Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 11:40   #3646
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
@OneToughRider

I dint buy the stabilizers, because in Chandigarh, the power supply is quite stable. Also, in Duhai, our house is getting the power supply from the 11000 V mains feeder connected to the separate step down transformer which feeds to only 10 nearby homes.Also, each Stabilizer was costing around 2000-2500 INR.

But, HITACHI is really innovative in providing dual motors in window AC and that too is 5 Star consuming less than 1600 Watts.
You must be knowing better but I think all over India we have this voltage fluctuations problem except in VIP/VVIP areas. We stay in Rohini (Delhi) and all 3 a/c(s) have stabilizers even though we rarely faced erratic voltage supply.
Old 16th June 2014, 14:34   #3647
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
You must be knowing better but I think all over India we have this voltage fluctuations problem except in VIP/VVIP areas.
We have been singularly lucky. I was on IIT Campus from 1977 till 2001. Never had a stabiliser. Now I am in my own home is a colony in the outskirts of Kanpur. Again no stabilisers. Only issue is that at night, esp after a power cut we may get as high as 250V. So I have never bought or used a stabiliser. The latter can by no means be classified as VIP.
Old 16th June 2014, 15:12   #3648
BHPian

I have a 1.5 ton General Window AC purchased in 2005, and has been reasonably good all these years, except for the 2 times when the Gas had to be refilled. The second one was a couple of months back.

Off-late I have noticed that the AC starts automatically runs for sometime and then decides to switch off by itself and this can happen any number of times. I don't think the switching on and off are related though. This did happen a couple of times before the gas fill, but we then thought that we had accidentally switched it on using the remote!! Last night when I switched it on, it switched-off on its own after some time (about 5 mins), and this happened twice. I was wondering if the compressor has conked off, but tried switching on a third time. This time it started and was running fine, though the time taken to cool was much longer.

Would like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem or any clues on what the problem could be?

In Chennai, it been a really bad and unbearable summer this year, and the temperature just does not seem to go down!!
Old 16th June 2014, 16:46   #3649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Can you please tell how much did it cost you? Was installation kit included or has to purchase separate. Is installation by company or dealer?\
In our area near Mumbai inverter, model number I do not recollect, for one ton price was quoted 41k last 39k. Installation piping separate 250 rupees per foot plus additional installation charges 1500. I am inclined towards PHT model instead of PET.
Yes standard kit was included, 2 copper pipes, glove, duster cloth , drain pipe and 4 core wire. I got best deal at 41K. + 1500 installation charge. I raised installation request with Sharp 1800 number and it was handled by some franchise
Old 16th June 2014, 18:34   #3650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Off-late I have noticed that the AC starts automatically runs for sometime and then decides to switch off by itself and this can happen any number of times.

Would like to know if anyone else has had a similar problem or any clues on what the problem could be?

In Chennai, it been a really bad and unbearable summer this year, and the temperature just does not seem to go down!!
We had this trouble in two AC's in home, and it turned out that the AC Line had a earthing trouble which caused some voltage problems, causing the stabilizer to trip every now and then.

And Chennai Heat
Old 16th June 2014, 20:22   #3651
Senior - BHPian

What is the difference between twin motor technology and single motor technology in Hitachi windows ACs. I have one from the QC series which has everything but the twin motor when compared to the TM series.
Old 16th June 2014, 20:42   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What is the difference between twin motor technology and single motor technology in Hitachi windows ACs. I have one from the QC series which has everything but the twin motor when compared to the TM series.
The difference is that, there are two separate motors for the condenser fan(outside) and evaporator fan(inside). Benefit is that the fan of condenser runs at a uniform speed irrespective of speed set by the user unlike in the a/c with a single motor which runs both the fans(double shaft). This helps in improved heat exchange at the back and less vibration I guess.
Old 16th June 2014, 21:27   #3653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
We had this trouble in two AC's in home, and it turned out that the AC Line had a earthing trouble which caused some voltage problems, causing the stabilizer to trip every now and then.

And Chennai Heat
That could explain the AC switching off, but still not able to understand how it could switch on automatically!!
Old 17th June 2014, 00:46   #3654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Its not an inverter AC.

My parents bedroom size is around 125-130 sq ft excluding furniture. With furniture the carpet area is less. This 1 ton R32 Dakin model purchased a month back isn't cooling the room efficiently. If set at 24 during mid afternoon when the outside temp was 37-38, it takes for ever to cool up to 26 forget 24. There is no direct sunlight but its a top floor.

Daikin engineer checked the grill temp of IDU and it comes to around 8°C which he says means the AC is working just fine.

What grill temp does your 1 ton AC show bhpians? Any insight into the same would help me with this concern of cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I think your a/c is working fine. You have top floor (roof facing sun?) and outside is 38 and yet a/c is able to bring it down to 26-27 (about 11 degrees cooler then normal) then a/c is performing good. IMO, use the ceiling fans in day time, in night time it should be cool enough If you want more cool, upgrade to higher model which may not be good in the night and rainy days as it will reduce less moisture and will trip for long time.
Let me correct my own statement. Outside temperature being 36-37. It would take nothing less then 2 hours to even reach at 26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Air conditioning is on room volume, so you cannot exclude furniture from carpet area because there is air volume above the furniture, upto ceiling. If by excluding furniture you have excluded the bed, that will be a huge difference.

So it appears the room is fairly larger than 130 sqft. In addition it is top floor. So 1 ton in under capacity by a huge margin.
The carpet(floor) area measured while there isnt any furniture in the room, its not more then 125-130 sq.ft. The furniture isnt modular type. Its the wall fit Wooden Cupboards and bed, TV unit Furniture. Hence the volume gets reduced, but yes what ever is there in the room adds to the load is I understand.

Yet just another example 15 days back.

Test 1 -

Time = 9:00pm
Room temperature was at 31.3 degrees.(Few rain spells caused the temp to drop)
Powered ON the AC with a setting of 24*C.
Fan mode set to Auto.
It took 50 mins to reach at 24.9 (From hear on consider nothing less then 30 mins to reach 24 or close to 24)

Test - 2
Last Sunday.
Time = 3:05pm
Room temperature - 31.5(it had rained just 30 mins back, hence afternoon was pleasant)
Powered ON the AC with a setting of 24*C.
Fan mode set to Full Speed.
45 mins and we are still at around 24.7 -25*C
This second test appears much better due to good climate followed by rains.

And then you keep waiting to see when it reaches 24. Thats how it keeps taking for ever.
In this entire test didnt see the ODU switching Off even once. It would only if increased the remote temp setting to 26-27 or not unless it reaches the set temperature of 24*C.

Just imagine the plight during afternoons.
Is this normal to take so long during the night hours at 9:00pm? I have been charged premium for a brand like Daikin. This same model wont even work in Delhi heat.

I heard and read in our forum of AC cooling within 20 mins to the desired temp set.

Could anybody share their experience for Daikin R32 - 1 ton - 3 Star model.
Old 17th June 2014, 20:27   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Dont know whether to blame Croma or Blue Star. The expected within 48 hrs installation and demo is yet to come. Calls to Croma has the generic answer. Today for sure and tomorrow for sure.

Will it help if I directly call Blue Star and co-ordinate?
Got tied up with work, so unable to update here.
The very next day the installation did happen. Would say it was top notch. No hassles. The remote is very basic, looks like a cheapo. The outdoor unit is kind of silent, not much sound. Indoor unit is super silent. Like the display and LED. Cools the room super fast than my 4 year old Samsung and that too in this peak summer.
Does frequent shifting of split ACs lessen the cooling factor. My Samsung has been removed and reinstalled 4 times. Cooling is very less. When asked if a gas filling is required, the guys who came for Samsung said a NO.
Old 17th June 2014, 21:09   #3656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
... My Samsung has been removed and reinstalled 4 times. Cooling is very less. When asked if a gas filling is required, the guys who came for Samsung said a NO.
If a top up charge was not done during the shiftings earlier then surely that is what is now required. The gas is trapped in the outdoor unit before shifting but a wee bit is always lost. Four shifting operations would have taken away at least 20% of the gas charge even if done correctly! Some gas is always used/lost to 'purge' the pipes during each shift operation.
Old 19th June 2014, 00:04   #3657
BHPian

Friends I am in dilemma. I have seen Samsung AR12HV5NBWK with EER rating 3.52, Sharp AHXP13PHT with EER rating 4.02 both 1 ton capacity. Later on I also considered (on friend's insistence) General ASGA09JGCA with EER rating 3.57 but with lower 0.75 ton capacity. Friend said 0.75 would give lower electricity bills compared to other two. All are inverter ACs. The price of Samsung and Sharp was 41k which I could negotiate upto 37k and 34.5k respectively. However, in case of Samsung piping was not included unlike Sharp. The price for General was 38k. I am inclined towards Sharp. But my friend fueled my confusion saying that he could get the General for 30k all including installation in gray market. He also informed that 6-7 years back he had installed General from gray market and did not face any issues. Last year he also bought 50 inch Sony LED TV from the same source for 100 k while market price was 1.50k. Samsung has 10 years compressor and 5 year condenser (though website tells 3 years) warranty. Sharp has 5 year compressor warranty but not on condenser.
So friends what do you say? Should I take risk and save some money or play safe and go for Sharp way? I am still inclined towards Sharp as it is VFM though it does not seem to be popular choice presently. Does higher EER means better efficiency resulting into lower electricity bill irrespective of tonnage ? Looking for your opinions please.
Thanks. Sanjay.
Old 19th June 2014, 02:13   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Go with Sharp. For an average Bombay room the 1ton machine is the right size. Sharp has that and better ENergy Efficiency Ratio so lower bills just the way you understand it and then a Sharp will come with it's own install kit, so more savings. Sharp is as good as General if not better and just in case if these machines are inverters then do not buy a grey market product at all.

Quote:
Should I take risk and save some money or play safe and go for Sharp way? I am still inclined towards Sharp as it is VFM though it does not seem to be popular choice presently. Does higher EER means better efficiency resulting into lower electricity bill irrespective of tonnage ? Looking for your opinions please.
Thanks. Sanjay.
Old 19th June 2014, 07:25   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
Friends I am in dilemma. I have seen Samsung AR12HV5NBWK with EER rating 3.52, Sharp AHXP13PHT with EER rating 4.02 both 1 ton capacity. Later on I also considered (on friend's insistence) General ASGA09JGCA with EER rating 3.57 but with lower 0.75 ton capacity. Friend said 0.75 would give lower electricity bills compared to other two. All are inverter ACs. The price of Samsung and Sharp was 41k which I could negotiate upto 37k and 34.5k respectively. However, in case of Samsung piping was not included unlike Sharp. The price for General was 38k. I am inclined towards Sharp. But my friend fueled my confusion saying that he could get the General for 30k all including installation in gray market. He also informed that 6-7 years back he had installed General from gray market and did not face any issues. Last year he also bought 50 inch Sony LED TV from the same source for 100 k while market price was 1.50k. Samsung has 10 years compressor and 5 year condenser (though website tells 3 years) warranty. Sharp has 5 year compressor warranty but not on condenser.
So friends what do you say? Should I take risk and save some money or play safe and go for Sharp way? I am still inclined towards Sharp as it is VFM though it does not seem to be popular choice presently. Does higher EER means better efficiency resulting into lower electricity bill irrespective of tonnage ? Looking for your opinions please.
Thanks. Sanjay.
I went for Sharp recently as I found it to be very efficient(high EER) and good quality VFM product. I had to travel soon after installation and so will post reviews after 2-3 weeks.
Old 19th June 2014, 08:42   #3660
BHPian

I have this peculiar problem in Chennai (All peculiar things with A/C happen at Chennai):

I have stabilizer which could accommodate voltage in the range of 170v ~ 270v (double booster?). During night time, when the voltage is lowest, stabilizer often cuts-off which is fine. But when the output is available, the internal unit switches on and starts blowing air but we get warm air. When I checked outside unit, there is nothing. No fan rotation, no sound of compressor. It just sits there.
However, after few minutes to few hours outdoor unit starts working all of its own when we get cool air. Sometimes outdoor unit never starts for entire night.
Now how would we explain this?
When the stabilizer provides output, it means the required voltage is supplied to the A/c unit. So it should work right? Why wouldn't outdoor unit start?

In the morning, when voltages are much better, there is no problem at all. Right from the beginning, outdoor unit works.

It is clear that something to do with voltage. But before switching to triple booster, I would to make it clear that even when the stabilizer output is on, why the outdoor unit won't start. Otherwise I will end up having two stabilizers with no use

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks