Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
Brands and model I am considering
1. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK18YXS2-W6 1.65 ton
2. Daikin FTKF50TV16U 1.5 Ton
3. Mitsubishi Electric MSY-GR10VF

I am inclined toward Daikin as this model is having efficient ISEER rating of 5.8 due to a bigger outdoor unit and nearly 4 feet wide and devoid of tech gimmickry.

Please chip in with your inputs.
If at all you are looking for a non inverter reliable machine: https://www.amazon.in/Ogeneral-ASGA1...%2C201&sr=8-78
Old 16th March 2023, 22:56   #7277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
"Ogeneral"

Sad to see that even Amazon is getting that wrong now.
Old 17th March 2023, 00:34   #7278
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
:If I talk about my personal experience Bluestar has been the best so far with trouble free running for 5 years. This year as I switched it on it just blew stale warm air and I knew what was coming. Worst experience with Carrier. Gas leak in 4th year. Motor replacement and another gas leak in 5th year. By season end another gas leak in 5th year itself. Got Daikin last year but realised that it's no better. Not expecting any Japanese reliability from it for sure.
I am not sure about split ac but I had good run with window ac from gray market with National and O General units imported from UAE. They were better build than any Indian unit in a like to like comparison. All said, today only spending silly money on Thailand units from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is some hope regarding longevity and performence. Rest are all heck jobs. Sad but true.
HereticHermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 00:38   #7279
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
If at all you are looking for a non inverter reliable machine: https://www.amazon.in/Ogeneral-ASGA1...%2C201&sr=8-78
Anup for some more money i can try for a 5 star. The way electricity Co are finding new ways to hoodwinked the regulator and supply code, every passing year, even 5 star rated ac are going to cost dearly.
Old 17th March 2023, 00:49   #7280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"Ogeneral"
Quote:
O General
[Pedant]

The company name is General: there is no O. Actually, it's Fujitsu-General.

But, at a glance, it is an easy mistake to make --- and thus, perhaps not such a clever logo design. But once you see that it is not a letter-O, it's obvious.

[/Pedant]
Old 17th March 2023, 06:21   #7281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
If you live near an open drain then no matter which brand you go for gas leaks start to happen by 4th or 5th year. Post that it becomes an annual affair and maybe twice during a season. Companies are using thinner copper coils leading to their early corrosion. I would be now sticking to brands providing maximum discount or extended comprehensive warranty even if for some extra cash.

Thinking of going back to the coolers.

Got Daikin last year but realised that it's no better. Not expecting any Japanese reliability from it for sure.
I am in the same boat living in an area near Najafgarh drain. I have also tried many brands. I have had same experiences with imported General ac which lasted me 5 - 7 years with gas leak repairs.
One Daikin inverter and one General inverter lasted me two years. Then I switched to ac with long comprehensive warranty. First I bought Hitachi inverters with 3 years warranty and their shelf life is also 5 years. Now for past two years I am using Voltas inverter ac and let's see how long do these last. But Voltas ac are very lightly built and these do not inspire any confidence about their longevity.
Now I have bought a fixed speed Mitsubishi Electric and it's running fine for the past 4 years. It's made in Thailand and claim to have coating on coils keeping in mind open drain conditions of India. I am so impressed with it that this year I installed 6 fixed speed 2 stars Mitsubishi Electric units for a rental unit.
Quote:
All said, today only spending silly money on Thailand units from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is some hope regarding longevity and performence. Rest are all heck jobs. Sad but true.
My thoughts also.
But feedback regarding pricing and service of Mitsubishi Heavy is not good so I tilted towards Mitsubishi Electric and for their claim of coating on coils.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 06:57   #7282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anup for some more money i can try for a 5 star. The way electricity Co are finding new ways to hoodwinked the regulator and supply code, every passing year, even 5 star rated ac are going to cost dearly.
Star ratings are very confusing as they change (drop) every few years.
For example, a split AC purchased in March 2022 with an ISEER value of 4.6 had a 5-star rating. However, on July 01, 2022, the rating automatically changed to 4-star. etc.
There is a compromise that needs to be made for Delhi conditions (very dusty). The closer the fins are on the cooling coils the more easily they get choked with dust & dirt, thereby reducing performance (efficiency).
Achieving higher star ratings has become an end in itself, losing sight of the ground realities of the place where the AC has to do duty.
I consciously avoid 5 star ACs due to the fact they need their cooling coils (condenser only) cleaned many times each season. Not practical, for me at least.

An AC working with partially clogged fins will consume much more electricity than it would if the fins were clean. You will, in most cases, not even come to know. Who inspects condenser coil fins every day?!
anupmathur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:37   #7283
Distinguished - BHPian

In my experience, the biggest performance reducer is dirty fan blades on the indoor unit. The aerodynamic design of these things seems to be critical, and, as soon there is enough dust, draught diminishes rapidly. I have even seen icing due to this.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 18:12   #7284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In my experience, the biggest performance reducer is dirty fan blades on the indoor unit. The aerodynamic design of these things seems to be critical, and, as soon there is enough dust, draught diminishes rapidly. I have even seen icing due to this.
Actually, in Delhi it is the dust accumulating on the fins of IDU.

Of the 5 AC's that I have, the one in my bedroom runs the most and accumulates dust the fastest. To the extent that I get it "pressure water" cleaned in situ once a year, and cleaned after dismantling the IDU once a year. The amount of muck coming out after each wash is to be seen to be believed.

The problem of dust accumulating in the fins is solely due to finer fin spacing, which is done to increase the thermal efficiency. AC's manufactured a decade or so had wider spacing (hence lower efficiency), but they rarely accumulated the dust.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-rsc_4812.jpg
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 00:49   #7285
BANNED

Anup, ISEER rating efficiency is a statutory demand with which they have to comply with but technology cannot keep up with government demand beyond a certain point. It is toss up between compliance and maintenance so they choose compliance over consumer expectations.
However few rare instances keep both happy. Case in point is Daikin Ftkf50uv16t is a unit of huge proportions for a 1.5 ton unit and both outdoor and internal units combined have almost 20% more surface/fins for better efficiency but trouble is they don't really go out and tell customer about products and leave us alone to figure out what is what on their websites. Average consumer is not willing to pay more for premium products and one sheep follow other. Combined result is that we get what we pay for.
Paying for obscure premium products that are not normally in stock at shops is bitter pill some have to swallow.
Old 18th March 2023, 22:38   #7286

Quote:
I am not sure about split ac but I had good run with window ac from gray market with National and O General units imported from UAE. They were better build than any Indian unit in a like to like comparison.
Agree , they don’t make them like that anymore. One of our bedrooms has a 2T grey market O General window AC purchased in the late 90s. It’s still running strong with minimum maintenance all these years.
Old 19th March 2023, 00:07   #7287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyDriver View Post
Agree , they don’t make them like that anymore. One of our bedrooms has a 2T grey market O General window AC purchased in the late 90s. It’s still running strong with minimum maintenance all these years.
I had same 2T unit from Fujitsu and in all 15 year it was with me it just had a power wash every second year and there was never a gas leak. It wasn't broke when I gave it to someone and two skinny boys almost went down toppling with unit. I checked and it was a 62 kilo unit!!
Today I don't know any make of windows a/c 2T unit weighing this much. Before Fujitsu we had National unit that was almost the same build.
Old 19th March 2023, 06:33   #7288
BHPian

Recently, in Pune we changed our bedroom 7 year old Daikin 1.5 ton inverter R32 split Ac with the same brand.
Reason for change was the cooling was affected. My trusted Ac mechanic did servicing, but the cooling was not good. after a couple of days the mechanic rechecked and consulting with senior engineers zeroed the problem to the PCB and sensors not working properly and quoted 12.5K for replacement with no warranty.
As per my Mechanic "Off late a lot of Inverter Ac's due to the complicated Pcb and various sensors, were going Kaput due to high voltage, and all new inverter Ac installations were suggested to have voltage stabilizer"
With no warranty on the Pcb repair and 7 years age of the Ac, we decided to get a new one which has warranty. Yes, I did get a V Guard Stabilizer.
Similar problem happened with our 2 Year old 660 lit Lg Invertor Refrigerator, couple of months ago, when the touch pad and Pcb had to be changed due to high voltage fluctuation.
Anyone had similar experience??
Happysmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 13:21   #7289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
As per my Mechanic "Off late a lot of Inverter Ac's due to the complicated Pcb and various sensors, were going Kaput due to high voltage, and all new inverter Ac installations were suggested to have voltage stabilizer"
With no warranty on the Pcb repair and 7 years age of the Ac, we decided to get a new one which has warranty. Yes, I did get a V Guard Stabilizer.
I too would like to know the correct solution to this 'voltage' problem. Inverter AC manufacturers claim that ACs do not need stabilizers and these ACs can operate in a wide range of voltages.
Now in Delhi I have TPDDL electric connections and I trust them to maintain a stable good voltage.
Also our most other appliances and equipments work fine without volgate stabilizers like washing machine, dishwasher, espresso machine etc.
Also I have bad experiences with voltage stabilizers as these stabilizers themselves go bad after few years and often times this fault gets noticed in the last after the AC mechanic has exhausted his all other troubleshooting tricks.

It is my conclusion that Inverter ACs are not worth the savings they claim as these will not last as long as fixed speed ACs.
Old 19th March 2023, 15:12   #7290
BHPian

Has anyone used Solar ACs? I came across this company that manufactures it and wanted feedback from anyone who has used it before investing in it.

https://www.nexussolarenergy.in/prod...GE-EXTRA-Csnw9

https://kenbrooksolar.com/solar-ac/h...ng-price-india

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks