Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 17:47   #4891
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Hi Guys,

Yesterday late evening suddenly my Hitachi Kashikoi 5400i 2 tonnes split Ac stopped cooling and shows all lights blinking on the indoor unit. I switched off from remote and once through main switch but all in vein. I even checked the outdoor unit and was not running, which means compressor was not on.
Today I called the engineer and shockingly when he switched on the AC, it was working fine. He checked all the connections of indoor and outdoor where-ever possible but could not find the problem. I even showed him the video but could not make out the problem and now AC is working fine.
I just want to know, is their anyone who has faced the similar problem earlier or who knows the code of these indoor unit light blinking?
Attaching the link to the video I made.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4xx1vy
Once when water seeped into the control panel lights started blinking randomly. The AC switched on, but none of the settings could be changed. Stopped after a few hours.

Or it could be a low voltage problem. Otherwise it is just one of those gremlins you have to live with.
Old 18th October 2016, 18:13   #4892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
This happened to my Daikin because the outlet drip pipe was clogged and was improperly placed. The water runoff was not happening due to blockage of the pipe by insects and dirt entering it on the other end....
The area to investigate is the junction where the indoor unit connects to the outdoor unit through the hole in the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Same thing happened to my Hitachi. Got the service man to take the water outlet pipe out and found a lot of dirt/mud inside which had constricted the passage. Cleaned the whole pipe line and replaced the longer pipe running outside with a larger diameter pipe. No more problems for the last two years....

Last but not the least clean the filters every week. That will prevent dirt penetrating the filter and clogging the water outlet.
Thanks diyguy Sir and Aroy Sir.
I have a contract with Vivek Home Service and they send poorly trained 'technicians'. I have asked them many times to change the downward pipe to no avail. I will have to get someone else to do this.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:23   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Once when water seeped into the control panel lights started blinking randomly. The AC switched on, but none of the settings could be changed. Stopped after a few hours.

Or it could be a low voltage problem. Otherwise it is just one of those gremlins you have to live with.
In my area there is no voltage problem. The settings can be changed but when lights start blinking, the compressor gets switch off(Outdoor unit). Strange!
In fact I tried to googled to understand the error codes of lights blinking but no success.
Old 22nd October 2016, 16:24   #4894
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looking at 1T split for my new home. It is around 160 sq ft and the shop guy is recommending 1.2T diakin as the room has a terrace above.

And being in chennai, the voltage fluctuates between 180 and 220v. I have a double boost stabilier. Will it keep the a/c going?

Last edited by bharanidharang : 22nd October 2016 at 16:32. Reason: Added more content
Old 22nd October 2016, 23:04   #4895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Looking at 1T split for my new home. It is around 160 sq ft and the shop guy is recommending 1.2T diakin as the room has a terrace above.
1 ton is too small for this room. 1.5 would provide optimum performance.

Quote:
And being in chennai, the voltage fluctuates between 180 and 220v. I have a double boost stabilier. Will it keep the a/c going?
Depends on the power rating of the stabiliser. A lot also depends on the AC: 3 star AC draws more power than 5 star for same AC capacity. You should consider stabiliser with minimum 2000 VA rating.
Old 22nd October 2016, 23:27   #4896
MHG
BHPian

Has anyone tried the Xiaomi Air Purifier ? I'm thinking of getting one for home use. http://www.mi.com/in/air2/
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:18   #4897
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Has anyone tried the Xiaomi Air Purifier ? I'm thinking of getting one for home use. http://www.mi.com/in/air2/
Should be fine, but at this time I am off any Chinese products.

I know many are Chinese under the skin, but all the same. I may just point out that Haier is a Chinese brank. The Macbook I am writing this on is also Assembled in China.
Old 28th October 2016, 16:25   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
1 ton is too small for this room. 1.5 would provide optimum performance.

Depends on the power rating of the stabiliser. A lot also depends on the AC: 3 star AC draws more power than 5 star for same AC capacity. You should consider stabiliser with minimum 2000 VA rating.

Thanks Guite. Below are the dimensions and rough sketch of the rooms I want to put air conditioners. I am fine for both inverter and non inverter models. What would suit me ideally considering an 8 hr run everyday for 10 months a year

The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1477652098.195504.jpg
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1477652111.157971.jpg
Old 28th October 2016, 16:55   #4899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guite. Below are the dimensions and rough sketch of the rooms I want to put air conditioners. I am fine for both inverter and non inverter models. What would suit me ideally considering an 8 hr run everyday for 10 months a year

Attachment 1571681
Attachment 1571682
8h/d 10 m/y is quite a long duration ~ 2400 hours. Even if you save a few rupees an hour an inverter will pay back very fast. 1.5T inverters will suit your requirement, a 1T will be too small.
Old 28th October 2016, 19:58   #4900
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1571681
Attachment 1571682
For master bedroom 1 ton inverter AC should be fine and for the guest bedroom a 1.5 ton inverter AC will be good.

For 8 hours per day usage inverter ACs will save you substantial money in the long run.

A 1 ton inverter AC after attaining the desired temperature will consume about 200-400 watts per hour, where as a 1.5 ton will consume about 300-500 watts per hour. Half load for 1 ton being roughly 400 watts and for 1.5 ton being about 600 watts.

I have a 12x13 feet room with an open wardrobe of 9x5 feet. I use the AC for 8-10 hours. I use a 1 ton inverter AC from Lloyd for the most part with temperature ranging from 23-25.

What I have noticed is the starting 1st hour the inverter AC will consume less than a unit to get the desired temperature, and then subsequently consume half the unit. As the AC continues to run continuously for more than 4 hours the units consumed can go further down, at a point it consumed about .2 units at night, technically due to cooler temperature as night goes on.
P.S. I used a sub-meter to record the units at hourly basis. And my room is fairly insulated.

So far for a daily 8 hour AC running at temp from 23-25 at night i am consuming about 4-6 units/night.

Last edited by falconion : 28th October 2016 at 19:59. Reason: spelling errors due to sticky keyboard keys
Old 28th October 2016, 21:32   #4901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
For 8 hours per day usage inverter ACs will save you substantial money in the long run.
I would really like to see some proper data from someone that has used an inverter AC for a few years. The problem that I see is that after enjoying 'savings' for a couple of years the inverter AC will suddenly demand maintenance/repair that offsets all savings made to date!
Can someone provide real data and not just expectations based on specifications?
Old 28th October 2016, 22:57   #4902
BHPian

Quote:
P.S. I used a sub-meter to record the units at hourly basis. And my room is fairly insulated.

So far for a daily 8 hour AC running at temp from 23-25 at night i am consuming about 4-6 units/night.
What does this sub meter look like and how is it installed?

Quote:

Attachment 1571681
Attachment 1571682
What is the extension part of master bedroom used for? You may not get cool air distribution there. You can use a pedestal fan to blow cool air there. Considering you have terrace above, 1.5 ton should be ideal; 1 ton may be a bit too small, it will get over worked. Moreover for 8 hour use per day, inverter AC will save you money in the long run.
Old 29th October 2016, 02:36   #4903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I would really like to see some proper data from someone that has used an inverter AC for a few years. The problem that I see is that after enjoying 'savings' for a couple of years the inverter AC will suddenly demand maintenance/repair that offsets all savings made to date!
Can someone provide real data and not just expectations based on specifications?
The main concern that I had come across was for the PCB board in the outdoor units getting damaged due to insects or corrosion due to salty water in atmosphere in certain areas. But these issues were mostly in the older inverter AC models. These days the PCB boards are sealed in a case with hydrophobic and anti-corrosion coating, so this is now not much of a concern. Rest the maintenance is the same to a regular AC.

Quote:

refer to the link Amazon electric sub meter

you can buy these cheap for around 500 or less at a local electric shop. The electrician will connect the phase and neutral to the sub-meter and then from there an output to the AC socket. So when ever you run the AC you can see the unis consumed.
Old 29th October 2016, 05:51   #4904
BHPian

Quote:

What is the extension part of master bedroom used for? You may not get cool air distribution there. You can use a pedestal fan to blow cool air there. Considering you have terrace above, 1.5 ton should be ideal; 1 ton may be a bit too small, it will get over worked. Moreover for 8 hour use per day, inverter AC will save you money in the long run.
There is a washing machine placed in the extension part. I don't want cooling in there but I presume the 1 ton AC will over work to cool it as well.

Quote:
For master bedroom 1 ton inverter AC should be fine and for the guest bedroom a 1.5 ton inverter AC will be good.

A 1 ton inverter AC after attaining the desired temperature will consume about 200-400 watts per hour, where as a 1.5 ton will consume about 300-500 watts per hour. Half load for 1 ton being roughly 400 watts and for 1.5 ton being about 600 watts.

I have a 12x13 feet room with an open wardrobe of 9x5 feet. I use the AC for 8-10 hours. I use a 1 ton inverter AC from Lloyd for the most part with temperature ranging from 23-25.

What I have noticed is the starting 1st hour the inverter AC will consume less than a unit to get the desired temperature, and then subsequently consume half the unit. As the AC continues to run continuously for more than 4 hours the units consumed can go further down, at a point it consumed about .2 units at night, technically due to cooler temperature as night goes on.

Forgot to mention that the guest bedroom usage would be around 150 days a year which would translate to 1200 hrs approx. Presume I would be better off with a non inverter split AC
Old 29th October 2016, 15:51   #4905
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention that the guest bedroom usage would be around 150 days a year which would translate to 1200 hrs approx. Presume I would be better off with a non inverter split AC
Some of the AC models have a function called follow me or ifeel. In this mode there is a temperature sensor inside the remote which will relay it to the AC and control the temperature accordingly. You can keep the remote next to your bed and once that area is cooled it will slow down. And if you are still concerned about the AC over working 1.5 ton should suffice.

Even if the AC in the guest room will be used less frequently you will be better off with an inverter AC incase you feel like upgrading later on you will not get a good resale value.

It would be better if you purchased one 1.5 ton inverter AC first for your master bedroom and see how it works before purchasing the one for the guest room.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks