Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 20:12   #4951
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Update : The AC which had conked of last week has a leak from the condenser so that will have to be replaced along with gas. So 16k for condenser + 3k for gas and 1.5k for the testing.

And day before yesterday my other regularly used Sharp inverter also failed

Managed to get a number for a higher up in the tech dept of Sharp in Delhi and gave him a call explaining the situation and previous experiences. He was polite, patient and understanding and asked me to log a complaint for the 2nd AC as well and get it checked out and he will see if he can help me out. Hopefully something works out from this as I got a call from the local Sharp technical head who was also quite polite and said he will have a talk with the SC after my 2nd Ac is checked out.
Hopefully something good comes of this.

I also got in touch with a Multi brand AC dealer cum service and repair guy who was well recommended in my friends circle on possible solutions. He too was once again great to talk too and very knowledgeable and helpful, just as my friends have mentioned and he explained to me the frankly what he can and cant do wrt servicing and repairing Sharp ACs and spare parts. He has mentioned that he can replace the Alu Condenser with a Copper one and is sending me a quotation for the job. I am considering this option if the price is around the same or lesser than Sharp and thinking of just trying it out to get a feel of this guy.

Suggestions welcome
Old 24th January 2017, 12:21   #4952
BHPian

I seem to be having problems galore with my ACs these days. We have a Voltas 1.5 ton Windows Ac which barely worked for about 4.5 years and now has issues. Its compressor starts cutting off in high ambient temperatures. It was diagnosed to failing fins on the condenser coil. Somehow this is happening with sickening regularity in this place. Every windows AC lasts for about 5 years and the same problem occurs. It doesn't happen with other Split units.

First unit was an imported WestingHouse which lasted for 12 years, then Samsung that lasted for 5 years and now Voltas. It is obviously poor quality of components.
I can't go for a Split unit as the hole in the wall would call for expensive masonry work.

What are the best brands using Cu coils ?
Old 24th January 2017, 15:38   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I seem to be having problems galore with my ACs these days. We have a Voltas 1.5 ton Windows Ac which barely worked for about 4.5 years and now has issues. Its compressor starts cutting off in high ambient temperatures. It was diagnosed to failing fins on the condenser coil. Somehow this is happening with sickening regularity in this place. Every windows AC lasts for about 5 years and the same problem occurs. It doesn't happen with other Split units.

First unit was an imported WestingHouse which lasted for 12 years, then Samsung that lasted for 5 years and now Voltas. It is obviously poor quality of components.
I can't go for a Split unit as the hole in the wall would call for expensive masonry work.

What are the best brands using Cu coils ?
The problem with modern AC condensers is that they are spaced very close to increase thermal efficiency, but in our dusty and pollution laden atmosphere the closely spaced fins soon clog up, reducing efficiency drastically leading to premature failure. Most of the split units have a larger ODU condenser, hence lower rates of failure.

In your case I would suggest that you get hold of an assembler who will assemble a window unit with old spec condensers (basically wider spacing, lower efficiency). In case you can do without electronics, get one which is purely mechanical - thermostat, fan control and louvers. That will last as long till the compressor is worn out.
Old 24th January 2017, 16:11   #4954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The problem with modern AC condensers is that they are spaced very close to increase thermal efficiency, but in our dusty and pollution laden atmosphere the closely spaced fins soon clog up, reducing efficiency drastically leading to premature failure. Most of the split units have a larger ODU condenser, hence lower rates of failure.

In your case I would suggest that you get hold of an assembler who will assemble a window unit with old spec condensers (basically wider spacing, lower efficiency). In case you can do without electronics, get one which is purely mechanical - thermostat, fan control and louvers. That will last as long till the compressor is worn out.
Thanks again Aroy Sir. Always spot on.
Whether it is UPS or AC, your experience and knowledge is quite impressive. What's more you are always willing to share your extensive knowledge. Really commendable.

That explains why splits last longer than Window type ACs.

These days it is difficult to find a reliable service technician for the ACs - leave alone an assembler in Madras. Before I change this unit. I will ask someone to clean the condenser coils with water and see if it improves the situation.
Old 24th January 2017, 18:04   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thanks again Aroy Sir. Always spot on. .......

These days it is difficult to find a reliable service technician for the ACs - leave alone an assembler in Madras. Before I change this unit. I will ask someone to clean the condenser coils with water and see if it improves the situation.
There is a condenser flush used by my AC mechanic. You can try it.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-gsc_2951.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-gsc_2952.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-gsc_2954.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-gsc_2957.jpg

Dilute the chemical as per instruction, pour over the coils and wait for action to begin.

Just ensure that all the chemical is thoroughly washed out
Old 25th January 2017, 09:54   #4956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There is a condenser flush used by my AC mechanic. You can try it.

Dilute the chemical as per instruction, pour over the coils and wait for action to begin.

Just ensure that all the chemical is thoroughly washed out
Thanks a lot Aroy Sir. Really appreciate this.
I will buy this and ask the moron who comes to service the unit to clean using this liquid.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:14   #4957
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,

Has anyone come across this new thing called vaayu ?

https://yourstory.com/2016/03/vaayu-hybrid-chiller/
Old 25th February 2017, 09:13   #4958
Senior - BHPian

Need a new 1.5 ton 5 star split for my bedroom.
Checked Daikin and Hitachi. As per sales guy Daikin uses R32 gas and Hitachi R22. He says Hitachi will cool better and their service backup is also better in our area. Daikin costs 41k and Hitachi 40k. 1500 for installation, 750 for stand and 2500 for stabilizer. Now my questions are -
1. Which is better Daikin or Hitachi?
2. Is R32 better than R22?
3. Are the above mentioned rates in line with market rates?
Please do let me know.
Old 25th February 2017, 09:29   #4959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Checked Daikin and Hitachi. As per sales guy Daikin uses R32 gas and Hitachi R22. He says Hitachi will cool better and their service backup is also better in our area. Daikin costs 41k and Hitachi 40k. 1500 for installation, 750 for stand and 2500 for stabilizer. Now my questions are -
Please do let me know.
We replaced Hitachi with Daikin last year, so I guess I can compare both of them to some extent.

1. Cooling efficiency-Hitachi cools better. But daikin also does the job. Only it feels a wee bit less powerful.

2. Noise-Daikin wins hands down. Its as silent as a new ceiling fan.

3. Indeed Daikin uses R32, compared to R22 in Hitachi.

Here in Ranchi, aftersales of Daikin is much much superior to Hitachi.

But, the best AC I have experienced till date remains the General. It feels like a freezer, and even in the worst of summers, it keeps you chilled. It is expensive I agree, but then it delivers too. Daikin and Hitachi of similar capacity don't stand a chance in front of General. Even though we bought Daikin last year and have no complains, for any future AC purchases, it will be General for sure.
Old 25th February 2017, 09:53   #4960
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Please do let me know.
R22 is the old Freon which is being outlawed. R32 is Daikin's take on R401a. Basically the same juice without the anti combustion content. If the difference is only 1k, then I know what I am getting. Go for the Daikin.

By and large Daikin ASS is superior the Hitachi. You may take a dekko at General. Make sure you get the new refrigerant R401a or equivalent. General is also excellent.

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th February 2017 at 09:56.
Old 25th February 2017, 15:45   #4961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
We replaced Hitachi with Daikin last year, so I guess I can compare both of them to some extent.

1. Cooling efficiency-Hitachi cools better. But daikin also does the job. Only it feels a wee bit less powerful.

2. Noise-Daikin wins hands down. Its as silent as a new ceiling fan.

3. Indeed Daikin uses R32, compared to R22 in Hitachi.

Here in Ranchi, aftersales of Daikin is much much superior to Hitachi.

But, the best AC I have experienced till date remains the General. It feels like a freezer, and even in the worst of summers, it keeps you chilled. It is expensive I agree, but then it delivers too. Daikin and Hitachi of similar capacity don't stand a chance in front of General. Even though we bought Daikin last year and have no complains, for any future AC purchases, it will be General for sure.
Thank you. General is 15k expensive than both so out of question otherwise it was my first preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
R22 is the old Freon which is being outlawed. R32 is Daikin's take on R401a. Basically the same juice without the anti combustion content. If the difference is only 1k, then I know what I am getting. Go for the Daikin.

By and large Daikin ASS is superior the Hitachi. You may take a dekko at General. Make sure you get the new refrigerant R401a or equivalent. General is also excellent.
Like I mentioned General is out of budget. Seems like Daikin is a better buy then. Also, any idea about the warranty on compressors for both these Ac's?
Old 25th February 2017, 17:20   #4962
BANNED

I guess it should be five years. I have both a Daikin Split Inverter and a Hitachi 5* Window. The only ussue so far I have had have been, Gas Leakage in the Daikin, it was refilled under warranty and fan motor burnouts in both. Most probably caused by BAD servicing, too much water used in the motor.
Old 26th February 2017, 00:39   #4963
BHPian

In need of a 1 ton AC for my bedroom with west facing balcony. Would be mostly used only during 4 months of summer but planning inverter series.
It's top floor.

My basic requirements are -
1. Buy Inverter. [Saves precious power and has environmental benefits]
2. R32 [as this the future]
3. Temp requirement 24-26℃
4. 1 ton as I don't like chill but pleasant and cool temperature and it will help my budget as well.

My dilemma -

1. The AC piping is already done while doing the interiors with Daikin as the preference, but the stupid retailer did it for R22. The location of the pipe is done based on Daikin back Frame. I got to know that R32 has different piping standard while installing in parents bedroom. My bedroom piping is done such that if I need to remove, I will have to break the wooden frame which hosts curtain holders. This will need me to involve carpenter and also get repainting done. [At least INR 7 to 10k and the interior finish will take a hit].

Had taken some expert advise from independent installer and was told the indoor and outdoor exposed piping could be cut and welded with the recommended pipe for Daikin R32. This way just the pipe that travels from inside the wooden frame would remain with bigger diameter which should not cause any issue with the pressure as remaining welded piping would take care of it.

2. My parents bedroom has R32 Daikin 1 ton non inverter, piping changed as per requirement during installation, feels inefficient and had some issues with product quality which the company denies and has made a stand that the product has no issues.

I searched and couldn't find any other brand offering R32.

Reviews here in forum recommend Daikin hands down.

My question -

1. Is there not any other brand offering R32 with similar or better quality then Daikin and at similar price point or lower.

2. If no, and Daikin is the only choice, will the expert advise from independent installer as stated above, be okay and not cause any performance issue due to the middle patch of pipe being of higher diameter post cut and weld?

Attaching the picture.

Thanks,
tush
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1488049615384.jpg  

Old 26th February 2017, 02:13   #4964
Senior - BHPian

At the outset I hope & pray that God saves us from expert installers who can not only "weld" copper tubes and that too of different gauges & yet ensure optimum performance

Since you already have issues with Daikin why do you want to sink more money in to the brand.

The reviews are certainly not biased towards Daikin and there are others with R32 machines. Off the top of my head I recall Mitsubishi and General both offering compressors running this gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Had taken some expert advise from independent installer and was told the indoor and outdoor exposed piping could be cut and welded with the recommended pipe for Daikin R32. .........

2. My parents bedroom has R32 Daikin 1 ton non inverter, piping changed as per requirement during installation, feels inefficient and had some issues with product quality which the company denies and has made a stand that the product has no issues.

I searched and couldn't find any other brand offering R32.

Reviews here in forum recommend Daikin hands down.

My question -

1. Is there not any other brand offering R32 with similar or better quality then Daikin and at similar price point or lower.

Old 26th February 2017, 09:53   #4965
BANNED

@tush; just check the piping specs. basically what is needed with R32/R410a is a thinner line from the gigh pressure side to the unit. In my case it was a early unit, so the piping kit from Daikin was thr old one. The chap had to hard solder the pipes to have then mate with the evaporator couplings. Now we have been using it for three years, so issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks