Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 11:25   #5911
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I checked out this model on LG website. The specs are impressive. I believe most AC brands these days do their primary function - cooling - pretty well. It's the features that differentiate

Indoor unit noise level of this model (JS-Q18HUZD) is mentioned as 28 db. So is my current 1.5 year old LG 1.5 ton inverter (not dual inverter). In reality it sounds far noisier than Daikin of similar specification. In fact, the outdoor unit of this LG is very noisy. It is mounted just outside our living room window; it is no better than a window unit in terms of noise. Low frequency humming noise comes through the large glass window: you get thermal comfort but noise discomfort.
No idea how your ODU make so much noise. As I have both Daikin and LG inverters, I checked the noise. Both are mounted on the roof top and separated by some twenty feet. Each unit is whisper quiet and you cannot hear either at the mid point - 10 feet.

Same is the case with the IDU. You can barely hear either at mid fan speed. At high speed the fan makes some noise, but much less than the ceiling fan at 2(out of 4) mark.

For a split AC the IDU noise is mainly the fan, so the faster it blows (for longer air throw) the more noise.

Last edited by Aroy : 18th June 2018 at 11:26.
Old 18th June 2018, 12:17   #5912
Distinguished - BHPian

It's nice to hear of long-lasting relationships!

I doubt that today's stuff will last 17 years.
Old 18th June 2018, 14:31   #5913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
No idea how your ODU make so much noise. As I have both Daikin and LG inverters, I checked the noise. Both are mounted on the roof top and separated by some twenty feet. Each unit is whisper quiet and you cannot hear either at the mid point - 10 feet.
Its probably vibration noise. Can it be fixed?

The ODU is mounted in the balcony, on a wall common to living room and one bedroom (which is currently used as store). The deep humming sound can be heard even in the store room. Between ODU and store room is masonry wall without any opening.
Old 19th June 2018, 20:59   #5914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Its probably vibration noise. Can it be fixed?

The ODU is mounted in the balcony, on a wall common to living room and one bedroom (which is currently used as store). The deep humming sound can be heard even in the store room. Between ODU and store room is masonry wall without any opening.
Check the mounting. If there are no rubber boots on each of the four legs, buy them and install them.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-nsc_3568.jpg

Note the rubber boot on the nearest leg
Old 20th June 2018, 11:29   #5915
BANNED

Yesterday, I suddenly started getting a deluge in the room where my General split is installed. Has to call in a mechanic to fix it.

Normal gripe about any embedded pipes. Now what do I do, start dripping in the neighbours house.
Old 21st June 2018, 21:27   #5916
BHPian

Hello Guys,

As I mentioned couple of posts before the two new Daikins which we bought were giving us sleepless nights. The ACs were horrible. The Daikin technician diagnosed a faulty PCB to be the reason behind not cooling appropriately and offered replacement of PCB on one AC but completely failed to diagnose the issue on the 2nd AC. After six visits in total the conclusion the team reached was that there was no problem with the 2nd AC. The technician checked the temperature at the vent on the indoor unit and it was 20 degrees room temperature was 32 degrees. After an hour the temperature at vent was 14 degrees and room temperature 29 and the area where the air was focused since the swing was off came down to 26 degrees. And the technician was still not convinced that there was some problem with the AC. I took them to the other room where I have the Blue Star installed. The temperature at the vent as soon as I turned AC on was 8 degrees. I am sure if I would run it for an hour the temperature at the vent will not be more than 4 degrees. The technician was shocked to see the numbers from this AC and when I asked him why Daikin has such high temperature at the vent he was clueless. At the end all he said was I don't know about Blue Star but there is no problem with Daikin. I tried to make him understand if the temperature at the vent is 20 it can never bring the room temperature at 20. But the guy was reluctant and kept on repeating that there is no problem with the AC. Had bought the ACs from Sargam electronics contacted them and their response wasn't very great also. Wrote an email to Daikin India CEO. Got a call from Sargam that they have been instructed to get the ACs uninstalled and refund the money. Now it's been over a week, the ACs were uninstalled on Friday and they haven't picked them yet and I am waiting for my refund so that I can buy new AC. Looks like I will have to write another email, this time to Sargam Electronics CEO.

On a side note very confused with which AC to buy now. The General will cost 70K with installation. I don't want to spend that kind of money. Does not look worth to me. Looks like I will go with Blue Star again.
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:31   #5917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
As I mentioned couple of posts before the two new Daikins which we bought were giving us sleepless nights. The General will cost 70K with installation.
Very unfortunate.

The trouble with most aircon companies is that they do not train their technicians at regular intervals. These technicians are all sourced from third party providers. LG maybe an exception.

I had a gas leak on my Blue Star a couple of months ago. The first technician they sent was incompetent. He claimed some valve pin failure, said he changed it, which he did not as I discovered later and the gas leaked again. I called Blue Star, reported my concerns and asked them to send a "more competent" technician, to which they obliged and the problem was sorted in a jiffy.

70k is a bit much for a aircon. Close your eyes and buy a Blue Star. I've got a few running at home and they have been super reliable. Service has been fantastic too. Not that I've used service much cause the units have been reliable.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd June 2018 at 02:34.
Old 22nd June 2018, 02:59   #5918
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hello Guys,

As I mentioned couple of posts before the two new Daikins which we bought were giving us sleepless nights. The ACs were horrible. The Daikin technician diagnosed a faulty PCB to be the reason behind not cooling appropriately and offered replacement of PCB on one AC but completely failed to diagnose the issue on the 2nd AC. After six visits in total the conclusion the team reached was that there was no problem with the 2nd AC. The technician checked the temperature at the vent on the indoor unit and it was 20 degrees room temperature was 32 degrees. After an hour the temperature at vent was 14 degrees and room temperature 29 and the area where the air was focused since the swing was off came down to 26 degrees. And the technician was still not convinced that there was some problem with the AC. I took them to the other room where I have the Blue Star installed. The temperature at the vent as soon as I turned AC on was 8 degrees. I am sure if I would run it for an hour the temperature at the vent will not be more than 4 degrees. The technician was shocked to see the numbers from this AC and when I asked him why Daikin has such high temperature at the vent he was clueless. At the end all he said was I don't know about Blue Star but there is no problem with Daikin. I tried to make him understand if the temperature at the vent is 20 it can never bring the room temperature at 20. But the guy was reluctant and kept on repeating that there is no problem with the AC. Had bought the ACs from Sargam electronics contacted them and their response wasn't very great also. Wrote an email to Daikin India CEO. Got a call from Sargam that they have been instructed to get the ACs uninstalled and refund the money. Now it's been over a week, the ACs were uninstalled on Friday and they haven't picked them yet and I am waiting for my refund so that I can buy new AC. Looks like I will have to write another email, this time to Sargam Electronics CEO.

On a side note very confused with which AC to buy now. The General will cost 70K with installation. I don't want to spend that kind of money. Does not look worth to me. Looks like I will go with .
They have definitely screwed up the installation, since both your AC are giving at best a vent temperature of a air cooler/evaporative cooler.

My daikin for example depending on the ambient temperature which in my room is anywhere between 29 to 32c can go to 3 degree vent temperature, taken via IR meter about to 3 inches from the vent, I also get a reading of 18 to 22c in a evaporative aka air cooler vent.

So clearly the installation is screwed, even if they send a technician they can still be incompetant. or have poor training. In india it's both be it in any industry.

Last edited by aim120 : 22nd June 2018 at 03:14.
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:12   #5919
Senior - BHPian

All in pursuit of more efficient hvac systems. Samsung introduces its Wind Free hvac units.

Old 22nd June 2018, 12:24   #5920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

As I mentioned couple of posts before the two new Daikins which we bought were giving us sleepless nights. The ACs were horrible. The Daikin technician diagnosed a faulty PCB to be the reason behind not cooling appropriately and offered replacement of PCB on one AC but completely failed to diagnose the issue on the 2nd AC. After six visits in total the conclusion the team reached was that there was no problem with the 2nd AC. The technician checked the temperature at the vent on the indoor unit and it was 20 degrees room temperature was 32 degrees. After an hour the temperature at vent was 14 degrees and room temperature 29 and the area where the air was focused since the swing was off came down to 26 degrees..........
There are three things involved in cooling the room

1. The vent temperature
2. The air flow
3. The thermal efficiency of IDU and ODU.
All these affect how much the room will cool. In general the culprits are either fan speed (too low to circulate the air properly), or the Thermal efficiency - due to clogged heat exchanger fins.

As I had mentioned a few posts ago, I have bought and installed a new LG Inverter AC.
. The AC cooled superbly the first two days.
. The third day the cooling slowed down. From 25 degrees the room slowly came to 29 degrees in four days, even at night.
. The settings were the same all the time.

The AC is installed in bedroom - 12x16 feet. Sun comes from two sides and the terrace for practically the whole day.

Called LG and they sent a technician promptly. Here is what he found
. The ODU was full of dust. He banged the sides and dust fell out in copious amounts. Conclusion - the area is dusty and during a dust storm the dust had lodged itself in the ODU. After a few hard taps when the dust stopped coming out, he showed me how to wash the heat exchanger fins with a few mugs of water. His recommendation was that I check the ODU every couple of days, and wash it at least once a week.
. The IDU filter was also clogged. Again after washing he advised regular weekly washing of the filter.

After cleaning the AC has been performing perfectly. Set it at 25 and within two hours the desired temperature is achieved. In contrast our previous Hitachi 5 Star window used to take four hours or more to achieve 25 degrees.

Now an interesting thing with this inverter AC. At night even if I set the temperature at 26 it comes down to 24 or lower by midnight. No amount of setting - low fan speed, higher temperature helped. Went through the manual and found an interesting feature in this model.
. You can set the compressor power level to 80%, 60%, 40% and 20%.
. The power level setting is needed as there is a limit to how much the inverter will slow down.

In my case; purely arbitrary; it seems to be 7 degrees difference between outside and inside. As the outside night temperature is hovering around 31 degrees, running at normal power brings the temperature down to 24. As the Inverter AC nominally works between 20% and 125% of its rated capacity, small temperature difference is beyond 20%, hence need to have a method to decrease the power level. Setting the power level to 60% got the desired temperature. Wonder when the 20% power level is needed.
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:37   #5921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a side note very confused with which AC to buy now. The General will cost 70K with installation. I don't want to spend that kind of money. Does not look worth to me. Looks like I will go with Blue Star again.
Get the LG Inverter that I got - JS-Q18HUZD. Here are the advantages of getting it through PAYTM
. Price - the least. It matches the dealer prices at LG Retail. Paid around 44K.
. Cashback of 5.7K if you have registered with PAYTM (it is quite hassle free. Though Adhar verification can take a couple of days)
. Additional cashback (though payable on 31st Octoder) if bough using ICICI card.
. Free Installation
. 100% cashback for stabiliser (even though you do not need it for the LG 5 star inverter models, get one)
. Excellent LG after sales service, at least in NCR.

I am not particularly enamored by General. My son bough two Inverter AC two years ago. Last month both of them developed motherboard problem. After repairs the MB of one blew again last week.

What I like about LG, is that for my AC if I pay 15K within 1 month of purchase, I get extended warranty till fifth year. Mind you, it includes every thing - electronics, mechanicals and gas, something that you will not get from General or Daikin at this price.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2018 at 13:28. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 14:46   #5922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Now an interesting thing with this inverter AC. At night even if I set the temperature at 26 it comes down to 24 or lower by midnight. No amount of setting - low fan speed, higher temperature helped. Went through the manual and found an interesting feature in this model.
. You can set the compressor power level to 80%, 60%, 40% and 20%.
. The power level setting is needed as there is a limit to how much the inverter will slow down.
Where do you set this power level ? If it is through remote control, what hotkeys do you press to get into the service mode ?
It is possible that other brands may have the same features of setting the power level - hidden in the service mode. It may not appear in normal way.
Old 22nd June 2018, 18:36   #5923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Where do you set this power level ? If it is through remote control, what hotkeys do you press to get into the service mode ?
It is possible that other brands may have the same features of setting the power level - hidden in the service mode. It may not appear in normal way.
No hotkey. It is a button on the remote!!!

The home / office air-conditioner thread-lgpower.jpg

Last edited by Aroy : 22nd June 2018 at 18:42.
Old 22nd June 2018, 19:45   #5924
BANNED

Need some advice. Appears that my Daikin 2TR Inverter AC is still losing refrigerant. So I will have to replace it. I must have 2TR, R4xx (Daikin has 402a), Inverter. What do you suggest I know at the top end is General (I have this in my bedroom) with a price to match. Anything somewhat cheaper. I am looking at 3 hours a day in the summer.
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:27   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Need some advice. Appears that my Daikin 2TR Inverter AC is still losing refrigerant. So I will have to replace it. I must have 2TR, R4xx (Daikin has 402a), Inverter. What do you suggest I know at the top end is General (I have this in my bedroom) with a price to match. Anything somewhat cheaper. I am looking at 3 hours a day in the summer.
How big is the room and how many occupants? How many persons?.

From cost benefit point of view two 1T is a better buy (faster cooling and redundancy), especially as you are using it for only 3 hours a day. With prices being what they are a 2T 5 star is well into 70K+ realm.

In my opinion if you use the AC for 3-4 hours a day, a plain non-inverter 3 star AC would be sufficient, as by the time the room has cooled sufficiently it will be time to switch it off. The best buy that I have found is the following LG 3 star split.

https://paytmmall.com/lg-lsa3np3f-1-...hild_site_id=6

. LG 1 Ton 3 Star (2017) Split AC (LSA3NP3F, White), Rs. 27,411, MRP 32990, -17%
. Casback on PAYtm = ACOFFER13 Applied!, Save 3289
. Additional 10% Cashback on ICICI Bank Credit Card. Offer is also valid on EMI.T&C Apply

In effect if you buy two of them then they will cost you
2 x (27,411 - 3289) - 10% = 48,244 x .9 ~ 44K. Well below the cost of one 1.5T Inverter AC.

What I like about LG is that their extended warranty includes every thing - Parts, Electronics and GAS. The charges for 4 years extended warranty; if bought within a month of purchase; is Rs.9,200 + VAT. Well worth it in my opinion.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-nsc_3836.jpg
So if you are plagued with AC problems, theirs is the best plan.

Last edited by Aroy : 23rd June 2018 at 10:33.

Most Viewed