Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2019, 13:27   #6256
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Meltdown, really? Do you have a picture of these metal jackets? I'm really curious. Even Google isn't of much help here.

I have had a few burnt sockets and plugs. Fortunately by the time the wires started smoking, I was around to stop. This happened even with my earlier 3 KVA UPS. Then I replaced every 15 A sockets with full metal jackets.

I am showing images sourced from the internet as I can't locate my own images.

The second image shows the metal wall socket.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-burntplugandsocket.jpg

Name:  untitled500x500.png
Views: 3437
Size:  103.8 KB

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2019 at 18:12. Reason: Post Compacted
Old 27th May 2019, 14:13   #6257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meltdown, really? Do you have a picture of these metal jackets? I'm really curious. Even Google isn't of much help here.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-51izwyertl._sl1000_.jpg

I used this a lot in past
Old 27th May 2019, 14:17   #6258
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Ah, this is what they use abroad, but in India, they take a lot of liberties. Do you suggest using this for all geysers (as well) right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I am showing images sourced from the internet as I can't locate my own images.
Old 27th May 2019, 15:03   #6259
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Ah, this is what they use abroad, but in India, they take a lot of liberties. Do you suggest using this for all geysers (as well) right?

There is a caveat here. The metal body needs to be securely grounded for this so that it doesn't electrocute the user in a bathroom with wet fingers. So use this to connect the water heater but use a standard 15 A switch at the user level to control the heater.

My intention here is not to scare any one. I am just pointing to the Murphy's Law:(simplified version) - If anything can go wrong, sooner or later it will go wrong.

Don't smoke from your bed - for the ashes falling down may be your own.
Old 27th May 2019, 15:46   #6260
BHPian

The AC fuse at home started tripping yesterday. I called my electrician who says the wiring, plug and main fuses are all intact. He has asked me to get the AC unit checked. What all are the possibilities I need to keep in mind when the technician turns up??

I have a 1.5T Blue Star window AC unit.
Old 28th May 2019, 00:16   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The AC fuse at home started tripping yesterday.
The tripping is usually due to a failed or leaked capacitor in the outdoor unit. Has happened to me twice on two different acs over the past 10 years or so. The trip was happening when the compressor was starting on both occasions.
Old 28th May 2019, 02:35   #6262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I don't think so. Thing is that the pug/socket combo being spoken of is rated at 20 (?) amp --- higher than the small or large 3-pin stuff in the rest of the house. In my relatively limited experience, these things are routinely used for AC units in India. It's not as if they are expensive even.

I hate them! They are sooo fiddly to wire up. And it just doesn't make sense to me that these plugs for highish-current devices should be made out of metal.

But they seem to be the thing for the job.
Old 28th May 2019, 09:33   #6263
BANNED

@ARoy; there are some plugs with solid brass pins where there is no problem. Also, Northwest has introduced a 25A plug (same matrix as 15A but longer pins). I think the main issue is the quality of pins in the plug.
Old 28th May 2019, 09:42   #6264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, I don't think so. Thing is that the pug/socket combo being spoken of is rated at 20 (?) amp --- higher than the small or large 3-pin stuff in the rest of the house. In my relatively limited experience, these things are routinely used for AC units in India. It's not as if they are expensive even.

I hate them! They are sooo fiddly to wire up. And it just doesn't make sense to me that these plugs for highish-current devices should be made out of metal.
The metal plug/socket is usually rated at 30 A. They have adequate space between terminals.

With conventional plu/socket - the heat builds up when there is poor connection (contact surface) between the plug and the socket. When it heats up the insulation in the wire melts and the plastic socket starts breaking down starting a chain of events.

With metal plug/socket - it doesn't happen because it is generously rated and have more brass/copper contact surface. The metal enclosure also acts as a heat sink in limited capacity.
Old 28th May 2019, 10:45   #6265
BHPian

Anyone knows of solar AC supplier or manufacturers? What would be the approximate cost for 1 tonne capacity?
Old 28th May 2019, 11:18   #6266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The metal plug/socket is usually rated at 30 A. They have adequate space between terminals.

With conventional plu/socket - the heat builds up when there is poor connection (contact surface) between the plug and the socket. When it heats up the insulation in the wire melts and the plastic socket starts breaking down starting a chain of events.

With metal plug/socket - it doesn't happen because it is generously rated and have more brass/copper contact surface. The metal enclosure also acts as a heat sink in limited capacity.
Instead of plastic, these sockets have porcelain which is another factor against burning.
Old 28th May 2019, 12:31   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Instead of plastic, these sockets have porcelain which is another factor against burning.
Yes Sir. I was looking to thank you but found that there is no Thanks button in this thread.
Old 28th May 2019, 15:27   #6268
Senior - BHPian

I have a problem. I installed a Godrej 1.5 ton 3-star inverter AC in my office about 3 months ago. Due some complaints from shops below us, I realised that my AC's water output is a lot more than normal. The water used to drip in front of these shops the entire day. I started collecting the water in a bucket and found that one and half bucket gets filled from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm.

I complained to the service center and they say its normal output for AC's with R-410-A gas. Is it normal? If it indeed is normal, then what do I do with the water. Piping it away is not an option. At present I'm dumping the water twice a day.

Last edited by samaspire : 28th May 2019 at 15:35.
Old 28th May 2019, 16:04   #6269
Distinguished - BHPian

Drying the air is a normal function of AC machines. I don't see what the gas has to do with that

Anything abnormal in your IDU? Like ice forming or dirty fins?
Old 28th May 2019, 16:09   #6270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I have a problem. I installed a Godrej 1.5 ton 3-star inverter AC in my office about 3 months ago. Due some complaints from shops below us, I realised that my AC's water output is a lot more than normal. The water used to drip in front of these shops the entire day. I started collecting the water in a bucket and found that one and half bucket gets filled from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm.

I complained to the service center and they say its normal output for AC's with R-410-A gas. Is it normal? If it indeed is normal, then what do I do with the water. Piping it away is not an option. At present I'm dumping the water twice a day.
It is very normal for any AC to expel this much water .
The only option is to have a proper piping to take the water down .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks