Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2023, 16:34   #7411
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Have LG or Samsung totally stopped selling 1 Ton Window ACs anymore?
A great-looking LG 1.5 ton invertor window AC is available in Amazon. 1 ton is apparently out of stock.

Don't know about Samsung, but 1 ton Blue Star, Voltas and Amazon Basics are available, the latter being the cheapest.

This is the LG 1 ton:
https://www.amazon.in/LG-Convertible...51&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd June 2023 at 16:35.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 22:23   #7412

I am looking to buy a 1.5 T Inverter A/C and visited Vijay Sales and Reliance Digital over the past one week.
I have a budget of approx 40k. I had almost finalized the Panasonic 7 in 1 3 Star Inverter A/C but came across IFB 2023 Models. Any views on IFB Air Conditioners? Also suggestions for other brands are welcome.
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:00   #7413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post

Daikin doesn't make you shiver and given the bigger size room, it just moderately regulate the temperature on top floor, sun facing room. Being undersized unit it is also 'helpful' in moisture control in the sense when a properly area matched unit works, in my experience the moisture content in room fluctuates with variable speeds as well. Daikin being intentionally underpowered for the given area just keep working at optimum and beyond level without shutting off/very low blower speeds as frequently like my Voltas.
I think of Daikin with 680 units PA consumption like a old generation 900RPM exhaust fan in a desert cooler that just works somewhere in background on and on without any fuss or drama or bells and whistles.

I feel that AC guys make us oversize our ac and at I intend to try to correct this in my future project by either 'right sizing' or even a little under sizing.
Oversized fixed speed ac short cycle very frequently and having been bitten by inverter ac many times I am trying to avoid inverter ac.
Now yours is a 5 star inverter ac so theoretically and indeed as per your experience it's the most efficient machine.
But as you are saying that it moderately regulates the temperature and it is undersized then it would mean either of the two things :
1. you keep desired temperature in the comfortable range, say in the range of 26 and the inverter compressor of the machine maintains this temperature at part load which is the real function and benefit of inverter machines.
2. Or your inverter compressor operates at full load and this is just about sufficient to maintain your desired temperature. But in this case this machine is operating like a fixed speed.

As regards Voltas, if an inverter compressor shuts down then most probably it means that ac is oversized as inverter ac can run as low as 25% of their tonnage.

Btw are the windows and the door of the room with Daikin facing West? Can you say that 1.5 ton ac will be sufficient for the top floor if
a. the room does not has any west facing wall
b. the room has a west facing wall

I am planning to use two 1 ton ac in similarly sized room on top floor. Will it be a good idea?

I have a similarly sized bedroom on ground level with east facing window and door. I feel that my Mitsu Electric 1.5 ton is oversized for this room!
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:50   #7414
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I feel that AC guys make us oversize our ac and at I intend to try to correct this in my future project by either 'right sizing' or even a little under sizing.

I have a similarly sized bedroom on ground level with east facing window and door. I feel that my Mitsu Electric 1.5 ton is oversized for this room!
I agree that this is a similar trend of vanity sizing in clothing, prevalent nowadays.

As for the Daikin and how it works or may work for your bigger room. You may like to consider the tech talk these companies give about their product performance. Their 'cooling claim' are based upon 36C being ambient temperature inside the house. Their 'work even at 52C' is based upon sensor reading at blower output inside room. Knowing delhi, i can say on any given day in June the average temp inside a room that have been non-cooled for 10 hours, the temp hovers about 37-38 with 43c outside (which typically stays almost same for many weeks during scorching summers). If you set the a/c to deliver you even moderate 26C in XYZ hour, dependent upon BTU rating and so on is still asking for a lot even from a 1.5 domestic a/c irrespective of fixed speed or veritable type. So given the task, variable speed is going to perform like fixed speed and act like inverter WHEN, 2-3 hours have passed and/or temps go down in evening.
With that caveat in mind, Daikin's task was cut. My room was top floor, west facing wall with big glass window. For area matched calculation I would have required a 2.2 to 3 tonn machine. I could have done that but I opted for an under performing a/c. Because 1) I am not fan of shimla like room in summer heat. 2) I knew this a/c cannot even cool down to 25 or 26 when outside temp was 41-42 (where I am) and 3) i knew that it might be a variable machine but am going to think of it as fixed speed a/c of 1.5 ton that uses 580 units a year as per approved testing norms.

So, in real time I have this for about 1 and 1/2 month, peak of summers with constant 40 and above (but not Delhi like 43 for weeks and on) with night temp never going above 30. I have to say that my 'calculations' were off the mark by some margin and for same money I could have bought a fixed speed Daikin 2.2 tonn and be little more happy. However, to compensate for my 'calculation and expectation error' I suffer from buyers remorse only for about 25 days out of a solid 6 month a/c season we have here. It brought the room temp down only to 28 with help of a pedestal fan for air circulation and still this was night and day difference for me, from 1 week that we lived without a/c in living room at start of season. The max temp came down to 38 in past couple of days and it performs as expected and in next couple of days I guess I will switch off the pedestal fan too.

During the peak time this Daikin worked like a fixed speed machine and I never saw the outdoor unit fan working at variable speed and fan speed just keep working at single (albeit kind of 'limp mode') speed. Indoor unit is the quietest I have seen on any a/c. Internal fan speed is 5 speed+auto and i didn't notice much effect between speed settings. However, the moment you opt for 'power chill', the outdoor unit fan picks up considerable speed and bit noisy. Same for internal unit too.

With change of weather to milder side, it cools well and during late evening it has started to function like a variable speed machine and yet never completely working at very low power thereby very effectively eliminating moisture. Company claimed 4-5 ltr per hour but i measured mine at 6ltr per hour. That is going to be my prime requirement for next 4 months. As you rightly pointed out about over-specs, I don't sleep in cold room and am happy with just 27c, but the 1.5 ton 3 star Voltas can step down only to 1 tonn and keep tripping through cycle of piss smell and cold air.

So, two 1 ton units should work well for you if you stick to premium brands.
HereticHermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:14   #7415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
I agree that this is a similar trend of vanity sizing in clothing, prevalent nowadays.

So, two 1 ton units should work well for you if you stick to premium brands.
Thanks for such a detailed reply. You have been much helpful. We too set our AC at 26 for our office as well as home. Below 26 feels rather chilly to us.

Inverter ACs are great but for maintenance issues as described and faced by me.

But I am not that much a big fan of star ratings. Tricks used by AC manufacturers to enhance efficiency like spacing fins very closely or thinning of copper tubes are not practical solutions from the point of consumer. To maintain this efficiency level these ACs need to be serviced more frequently.
Also some you-tuber is claiming and indeed I have checked specs of 5 star LG inverter ACs which have max rated capacity of 4600w for 1.5 ton ac. I would like to know whether these ACs are as powerful and as capable to cool a room as a standard 5250w 1.5 ton ACs?

Regarding brands We use mostly Japenese like Daikin, Mitsubishi Electric, General or Hitachi. We have Voltas but only for their 5 years comprehensive warranty. But for future I am inclined to use Mitsubishi Electric for their epxoy coating on indoor unit copper coil and for made in Thailand tag.
Old 23rd June 2023, 21:16   #7416
Senior - BHPian

Hello All
I'm seeking creative & different thoughts on what could be done on my below ordeal on our 15 year old Onida 1.5 ton AC

Fri 26-May: The AC starts working as usual, but turns off after 2-3 minutes consistently so on

Sat 27-May: Log an incident CH27XX31529; as Onida has outsourced their AC service to YY Enterprises {name not undisclosed intentionally}. They check the issue & confirm that the fan on the outdoor unit ceased working due to which the compressor becomes hot & the cut off mechanism prevents the compressor from overheating turns it off. They say replacing the fan will fix the issue for which we agreed. Charged Rs 3500 for fan replacement. AC worked good unfortunately the AC works all the time & never cuts off that we noticed the same night, so the next day

Sun 28-May: Opened another incident CH28XX7773 stating the issue above and on

Mon 29-May: YY Enterprises simply closed the incident. Unfortunately I couldn't open another incident on Tuesday, so on

Wed 31-May: Opened another incident CH310XX59399 stating the AC keeps running without the relay kicking in to stop the compressor when the room temperature is reached. People from YY Enterprises attend the issue & say the problem is with the PCB at the indoor unit. Ofcourse no amount of logical reasoning can be done as why the PCB conks off all of a sudden coinciding along with the fan. And they never sent anyone to test the PCB despite the request. We were given 2 options replace the PCB or fix it. We opted to fix it at the cost of Rs 2500 {original estimate was Rs 2500 to Rs 5500}. They also demanded Rs 3000 more for which I asked them the bill after which they've neither sent the bill nor I've made the payment {the cost of MRP on the PCB was printed as Rs 1859}

Wed 14-Jun: The PCB is replaced, but technicians leave without proper testing even after insisting & to our dismay AC keeps working freezing us to icing. And in the meanwhile the incident is closed. So on

Thu 15-Jun: Opened another incident CH15XX90921 stating the issue that is left unattended till now despite following-up on 19, 21 & 23. Each time people from YY Enterprises call us & ask what's the issue {same person asking same question only to repeat the same answer} & they say they will attend but no one shows up

Meanwhile we wanted an AC for another room so we went ahead & bought it, so for now our sleep was disturbed in between for 4-5 days that's all & thanks to the Weather change now to keep AC away.

So now, we're faced with multiple thoughts
1. Move on #1: throw away the old AC {that actually works really good} & opt for a new inverter AC from Bluestar or LG or whichever brand that will aid to lower energy bill & also one less headache in life with the downside of huge cost & not to mention the loss of Rs 6000
2. Move on #2: find a competent independent AC service who can fix the issue for sure; with the downside of lack of accountability, uncertainty for another issue to crop up & loss of Rs 6000
3. Fight: can't leave this guys who swindled Rs 6000 for nothing!! either they fix the issue or return the money. But then I do not want to waste my energy fighting these people for nothing because I've shot an email to the top brass at Mirc Electronics that went unanswered, so one can imagine the lethargic & lackadaisical attitude of the management
4. Social media: not sure if there will be even any response when the emails to the top brass are ignored, would the social media be ignored as well?

So what else can be done? Are there any other alternatives to this issue? I'm open hearing your thoughts please. Thank you

Last edited by aargee : 23rd June 2023 at 21:22.
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 21:40   #7417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm seeking creative & different thoughts on what could be done on my below ordeal on our 15 year old Onida 1.5 ton AC
Aargee, your AC has lived its life, 15 years with regular usage is a good enough time. Please throw it out and buy a new one. Your peace of mind (which is actually priceless) will be restored if you forget the six thousand experience. Buy a new AC, forget all that has happened and literally chill out

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 21:42   #7418
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All

So what else can be done? Are there any other alternatives to this issue? I'm open hearing your thoughts please. Thank you
Well I am no expert but I guess 15 yrs is a good lifespan. I had an Onida 1.5 T AC bought in 2008 that served me very well and still running and it was the cheapest one available in the market probably because it had and still has non existant customer care. They have a sell it and forget it attitude. Never even had to top up gas. I have got all the installations and issues resolved by private guys. Thankfully I didn't run into many issues apart from leaking once. Its better not to ruin your sleep over 15 yr old device. Buy a new one with proven customer care. With respect to customer care my experience with all the LGs has been good. Any product of theirs' provide an amazing peace of mind.
huntrz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 11:41   #7419
Senior - BHPian

In general a 15 year old AC is at the end of its life, so there is no reason to spend money in repairs. This is for domestic units.

On the other hand AC's designed for Industrial use are more robust (and twice as expensive), and their life is over 20 years.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 11:56   #7420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If you purchase online, there are chances of a buyback, do explore it, your lost Rs. 6,000 maybe somewhat compensated. Try off line stores too as well as your trusted mechanics, they may provide some value to your AC.

One more aspect, the newer AC's consume very less power compared to what the older ones do, I have an old Whirlpool which isn't used frequently, so keeping it, but the newer Daikins (true for most inverter AC's) consume a lot less power and if the Whirlpool is used a bit more than normal, it's pretty evident in the power consumption bill.

So sorry to hear about your agony.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th June 2023 at 13:01.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 12:29   #7421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All
It is never a good idea to call the company people for very old appliances. Call your friendly neighborhood ac repair shop and let them check it. I suspect the problem is with your thermostat. If they can repair it without much expense, well and good. Else use the ac by operating for a couple of hours on and off for a few months till the rains start and ac won't be needed. And then replace it during Christmas/new year sale.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 03:15   #7422
BANNED

Quote:
Have LG or Samsung totally stopped selling 1 Ton Window ACs anymore?
Planning to visit shops over the weekend. But what other brands are of decent qaulity & also have good after sales service?
Ended up buying a 1 Ton Voltas Window AC.

They seem to have what I think is a unique feature - when you turn on the AC, the compressor doesn't start for the first 3 minutes, the compressor only starts after 3 minutes elapse. Apparently, this is to save the compressor from damage. You can bypass this by pressing a Turbo button.

I haven't seen this before in any AC - is this common? Is it really required or can I press the Turbo button each & every time?
Old 28th June 2023, 08:27   #7423
Senior - BHPian

^^ Is it an inverter Ac? This feature was common in all non inverter ACs. The compressor will start only after a few minutes. There was no button for instant start either.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 09:18   #7424
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Is it an inverter Ac? This feature was common in all non inverter ACs. The compressor will start only after a few minutes. There was no button for instant start either.
It's a non-inverter AC. I didn't know all non-inverter ones start late. I guess I have noticed it for the first time because this AC has an indicator which blinks for 3 minutes till the comp starts. My other ACs don't have this blinking thing - I will check for the sound when I start the other AC next time if the comp turns on only later.
Old 28th June 2023, 09:51   #7425
BHPian

Quote:
Ended up buying a 1 Ton Voltas Window AC.

They seem to have what I think is a unique feature - when you turn on the AC, the compressor doesn't start for the first 3 minutes, the compressor only starts after 3 minutes elapse. Apparently, this is to save the compressor from damage. You can bypass this by pressing a Turbo button.

I haven't seen this before in any AC - is this common? Is it really required or can I press the Turbo button each & every time?
This is mainly to prevent the compressor from coming on immediately after the power goes and comes back immediately. When you put on the AC you can press the turbo button everytime without any problem. Many good voltage stabilizers also have this button.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks