Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2022, 11:30   #7006
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I also use manual mode only. In our case the blower is always blowing air up and hits the ceiling fan. The result is that the room cools down uniformly without any chilled air coming down. Yes it is best to keep the vertical Louvre pointed up and horizontal Louvre sweeping the room.

One thing to note is that till the room cools down to the set temperature you feel hot, so we tend to decrease the temperature, but after a few hours when the set temperature is achieved you feel cold. The work around is to temperature to low (18-22 degrees) for an hour or so, and then set it back to a comfortable one for the rest of the night.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 18:42   #7007
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just thought I'd update this thread with the solution, in case anyone else faces the problem. Below points are after speaking with 2 Mitsubishi technicians, an independent AC technician and an AC expert:
Manual mode (Cool) may work well for most of times except in one condition - Low set-point than ambient combined with low air flow. During winters, while using manual mode, we will tend to reduce the fan speed to maintain constant temperature. This will result in icing in the evaporator coil. So I set up the AC in Auto mode or Dry mode (only humidity removal) for comfortable sleep.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th February 2022 at 17:29. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 07:40   #7008
BHPian

Daikin vs Bluestar, which one is better in terms of quality of product and services.
My requirement is for 4 ACs, is it better to go with one brand or have a mix and match.
Old 28th February 2022, 23:21   #7009
Senior - BHPian

I have 4 Daikin Inverter 5 Star air conditioners. The Unit looks sturdy, but the service in my town is pathetic. They didn't turn up for the quarterly service even during the warranty period. Moreover, one of the out door units was fixed on the balcony wall (for the sake of easy installation, without asking me because I was not around) and was dangling because only 3 out of 4 bolts were secured (one bolt didn't match the slot). After lot of escalations and a payment of 2.5K, I got this outdoor unit moved to an adjacent sun shade. Daikin just outsources service to some agencies, and doesn't care a dime. My next purchase will probably be a different brand.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 28th February 2022 at 23:24.
jinojohnt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 17:29   #7010
Senior - BHPian

Folks the last AC I bought was a Daikin JTKJ 1.5 ton unit which has been serving us excellently since it was bought. Now there is a requirement for another AC to be installed in our apartment but in a much smaller room. I was thinking of going for another Daikin JTKJ series unit in 1 ton form and it seems to be available in the market for around 40-45k which seems to be the norm for a good energy efficient AC from any big name brand. However today I stumbled upon an Onida IR125ICY1 1 ton AC for 29k with not as good specs on the power savings guide sticker as the Daikin JTKJ unit, but better specs on the power savings sticker than many other big name brands selling 5 star inverter air conditioners in the 40-45k range. Does anyone have any long-term experience with Onida ACs? Also how relevant are the numbers provided on the power savings sticker and does this particular model actually represent an excellent price to performance ratio or is that something my noob brain is assuming?

The info on the power savings guide sticker on the particular Onida in question:
ISEER - 5.37
Electricity consumption - 508.36 units/year

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th March 2022 at 17:34.
Old 19th March 2022, 08:08   #7011
BHPian

Stale/Wet smell

Urban guys deep cleaned my split ac two days back and I left the filter panel open for a few hours for the internals to dry and switched on the fan for an hour or two.

When I switch on the AC and enter the room after 10..15 min, I get a damp/wet smell. Is this the moisture from the cleaning exercise or something else? What do I need to do to get rid of this smell?
Old 21st March 2022, 16:51   #7012
Senior - BHPian

I want to setup an AC for my man's cave on the top most floor with sun blazing all day(Costal area) resembles a microwave. The dimensions of the room is L 14ft x W 9ft x H 9.5ft

Window - I've a provision for it and assuming it to be less on maintenance and best chilling.
Split - Apart from esthetics purpose any other advantages?

Somehow, against "inverter" technology as "fixed" does a better job in terms of cooling.

a) Should I go for 2T or 1.5T?
b) Window vs Split?
c) O'General vs Mitsubishi Heavy Duty?

Please advise which offers best cooling/chilling.
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:25   #7013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I want to setup an AC for my man's cave on the top most floor with sun blazing all day(Costal area) resembles a microwave. The dimensions of the room is L 14ft x W 9ft x H 9.5ft

Window - I've a provision for it and assuming it to be less on maintenance and best chilling.
Split - Apart from esthetics purpose any other advantages?

Somehow, against "inverter" technology as "fixed" does a better job in terms of cooling.

a) Should I go for 2T or 1.5T?
b) Window vs Split?
c) O'General vs Mitsubishi Heavy Duty?

Please advise which offers best cooling/chilling.
1. 1.5T if the external temperature is around 35 degrees, else 2T.
2. Splits are more efficient as the heat exchangers (bot IDU and ODU) have larger areas.
3. The best choice is that which has excellent service in your area. I do not thing that either of the brands you are considering have extensive service network (including spares inventory).

I am sold on "Inverter technology). The power consumption is much lower, while initial cooling much faster. I now have replaced my Hitachi AC's with LG inverters (3 x Split, 1 x window). What I liked about LG is their extended warranty < 10K for 1+4 years with everything included : Parts, Labour, 2 free services a year (+ more if you really need it). The others are now catching up.

That said, if power bills are of less consideration, get a split AC assembled by a local shop. You can get them without any electronics, purely electro-mechanical device that will last as long as the compressor ~ about 15 years or more.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:15   #7014
BHPian

I have a Voltas 1.5T split AC (Non-Inverter) in which the cooling has reduced to 10% what it used to be.
I have called a local technician (not from Voltas) and he has diagnosed it as gas issue over phone. He will be coming over tomorrow.

How much are the ballpark charges of gas re-filling I should keep in mind so that the technician doesn't con me. It uses R-22 gas.

If the gas is low, then does it mean that there is a leakage? Or the gas can get lowered without any leakage whatsoever?
Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:51   #7015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. 1.5T if the external temperature is around 35 degrees, else 2T.
2. Splits are more efficient as the heat exchangers (bot IDU and ODU) have larger areas.
3. The best choice is that which has excellent service in your area. I do not thing that either of the brands you are considering have extensive service network (including spares inventory).
In summers the temperatures reaches up to 42 degrees, hence planning for 2T.

I have a very good dealer who deals with General, MHI, Dakin & Voltas. He offers good service.
He promised me that he can get O'General 2T Window unit for 43K.
Are these units are still reliable like it use to be?

MHI 1.9T Inverter costs 56K + Copper wire 850/- per meter + Installation charge 1500/- + Stabilizer 3600/-
Old 22nd March 2022, 16:30   #7016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi everyone.

We are looking for a 2 ton split AC for wife's shop. The prices in the shops as well as online are ₹ 45,000 and above. But I see one model of Whirlpool (online) at ₹ 39,000 including installation and piping. Even for online sale, this sounds very lucrative. Except this one offer, all online prices are to the tune of ₹ 45,000 and higher.

I request the experts to advise. Shall the ac be bought online? Are there any potential pitfalls in online ac purchase? How do we know of they are selling very old stock or a piece with minor damage?

Note: I forgot to mention that the price of ₹ 39,000 includes not only the installation but also the voltage stabilizer (which is in-built).
For a shop, it is better to go with 2 split units(1 or 1.5 ton), shop doors are opened again and again, one 2 ton unit will be under a lot of stress and will consume large amounts of electricity.

2 units will handle the load better.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 17:01   #7017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
For a shop, it is better to go with 2 split units(1 or 1.5 ton), shop doors are opened again and again, one 2 ton unit will be under a lot of stress and will consume large amounts of electricity.

2 units will handle the load better.
Thank you, I appreciate your advice.

In this case, the interior arrangement of goods' racks, displays and other furniture is not permitting two split units. Also, this is a rented shop and there are issues between the landlord and the society. Hence the society is apprehensive if we route the pipes / wires (or mount the outdoor unit) on certain walls.

So as of now, we are mounting the outdoor unit behind (and above) the signboard, leaving enough space on all four sides of it. And we have mounted one 2 ton inverter unit indoor on a wall with 15 feet pipe length between the indoor and the outdoor unit.

When the conditions permit, we will follow your advice. Thanks once again.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:10   #7018
BHPian

For those who are using Mitsubishi Electric AC, you already know how bad their remote control units are. In my case, it does not even have a backlight to operate in the dark. So, I found one mobile app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_IN&gl=US, with simple UI and easy to use, especially when using the timer functionality.
So, I just thought of sharing this information here. Kindly ignore this if you are already aware of this/these mobile app/s.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:23   #7019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
For those who are using Mitsubishi Electric AC, you already know how bad their remote control units are. In my case, it does not even have a backlight to operate in the dark. So, I found one mobile app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_IN&gl=US, with simple UI and easy to use, especially when using the timer functionality.
So, I just thought of sharing this information here. Kindly ignore this if you are already aware of this/these mobile app/s.
Well, you do need an infrared sensor on your phone for this to work right? I have no idea about the latest smartphones on the market (mine is a few years old) but the last time I checked I don't think I saw many phones equipped with this sensor.

Edit: but yeah it's nice that apps like this exist.
Old 22nd March 2022, 18:26   #7020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Well, you do need an infrared sensor on your phone for this to work right? I have no idea about the latest smartphones on the market (mine is a few years old) but the last time I checked I don't think I saw many phones equipped with this sensor.

Edit: but yeah it's nice that apps like this exist.
Yes, you are correct. The phone needs to have the IR sensor. I thought most of the mobile phones (10k+ range?) comes with this sensor. At home, we have MiA3 and Redmi Note 9 which has this sensor. But Nokia 3.2 does not have this sensor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks