Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 14:07   #6076
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
Any recommendations on brand / rating?
Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) is an electronic component. They are inexpensive and you can rig them across your mains socket. Just make sure that the mains socket is protected by a MCB.

I reproduce the data for a typical MOV 275V/20A device:
  • Varistor Type: Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV)
  • Peak Surge Current @ 8/20µs: 6.5kA
  • Varistor Case: Disc 20mm
  • Clamping Voltage Vc Max: 710V
  • Voltage Rating V DC: 350V
  • Voltage Rating V AC: 275V
  • Operating Temperature Min: -40°C
  • Operating Temperature Max: 85°C
  • Operating Temperature Range: -40°C to +85°C
What that means basically is it will 'short' the supply if the input voltage exceeds 275 V and the peak surge current it can pass is 6.5 kA. This MOV will protect your connected device against transients and surges - including lightening induced voltage spikes.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd April 2019 at 09:38. Reason: Line spacing
Old 27th January 2019, 15:14   #6077
BHPian

Replacing my 10 yr old LG-Split, I got an excellent deal at Croma on Voltas 1.5T inverter, 3 star AC with 5 yrs comprehensive warranty and which includes gas refill in case of discharge and 10 yrs on compressor. Comes with R410a gas.

- MRP: 56990
- Final price after discount, cashback etc: 31450.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a trouble free experience.

Mod Note: Request to please avoid SMS like language and formatting.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th February 2019 at 14:54. Reason: Post Formatted; correcting MRP
Old 29th January 2019, 01:15   #6078
BHPian

Does anyone measure the humidity levels in your bedrooms or air conditioned spaces? I just picked up a cheap hygrometer and am wondering what should be the desired humidity level in a bedroom in Chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1548704733421.jpg  

Old 29th January 2019, 09:56   #6079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Does anyone measure the humidity levels in your bedrooms or air conditioned spaces? I just picked up a cheap hygrometer and am wondering what should be the desired humidity level in a bedroom in Chennai.
I have been using many hygrometers in our offices and home for nearly 15 years. In coastal area like Madras, the humidity varies from 40 to 90 depending upon the season. In summer it is around 40 to 70 and during monsoon it goes up to 90.

Once the AC starts running, the humidity level drops down to 50.Another factor that affects humidity is the number of human occupants. In a closed environment, the water vapor emitted by humans affect the overall humidity of the room.

I use a hygrometer even in the car. When you travel to hills, the humidity comes down to 30 % as the atmosphere is dry.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd April 2019 at 09:38. Reason: Line spacing
Old 29th January 2019, 10:07   #6080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Once the AC starts running, the humidity level drops down to 50.
Thank you for the response. What counter actions do you take to increase comfort or humidity? I am considering using a humidifier but not sure if that is the right solution here.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:21   #6081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thank you for the response. What counter actions do you take to increase comfort or humidity? I am considering using a humidifier but not sure if that is the right solution here.
Comfort factor with humidity is completely subjective. I feel comfortable in a dry atmosphere as we tend to sweat little. But my partner detests bone dry atmosphere. So I use a Feng-shui water fountain in the office when she is there. I turn the pump off when I am alone.

You can use Indoor water plants or small water fountains to increase humidity. I noticed that these little things increase humidity by about 10-15 % enough for people who are not comfortable in dry atmosphere.

Computers and electronics are 'happy' in less humid areas. Damp humid atmosphere coupled with dust causes issues. Pests and insects like humidity. (all observed or anecdotal)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd April 2019 at 09:39. Reason: Line spacing
Old 29th January 2019, 10:50   #6082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You can use Indoor water plants or small water fountains to increase humidity. I noticed that these little things increase humidity by about 10-15 % enough for people who are not comfortable in dry atmosphere.
Thanks will move our living room small water fountain to the bedroom for a few nights. The plants are a good idea as well. I have ordered humidifiers from xiaomi but was concerned about the TV and other electronics in the bedroom. I get nose bleeds, skin flaking etc when I travel abroad, where the weather is dry and/or cold. I guess I am more comfortable with higher levels of humidity.
Old 4th February 2019, 11:01   #6083
Senior - BHPian

I want to install an AC in my office. I need to know how what ton capacity do I need to install. I will be going for an Inverter AC.

Office is a rectangular room with no partitions.

Room Dimensions L=196" W=136" H=128"
Furniture:
4 Plywood Computer Tables : 60"x24"x30"
1 Big Plywood Cupboard : L=60" W=24" H=90"
4 Office Chairs
3 no. 2 seater benches

The office has 3 PCs that will be working from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
Plus 1 laptop that will be used for about 3-4 hours.
Max no. of people working in the office = 4

The entry to the office is on the North wall, the wooden door and wooden partition of which has glass from the top down up to 57". Direct sunlight falls into the office only from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm. to other wall has windows.

PS: Its on the 1st floor of a 4 storied building, and is normally cool other than in the summers. But the main issue is dust - a lot of dust. i lose atleast 1 computer part every year, either the motherboard, HDD, SMPS. Most recent was my UPS - the motherboard was caked in 2 mm dust when opened up.

Last edited by samaspire : 4th February 2019 at 11:23.
Old 4th February 2019, 14:35   #6084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I want to install an AC in my office. I need to know how what ton capacity do I need to install. I will be going for an Inverter AC.

Office is a rectangular room with no partitions.

So approx dimension of the room is 16x11x11 feet ~ 180sft/2000cft.

Considering the computers people in the room, 2 units of 1T placed at 1/3rd of the distance and diagonally opposite on the 16 feet wall should be sufficient to take care of the cooling and dust filtering job.

Ensure that you get a AC with good filtration and clean the filters every week or 10 days.

Also since you said that you live in a dusty area, place the outdoor units in such a place that it is possible for someone to reach them and clean them with a hose pipe. When the coils in the outdoor units get clogged the efficiency drops and will result in poor cooling. If i remember correctly, the outdoor unit can be placed up-to 10 feet below the indoor unit. We have a similar situation in our home and i have relocated the outdoor unit to lower position which is easily accessible for cleaning from the ground floor using a ladder.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 08:11. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 4th February 2019, 17:50   #6085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ensure that you get a AC with good filtration and clean the filters every week or 10 days.
And do the same for the PCs! You will still get dust in them, just you adding another couple of sucking machines to compete with them!

It might be cheaper to clean out your PCs on a weekly basis.
Old 6th February 2019, 03:37   #6086
Senior - BHPian

OK, after giving a run around of about 2 months to find a guy to service the sharp AC in my mom's bedroom, I finally found one. This guy comes and takes away the ODU and replaces it to a copper unit and does some other stuff. (I have no idea as I was away from home and mom just said that they did replace some stuff). After pouring in a whopping 9k about a month back to get it back into service, it is now giving different errors again. (Solid RED led on power, blinking ORANGE led on timer) This was a 1.5T model in a very large room.

My mom just wants to get rid of it. I would like to replace it with a 2T unit. As there are 4 window panes in the westerly direction shining in sun from around 12:30 till about 5PM. The room becomes really hot in the afternoon. Is it better to get two 1T units or just go for a single 2T unit? The room is really long with a separate open section (like a dressing room) before the bathroom. (The house is about 30 years old). (I would just make it one large bathroom if I were to refurbish). The estimate floor area just for this room is upwards of 175 sqft, but not close to 200. What is your take?

The sharp AC will most likely be relocated to a study room, which sparsely gets used, often converted to a bedroom when relatives camp-over.

Now, I am looking for an AC with a good service reputation that I can rely on. I am thinking along the lines of Samsung. Any other brand that I should be looking at that has got a reliable service backup?
Old 6th February 2019, 10:59   #6087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
........As there are 4 window panes in the westerly direction shining in sun from around 12:30 till about 5PM. The room becomes really hot in the afternoon. Is it better to get two 1T units or just go for a single 2T unit? ...
Since there are 4 windows west facing, 2 units of 1 ton would provide uniform and faster cooling than a single 1.5 ton unit.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 08:12. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 6th February 2019, 13:19   #6088
Distinguished - BHPian

Those of us that bought Sharp have to accept rust we made a bad decision and write off the cost

No point in pouring more money into it. I told our local mechanic, please come and take it away, I don't even want scrap value, I just want to stop being upset whenever I see it!
Old 6th February 2019, 14:45   #6089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And do the same for the PCs! You will still get dust in them, just you adding another couple of sucking machines to compete with them!

It might be cheaper to clean out your PCs on a weekly basis.
I thought an AC in the office and doors always closed would prevent dust entry. Is it not so?

Update: I have been advised by my electrician to install it on the south wall as it's the closest exit for the outdoor unit. Apparently I will save a lot on the plumbing, and I can avoid water drippage from the drain pipe.

Last edited by samaspire : 6th February 2019 at 14:47.
Old 6th February 2019, 15:07   #6090
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I thought an AC in the office and doors always closed would prevent dust entry. Is it not so?
Not sure if your have considered investing in air purifiers. If dust is becoming an issue for equipment it definitely would be affecting your health as well. Also check for air gaps/ window crevices from where outside air enters the room.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks