Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 13:04   #3916
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
For one, it is value for money, a branded 5 Star Split AC for 17.3k was a good deal. As far as the cooling goes, it's really not summer in BLR to pass a judgement.
So finally my wife went for the 1.5 T model of Kenstar, because of the deal available yesterday. What I wanted to ask was what has been your impression after almost a month? I've heard some real bad installation stories, how was it for you? I've got the free installation offer, hope they'll not take it lightly. Also, did you go for a stabiliser? Which one?
Old 6th April 2015, 15:59   #3917
BHPian

Question, my Samsung split AC leaks water inside the room occasionally. One every few days.

Any specific reason and where do I start working on it?
Old 6th April 2015, 16:54   #3918
BHPian

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Question, my Samsung split AC leaks water inside the room occasionally. One every few days.

For me this happened when the outlet pipe was blocked by dirt. Also when there was dirt collected on the coils and filter.
Currently it is happening with ice buildup in one of my acs but this never happened to me before..
Old 6th April 2015, 16:55   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So finally my wife went for the 1.5 T model of Kenstar, because of the deal available yesterday. What I wanted to ask was what has been your impression after almost a month? I've heard some real bad installation stories, how was it for you? I've got the free installation offer, hope they'll not take it lightly. Also, did you go for a stabiliser? Which one?
Last 2 weeks, we have been using the AC 10+hrs daily, the unit works/cools well and really nothing to highlight. No, i did not go for a stabilizer.

Installation- you need to be alert, most of the crews don't look experienced. Request the installation crew to initiate the startup sequence from the remote during powering up the first time.

Last edited by xotiq : 6th April 2015 at 16:58.
Old 6th April 2015, 17:44   #3920
Senior - BHPian

Noob question - are these split AC thingies relatively easy to dismantle and put in? I live in a rented house and with Bangalore becoming unbearably hot even at night, I am seriously considering getting an AC.

If the owner allows it that is! How many holes do they make on the walls during installation? And what about electrical connection?

Have ACs at my parents' but never seen an installation being done, so asking
Old 6th April 2015, 18:07   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Noob question - are these split AC thingies relatively easy to dismantle and put in? I live in a rented house and with Bangalore becoming unbearably hot even at night, I am seriously considering getting an AC.
Installation of a split AC will take upto 2-3 hours of work. The company which installs your AC will take requests for moving the unit if you change houses. When I checked with the guys who installed AC at my place, they told that the companies will charge around Rs 1500 + shipping charges to move the unit. It might take a total of a week to 10 days to uninstall, move the unit and install it at the new place.

Quote:
If the owner allows it that is! How many holes do they make on the walls during installation? And what about electrical connection?
I don't know the electrical term for it, but there is something called as "AH Point". A split AC cannot run from a normal plug point ( something to do with voltages, I was never any good in it) and it requires a higher voltage point. A similar one is required for washing machines to run. Apartments might have one in the bedroom and in case you don't have one, you can always call on an electrician who will be able to get one installed in your bedroom either from an existing point or from your main power box.

During the installation, the technicians will drill a hole to connect the IDU and the ODU which will usually be in the size of a small square box. The hold is usually for the welded copper wires and the pipes. Once the installation is complete, they will usually close the open areas of the hole using a quick dry cement. Apart from this, the technicians will also drill small holes to fix the mounting point of the IDU.

Quote:
Have ACs at my parents' but never seen an installation being done, so asking
We had walls that were over a foot thick which ensured we had to do a lot of cleaning after the installation.
Old 6th April 2015, 18:53   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations on a good technician for General Ac's in bangalore ? After a swing motor failure my AC now rattles and the company hasn't bothered sending anyone over the last few days or replying to mails.

I need someone who can identify what's gone wrong and also help source spares to fix it.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 6th April 2015 at 18:58.
Old 6th April 2015, 19:02   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Installation of a split AC will take upto 2-3 hours of work. The company which installs your AC will take requests for moving the unit if you change houses. When I checked with the guys who installed AC at my place, they told that the companies will charge around Rs 1500 + shipping charges to move the unit. It might take a total of a week to 10 days to uninstall, move the unit and install it at the new place.
Thanks a load for the information! Tomorrow, I talk to the owner and see what can be done. Hopefully he says no and I can save that money
Old 6th April 2015, 21:55   #3924
Distinguished - BHPian

My view is that it is a lot easier to make good after removing a split AC than after removing a window unit. Fitting a window unit ruins the window frame. It can be boarded up, but some landlords might insist you make it how it was. Mine did, and I had a carpenter replace the frame.

I didn't mind, until I saw that the next tennants had put a window AC in that same place!
Old 6th April 2015, 22:33   #3925
BHPian

Window AC's are easier to install and remove if a provision already exists in the window frame. As for a split, depending on the location where you plan the inner unit, a hole in the wall is required for the copper tubes and water outlet. In case you position the inner unit above the window, you could maybe squeeze the tubes through the window frame. In case you happen to be on the ground floor you may also need a grill for the outer unit for security.
Old 7th April 2015, 02:30   #3926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Window AC's are easier to install and remove if a provision already exists in the window frame ...
Ah, yes, that's true! No masonry work, no fixing of stands for outdoor-unit.
Old 7th April 2015, 07:21   #3927
Senior - BHPian

^^ That is why I always prefer them. In my home, one window in every room has a special slot and grille for it. Just remove the glass and the grill, and we are ready to install the unit. Just some blocking work will be required around the unit, since the slot is bigger than the AC.
Old 7th April 2015, 08:31   #3928
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ That is why I always prefer them. In my home, one window in every room has a special slot and grille for it. Just remove the glass and the grill, and we are ready to install the unit. Just some blocking work will be required around the unit, since the slot is bigger than the AC.
I got these done during construction. Only catch is that the opening is normally too big, so has to be packed by up to a couple of inches.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:42   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Last 2 weeks, we have been using the AC 10+hrs daily, the unit works/cools well and really nothing to highlight. No, i did not go for a stabilizer.

Installation- you need to be alert, most of the crews don't look experienced. Request the installation crew to initiate the startup sequence from the remote during powering up the first time.
Ah! Well I guess I'll be watching them over every step. Also, I think I'll have to go for the stabiliser since the area where I stay suffers from crazy power fluctuations. Thanks for your input though.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:51   #3930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Ah! Well I guess I'll be watching them over every step.

One of the main issue is that they mess up the paint during installation and service. One trick I've taught many is to stick a plastic bag under the area of drilling using painters tape to collect the drilled mortar/dust and I keep reminding them not to touch the walls with dirty hands.
The other thing you should do is to not have the wire from the stabilizer to IDU inside the room. This can come from ODU to the IDU via the same hole where the copper pipe is let in. Improves the overall look.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks