Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2015, 12:33   #3751
BANNED

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would also avoid the lesser brands. There is a reason why premium brands are more expensive. Try to remain within Daikin, Hitachi and LG for split AC in Delhi.
I will add General and Sharp and eliminate LG. LG and Samsung are tier 2 in my view.
Old 18th January 2015, 16:01   #3752
BHPian

My electricity woes are back. Our 3KW V Guard storage water heater just burnt the socket and plug.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421576831.920954.jpg
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421576853.055329.jpg

We have a DB board with MCBs and recently I installed overload protection. It is a rented house. Should I install local protection at the Geyser line level so that this melting of wires and sockets can be avoided? Do I need a RCCB or RCD device at full house level to prevent this? I don't know why the heat in the line didn't trip the MCB on the DB or whether it is even actually meant to?
Old 18th January 2015, 17:13   #3753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My electricity woes are back. Our 3KW V Guard storage water heater just burnt the socket and plug.
Attachment 1330201
Attachment 1330202

We have a DB board with MCBs and recently I installed overload protection. It is a rented house. Should I install local protection at the Geyser line level so that this melting of wires and sockets can be avoided? Do I need a RCCB or RCD device at full house level to prevent this? I don't know why the heat in the line didn't trip the MCB on the DB or whether it is even actually meant to?
The problem is the socket/plug interface. If it is slightly loose, sparks will cause the damage you see. See if you can install the Compton-Greaves metal socket/plug set. That is what we use for all our AC's.

http://www.standardgoldcontrol.com/plug-and-socket.html
http://www.abb.com/product/seitp329/...=us&country=IN
http://www.abb.com/product/seitp329/...=us&country=IN
Old 18th January 2015, 17:36   #3754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will add General and Sharp and eliminate LG. LG and Samsung are tier 2 in my view.
I have good experiences with Daikin - and their track record till quite recently in India is as providers of HVAC for factories. Good, robust and well engineered ACs. Premium price though.
Old 18th January 2015, 21:41   #3755
BANNED

@diyguy; @Aroy is correct. There are many plugs in the market with single piece pins (Northwest & Crabtree to name a couple) of brass. These do not have this problem. I never faced this once I switched to NorthWest. The common ones have two pice pins which screw into one another. Incidentally, NW also have 25A plugs and sockets. The matrix is identical to the 16A but the pins are longer. For the past decade I have not used any plugs except for these two (90%NW) in my house, other than premoulded ones of course.
Old 19th January 2015, 15:11   #3756
BHPian

@sgiitk and @Aroy, thanks for the responses. Is such a device a deterrent and can it prevent loose contact based sparking and potential damage/hazard?
http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informati...t-interrupters
Old 19th January 2015, 16:56   #3757
Senior - BHPian

In our new home, the builder has not provided any arrangement for window AC but has provided requisite 3" hole for split setup.

I recently visited a famous ELECTRONIC store here and they offered VIDEOCON VSD55WV1 (FIVE STAR) for 26.5K.

How is VIDEOCON in AC segment??

Raab rakha.
P.S.: I presently have HITACHI window AC, which is noisy when compressor stops (window shudders) :-)

Last edited by ariesonu : 19th January 2015 at 16:57.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:43   #3758
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
@sgiitk and @Aroy, thanks for the responses. Is such a device a deterrent and can it prevent loose contact based sparking and potential damage/hazard?
What happens the pin and the inside part which are screwed into one another become loose, and then sparking leads to what you have witnessed. Of course with a one piece pin this does not happen and this guards against a lot of problems. As I said since I switched to NW or Crabtree I have had to plug (or socket) failures.
Old 20th January 2015, 13:04   #3759
BANNED

Quote:
@jacksons; I will avoid the second and third tier brands. Also, avoid R22 units.
I wanted to know about the particular AC, not the brand, I am OK with brand.
There is huge saving of up to 10 to 15 thousand rupees on Kenstar 1 ton 5* AC, EER of 3.5 is also ok
Old 20th January 2015, 14:32   #3760
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
In our new home, the builder has not provided any arrangement for window AC but has provided requisite 3" hole for split setup.

I recently visited a famous ELECTRONIC store here and they offered VIDEOCON VSD55WV1 (FIVE STAR) for 26.5K.

How is VIDEOCON in AC segment??
I have two Videocon Window units dating back to 1999-2000. They are still doing good. We also had a Videocon 2T Split. That was not so happy. the compressor (recip) had to be replaced after about 1-1/2 years and I had repeated problems with a temperature sensor. Finally, I replaced the Indoor unit with a Voltas and was happy. Then we replaced the system with a Daikin 2TR R401a unit. After an initial gas leak, during the first year (fixed under warranty) it has been going strong for over three years. There is a massive drop in our electricity bill after thi replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
I wanted to know about the particular AC, not the brand, I am OK with brand.
There is huge saving of up to 10 to 15 thousand rupees on Kenstar 1 ton 5* AC, EER of 3.5 is also ok
I will try and avoid brands like Kenstar. In any case make sure the coils are copper.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:45   #3761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have two Videocon Window units dating back to 1999-2000. They are still doing good. We also had a Videocon 2T Split. That was not so happy. the compressor (recip) had to be replaced after about 1-1/2 years and I had repeated problems with a temperature sensor.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Have found VOLTAS to be quite efficient and as per various net ratings found out that it has the lowest power consumption against other models with similar or even better coolling performance.

Raab rakha.
Old 20th January 2015, 19:45   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Voltas has always been a paper tiger. As I have said earlier it is like buying a lottery, some batches turn out great most others not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Thanks for your suggestion.
Have found VOLTAS to be quite efficient and as per various net ratings found out that it has the lowest power consumption against other models with similar or even better coolling performance.

Raab rakha.
Old 21st January 2015, 11:14   #3763
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Voltas has always been a paper tiger. As I have said earlier it is like buying a lottery, some batches turn out great most others not so much.
I will not be surprised if they are sourcing the units (esp Inverters) from China. I used to be a Voltas fan (I had a B1G!) but then moved on. They were better than many others but by and large were not efficient. Now all of a sudden they have a new range, and the new ones are claiming excellent EER figures!
Old 22nd January 2015, 00:01   #3764
BHPian

All weather ACs have been in the market for quite some time, in Delhi every forthcoming winter is getting unbearable now. OGeneral has launched all weather unit. I'm planning to buy one, can somebody, share their experience and most importantly bill and maintance part.

Does Heater part works on the concept of Oil Heater?
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:58   #3765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
All weather ACs have been in the market for quite some time, in Delhi every forthcoming winter is getting unbearable now. OGeneral has launched all weather unit. I'm planning to buy one, can somebody, share their experience and most importantly bill and maintance part.

Does Heater part works on the concept of Oil Heater?
I do not think so, there will be coil for heating. Better to get oil heater with more functionality

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks