Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2021, 22:24   #6991
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Any recommendation for a multi split ac,vrv system.

Basically i want one outdoor unit for four indoor units.
Old 11th December 2021, 14:50   #6992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post

These units are sold by "commercial" division of the manufacturer. The units ar at least twice if not thrice the price of domestic split units, with corresponding higher AMC.

If you are fine with the price, then most major brands have them - Daikin, LG, Mitsubishi, Hitachi etc.

It is best to contact each one and get quotation for :

1. Basic ODU with 4 IDU.
2. Piping cost.
3. Controller cost.
4. Labour.
5. AMC. It should be ideally comprehensive all inclusive of parts and labour.
6. Delivery and installation time lines.

Once you get these quotations you can decide on the manufacturer/vendor.

You can also do a physical survey of small commercial establishments and get a feed back of both the performance and service aspects.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 19:13   #6993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post

The home / office air-conditioner thread-vrf.jpg

i was also evaluating such a unit for my new house. Mitsubishi and Hitachi guys came. But it seems that it is cost effective only for large commercial establishments. At any given time, maximum two units in our house would possibly be used and they themselves said that it would not be the ideal choice- though they maintain that the operating costs if fully utilised would be lower than that of conventional splits.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 11:05   #6994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
These units are sold by "commercial" division of the manufacturer.

If you are fine with the price, then most major brands have them - Daikin, LG, Mitsubishi, Hitachi etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post

i was also evaluating such a unit for my new house. Mitsubishi and Hitachi guys came.
Thanks for your inputs.
Checked with Daikin today.They seem to have a base model for 4 indoors. Amount quoted is nearly 4 lakhs with piping and installation.
My requirement is purely for aesthetics or else it doesnt make sense. The apartment has an
AC ledge only at the balcony and the lines have to be drawn from there. The balcony looks totally cluttered with the ac units. Few, i see, have installed the LG mutli split option but that seems to be discontinued now.

The mess:
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-screenshot_202112121101343.jpg  

Old 18th December 2021, 01:37   #6995
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone.

We are looking for a 2 ton split AC for wife's shop. The prices in the shops as well as online are ₹ 45,000 and above. But I see one model of Whirlpool (online) at ₹ 39,000 including installation and piping. Even for online sale, this sounds very lucrative. Except this one offer, all online prices are to the tune of ₹ 45,000 and higher.

I request the experts to advise. Shall the ac be bought online? Are there any potential pitfalls in online ac purchase? How do we know of they are selling very old stock or a piece with minor damage?

Note: I forgot to mention that the price of ₹ 39,000 includes not only the installation but also the voltage stabilizer (which is in-built).

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 18th December 2021 at 01:41.
Old 19th December 2021, 11:19   #6996
BHPian

Avoid Whirpool ACs. They have a poor performance record.
MBond007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 12:07   #6997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi everyone.

We are looking for a 2 ton split AC for wife's shop. The prices in the shops as well as online are ₹ 45,000 and above. But I see one model of Whirlpool (online) at ₹ 39,000 including installation and piping. Even for online sale, this sounds very lucrative. Except this one offer, all online prices are to the tune of ₹ 45,000 and higher.

I request the experts to advise. Shall the ac be bought online? Are there any potential pitfalls in online ac purchase? How do we know of they are selling very old stock or a piece with minor damage?

Note: I forgot to mention that the price of ₹ 39,000 includes not only the installation but also the voltage stabilizer (which is in-built).
Go for modern 5 star inverter AC. They have the following in their favour :

1. Stabilizer free.
2. Most have 5 years extended warranty.
3. Lower power consumption.

As some one said, avoid low cost AC. They are generally old and in many cases substandard.

Regarding Shop or online it depends on the policy of the manufacturer. I have bought LG from both the sources and every time the installation and warranty is by LG. Just beware of shop/on-line trying to sell their own installation or warranty, just avoid it.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 04:35   #6998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Shall the ac be bought online? Are there any potential pitfalls in online ac purchase? How do we know of they are selling very old stock or a piece with minor damage?
I'd avoid online. For something like an air conditioner that may need attention from time to time, its better to have someone local to attend for sales and service. While online saves you some money, dealers don't necessarily prioritize your case cause the business was not through them. You'll be at the mercy of the e-commerce vendor and and I'm not entirely sure how good post sales support works when you buy online.

You're not going to know the age of the unit until it arrives. This applies for online as well as brick and mortar stores. With the latter you ask the dealer what to expect in terms of age of the unit. That said, AC's from reputed manufacturers like LG, Blue Star, etc, don't necessarily sit on the shelves for too long. We are hot country for most parts of the year and AC's move fast.

I'd add Mitsubishi Inverter units to the list. Expensive and worth it for the long run. They make solid machines. Just ensure there is someone local to you and not a dealer in another city.

Don't go anywhere near a Whirlpool. They are fine for refrigerators, not aircons.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:10   #6999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I'd avoid online. For something like an air conditioner that may need attention from time to time, its better to have someone local to attend for sales and service. While online saves you some money, dealers don't necessarily prioritize your case cause the business was not through them. You'll be at the mercy of the e-commerce vendor and and I'm not entirely sure how good post sales support works when you buy online.

You're not going to know the age of the unit until it arrives. This applies for online as well as brick and mortar stores. With the latter you ask the dealer what to expect in terms of age of the unit. That said, AC's from reputed manufacturers like LG, Blue Star, etc, don't necessarily sit on the shelves for too long. We are hot country for most parts of the year and AC's move fast.

I'd add Mitsubishi Inverter units to the list. Expensive and worth it for the long run. They make solid machines. Just ensure there is someone local to you and not a dealer in another city.

Don't go anywhere near a Whirlpool. They are fine for refrigerators, not aircons.
Thanks for the response.

My post is almost a month old. During this month, the priorities changed and we instead bought a dishwasher for our house, since the maid was taking leaves too often.

The AC will be required for the wife's garment shop. We plan to purchase it by the end of the next month. I too plan to shop physically in this case. But online purchase shall not matter for service. Whether we buy from a shop or online, the responsibility of the dealer ends once the piece is delivered. Installation, warranty and service is taken care directly by the company.

I agree with your concern about the age of the unit bought online. This is one reason I have always avoided buying engine oil or tyres online.

Fellow BHPian from Pune, Rahul Rao, is in the business of air conditioning. I am planning to buy from him. After hearing my application, he has advised me to go for 2 ton Toshiba AC but the one without inverter. Electronic inverter cards in the AC units don't last long most of the times and they are expensive to replace, costing around ₹ 12,000 to 15000. If the card fails in 2 years, it wipes away your energy savings besides causing inconvenience to the customers in the shop for a few days. One of my neighbours too scrapped one AC unit because of inverter problems.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 21st January 2022 at 09:17.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:00   #7000
Distinguished - BHPian

Having been stung by a terrible experience with a Sharp (no longer in the market) inverter AC, I was dubious, but have had a Mitsubishi Electricals inverter AC (2.2 ton) for at least a couple of years now with no problem at all.

We bought from a local company, and use them for maintenance/service too. Costs quite a lot, but reliable. We now have three Mitsubishi machines from them.

The only bad experience was a wining noise coming from the 2.2-ton unit. This happened after a pressure-wash service, and they diagnosed and accepted to replace the fan motor. That was great, but it had to be imported and took some time. But... Lockdowns at that time caused more delay than sourcing the part!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:38   #7001
BHPian

Hello Team Bhp

Need to buy 2 AC 1.5 Ton & 2.2 Ton. Have zeroed on Daikin AC where i am able to get some great deals
1.5 Ton 5 Star - Rs 38K
2.2 Ton 3 Star - Rs 49K

People using Daikin - Please share feedback so that i pick the right AC

Thanks in advance
Old 9th February 2022, 20:13   #7002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Hello Team Bhp

Need to buy 2 AC 1.5 Ton & 2.2 Ton. Have zeroed on Daikin AC where i am able to get some great deals
1.5 Ton 5 Star - Rs 38K
2.2 Ton 3 Star - Rs 49K

People using Daikin - Please share feedback so that i pick the right AC

Thanks in advance
I have Daikin split A/cs (4) as well as Cassette A/cs. (2) The split a/cs have been trouble free since installation (10 years or so) whereas the cassette had numerous problems including pump, PCB and other minor stuff. Trained mechanics for the cassette is also an issue here in Ahmedabad.

Last edited by earthian : 9th February 2022 at 20:15.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:56   #7003
BHPian

Has anyone used urban clap AC cleaning services? Are they any good? Wanted to ask do they clean the external unit too? I have a LG inverter split AC and wanted to get it cleaned before summer starts .
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:58   #7004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Has anyone used urban clap AC cleaning services? Are they any good? Wanted to ask do they clean the external unit too? I have a LG inverter split AC and wanted to get it cleaned before summer starts .
I find that ;at least in Delhi; LG authorised service is very good. We get our LG AC's "wet cleaned" at least once a year.

Get a quotes from both and then decide.
Old 24th February 2022, 09:00   #7005
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am very sensitive to room temperature and a big variance jolts me out of my sleep. I set the temperature at 24 in auto mode while sleeping last night. It cooled the room perfect and I was soon catching zzz's. But at 6 in the morning, I woke up sweating. The room was warm and because I was under a blanket, I was HOT!
Just thought I'd update this thread with the solution, in case anyone else faces the problem. Below points are after speaking with 2 Mitsubishi technicians, an independent AC technician and an AC expert:

- Main reason for the air-con stopping cooling was because I'd set it to 23 or 24, and the outside temperature at night would drop below that level.

- The "auto" modes of Indian ACs are very conservatively tuned for economy (we are a fuel-efficiency obsessed economy). They will cut the compressor off at the slightest chance, due to power bill savings, longer life etc. BHPians have highlighted other problems with "Auto" mode on the previous page, including how it raises the temperature at night which I too faced. Even if I kept the AC on 21 or 22 in "auto" mode, it still made the room too warm at night.

- What I wanted was consistent cooling all through the night. Solution = move to "manual" mode and avoid "auto". I set the temperature to 22 or 23, put the fan blower speed on level 3 (1 & 2 were too slow for the size of the room) and put the fan direction straight up (i.e. not pointing at me downward else it gets too cold).

- For some reason, the Mitsubishi guys said to keep the fan swinging on, whether vertical or horizontal. I kept the horizontal swing on.

Got what I wanted. Consistent cooling all through the night and till I wake up at 6ish. Been using it this way since a couple of weeks and there has been no interruption in the cooling at night.

Settings that worked:
The home / office air-conditioner thread-20220223-06.46.14.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2022 at 09:46.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks