Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 19:57   #3721
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Let me be the first one to congratulate you
Certainly But it it is still in anticipation as yet.

Any thoughts on capacity?
Old 15th September 2014, 20:15   #3722
Senior - BHPian

You are on the right track, so did not add anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Any thoughts on capacity?
Old 15th September 2014, 20:17   #3723
Distinguished - BHPian

So it would be a mistake to be wooed by the good price on the overweight 1.1?
Old 15th September 2014, 20:24   #3724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Inverter is quite efficient even at 50% load, so a slight overcapacity will not be a problem
Old 15th September 2014, 21:32   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Not at all, I did not get into the specifics as either capacity would do the job.
Aroy's post does that and I concur with his opinion. The 1.1 machine will be the better techno-commercial solution given the offered price vis-a-vis the smaller machine.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Inverter is quite efficient even at 50% load, so a slight overcapacity will not be a problem
Old 16th September 2014, 00:25   #3726
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, gentlemen.

The business offering this price is closed today (Tuesday), so we will check a couple of our nearer-to-home resellers tomorrow to see what they offer.

I'm more of a want-it-now shopper than a lowest-price chaser, although a bargain is always attractive. Hopefully it will see enough years of service for the purchase price to quickly loose its relevance anyway.
Old 16th September 2014, 17:55   #3727
Distinguished - BHPian

<Later that day...>

We bought a 1.1-ton Sharp Inverter AC from Girias.

We visited Girias and Vivek. Vivek had quoted 38.5k, including installation, stabiliser and inverter. When they then offered 5k exchange for dead machine I was inclined to sign on the spot, but we kept to our plan and visited Vivek. They were working down from MRP of 40K, rising to 45-plus for all-included, installation by their own engineers, and offering less. Althought Vivek is an old and respected company, we also liked the fact that Girias were offering Sharp installation. That should ensure no warranty quibbles.

It is due in an hour or so; removal of old machine tomorrow morning, new install in the afternoon.

Wish us well!
Old 17th September 2014, 00:45   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
<Later that day...>

We bought a 1.1-ton Sharp Inverter AC from Girias.

It is due in an hour or so; removal of old machine tomorrow morning, new install in the afternoon.

Wish us well!

Good luck with your purchase. I would have purchased from Viveks as I have the bargain genetic defect 😃,
Though I know if I want to save a few thousand I can probably not use the AC for a few weeks 😜
Old 17th September 2014, 12:43   #3729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would have purchased from Viveks as I have the bargain genetic defect ...
So does my wife. Maybe we should have got even more off from Girias! But we just felt happy with their price including the exchange offer of 5K. Our local engineer had offered us 2K for the old machine, so the extra 3k felt like bonus, especially as I see it as depreciated to zero value.

The old machine has just been removed. We are waiting for Sharp now.
Old 18th September 2014, 13:55   #3730
Distinguished - BHPian

Installation and Delivery...

The units were delivered on the evning of the day of purchase, 16th Sept. The installers also rang to say "Call us when it is delivered," but we could not contact the number they gave.

The old unit was removed on morning of the next day,17th. In the afternoon, the installation guy turned up, saying he had only come to inspect the site and would install the next morning. He did not want to install the unit standing on the terrace, and wanted to buy brackets. We also agreed some extra work I wanted to do like running a PVC pipe for the plumbing, where it had previously just run through a hole. We felt a little disappointed that next-day installation was not going to happen, but I felt ok, it gives us time for the mason to do his thing --- and he was able to come within an hour or two.

The installers arrived about 10.30am this morning, 18th, Sharp agents, and worked for about three hours. Everything they did was neat and professional. I was impressed, and enjoyed watching them work. I have never before seen the technique of flaring the pipes for the connections. It was interesting to see the jig and tools they used.

They had a vacuum pump, and this is the first time ever that I have seen AC engineers use one.

The Sharp-supplied copper was just long enough, in fact here was about 2 feet over. I don't think that many people would have to buy more.

Cooling? ---Under Test!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th September 2014 at 13:56.
Old 18th September 2014, 17:43   #3731
BHPian

Requesting all you good folks to share a good reliable AC Service Provider in Bangalore! The outdoor unit makes an horrible noise when it is spinning, wakes up everyone !!

I do not want to call the regular Samsung service (because it is a Samsung AC) they are a bunch of white / Blue Collared Bandits; I have poured money into their low quality products and services and I have absolutely no patience left in me any more to deal with them miserable lot !
Old 18th September 2014, 20:42   #3732
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget Samsung engineers, and go to an AC mechanic in your street or nearby. Our local guy has been nursing our Samsungs for past several years since they were out of warranty. As you might have read a couple of posts back, he told us it was the end of the line for one unit, but otherwise, we have kept them going on a small amount each year.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:11   #3733
BHPian

I'd purchased 1.5 TR and 1 TR Daikin split units for my new flat from Reliance Digital in Oct-12. The 1.5 TR unit is installed in the hall and 1 TR in one of the bedroom. While the 1.5 TR unit is working perfectly, cooling of the 1 TR unit is not satisfactory at all. After multiple complaints, the issue is not resolved. I'm now thinking of replacing this unit with 1.5 TR General. However while researching on this, came to know that R22 (used in my existing Daikin) and R410A (new General) is not compatible. i.e. R410A should not be used in the copper pipes in which R22 was operational. Besides, the copper pipes for the R410A has to be much thicker as the pressure is 1.6 times more. It is difficult to replace the existing piping work as they are concealed.

Is there any alternative ?
Old 30th September 2014, 16:21   #3734
Distinguished - BHPian

Interim report after living with the Sharp 1.1 Inverter for a few weeks...

I suppose whatever previous machine we had lived with, we would have had the same familiarity with its controls and how to set them to achieve just what we wanted. We are still living through some trial and error with this.

The controls are still confusing us, and we wish that at least one button was luminous (in fact I dream of a back-lit AC remote control, but I don't know if anyone makes them). However, it is mostly just fine if, having adjusted the flap setting, one leaves the fan on auto and makes minor adjustments to the temperature.

I like the gentle-cool feature. It points the cool air up to the ceiling, so there is no perceived draught, just a "gentle" cooling. Of course, my wife hates it as she grew up under fans, and would probably sit under one in the Arctic! I can agree that it is only useful after generally cooling the room with moving flap to distribute the cool air.

That initial cooling is quite effective.

I was saying to Mrs G today that the thing, with its microprocessor and inverter mode does indeed have a mind of it own. Old machine: a degree or two down, cooling starts; a degree or two up, cooling stops. This machine thinks about it! It may take a while to respond, and it may do so by raising the fan speed and cooling hard, or just cooling gently.

In all of this, the big success for me, is that, after initial cooling, I can set gentle cool, 25C, and the temperature will not only stay at about 26.5 (my sleeping position is right under the machine: it would be cooler on the other side of the room) and I do not wake up sweaty. With the old machine, I would have to turn the temperature down, cool down and dry off before getting up.

There are two "eco" settings, which progressively limit the maximum power consumption. I have to experiment with these. Really, I should actually measure the current consumed compared with cooling experience --- but that would be a bit like calculating the fuel km/litre of m car, which is something that I just never get around to bothering with <Blush>
Quote:
However while researching on this, came to know that R22 (used in my existing Daikin) and R410A (new General) is not compatible. i.e. R410A should not be used in the copper pipes in which R22 was operational. Besides, the copper pipes for the R410A has to be much thicker as the pressure is 1.6 times more. It is difficult to replace the existing piping work as they are concealed.

Is there any alternative ?
I doubt it, other than going for an older R22 machine. Yes, the piping is different, and the connectors are different, with flared pipe ends, rather than the sealing band (we call it an "olive" in UK plumbing) of the previous generation piping.

The insulation seems very thin too. Just a couple of mm of white stuff, rather than a thick layer of the grey/black pipe lagging of the old system. I suppose it is sufficient!
Old 13th October 2014, 19:48   #3735
BHPian

Hey all,

Long time! Hope everyone is doing well.

Am looking to do away my LG 1 ton window unit and thinking of switching over to a better unit, preferably Japanese. Looking at Hitachi RAW511KUD/KTD and OGeneral OG-12WA4 for the same. I know the market has changed drastically now and so has the technology. Should I stick with a 5 star rated unit? I want to purchase the best, recommends will be mighty appreciated as always.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks