Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 17:39   #3781
BHPian

Are all 'blue fin condensers' with copper coils? There's a Panasonic split AC with that specification. I understand PFC (parallel flow condensers) are all aluminium.
Old 5th February 2015, 06:31   #3782
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes: go for an inverter AC. I am enormously impressed. It simply works better, maintaining an even temperature and humidity level. From now on, I will never buy a non-inverter AC again!
I think the best selling point is the maintaining of an even temperature. My traditional Daikins drive me nuts as it is either too cold or not cold enough at different times during the night, that I have to either cover up completely or remove my comforter and shift to a thinner bedsheet that I keep handy nearby. This affects the quality of my sleep and sounds like it might be worthwhile investing that extra 10k or so into an inverter model.
Old 5th February 2015, 11:16   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Sharp 1.5-ton inverter AC about four months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thad; Also Sharp is R401a, another big plus.
Huge thanks gentlemen. Never had thought of SHARP but will now keep Sharp eye on my next visit.

Regards-Sonu
Old 5th February 2015, 16:58   #3784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I think the best selling point is the maintaining of an even temperature. My traditional Daikins drive me nuts as it is either too cold or not cold enough at different times during the night, that I have to either cover up completely or remove my comforter and shift to a thinner bedsheet that I keep handy nearby. This affects the quality of my sleep and sounds like it might be worthwhile investing that extra 10k or so into an inverter model.
With the proviso that my Sharp is yet to be tested by the Chennai summer, I really think that an inverter AC will be a godsend for you. It should make a big difference to your sleep. Worth every paisa of Rs10,000
Old 6th February 2015, 10:45   #3785
BANNED

As compared to Chenni our summers are worse. Sharp has been doing well here. Only crib (from a dealer) is that they are charging much more for the refrigerant that Daikin.
Old 6th February 2015, 18:50   #3786
Distinguished - BHPian

That's interesting, I would have thought that the gas would be "generic."
Old 6th February 2015, 21:19   #3787
BANNED

Quote:
That's interesting, I would have thought that the gas would be "generic."
Yes I agree, but since R401a is relatively a new product local dealers were a bit wary. My Daikin had a small leak and had to be fixed and recharged a year ago, under warranty.
Old 8th February 2015, 20:55   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
With the proviso that my Sharp is yet to be tested by the Chennai summer,
Mine has already seen 2 Chennai summers and no complaints yet. Just ensure to clean your filter regularly and it should serve you well
Old 8th February 2015, 22:14   #3789
BHPian

A query regarding AC installation.What is the right sized copper wire (sq mm) required for taking a connection from the meter a 1668 watt ac ? Do I need to worry about voltage drops (wire length will be 40-50 feet). Is a 15 amp CB enough?

As part of wiring will be exposed, a simple pvc conduit would be enough? Or do I need to do some special sealing for weatherproofing?
Old 9th February 2015, 09:44   #3790
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
A query regarding AC installation.What is the right sized copper wire (sq mm) required for taking a connection from the meter a 1668 watt ac ? Do I need to worry about voltage drops (wire length will be 40-50 feet). Is a 15 amp CB enough?
1668W is about 8A max. I will suggest a 4mm wire. 15A CB is fine. Just make sure the plug (if you are using one) is of a good quality, preferably of a solid brass pin design.
Old 9th February 2015, 20:54   #3791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Mine has already seen 2 Chennai summers and no complaints yet. Just ensure to clean your filter regularly and it should serve you well
Good news.

I must check our purchase date: I'm sure we must be due one of our first-year free services by now.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:17   #3792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We are getting mixed feelings about the Daikin Inverter heat pump models. Do they maintain 24 degrees when outside temp is 13~15 on the AC mode, as the dealer suggests? They seem reasonably priced.

Also in Bangalore, the necessity for heating per se seems somehow diminished. But my fear is the regular Inverter series would not be able to hold a constant sleeping temp, and the kids are light sleepers.
Old 11th February 2015, 14:40   #3793
BANNED

@Juggy; I guess you will almost never need heating in Bangalore. The Inverter types do not oscillate around the set point, but asymptote to it, and then use the power to hold. The temperature fluctuations are imperceptible.
Old 11th February 2015, 15:01   #3794
Distinguished - BHPian

asymptote --- wow, what a word! Thanks!

Quote:
The temperature fluctuations are imperceptible.
Let me repeat that the humidity fluctuations, which, to me, is more important than temperature, are also negligible if not imperceptible.

It's really what AC should always have been like!

We have spent Rs.5,000 on our old main-hall Samsung, fixing leaks and replacing a part or two. Just now, with other things to spend on (like 43,000 for a new solar water heater!) it made better sense than 50,000 on a new, inverter Daikin or General. We'll get another year out of it.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th February 2015 at 15:05.
Old 11th February 2015, 23:39   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Juggy; I guess you will almost never need heating in Bangalore. The Inverter types do not oscillate around the set point, but asymptote to it, and then use the power to hold. The temperature fluctuations are imperceptible.
Thank you. I am after reading your and others comments on this thread, a firm convert on the utility of inverter AC.
I was wondering how the Daikin heat pump works, as it seems to reverse the cycle. So after midnight on a cold Bangalore January night, I reach for the remote and press 'heater' function and it would do what precisely.
In an automated HVAC system I guess the cutover logic is inbuilt, but am unable to comprehend when I would intervene, and what exactly happens during the switchover. Does it take 15 mins, do the valves reverse letting fresh air in? The dealer says although he has this installed at home, he rarely feels the need for it.

Most Viewed