Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:04   #4741
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

Got the Air-Con serviced and they did a chemical wash. The amount of grime and dirt that came out can't be described in words. It was astonishing!

The coils, filters, compressor, fan and other components were washed, cleaned and dried. Post that, the AC has worked perfectly, even at the 3-7 PM window it used to earlier shut down on.

Guess it was the immense dirt and grime that caused the issue.
Exactly! all that they were doing was preventing proper heat exchange from the condenser hence the compressor was overheating. Kindly regularly get your machine serviced from now, it saves electricity too.
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:05   #4742
Senior - BHPian

We will be shifting home shortly (going to an own house finally ). I got an 8 year old Whirlpool Window A/C which has never undergone any big maintenance on it.

Considering we won't be reinstalling it anywhere for a reasonable time period, is it advisable to go for a Wet/Chemical wash before the installation?

It is working fine with no issues as such. Just a proactive thought from my end.

Would also need a suggestion for a 1 ton Split A/C. Mind says to go with Whirlpool itself but willing to consider any other reliable alternatives in the same price range.

Thank you!
Old 4th June 2016, 00:07   #4743
BHPian

Hello all, need some help in buying a new 2.0T inverter ac. I was narrowing down on LG since it operates in a wide range when compared to others. But now Lg has 2 inverter models, smart inverter and dual inverters(new model). According to Lg website( which doesn't have good info) smart inverter model uses rotary compressor and operates between 897-6000 watts,but the dual inverter one uses dual rotary compressor and operates only at 6380 watts. How an inverter AC operating like fixed speed? Its confusing and whats the difference between these two? Please help.

Any other brand suggestions are also welcome. Budget is not a problem unless its efficient and service is good
Old 4th June 2016, 06:40   #4744
BANNED

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2016 at 08:22.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th June 2016, 07:40   #4745
Distinguished - BHPian

My friendly neighborhood repair man in Gurgaon is suggesting InveTec - a local brand - for inverter as well as non inverter air-conditioners. I plan to buy four of each type for house nearing completion by next month.

His reasoning is that almost all brands use full kits (or already major components) imported from China. World over the major supplier from there is Gree (www.gree.com & Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gree_Electric)
This being the scenario buy brand that can assure you five year warranty service or do not pay for brand value but look for price discount. All ac's will easily run for five years. Afterwards all will need service support.

Another thing he has recommend is if there is no corrosive fumes (sea breeze etc.) go for copper rather than aluminum radiators. They are repairable (welding brazing etc.) locally whereas aluminum ones need replacement.

Comments.
Old 4th June 2016, 08:13   #4746
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Inverter AC necessary demands earthing so it may become additional expense for many who don't have the earth line in there homes. If you don't have earth the the unit will have floating voltage on metals parts which will cause shocks.
Two points, the old practice of putting a plate at a depth of 8' or less is useless, so effectively you do not get much. I have a solution, connect the Earth to the water line. In my house I have connected it to the pipe of my submersible. About 80' and mostly in water!! Working fantastically.
Old 4th June 2016, 11:54   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Two points, the old practice of putting a plate at a depth of 8' or less is useless, so effectively you do not get much. I have a solution, connect the Earth to the water line. In my house I have connected it to the pipe of my submersible. About 80' and mostly in water!! Working fantastically.
Today in modern buildings, water lines have non metallic portions in the circuit, and to add to that water, at least in our locality does not flow throughout the day. So using water lines as a sure fire earth connections is risky.

Yes if you have a deep hole for bore well and there is a metallic pipe in it, it is fine, but for most of us we have to depend on the traditional metal plate earth. I had a chat with an electrical contractor, and he said that if a pit is properly designed and the plate is surrounded with charcoal-salt mixture, then there is a good contact with "earth". He had an earth resistance meter for testing the earth installations.
Old 4th June 2016, 12:05   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Inverter AC necessary demands earthing so it may become additional expense for many who don't have the earth line in there homes. If you don't have earth the the unit will have floating voltage on metals parts which will cause shocks.
An earth connection is not a special demand of inverter ACs; all appliances ought to be properly earthed. Inverter ACs need an earth connection only as much as any other AC or appliance.
Old 4th June 2016, 12:33   #4749
BHPian

Need to install Four 1.5 T split Air Conditioners in Noida (Sector 45) in a new flat to be given on rent. Value for money prime consideration. Need not be 5 Star / Inverter. Please recommend Brand / Model. And a reliable dealer who will do a good job of installation.
Old 4th June 2016, 12:41   #4750
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
An earth connection is not a special demand of inverter ACs; all appliances ought to be properly earthed. Inverter ACs need an earth connection only as much as any other AC or appliance.
Inverter use it also to sense faults.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 4th June 2016 at 13:03.
Old 4th June 2016, 12:52   #4751
BHPian

Has anybody used Whirlpool ACs? Would appreciate feedback on its long term performance.
Old 4th June 2016, 19:04   #4752
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Today in modern buildings, water lines have non metallic portions in the circuit, and to add to that water, at least in our locality does not flow throughout the day. So using water lines as a sure fire earth connections is risky.

Yes if you have a deep hole for bore well and there is a metallic pipe in it, it is fine, but for most of us we have to depend on the traditional metal plate earth. I had a chat with an electrical contractor, and he said that if a pit is properly designed and the plate is surrounded with charcoal-salt mixture, then there is a good contact with "earth". He had an earth resistance meter for testing the earth installations.
Plate + charcoal & salt is now old hat, since the water table is far lower. So the plate is in dry ground. We had a huge argument with our SE- Electrical when doing the wiring of our Wind Tunnel.

Let me point our what the DGCA now demands for aircraft. A boring of at least 50' depth must be used for the earth. Let me add, that about a decade ago, I was faculty advisor of our telephone exchange (2000 line) and had a hum problem. We had a conventional earth. While checking I got a shock from the earth wire. Bingo, when I took it off it was sparking (that too on a 48V circuit). We ended up putting a pipe to pour water into the earth plate (there was a hole in the ground) in the dry season.

Why despite some bits of plastic the water pipe stuff still works, at least better than the ancient plate - charcoal - salt contraption. There is enough GI pipe round to get you a few feet underground or inside walls, and enough leakage to keep it moist. Most modern high rises do have proper earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Agree, an earth is necessary. What they often rely on is that in any three phase transformer the neutral is earth, so that saves the day. Highly unsafe, but then God is an Indian.
Old 6th June 2016, 13:27   #4753
BHPian

Hi, I need to purchase a 1.5 Ton, 5 Star Window AC

No online resource has been able to give a conclusive indication of a particular brand or model being the best

I had almost shortlisted the Hitachi Summer QC, but I now hear that the technology is a decade old and the reviews aren't very encouraging too

I am not inclined towards any particular brand but would want the AC to be able deliver in the scorching Delhi Heat

Request Suggestions please
Old 6th June 2016, 14:04   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Inverter AC or no AC, every house must have electrical earthing. It is a safety issue. It is a must especially when using an appliance with a metallic body: like an electric iron, computer CPU, etc.
Old 6th June 2016, 15:03   #4755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Hi, I need to purchase a 1.5 Ton, 5 Star Window AC

No online resource has been able to give a conclusive indication of a particular brand or model being the best

I had almost shortlisted the Hitachi Summer QC, but I now hear that the technology is a decade old and the reviews aren't very encouraging too

I am not inclined towards any particular brand but would want the AC to be able deliver in the scorching Delhi Heat

Request Suggestions please
I have no personal experience with 5* window a/c. But I do have a 1.5 ton carrier window a/c lying around somewhere.

Recently I had decided to go in for a 5* window a/c and found out that Blue Star was the quietest of the lot. And then there is the Fujitsu General 2* window a/c which is the coolest of the lot. You can take your pick.

Most Viewed