Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2014, 02:10   #3511
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I'm shopping for a split AC for the small bed room. Size 130-150 sq ft. Window faces East but largely shaded by trees. Only prob is I stay on the top floor. AC is only need for 6 hours at night in summers.

The master bedroom is on Carrier for the past 7 years.

With so many choices around could someone point in the right direction.

Top floor would add up to the overall temperature within the room which gets held up by objects in the room hence making it harder for the AC to cool the room faster is what i understand.

If you plan buying R32 Daikin 1 ton 3 star, just check with a few who have as I personally doubt its performance.

Last edited by tush : 14th May 2014 at 02:11. Reason: typo
Old 14th May 2014, 19:59   #3512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Top floor would add up to the overall temperature within the room which gets held up by objects in the room hence making it harder for the AC to cool the room faster is what i understand.

If you plan buying R32 Daikin 1 ton 3 star, just check with a few who have as I personally doubt its performance.
Actually my top floor isn't that bad. My main bed room runs on 0.75T Carrier and its good enough to cool the room. I generally set the room temp between 24-26 and its get very comfortable. Hence I would be even happy with a 0.75T in the smaller bedroom.

Daikin is what a lot of people recommended but I haven't used it before. LG, Samsung, Voltas, Panasonic are the other usual suspects but with so many models its kind of difficult to shortlist. My usage is limited so I m not looking to spend a fortune here.
Old 14th May 2014, 21:09   #3513
Senior - BHPian

Daikin is the cream of the lot but they do charge a premium, same is the case with General and Sanyo. For better techno commercially suitable options look at Panasonic, Sharp & Mitsubishi. Next group would be Whirlpool, Toshiba/Carrier followed by LG, Samsung, Voltas, Fedders, etc etc...

In Bombay a 1 ton machine is good enough for even a 150 sq.ft. Room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Daikin is what a lot of people recommended but I haven't used it before. LG, Samsung, Voltas, Panasonic are the other usual suspects but with so many models its kind of difficult to shortlist. My usage is limited so I m not looking to spend a fortune here.
Old 15th May 2014, 14:23   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
True, one of the reputed AirCon company who themselves use Copper, their personnel did tell us that Aluminium is better and the cooling too gets better for an AC with it. However copper is used due to the above concerns mentioned by Aroy.
That is not entirely correct. For a given mass copper has better heat conductivity and thermal capacity. What that means is that copper will conduct heat faster. Where Aluminum gains is in its cost. It is at least ten times less in cost, hence the move from copper to aluminum in electrical conductor business. Aluminum is also lighter, so for same strength it is even less expensive.

Where copper gains in heat exchangers is
. It has better conductivity, hence the size can be smaller - useful where space is a constraint.
. It is extremely malleable, and has better fatigue strength. So ideal for complicated tubing.
. The oxidized copper still conducts, aluminum forms an insulator on oxidation - bad for electrical contacts.
. With time aluminum flows under pressure, copper does not. Again that means that any screwed connection will come loose. So it has to be properly brazed/welded, unlike copper which can be just screwed tight (and remain so).

On the whole if manufactured in a modern factory, with proper design, aluminum heat exchangers will be less expansive compared to copper, but in harsh environment where there is a lot of vibration and/or chemicals in air, aluminum fails fast, and the joints leak.
Old 20th May 2014, 13:22   #3515
BHPian

We bought a 1.5 Ton 3* Split A/C last week for our room size 12x10 and due to common wall everywhere we will have to place the outdoor unit nearly 10 meters away from the AC Unit. Though Installation is offered for free, they are quoting Rs. 650 per meter, Rs. 1500 for Extra Gas Filling, Rs. 500 for Extra Drain Pipe and Rs. 850 for Outdoor Unit Stand.

This will almost comes to 650x10 = Rs. 6500 + 1500 + 500 + 850 = Rs. 9350 just for the installation.

Bhpians Please help !! Am I taken for a ride here ?
Old 20th May 2014, 13:44   #3516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
This will almost comes to 650x10 = Rs. 6500 + 1500 + 500 + 850 = Rs. 9350 just for the installation.

What brand did you buy? Most AC manufacturers provide a standard length of 3 meters FOC. So u should be paying only for the balance 7 meters. The rates quoted are pretty much the standard these days.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 20th May 2014 at 13:45.
Old 20th May 2014, 13:52   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
What brand did you buy? Most AC manufacturers provide a standard length of 3 meters FOC. The so u should be paying only for the balance 7 meters. The rates quoted pretty much the standard these days.
@Warwithwheels thank you.
I bought Godrej 1.5 Ton 3 Star 18FT3 at Rs. 27,499 in Bangalore. They have provided 3 meters copper pipe however I still need another 10 meters of pipe as per the installation guy. I never knew that it would cost 1/4 of the AC Price for the installation
Old 20th May 2014, 13:54   #3518
gemi_kk

Quote:
We bought a 1.5 Ton 3* Split A/C last week for our room size 12x10 and due to common wall everywhere we will have to place the outdoor unit nearly 10 meters away from the AC Unit. Though Installation is offered for free, they are quoting Rs. 650 per meter, Rs. 1500 for Extra Gas Filling, Rs. 500 for Extra Drain Pipe and Rs. 850 for Outdoor Unit Stand.

With a New AC you will get 3.5 Mts of AC gas pipe. but if you are planning to put it 10 Mts away, you need to pay for 10Mts. You cannot have joints in that pipe. Joints... can have but purely depends on the installer.

Why Extra gas in a New AC? Yes, Original Factory pipe is only 3.5 Mts in length. But you are using 10Mts. So your compressor needs to have more gas to fit in the 10Mts pipe.

Drain pipe, ignore it. Go to local hardware shop. Get some cheap pipe. it wont cost you anything more than 10-15 per meter.

That 850/- stand is for your Unit. If you want to lock down your ODU to the stand, you can do that. But it is optional.

Old 20th May 2014, 14:00   #3519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
With a New AC you will get 3.5 Mts of AC gas pipe. but if you are planning to put it 10 Mts away, you need to pay for 10Mts. You cannot have joints in that pipe. Joints... can have but purely depends on the installer.

Why Extra gas in a New AC? Yes, Original Factory pipe is only 3.5 Mts in length. But you are using 10Mts. So your compressor needs to have more gas to fit in the 10Mts pipe.

Drain pipe, ignore it. Go to local hardware shop. Get some cheap pipe. it wont cost you anything more than 10-15 per meter.

That 850/- stand is for your Unit. If you want to lock down your ODU to the stand, you can do that. But it is optional.
@gemi_kk thank you for the detailed explanation.

Thanks for the suggestion on drain pipe, I will do the same instead of paying Rs. 500 to him.

What would be standard price for 1 meter copper pipe?
Old 20th May 2014, 17:47   #3520
gemi_kk

Quote:
@gemi_kk thank you for the detailed explanation.

Thanks for the suggestion on drain pipe, I will do the same instead of paying Rs. 500 to him.

What would be standard price for 1 meter copper pipe?
Any regular 1/2 inch or 1 inch pipe could be used as a drain pipe. You can redirect it to your bathroom too, so it is all your choice, whether do you want to redirect it to the ODU or not.
Also you might need a 1 inch to half inch converter for using any size drain pipe. Recommended being half inch plus.

The cost of copper pipe depends on your manufacturer. Varies for different qualities i.e based on thickness of pipe, quality of copper used and other factors.

Best is to try talking to AC installers. Not those from where you bought the AC. Talk to them, you can find such installers in OLX, quikr or some other sites.

Talk to them to have a better idea.

Old 21st May 2014, 19:51   #3521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Any regular 1/2 inch or 1 inch pipe could be used as a drain pipe. You can redirect it to your bathroom too, so it is all your choice, whether do you want to redirect it to the ODU or not.
Also you might need a 1 inch to half inch converter for using any size drain pipe. Recommended being half inch plus.

The cost of copper pipe depends on your manufacturer. Varies for different qualities i.e based on thickness of pipe, quality of copper used and other factors.

Best is to try talking to AC installers. Not those from where you bought the AC. Talk to them, you can find such installers in OLX, quikr or some other sites.

Talk to them to have a better idea.
@gemi_kk & everyone, thank you very much for giving me rough idea about the installation.

Finally Spent Rs. 9,010 for the installation.
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:36   #3522
Senior - BHPian

I need a split AC for our shop, dimensions 16 x 8.5 x 10 (136 sqft). I think 1 ton should suffice for this area.

There are no windows, its on the ground floor and doesn't receive sunlight anytime of the day. We'd only be putting up a glass door at the front so area covered by glass would be 8.5 ft wide & 6 ft high but with no direct sunlight its going to be as good as a wooden door/wall.

While I understand Daikin is the best AC out there I'm looking at a product which isn't heavy on the pocket and can serve me without expensive servicing charges and expensive parts, a product which is best suited for commercial establishments.

Also, with the copper/aluminium discussion up above, what are the points worth considering when I make this decision?
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:55   #3523
BANNED

@fine69; The size is fine, but it will also depend on the number of people and the times the door is opened. As for Daikin and co. there power consumption is very low, are quiet and by and large any decent AC should need no intervention apart from servicing for five years plus.
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:15   #3524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@fine69; The size is fine, but it will also depend on the number of people and the times the door is opened. As for Daikin and co. there power consumption is very low, are quiet and by and large any decent AC should need no intervention apart from servicing for five years plus.
There's just my wife who'd be at the showroom. There are four 22w CFLs in wall hangings and six 10w LEDs. Does 1 ton still sound ok?

The thing is that we're experimenting with the shop and don't want to invest too much at this stage, however with delhi heat getting unbearable by the day an AC is must.

We had a Samsung 5 star split AC and as soon as the warranty got over (12 months) we ended up spending 2-3k every season on it. Sometimes a motor would fail, sometimes ice would start forming etc. And I'm one of those who clean the air filter every 2 weeks so maintaining it wasn't where we defaulted, hence I'm a little skeptic this time as to which split AC should be bought.

I'll check out the prices for Daikin but are there any other brands which should be ok for commercial use. Also, what about the copper coils, should I ensure that any AC that I buy has copper coils? How do I check it, would the spec sheet say so?

Last edited by fine69 : 22nd May 2014 at 15:27.
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:43   #3525
Senior - BHPian

With an area in excess of 100 sq.foot nothing short of 1.5 ton will ever be ok as far as Delhi is concerned especially for the 3 odd weeks of dry heat. Before and after that too it would be a compromise to have a small unit.

You should look at Sharp & Panasonic inverters, especially Sharp as the prices are lower compared to others and both these machines are good. Do check out Mitsubishi inverters too, again great quality but lower prices as the make does not have brand value in our markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
There's just my wife who'd be at the showroom. Does 1 ton still sound ok?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks