Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 12:42   #3871
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I am from Mumbai and mm looking forward to purchase two 1-1.1 ton invertor split AC for a 120/150 sq. ft. rooms respectively. I am okay with tonnage as the rooms are south facing and don't get direct sunlight in summers. I would also have the outdoor units covered to avoid direct sunlight.

I want to stick to brands having AC expertise viz. Hitachi, General, Daikin, Bluestar and Sharp. Can Panasonic be added to this?

I want to finalize based on quality, service and costs. I had a brilliant hassle-free operation with my current Hitachi window AC. I had this AC since the last 10 years and after the first 3 years, I had stopped servicing it as I was not facing any problem whatsoever. It continued to run like this for 6 more years before there was a minor issue with a fan and I had to take an AMC again. The day the technician started the servicing, the cooling drastically reduced and I am not getting the same performance again and hence am looking for an upgrade.

I would really appreciate if some seniors can give their preference of brands in terms of quality and service. Also, are there any things that I should consider while choosing the models e.g. copper condensor, etc.?
Old 31st March 2015, 14:46   #3872
BANNED

@kalpeshc; Yes, panasonic is good, but not in the same league as the others. I will delete Bluestar from the list. Also, reputation of Hitachi after sales is not great.
Old 31st March 2015, 15:00   #3873
BHPian

So it's between General, Daikin and Sharp. Any particular recommendation between these 3? Also, any popular model among T-BHP members? Have read a lot about Sharp and it seems to be becoming quite popular since the last 1-2 years.

What about spare availability between these 3? Any killer features which makes them stand out?

Sorry for the multiple questions but the thread is too long to find answers and I have just managed to go through 20 odd pages !!
Old 31st March 2015, 18:22   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how much does a split AC weigh (Compressor and indoor unit separately). Hitachi Atom advertises that it weighs just 9 kgs, which I find incredible. Considering other brands weigh four times more.

Would like your take on this.
Old 31st March 2015, 23:31   #3875
Senior - BHPian

refer to the specification of the unit that you are interested in. Weights for both the indoor unit(lighter) and the outdoor unit (much more heavier) will be mentioned clearly. The numbers below make sense in the light of my above statement. I am surprised though that Atom is still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Guys, how much does a split AC weigh (Compressor and indoor unit separately). Hitachi Atom advertises that it weighs just 9 kgs, which I find incredible. Considering other brands weigh four times more.

Would like your take on this.
Old 1st April 2015, 08:54   #3876
Senior - BHPian

Gents, I need some help here to choose from the below 2 options.

1 - LG BSA18IBE

http://www.lgbrandstore.com/in/air-c...ling-only.html

Final Price offered = 48k
Freebies = Installation + Stabilizer.

2 - Daikin FTKP50PRV16

http://www.daikinindia.com/products-...cooling-only-1

Final Price : 52k ( there is scope for further bargaining )
Freebies same as above for the LG

I have never had any issues with LG service, but Daikin has mixed reviews. If indeed I choose Daikin this will be my first ever purchase from them and being an internationally renowned brand has only added to the confusion.

I checked out a few other AC's from Panasonic/Voltas/Samdung(purposely mispelt) which I wasn't keen on. Looked around for Sharp and hardly any dealers who stock them. So need help and I gotto buy it today in the evening.
Old 1st April 2015, 09:06   #3877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Daikin FTKP50PRV16

My two Daikin splits are doing well. Not been too lucky with an LG that I owned in a window form many years ago. Between your two choices I would go for the Daikin. Well established service network and responsive customer support is a plus for it. These are my recent personal experiences.
Old 1st April 2015, 10:35   #3878
BANNED

@rjstyles68; Do you need a stabiliser? I have never used once, and I have had ACs since 1977! Also, if you opt for the LG make sure the condenser and evaporator are Copper. I hope these are R410a / R32 models and not R22.
Old 1st April 2015, 12:41   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My two Daikin splits are doing well. Not been too lucky with an LG that I owned in a window form many years ago. Between your two choices I would go for the Daikin. Well established service network and responsive customer support is a plus for it. These are my recent personal experiences.
Thanks man. I just happened to see a Daikin Service Center at walk-able distance from my apartment . Must be a sign .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rjstyles68; Do you need a stabiliser? I have never used once, and I have had ACs since 1977! Also, if you opt for the LG make sure the condenser and evaporator are Copper. I hope these are R410a / R32 models and not R22.
Yes the Daikin is a R32 and the LG is a R410a as per specs on their respective websites.Also the showroom guys offered to show me the condenser internals in case I needed to verify the copper part of it.

As for the stabilizer, we do have these occasional nasty surges.
Old 1st April 2015, 17:14   #3880
BHPian

A very peculiar query. A good friend wants to get a 1 ton window ac for his residence which is located bang near the coast here in Mumbai. His previous air conditioners haven't survived long enough and need something reliable and trusty for the long run. The main issue being the humidity near the sea and the aircon parts start to rust quickly.

Which one do I recommend him? Told him about Hitachi and OGeneral. Want something with a peace of mind and long term hassle free use. Inputs will be mighty appreciated as always.
Old 1st April 2015, 17:23   #3881
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Hitachi window AC has been horrible. I have had to get the gas filled three times in three years. I had paid Rs. 32K for a 1.5 Ton 5 Star AC ( which is more than what a split A.C with a similar rating cost at that time) with the expectation that I will get years of hasslefree ownership experience. This year I have got a Diakin Split installed to replace the Hitachi. I would suggest that you stay away from Hitachi. Their service is pathetic as well. On the other hand I have got reasonably good service from LG and most surprisingly Videocon.
Old 1st April 2015, 18:47   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
My experience with Hitachi window AC has been horrible. I have had to get the gas filled three times in three years. I had paid Rs. 32K for a 1.5 Ton 5 Star AC ( which is more than what a split A.C with a similar rating cost at that time) with the expectation that I will get years of hasslefree ownership experience. This year I have got a Diakin Split installed to replace the Hitachi. I would suggest that you stay away from Hitachi. Their service is pathetic as well. On the other hand I have got reasonably good service from LG and most surprisingly Videocon.
The last time I heard from someone from Mumbai it was fantastic. The concern here is the rusting. Any inputs on that will be appreciated.
Old 1st April 2015, 19:02   #3883
Team-BHP Support

How is the Kenstar AC? Anyone has any experience? I just now saw a 5 star Kenstar 1 ton AC with free standard installation and 1 year of extended onsite warranty for just about 23k. That has triggered a thought... 23k for a 5 star AC with 2 years warranty is a very good price in my opinion provided those ACs actually cool.
Old 1st April 2015, 22:30   #3884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
The main issue being the humidity near the sea and the aircon parts start to rust quickly.
It'll be the salt in the air as much as the humidity. I wonder if one can spray something on the coil to protect from corrosion?
Old 1st April 2015, 23:03   #3885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It seems the fan motor is the problem. Could not source a new motor. The new 1 Ton units are smaller, so the motors are also slightly smaller in dimension. So they have taken the old motor for coil rewinding. They say it will work, so I gave the go ahead. The alternative is to buy a new A/C.
Motor repaired and re-installed, AC given a thorough "chemical wash" (?) and now working well. Gas recharging was not necessary. The unit is now entering nineth year.

Total damage Rs 5500.00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks