 9 year old Samsung 1.5T window AC is giving us trouble and we need to replace it asap.

Requirement - 1.5 T, Window, 5 Start rated, non-R22 gas, quiet.

I would have preferred Hitachi, but all of the 5 star rated 1.5 tonners are R22. I can pick up a Voltas but I am sure it will be a noisy unit.

Any other options ?

PS: Split is not an option. Budget is not really a constraint.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:19   #6295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Our 9 year old Samsung 1.5T window AC is giving us trouble and we need to replace it asap.

Requirement - 1.5 T, Window, 5 Start rated, non-R22 gas, quiet.

I would have preferred Hitachi, but all of the 5 star rated 1.5 tonners are R22. I can pick up a Voltas but I am sure it will be a noisy unit.

Any other options ?

PS: Split is not an option. Budget is not really a constraint.
I would recommend going for a Panasonic
We have the below in our house:

Hitachi (Inverter) 2 T Hot&Cold Split (New)
Hitachi 2T Split (Old)
Hitachi Window AC 1.2T (very old model)
Electrolux 1.5 Split
Daikin 1.8T Split 3 Star
LG 1.5 T Split (Hot and Cold)
Panasonic 2T Split

Out of all these I find the Panasonic best in cooling and effectiveness. You can get good Panasonic Window ACs (they were called National a long time back and used to make excellent ACs)
You should be able to get 5 star rated one at decent prices compared to other brands like Hitachi or General.

Somehow found Hitachi's new inverter Models lacking in cooling. My Old Hitachi 2 T was far better in cooling the same room compared to the new Hitachi 2T INverter that we got installed. We changed it as we wanted a Hot& Cold AC in that room.

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd June 2019 at 12:25.
Old 5th June 2019, 10:54   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Aroy,

I live close to a cement factory and the general atmosphere here is very dusty which requires frequent cleaning.

If i get the above done, I suppose the problem should be resolved. Will get it done and update.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Can someone point me to a post which shows the DIY steps to clean the ODU ?
I clean my ODU once in two to five days depending on the dust accumulation. It is pretty simple if you do it regularly.

. Use a garden hose if available, else a bucket and mug will do.
. Switch the AC off and take the power plug out.
. Wash the Condenser usually they are on two sides) thoroughly.

If you wash ODU regularly then there is no need to take the cover off. In case you have a very dirty ODU, then
. Open all the screws holding the cover.
. Take it off.
. Cover the box containing the PCB. It is generally sealed, but covering it with a plastic bag is extra safety.
. Wash the fan which normally is dirty,
. Clean the Condenser by initially pouring the water from the top, and then from sides.
. Dry the fan and the inside of the body.
. Put the cover on and tighten all the screw.
. Let it dry for at least half an hour.

Search the net there is a pictorial guide for Daikin detailing every thing.

Last edited by Aroy : 5th June 2019 at 10:56.
Old 5th June 2019, 12:06   #6297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I clean my ODU once in two to five days depending on the dust accumulation. It is pretty simple if you do it regularly.
Thanks Aroy.
Found this while watching the video you suggested. Impressed by how meticulous the guy is in cleaning the IDU.
Old 5th June 2019, 16:05   #6298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Thanks Aroy.
Found this while watching the video you suggested. Impressed by how meticulous the guy is in cleaning the IDU.
Very Japanese! (I didn't listen but I recognise the script)

And very wonderful. I would give a very respectful Japanese bow to anyone who serviced my AC like this. I think he making the unit as good as new.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:54   #6299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very Japanese! (I didn't listen but I recognise the script)

And very wonderful. I would give a very respectful Japanese bow to anyone who serviced my AC like this. I think he making the unit as good as new.
Well my LG ODU was washed as per the Video. For IDU they did not use the pressure washer , but there are others who have it. My Daikin guy has it, so has Urbanclap.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_1598.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_1600.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_1603.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_1606.jpg
Old 6th June 2019, 15:52   #6300
Senior - BHPian

Also keep in mind that the distilled water that comes out of the AC is a better solvent than tap water so that means it can cause a bit more damage directly or by dissolving more stuff on the way out which can also damage your car paint

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks