Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2023, 21:27   #7306
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
What temperature are you setting it at ?
In Chennai, my acs are usually always at their lowest possible, 18° in this case at full fan speed.
Old 26th March 2023, 23:12   #7307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
In Chennai, my acs are usually always at their lowest possible, 18° in this case at full fan speed.
What size room is it in ? If the room and AC match then ideally it should be sufficient.
Old 27th March 2023, 00:28   #7308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
What size room is it in ? If the room and AC match then ideally it should be sufficient.
It's about 210sq ft, my previous room was about 170 or so and the ac felt inadequate then too. Am now happy with the 1.6T fixed speed ac as it is a huge IDU and i get the throw about 12-14ft away where i lay down on my bed and this is with the temperature set at 24. The inverter 1.5T should have sufficed too if it didn't really slow down in 30-40 mins or so. Both are MHI and i chose them for their (so called) power, but seem to have gone wrong with the inverter model.
The inverter IDU is about 32" in width while the non-inverter one is about 48".
Old 27th March 2023, 16:06   #7309
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 5 Star Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 1.5T ac and have never been happy with the cooling.
I had the same issue with Voltas 1.5 Ton Inverter AC which replaced a fixed speed AC. After struggling with poor cooling for 2 years, I moved it elsewhere.
Ok Long story short:

Problem is with the IDU. The Inverter AC has a 4 star rating and so the fins have narrow gap in the IDU. This results in faster clogging of the IDU. Eventually the internal pressure build up resulted in gas leak. Yes - the power consumption will give the clue - it will draw less than 2 A which is not normal.

On the other hand a Panasonic inverter AC in the other room has a large IDU and it doesn't suffer clogging.
So in your case your Mitsubhishi might suffer the same problem like my Voltas - narrow gap in the IDU.

I fitted a filter available from Amazon on the top of the offending Voltas and it seems to help. It is a pain to replace the filter every couple of months, but then it also reduces the internal cleaning.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 10:28   #7310
BHPian

Quote:
This is inspite of setting the temperature to 18° and blower at full speed. There is no other economy mode or anything that has been set on the remote. This is very frustrating because my non inverter Daikins prior to this would always suffice and we wouldn't feel the need to kickoff our comforters.Is there something i can do to ensure the power saving mode sets in only after the room has reached the desired temperature?
Yes. There is something very easy that you can do. Stop using a blanket in summer heat. Set the AC to a reasonable 25 to 27C and enjoy a comfortable environment while saving electricity.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 10:45   #7311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I fitted a filter available from Amazon on the top of the offending Voltas and it seems to help. It is a pain to replace the filter every couple of months, but then it also reduces the internal cleaning.
What kind of filter is this? Does it impede the air flow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Yes. There is something very easy that you can do. Stop using a blanket in summer heat. Set the AC to a reasonable 25 to 27C and enjoy a comfortable environment while saving electricity.
That is what I do. Set the temperture at 25 and also run the ceiling fan at a mild speed. The wind chill factor cools the room to a comfortable level. In Chennai weather more than the cooling, it is the removal of humidity that makes us comfortable.

Having said that, I find the 1.5 ton inverter split Ac which replaced my old 1 ton Samsung window Ac gives just about the same performance, may be even a bit inferior.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 17:01   #7312
BANNED

I have a Carrier Midea 1 ton split AC. It's very sparsely used - may be at best 5 days in summer for few hours each. It hasn't been used from 2022 summer on now.

Today because of some other maintenance, repair & painting work at my home, I had to remove the AC. I called a mechanic who checked it before dismantling it from the wall. He said the outside fan is not running & said it's probably because the capacitor may have gone weak. He said there are 2 capacitors & it would cost 800 Rs to fix it.

I know nothing about ACs. So 2 questions.

- Does this sound right?

- What would happen if I start the AC without fixing it?
Old 29th March 2023, 17:52   #7313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

I know nothing about ACs. So 2 questions.

- Does this sound right?

- What would happen if I start the AC without fixing it?
If fan does not work the compressor will stop in a few minutes.

Normally if there are two capacitors, then one is for starting and other for running. In either case the fan will not run.

Just start the AC and note whether the compressor and the fan start. If the compressor condensor is blown it will not start.

A good electrician can replace condensors.
Old 3rd April 2023, 10:56   #7314
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

I was looking for a no frill but robust split aircon for one of big room. After lot of deliberation and online research (showrooms and brick mortar shops are just absolute waste of time, energy and gray matter) I zeroed on a model. That said, no website or review page is actually going to put tech specs and/or logic behind why they are recommending a brand or particular model. It took me weeks of research before data, tech spec and common sense all converged together to help me take an informed decision.

Sharing the gist of what I was looking for and why. So just a quick head up in case some of you folks are mulling over which brand or model to buy this summer.

My requirement: 300ish sq ft hall, sun facing with medium intense to short spells of very hot summers. We do see 42-43 for a week but it isn't same as 43 in Delhi when mercury just stays on it for weeks. I wanted something basic, robust, long lasting and efficient that saves electricity bills as well.

Selection and thought behind: Booked a Daikin split 1.5 ton, Model Number FTKF50UV16T.
This is actually a model identification from 2021 and just another run of the mill one of Daikin models. But in 2022 this particular model got hardware update and became 'bigger'. In 2022 and 2023 this 1.5 ton a/c is actually supplied with outdoor unit that otherwise Daikin uses for their 2/3 star fixed speed split a/c but of 1.8 ton.
This particular model is nothing fancy and you don't even get indoor unit to display set temperature. A basic indoor with tiny power indicator is all you get, but it is one of the bigger unit that one see on either a 1.8 or 2 tonn machine. So with bigger (read longer) indoor and bigger outdoor you are getting more sq inch of cooling coil and evaporator; which is mated to a machine that is suppose to work as a true 1.5 ton a/c.

This logic of bigger machine with more efficient hardware gets you a very impressive ISEER rating of 5.8 that no other brand offers as a 1.5 ton machine at any price point and yet power consumption is as low as 668 Units per year as per general testing parameters they are allowed to advertise. Daikin have an inbuilt stabilizer and their PCB have good range of fluctuation tolerance. Only Panasonic beats it by some margin, as Panasonic can go as low as 110V. I was considering Mitsubishi Heavy for almost same spec as Daikin but they just are absolutely insensitive to the market conditions they operate in. Mitsubishi not only have any built in voltage stabilizer but their machines run on a very small band of voltage fluctuation.

Daikin also have 1 ton unit known as FTKF35UV16T in case someone is looking for a smaller machine. For the price both models are firmly in premium range but for the money it sure punches way above than average 5 star split a/c.
HereticHermit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:05   #7315
BHPian

I am looking to get a 1.5T Inverter split A/C for a bedroom of 170 Sq Ft. 2 years back I had got Bluestar 1.5T installed in other bedroom, and had faced an issue that the hole in wall for pipes had to be done on right side of the IDU unit, which actually entered bathroom and then another hole was made in bathroom wall (at ninety degrees) to take the pipes out to ODU. On the other hand, if the hole had been made on the left side of ODU (instead of right) and pipes could have been routed through left side hole, the pipes would have gone directly to outside, needed just one hole in wall. The installation technician said that he cannot route the pipes through a left side hole, and 2 holes were cut in walls.

I am again in same situation again for the new AC. The left side of IDU opens directly in balcony, while the right side of IDU again enters bathroom. Yesterday I went to Croma, and they called up BlueStar and Bluestar support asked for hole on the right side. I am not getting any clarity on possibility of having a left side hole. I do remember one Bluestar technician who had visited for filling gas in botched-up installation and he had said that we could have done with single left side hole in wall.

Another option that I have is to install AC with smaller IDU (for example, Fujitsu General 1.5 ton inverter A/C which is 33 inches in width as compared to 39 inches of BlueStar's IDU width), which would actually make any left or right side hole directly to balcony. Only downsides are: unknown customer support, unknown durability/reliability of General's AC in Indian conditions (power fluctuations) and significantly higher cost of acquisition as compared to BlueStar. I am confused. Please advise.
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:25   #7316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
Only downsides are: unknown customer support, unknown durability/reliability of General's AC in Indian conditions (power fluctuations) and significantly higher cost of acquisition as compared to BlueStar. I am confused. Please advise.
I shifted from 1 ton window ac of Blue Star to 1.5 ton General for the 170 sqft. bedroom and also got a 2 ton split for 220 sqft hall in 2015. Till now support has been good from local dealer, got the ac serviced every 2 years, with gas filled once in both.

And just bought a 2 ton split for the another room (ASGG24CPAA-B).

General's ac [the Thailand version rather than China made(BMW series)] are at the top, they do use Mitsubishi's compressor, but rest is their own and better. They are most widely used in Middle East.
Blackwing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 12:58   #7317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
I am again in same situation again for the new AC. The left side of IDU opens directly in balcony, while the right side of IDU again enters bathroom. Yesterday I went to Croma, and they called up BlueStar and Bluestar support asked for hole on the right side. I am not getting any clarity on possibility of having a left side hole. I do remember one Bluestar technician who had visited for filling gas in botched-up installation and he had said that we could have done with single left side hole in wall.

................. I am confused. Please advise.
In all my LG inverter AC's the pipes can be routed either on the left or right of the IDU. Routing through left side decreases the length of pipes (as they are routed from righ to left in the unit). The AC in my 1st floor bedroom is routed on left side (so that the joints are in the room - easy accessibility while dismantling the condensor), while on the ground floor on the right side.

So I suggest that you speak to the service technitians of Blue Star, and if they refuse just go for the LG 5* unit.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 08:36   #7318
BHPian

Hi All - I’m looking suggestions for good and reliable A/C for installing in 3 rooms.
1. Room size would be 80, 120 & 160 sq.ft.
2. I live in a place where temp is between 30-39 degrees and sea shore is in 1 km. It’s a humid place.
3. Don’t need heating option.

I’m considering multi split A/C with 1 ODU and 3 IDU. Is it advisable?
Reading last few pages from this forum I’m considering LG and O general. Open for other brands as well.
Old 8th April 2023, 09:37   #7319
BHPian

After looking at all options, I have finalized two window AC's. Both fixed speed and looking for the most durable/reliable and resistant to corrosion.
First is a great deal from Haier. 1.5 ton and has a 5 year comprehensive warranty standard. Warranty is the only reason why I am even looking at Haier. Also is quite cheap at under 31k.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac2.jpg
Second is a General window AC, with a single year warranty and a 12k+ price premium. Cons are the price premium and single year warranty.
Thinking of going for the Haier for the 5y warranty, any suggestions guys?
Old 9th April 2023, 06:45   #7320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Second is a General window AC, with a single year warranty and a 12k+ price premium. Cons are the price premium and single year warranty.
You seem to have read the General warranty for their inverter ACs, i.e. 1 year on the whole unit and 10 years on the compressor. On the fixed speed models General gives the same warranty as others, i.e. 1 year comprehensive and 5 years on the compressor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks