Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 10:44   #7396
BANNED

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Interesting concept. I feel this is more suited for dry weather. Not for hot and humid cities like Chennai, etc.
Why would that be so? In an air cooler, evaporation of water is being used to cool & hence it wouldn't work well in humid places. However, here that is not the case, water is only being used as a heat sink for exchanging heat with a cooler place. So why would humidity be relevant?
Old 13th June 2023, 10:52   #7397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hi, what will be the ideal AC tonnage for a 300 sq ft room?

I'm looking for a fixed speed split AC. Room size is 15 x 20 ft. Some salesmen insist on minimum 2 ton capacity while others say 1.5 ton is sufficient. I'm confused.
1.5 ton will be sufficient if there is a building above that room. If it is just open terrace above, 2 tons.
Old 13th June 2023, 10:57   #7398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hi, what will be the ideal AC tonnage for a 300 sq ft room?

I'm looking for a fixed speed split AC. Room size is 15 x 20 ft. Some salesmen insist on minimum 2 ton capacity while others say 1.5 ton is sufficient. I'm confused.
15x20 is a big room, I think salesman is suggesting 2.0 ton rightly. There are many online tonnage calculators available, almost all manufacturer website have them. There are factors like top floor, east or west facing walls, glass area on those walls and other walls, number of occupants etc.

For that room size 2.0 ton is a min I would say. Also, nowadays ACs come with variable capacity running and therefore even if you buy higher capacity, you should not worry much about running consumption.

It is better to buy a bigger ac that runs on lower load than buying one which struggles to cool and keeps running on high load.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 11:33   #7399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Radiant cooling for homes - sounds too good...
I happened to stumble across a particular Tamil YouTuber's video on Radiant Cooling technology.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=5MqzgFJ7e1A
This is the concept that is used world over; for past few millenia; for heating and cooling. The only difference is that for cooling, chilled water is used, while here water cooled by evaporation is used.

As long as the water is not very cold (< 15 degrees), there will be very little dehumidification (that is one plus of AC), but yes it will cool the rooms.

For places like Delhi that needs both cooling and heating, using water pipes embedded in walls and ceiling will be an excellent solution. Use evaporation for cooling (cooling tower?) and solar water heater for heating.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th June 2023 at 07:39. Reason: millemia > millenia, fixed broken quote.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 21:30   #7400
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have observed something like this is being used to cool the Matri mandir in Auroville, Pondicherry for many years. The interiors are very cool and pleasant, but there are no ACs used anywhere in the building.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 06:17   #7401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
However, here that is not the case, water is only being used as a heat sink for exchanging heat with a cooler place. So why would humidity be relevant?
Agree. How does this system take out moisture from the air? In a coastal city like Chennai or the State of Kerala, its a combination of heat + high humidity that makes it uncomfortable.

Like I said, Radiant Cooling is a neat idea. Its the commissioning of it that's not so easy or anywhere near as easy as fitting an Air Conditioner. A lot of planning has to happen as part of your building construction. Maintenance of such a system in the long run is unknown territory too.
Old 14th June 2023, 14:16   #7402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... So why would humidity be relevant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Agree. How does this system take out moisture from the air?
When warm wet air meets a cool surface, there will be condensation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 06:35   #7403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When warm wet air meets a cool surface, there will be condensation.
... only if the cool surface is at/below the dew point...
anupmathur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 21:49   #7404
Distinguished - BHPian

Our ancient but excellent Daikin failed two nights ago. With Chennai temperatures as they are how, that literally means sleep loss.

Thankfully we were able to get engineers the next day, and repair amounted to one failed starter capacitor.

Engineer pointed out that the outside-unit fan should be replaced soon. His recommendation was that, as I feel too, it's absolutely worth it to keep this machine running as long as possible, as they really don't make them like that any more!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 16:43   #7405
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Just to keep it short and simple. Installed Daikin FTKF50UV16T of 1.5 tonne unit in a biggish living room of nearly 20 x 14.
I wasn't looking for a super chilling Unit in the Living room so opted for a unit that consumes least possible electricity. So FTKF50 is all that.
In a like to like comparison of 1.5 Tonne, both the Daikin and Voltas are 1.5 ton, yet the outdoor unit of daikin is bigger in every aspect and dimensions.
But there is a catch. This 1.5 ton Daikin is actually a 2 ton machine with a heart of 1.5 machine as a result it is very frugal and works very well to control the ambient temperature. However when a 1.5 ton mosquito tries to walk in 2 tonn Gum Boots you can't really expect Gorilla results.
Voltas 1.5 have a continuous Turbo mode, chills very fast but drink electricity like nobody's business.
Daikin 1.5 can operate Power Mode only for 15 mins before reverting back to normal mode and cant be kept on Turbo manually. Consumes very less electricity for a 1.5 unit.

Daikin doesn't make you shiver and given the bigger size room, it just moderately regulate the temperature on top floor, sun facing room. Being undersized unit it is also 'helpful' in moisture control in the sense when a properly area matched unit works, in my experience the moisture content in room fluctuates with variable speeds as well. Daikin being intentionally underpowered for the given area just keep working at optimum and beyond level without shutting off/very low blower speeds as frequently like my Voltas.
I think of Daikin with 680 units PA consumption like a old generation 900RPM exhaust fan in a desert cooler that just works somewhere in background on and on without any fuss or drama or bells and whistles.
If you are looking for a wifi connect, triple display, 101 types of filters then this isn't for you.
If you are looking for a very frugal machine, least noise, basic set up, moderate temperature controlling then the premium price of 64 grand for this unit is worth.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-pxl_20230426_041657305.jpg  

HereticHermit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 21:50   #7406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Engineer pointed out that the outside-unit fan should be replaced soon.
When you replace the fan, ask the guys to check the mounting backet for corrosion. It is often better to replace the fan-mounting bracket (pressed sheet-metal thingy) and the result will be a quieter unit. The AC guys will get it custom-fabricated in GI sheet metal.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 22:45   #7407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
It is often better to replace the fan-mounting bracket ...
Absolutely right! Some stuff was lost in translation with my poor wife still having to be an interpretor for me, but I think that "week mount" was part of it.

Thanks.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 08:43   #7408
Senior - BHPian

When the fan motor of my 2007 Samsung window Ac failed during 2015, we couldn't source a new fan motor for it. The model had changed slightly and the new model's fan motor was not a correct fit in my old ac unit. It's mounting brackets were at a different position. We tried our best to source the old type motor but failed. So finally the coil of the old fan motor was rewound and the fan was installed back, and served perfectly for another five years before the ac was replaced.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 13:46   #7409
BANNED

Have LG or Samsung totally stopped selling 1 Ton Window ACs anymore?

I don't find a single 1 Ton AC on LG or Samsung's website & don't find any on Amazon/Flipkart also.

Planning to visit shops over the weekend. But what other brands are of decent qaulity & also have good after sales service?

I have got stung by a Godrej Fridge & an IFB washing machine - Godrej Fridge gave a lot of problems & the after sales service was even worse. IFB after sales service is good but the product itself is not as good as an LG or Samsung.

So in case I am not able to find an LG or Samsung at the shop which other brands have good after sales service & are also of decent quality? The star rating etc is not that important because the AC will be used very sparingly - like 1 or 2 weeks a year. Also not looking for a super expensive brand.
Old 22nd June 2023, 14:15   #7410
BHPian

Quote:
Have LG or Samsung totally stopped selling 1 Ton Window ACs anymore?

I don't find a single 1 Ton AC on LG or Samsung's website & don't find any on Amazon/Flipkart also.

Planning to visit shops over the weekend. But what other brands are of decent qaulity & also have good after sales service?

I have got stung by a Godrej Fridge & an IFB washing machine - Godrej Fridge gave a lot of problems & the after sales service was even worse. IFB after sales service is good but the product itself is not as good as an LG or Samsung.

So in case I am not able to find an LG or Samsung at the shop which other brands have good after sales service & are also of decent quality? The star rating etc is not that important because the AC will be used very sparingly - like 1 or 2 weeks a year. Also not looking for a super expensive brand.
Don't know about Samsung but till a couple of months back LG had window ACs, inverter models that too, but in your case that is not needed.

Voltas has excellent service and I am extremely satisfied with their ACs.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks