Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:52   #5926
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

^^^This model has an aluminium condensor instead of copper, isnt it more expensive to repair/replace if it goes bust?
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:50   #5927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
^^^This model has an aluminium condensor instead of copper, isnt it more expensive to repair/replace if it goes bust?
If it is the LG you are referring to, then with 5 years extended warranty I would not be bothered, as LG warranty is all inclusive.
Old 23rd June 2018, 14:27   #5928
BANNED

@ARoy; It is our living room all of 15x17 with the dining room attached, separated by a curtain.
Old 24th June 2018, 11:00   #5929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ARoy; It is our living room all of 15x17 with the dining room attached, separated by a curtain.
All the more reason to go in for two 3 star 1 ton units, one in living room area and one in the dining area. There is no utility in having a 5 star inverter AC, at twice the capital cost if the use is of short duration. The only use of modern Inverter AC is that most of are "Stabilizer Free" - voltage range from 160-260 for Daikin and 145V-290V for LG, which takes care of most situations.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-lg3.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-daikin1.jpg

for Hitachi
Stabilizer-free Operation to Protect from Aftereffects of Powercut
Power cuts and load shedding is commonplace in India, especially in distant towns and villages. Being a heavy electrical appliance, AC is generally most susceptible to the erratic blackouts. Power cuts can damage the AC due to voltage fluctuations. Hitachi's modern ACs are well-equipped to handle this crisis. Premium Kashikoi series comes with the stabilizer-free operation. What this means is that AC can work steadily and reliably without getting damaged due to excessive flow of electricity in case of voltage fluctuations. Also, if voltage fluctuation exceeds the preset permissible limits (130V-300V), the power supply is automatically switched off, so it does not cause any serious harm to the AC.

Last edited by Aroy : 24th June 2018 at 11:18.
Old 25th June 2018, 03:32   #5930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
At night even if I set the temperature at 26 it comes down to 24 or lower by midnight.
Are you saying that in addition to setting desired temperature, you need to set the compressor power level? Isn't an inverter supposed to do this for you?
Old 25th June 2018, 10:50   #5931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Are you saying that in addition to setting desired temperature, you need to set the compressor power level? Isn't an inverter supposed to do this for you?
Most inverters will switch the compressor off if the differential temperature is lower than the compressor can sustain. LG has chosen to give the customer an option of lowering the power to the compressor so that the AC keps working even at very low temperature differential. I would expect the software to do that automatically, but life is not perfect, nor is the software.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:37   #5932
BANNED

@ARoy; This is assuming that I have access to both rooms (outside walls). I do not, so only solution is a single unit in the living room. Incidentally the dining is 15x12. We keep the curtain closed unless we need to cool the dining area.
Old 25th June 2018, 13:55   #5933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ARoy; This is assuming that I have access to both rooms (outside walls). I do not, so only solution is a single unit in the living room. Incidentally the dining is 15x12. We keep the curtain closed unless we need to cool the dining area.
You can always put them side by side, or separated by about 10 feet. Many of my friends have done that.

As I had mentioned before having two three star AC at the current rates is cheaper than one five star one, especially if they are to be used sparingly. You also have the option to use only one at a time when the temperatures are a bit more reasonable.

With full 5 years extended warranty from LG, you also buy peace of mind. That is why I went for LG, after suffering Hitachi service (and their omissions from warranty) and Daikin (whose service is even worse). Peace of mind is really worth a lot.

Last edited by Aroy : 25th June 2018 at 13:57.
Old 25th June 2018, 17:21   #5934
BHPian

Is there a big difference between ACs produced by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Mitsubishi Electric? I have placed an order for 5 units (4 units inverter type and 1 non inverter type) for my house and the tubing layout is complete. Should be installing the machines in a months time.
I believe these machines are from Mitsubishi Electric and are imported from Thailand. Since I don't see many interactions on this forum regarding these products, would like to have a feedback from users. I have on order 4 x 1.5 TR MSY JP 18 and 1 x 2TR MS JP 24
Old 25th June 2018, 17:43   #5935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Very unfortunate.

The trouble with most aircon companies is that they do not train their technicians at regular intervals. These technicians are all sourced from third party providers. LG maybe an exception.

The first four visits I had were from third party technicians. 5th & 6th visit was from a technician from Daikin itself. Who removed and filled the gas twice. Then blamed it on a loose connection. However the AC would just not cool. And this guy wouldn't accept that there was something wrong with the AC. I most probably would get a Blue Star 5 Star inverter AC again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
They have definitely screwed up the installation, since both your AC are giving at best a vent temperature of a air cooler/evaporative cooler.

My daikin for example depending on the ambient temperature which in my room is anywhere between 29 to 32c can go to 3 degree vent temperature, taken via IR meter about to 3 inches from the vent, I also get a reading of 18 to 22c in a evaporative aka air cooler vent.

Sir

I don't think it was the installation. It was the issue with the AC itself I think. I had also raised this with technician as well as with manager at Sargam that you would get this temperature at vent from An air cooler. To which their reply was that the cooler doesn't cool the air. It just throws the air at room temperature. I asked why you guys sell cooler if it does same what a fan would do. As usual no answer from the store manager. I had an old esteem which had a troublesome AC. And that's how I know that the temperature at vent should be below 5 degrees. Since whenever my car used to show around 10 at the vent it wouldn't cool. I know both the systems are not exactly same but principal remains same. A vent temperature of 20 would not cool the room.

Quote:
There are three things involved in cooling the room

1. The vent temperature

2. The air flow

3. The thermal efficiency of IDU and ODU.

All these affect how much the room will cool. In general the culprits are either fan speed (too low to circulate the air properly), or the Thermal efficiency - due to clogged heat exchanger fins.

As I had mentioned a few posts ago, I have bought and installed a new LG Inverter AC.

. The AC cooled superbly the first two days.

. The third day the cooling slowed down. From 25 degrees the room slowly came to 29 degrees in four days, even at night.

. The settings were the same all the time.

The AC is installed in bedroom - 12x16 feet. Sun comes from two sides and the terrace for practically the day.

After cleaning the AC has been performing perfectly. Set it at 25 and within two hours the desired temperature is achieved.

Sir

I am aware about the factors effecting the cooling. In my case the factors were quite favourable as compared to my other AC. This room is towards the back doesn't get direct sunlight and is completely sealed. Still the AC struggled to cool and at times I would wake up because the room is too hot to sleep even with the AC on.

Quote:
Get the LG Inverter that I got - JS-Q18HUZD. Here are the advantages of getting it through PAYTM
. Price - the least. It matches the dealer prices at LG Retail. Paid around 44K.
. Cashback of 5.7K if you have registered with PAYTM (it is quite hassle free. Though Adhar verification can take a couple of days)
. Additional cashback (though payable on 31st Octoder) if bough using ICICI card.
. Free Installation
. 100% cashback for stabiliser (even though you do not need it for the LG 5 star inverter models, get one)
. Excellent LG after sales service, at least in NCR.

I am not particularly enamored by General. My son bough two Inverter AC two years ago. Last month both of them developed motherboard problem. After repairs the MB of one blew again last week.

What I like about LG, is that for my AC if I pay 15K within 1 month of purchase, I get extended warranty till fifth year. Mind you, it includes every thing - electronics, mechanicals and gas, something that you will not get from General or Daikin at this price.

Sir,

I am not very convinced with LG. Reason being the peak power consumption of their ACs is very high. LG 3 Star dual inverter AC has a peak power consumption of 1800 watts where in for Daikin it was 1400 watts approximately.
Old 26th June 2018, 11:50   #5936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Sir,

I am not very convinced with LG. Reason being the peak power consumption of their ACs is very high. LG 3 Star dual inverter AC has a peak power consumption of 1800 watts where in for Daikin it was 1400 watts approximately.
Well for 400W peak consumption difference, you have to bear with a lot of after sales service hassles.

There must be some confusion in the power consumption figures, may be you are comparing 3 star to 5 star. These are figures from the specifications published by the respective manufacturers :

Daikin 3 star, 1.5T AC
FTKL50TV16US = 1752W
FTHT50TV16U = 1850W
FTKL50TV16U = 1752W
DTKL50TV16U = 1752W

LG 3 star 1.5T AC
JS-Q18AUXA2 = 1840W
JS-Q18CUXA = 1840W
JS-Q18SUXD2 = 1840W
JS-Q18FUXD1 = 1840W

Daikin 5 star 1.5T AC
JTKJ50TV16U = 1315W
FTXF50QVMA = 1530W
FTKF50TV16U = 1290W

LG 5 star 1.5T AC
JS-Q18HUZD = 1420W
JS-Q18TLZD = 1420W
JS-Q18ZUZD = 1420W

So on the whole the power ratings at full load are more or less same. I would still go for LG as
. Cheaper to buy
. Cheaper to install
. Excellent all inclusive 5 years extended warranty at a reasonable cost.

I have one of Hitachi(11y), Daikin(4Y) and LG(1m) split ACs, the former is fix speed and the latter two inverter models. The cooling is similar, but it is the after sales service of both Hitachi and Daikin that is average to bad, as are their extended warranty plans.
Old 26th June 2018, 21:33   #5937
BHPian

Quote:
Get the LG Inverter that I got - JS-Q18HUZD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
But the LG website says 100% copper for the said AC model. Can somebody please explain what am I missing

We have finalized LG JS-Q24PUXA. It's a 2 ton inverter AC. Getting it for 49.3k including installation. LG guy says that it doesn't require stabilizer of any sort. Although the other two Voltas 1.5T splits at our home run on stabilizer only. The new LG inverter will replace our 15 year old LG window unit which died today morning.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 26th June 2018 at 21:35.
Old 27th June 2018, 11:02   #5938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
But the LG website says 100% copper for the said AC model. Can somebody please explain what am I missing

I think he was referring to LG 3 star split

We have finalized LG JS-Q24PUXA. It's a 2 ton inverter AC. Getting it for 49.3k including installation. LG guy says that it doesn't require stabilizer of any sort. Although the other two Voltas 1.5T splits at our home run on stabilizer only. The new LG inverter will replace our 15 year old LG window unit which died today morning.
LG 2T AC are all 3 star. If you can manage get their 1.5T 5 star ones, much lower power consumption. As far as cooling goes a 5 star 1.5T inverter AC will have similar or better cooling than a 15 year old 2T window unit.

Yes all new LG Inverter AC have a voltage usable range of 145V to 290V, so in most cases no stabiliser is needed.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-lg3.jpg

Last edited by Aroy : 27th June 2018 at 11:04.
Old 27th June 2018, 12:09   #5939
BANNED

@ARoy; Come to think of it I may even consider replacing the compressor unit with the rest unchanged. Only issue mat be R32 now vs R402a earlier.
Old 27th June 2018, 12:27   #5940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ARoy; Come to think of it I may even consider replacing the compressor unit with the rest unchanged. Only issue mat be R32 now vs R402a earlier.
R32 is a better refrigerant and gives better EER, One problem with R410A is that it has two components which have different boiling boints. So in general topping up requires a lot of technology both in figuring out what has leaked and how much of which component to fill. SO in general service technicians will throw the existing R410A gas and fill a new charge, which is expensive.

https://www.coolingpost.com/world-ne...replace-r410a/

From 2006 though, the market moved to R410A refrigerant (also an HFC) as it offered higher efficiencies, achieved by operating at higher pressures.

R407c is a blend of R32, R125 and R134A refrigerants, whereas R410A uses R32 and R125, which enables it to operate at these higher pressures.

Just make sure that the AC heat exchangers and the piping is compatible with R32.

By the way have you thought of just replacing the ODU with a new one?

EDIT - dangers
Just came across the following article
https://www.racplus.com/news/dont-tr...028788.article

It warns against retrofit of R32 into R410 system.
2) A system that was originally designed for R410A will not have taken into account the safety factors required when using an A2L refrigerant and could create a significant safety hazard. Systems designed for use with R32 have different pressure switch regimes, altered inverter profiles, and specially-designed heat exchangers.
So it is better to junk the present system and get a new one.

Last edited by Aroy : 27th June 2018 at 12:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks