Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2016, 13:22   #4771
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The 18 degree setting cannot be disturbed.....would like to but that is son's room
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
That is probably ensuring that the compressor never cuts off or runs at max capacity throughout. What is the temperature attained in the room?
What temperature do you or your son actually want in that room? If you have not underspecified the AC then just set that temperature and the AC will maintain it. Otherwise, you are just asking the AC to do the impossible and it will always run at full power.

If the answer is that your son actually wants to sleep <20C, then, none of my business, but it is my suggestion that you increase it little by little --- or tell your young lad to move to Europe! Too much cold also means too much dry: this is an un-informed, non-medical opinion, but it is not good for us. Feel free to ignore my unasked opinion!
Old 18th June 2016, 15:28   #4772
Distinguished - BHPian

It's "imported" Daikin 1.5T and room becomes chilly by the morning. Just the way he likes it.....never mind the dad ranting about power bill. Problem is instant gratification does not work for air conditioner and it takes it's own time to cool especially considering the wilting heat in Delhi.
Old 18th June 2016, 16:07   #4773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Problem is instant gratification does not work for air conditioner and it takes it's own time to cool especially considering the wilting heat in Delhi.
Indeed. It cools just as fast if set to 24 as it does if set to 18. Somehow my wife can't grasp this. Result is that it gets forgotten and AC is left on for hours trying to achieve a temperature that it can't achieve (well, maybe when it was new, but not now).

I'm unclear whether you went for inverter model or not. With an inverter, it is even more important to get people to understand thermostats and using them wisely --- otherwise it might just as well only have an on/off switch, and the inverter technology is wasted. More money down the drain with the power bill!

Inverter ACs are more comfortable, due to there being much less fluctuation of both temperature and humidity. I'm not sure of this, but my theory is that an inverter model will gave the same comfort when set to a degree or two higher than a non-inverter.

Unless, of course, people really want the feeling at the lowest point of the temperature wave, in which case it might have to be set lower
Old 18th June 2016, 16:55   #4774
BANNED

With Inverter ACs there is some impact of the thermostat setting on the cooling. The system tries to asymptote to the set point, so as you get close to it the cooling is reduced.
Old 18th June 2016, 23:29   #4775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
noun: asymptote; plural noun: asymptotes

a straight line that continually approaches a given curve but does not meet it at any finite distance.
I think I concede defeat on that word! Am I getting close if I understand you as saying that it does less work when it is nearly there?
Old 19th June 2016, 06:55   #4776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think I concede defeat on that word! Am I getting close if I understand you as saying that it does less work when it is nearly there?
Ha ha, you understand the meaning but 'asymptote' is not the best word to describe the working of an inverter AC. This makes it seem that the compressor works less and less as the set point is approached. In fact the set point is the goal and the compressor modulates its speed to stay as close to the set point as possible. It reduces its speed if the temperature goes below the set point and then increases speed if the temperature rises above the set point. The set point is the average value to be attained with minimal fluctuation of temperature.
Old 19th June 2016, 07:44   #4777
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes my understanding is also approaching asymptoticly close to truth about inverter a/c......thanks for enhancing vocabulary.

Question to guru's is there any plug in (15A type) watt meter available in the market? Wanted to see what actual watts are being consumed. Links would be appreciated though Google search starts after this
Old 19th June 2016, 07:50   #4778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question to guru's is there any plug in (15A type) watt meter available in the market? Wanted to see what actual watts are being consumed. ...
Here you are: http://www.amazon.in/Digital-Micro-M...a-c97210464b0a
Old 19th June 2016, 08:03   #4779
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Anup ji.....but this is for max 10A current. I think will need 15A one. What do you think

And also Indian type plug and socket

Was looking through http://www.amazon.in/gp/p13n-mobile/...0also%20viewed

Last edited by sudev : 19th June 2016 at 08:08.
Old 19th June 2016, 08:27   #4780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Is this the setting you use to sleep as well? .
Yes , 28-29 degrees C provides me the relief that I need. More than the temperature , it is humidity control that keeps one comfortable.
Old 19th June 2016, 09:01   #4781
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anup ji.....but this is for max 10A current. I think will need 15A one.
I built this by purchasing the energy meter from aliexpress and the rest here.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466307088.245475.jpg
Old 19th June 2016, 10:07   #4782
BANNED

Colloquially: Asymptote means it tries to approach the set point and not to go over. So naturally as we approach very close the cooling is reduced. Then we oscillate (in a narrow band) around the setpoint.
Old 19th June 2016, 10:21   #4783
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting diyguy....can you list bill of materials? Seems the way to go.
Old 19th June 2016, 10:26   #4784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Colloquially: Asymptote means it tries to approach the set point and not to go over. So naturally as we approach very close the cooling is reduced. Then we oscillate (in a narrow band) around the setpoint.
Yes, in a past avaatar, used to look out for temperature controllers for molding machines that give best performance. The ideal ones did not wait to the setpoint but anticipated it and keep switching heaters on and off. Later on we converted the shop to thermal oil heating and flow controllers were tried to keep temperature within very narrow band to get good plastic molded products.
Old 19th June 2016, 11:56   #4785
BHPian

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Interesting diyguy....can you list bill of materials? Seems the way to go.
Very simple, need a dual pole metal clad plug and socket with cabinet, energy meter and cable. I wanted a sleeve for the power cable to prevent pull on cable but couldn't find that and the cable was too fat for me to be able to knot it. The second image shows the hole through which the cable exits the case and the third is the kind of sleeve I would have liked to get. The other thing I considers was to have two female sockets in this cabinet so that I don't need to take a cable out of the box but then kept it simple to do the job..
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466317510.675829.jpg
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466317527.697872.jpgThe home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466317540.432307.jpg

Last edited by diyguy : 19th June 2016 at 12:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks