Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 10:51   #4666
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

The Daikin inverter AC used to come from Thailand and those machines were excellent. We have one.

In general it is not the AC but the service backup which determines you happiness. So I will always recommend buying the brand which has the best after sales service in your area.
Old 29th April 2016, 11:46   #4667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The Daikin inverter AC used to come from Thailand and those machines were excellent. We have one.
Not all the models are imported. As far as I know, all the models that are displayed in daikin india website (H/P/M series) are manufactured in India and only C series models are imported. This is what was told by one of the engineer when i was inquiring.
Old 29th April 2016, 13:05   #4668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I swear by Daikin after having them for about 5 years in the house. ... ... ...
About goods in general, rather than just ACs or just Daikin, the problem is that when we say something like this, we are talking about the product that was made five years ago. It may or may not be made to the same standard today. Often, the sad answer is that it isn't.

The opposite can also be true. My could-be-wrong-perception is that, for examples, Daikin's reputation on this thread has fallen steeply in the last year or two, whereas LG has risen.
Old 29th April 2016, 17:21   #4669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Daikin's reputation on this thread has fallen steeply in the last year or two, whereas LG has risen.
Agreed. This is not limited to personal experience of forum members alone, it includes family and friends whose purchase was influenced by our know how.
Old 29th April 2016, 17:55   #4670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
About goods in general, rather than just ACs or just Daikin, the problem is that when we say something like this, we are talking about the product that was made five years ago. It may or may not be made to the same standard today. Often, the sad answer is that it isn't.

The opposite can also be true. My could-be-wrong-perception is that, for examples, Daikin's reputation on this thread has fallen steeply in the last year or two, whereas LG has risen.
I fully agree. Some old tech AC bought fifteen years ago are still running strong while newer models of the same company have very bad reputation. This is similar to Mercedes cars. Till they "modernised" and installed loads of electronics the cars would run like dream for decades, where as today they are good, but do not give that kind of trouble free service.

So in a way past reputation has very little bearing with current product's efficacy.
Old 29th April 2016, 23:43   #4671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

They make excellent robust units(especially Mitsubishi) and are backed with sound customer care support in my city
Can you PM me your customer care contact for Mitsubishi in Bangalore? Mitsubishi is one brand which has somewhat better customer support rating if you go through online reviews. I strongly feel the payment should be made only after successful installation of the a/c. What is the point in buying the a/c and staring at the uninstalled unit, profusely sweating, waiting for the elusive install guy to turn up.
Old 30th April 2016, 07:19   #4672
BANNED

@ARoy; Remember Merc changed from Engineering (cost no objective) to penny pinching, ie engineered with cost in mind, a few years ago globally. It was after the first Indian made Mercs (W124?).
Old 30th April 2016, 08:54   #4673
BHPian

Quote:
I fully agree. Some old tech AC bought fifteen years ago are still running strong while newer models of the same company have very bad reputation. This is similar to Mercedes cars. Till they "modernised" and installed loads of electronics the cars would run like dream for decades, where as today they are good, but do not give that kind of trouble free service.lol.

I am running on a 14 yr old LG window unit with no issues other than usual upkeep. 2 yrs back the capacitor konked off and the unit was lying in a semi dismantled state, this year I put life back into it and it's up and running again, somewhere I think the technician botched up with the thermostat and it's not working anymore, so now the cutoff is not happening and the compressor is running all time

While I have called for the technician again to check if the thermostat is spoils or the PCs connection has an issue

But meanwhile the question is, what's the risk of compressor running all the time?

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 30th April 2016, 08:58   #4674
BANNED

I may add an odd point. Remember failures of any gadget follow a Gaussian pattern, so after a decade plus we are in the tail. Whatever the reason these are survivors and may go on for another decade. I remember a relative had a Prestcold Refrigerator which was still going strong after fifty years. Of course the compressor had gone so noisy that you could not sit in the same room and carry out a conversation!
Old 30th April 2016, 11:50   #4675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I am running on a 14 yr old LG window unit with no issues other than usual upkeep. 2 yrs back the capacitor konked off and the unit was lying in a semi dismantled state, this year I put life back into it and it's up and running again, somewhere I think the technician botched up with the thermostat and it's not working anymore, so now the cutoff is not happening and the compressor is running all time

While I have called for the technician again to check if the thermostat is spoils or the PCs connection has an issue

But meanwhile the question is, what's the risk of compressor running all the time?

Compressor running continuously will overheat and the winding may give way. Till you get the thermostat issue solved, switch the AC off every two or three hours for 10 minutes.

If the thermostat cannot be repaired or is very expensive, then you have another option. Install a mechanical thermostat (as used in AC's of yesteryears). They are available in shops that sell AC components. Similar to this
http://www.lingsion.com/project/airc...mostatpfa606s/

The pipe tip is placed infront of the cooling fin, the contacts are in series with the compressor.

Last edited by Aroy : 30th April 2016 at 11:51.
Old 30th April 2016, 12:20   #4676
BHPian

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Compressor running continuously will overheat and the winding may give way. Till you get the thermostat issue solved, switch the AC off every two or three hours for 10 minutes.

If the thermostat cannot be repaired or is very expensive, then you have another option. Install a mechanical thermostat (as used in AC's of yesteryears). They are available in shops that sell AC components. Similar to this
http://www.lingsion.com/project/airc...mostatpfa606s/

The pipe tip is placed infront of the cooling fin, the contacts are in series with the compressor.

Yes That may help, mine has the old copper sensor connecting to the PCB I think

The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461998979.193295.jpg

Last edited by Anupam : 30th April 2016 at 12:22.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:26   #4677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Yes That may help, mine has the old copper sensor connecting to the PCB I think

Attachment 1501856

Normally the sensor is permanently attached to a switch actuated by the diaphragm. Temperature range is selected with the knob. IN AC it cuts off once temperature is less than the set temperature, in heaters it is the opposite. In case the current rating of the switch is low, you can always have a relay in the circuit.
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:47   #4678
Senior - BHPian

How are the Sansui 1 Ton Split ACs? Saw some good deals in Flipkart? ASS?
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:50   #4679
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the Copper and Aluminium coil/condensor coatings from acbachao ?
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:43   #4680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Can you PM me your customer care contact for Mitsubishi in Bangalore? Mitsubishi is one brand which has somewhat better customer support rating if you go through online reviews. I strongly feel the payment should be made only after successful installation of the a/c. What is the point in buying the a/c and staring at the uninstalled unit, profusely sweating, waiting for the elusive install guy to turn up.
Your inbox is full. Hence putting the details here

Here are the details of the Mitsubishi dealer for AC-

Name - Densol Engineering
Location - Vijayanagar(RPC layout)
Ph - 080-2314 8349/2314 6349

They dont have a showroom. It is just a godown kinda outlet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks