Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:54   #3361
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
... The wall on which the AC is an internal wall. So, they have provided a 3" concealed PVC pipe on the wall which is brought out on the external wall. Due to some obstacles, this PVC pipe has one elbow joint on each end. .....
Is it only one elbow at each end or is it two at each end?
Is the PVC pipe run horizontal or vertical?
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:56   #3362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Is it only one elbow at each end or is it two at each end?
Is the PVC pipe run horizontal or vertical?
It is one elbow at each end. The PVC pipe is running horizontal.
Old 3rd April 2014, 21:35   #3363
BHPian

Quote:
1. Is there any other flexible copper pipe that can be routed through a bent PVC pipe?
2. Does any other member here have an AC mounted on an inner wall and had to route the copper pipe to an external wall? How did you manage this?
3. What is the nominal price of copper pipe? As this is my first AC I am not sure if Rs.350/ft is the right price. The quality of the pipe looks very good though.

Thank you in advance for all the guidance.
1. Not possible. The pressure rating is too high and the soft copper tube may burst
2. Use openable electrical conduit - Legrand has a square conduit (expensive - Rs. 700 for 3 meter!)
3. The copper wont cost that much - but it includes their work, brazing and all other stuff. With other stuff also included, looks ok.
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:16   #3364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_madness View Post
If you are living on the top floor, you could paint the roof white - it works very well. We do it every year and the hot oven feel goes away. Does any body have an idea of what paint lasts better? We use white cement paint, stays a little better than commercial available choona with fevicol and some crystal available in the pack. Has anybody used white tiles on the roof? have heard few people are using it, would be a permanent solution. Elastomeric paints are expensive, around 20rs per sqft while cement n choona come for 1-2rs per sqft.

An iitb person claims that white cement, dolomite powder and nano acrylate lasts long and is cheap, any idea where to source dolomite powder? And if tiles, wouldn't vitrified be a better option as water absorption would be low.
I have tried almost all commercial options on this in the past 8 years and have done special Heat reflect paint from dr. Fixit. It lasted for 3 years. After that I did white enamel paint which is a little more expensive but much more effective. It is so bright that my house roof appears very whte and reflective even in Google earth view!
Old 4th April 2014, 04:47   #3365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
1. Not possible. The pressure rating is too high and the soft copper tube may burst
2. Use openable electrical conduit - Legrand has a square conduit (expensive - Rs. 700 for 3 meter!)
3. The copper wont cost that much - but it includes their work, brazing and all other stuff. With other stuff also included, looks ok.
Thank you very much for the information. I have decided to punch a hole through the external wall and fix the AC. Will update once the installation is complete.
Old 4th April 2014, 07:39   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is one elbow at each end. The PVC pipe is running horizontal.
I can't quite understand the geometry, but a solution that would work is to use flexible high pressure hoses (as used in cars).
Old 4th April 2014, 09:37   #3367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Daikin 1.8T R32 series Inverter AC model FTKV60NRV16. Paid 53.7K. Thank you all for your valuable inputs and guidance.

I have a few questions:

2. Does any other member here have an AC mounted on an inner wall and had to route the copper pipe to an external wall? How did you manage this?
I wonder which member would buy a split AC and install both the external unit and indoor unit on the inner wall.

To answer your question, everyone instals the AC unit on the inner wall and the external unit either on the external part of the same wall or a little away, to avoid noise from the external unit.

They usually drill a hole of 3 to 4 inches diameter so that the thick tube that encompasses two copper wires can pass through it. The hole also lets the drain pipe pass through it.After they pull the pipes through the hole, they seal it with white cement.

In your case, it appears to be unique as you say there are slanted tiles on the wall. I am not able to visualize what you're saying, but making a hole is unavoidable.

As regards cost, I think you got a deal. I paid Rs 1400 for 2 meters of copper wire when I bought my OGeneral 2 T AC last month.
Old 4th April 2014, 11:17   #3368
BHPian

Hello!

I'm planning to buy 1.5 T window AC, now the concern is there are only handful good companies which manufacturers reliable window AC. The key requirement is that, the AC should be 5 star.

With Samsung & LG i have already burnt my hands, so they are big NO NO! I have shortlisted Voltas, Hitachi & General. Don't know why Diakin aren't into window AC?

I already have Hitachi at home, but i find the unit a bit noisy.

I would sincerely appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

Amit
Old 4th April 2014, 11:53   #3369
BHPian

We have a Blue Star 1.5T window AC at my parenst home for the past 6 years and the AC is going great guns. We have spent Rs.0 on it until now. In 2007, there was not much talk about the star rating but we nevertheless bought one which had the highest EER. It costed us 18k (I am sure it would be much higher now). Its not very intrusive in terms of sound and it cools excellently even in the hot 42-43 degrees summers of Hyderabad, whereas the 5 yr old Samsung split AC in another room struggles. Delhi summer is not very different so it must suit you. I highly recommend Blue Star if at all it is available in the star rating of your choice.
Old 4th April 2014, 13:25   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
We have a Blue Star 1.5T window AC at my parenst home for the past 6 years and the AC is going great guns. We have spent Rs.0 on it until now. In 2007, there was not much talk about the star rating but we nevertheless bought one which had the highest EER. It costed us 18k (I am sure it would be much higher now). Its not very intrusive in terms of sound and it cools excellently even in the hot 42-43 degrees summers of Hyderabad, whereas the 5 yr old Samsung split AC in another room struggles. Delhi summer is not very different so it must suit you. I highly recommend Blue Star if at all it is available in the star rating of your choice.
Many thanks racer_ash! I am aware of Blue star, will surely consider this brand as well.
Old 4th April 2014, 14:58   #3371
BHPian

I need to finalize a 1.5 ton split a/c for my bedroom.

Need a reliable product. Most of my colleagues are pointing me towards Samsung & LG but I am more inclined towards Blue star for it's quality factory.

I am on a little tight budget hence please suggest me a pocket friendly brand.

Power ratings >3 stars.

Please advice.
Old 4th April 2014, 16:25   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Friends, finally have narrowed down to 1 Ton AC. Have 2 choices Daikin FTE35 (with B&5 yr W) and O General ASG12(without B & W). Please help me to decide. Price is same for both. I am looking for problem free with almost nil maintenance and long life. I am ok to compromise on power consumption
We have started using the AC now due to the summer in the night. I must say this is more than our expectation with 2 adults and 2 kids the room is really cool in mins though outside temp is hot. Awesome AC.

I have a question though. The compressor unit body is made of plastic and it is exposed to hot sun which is blasting 40 and will be more in the coming days. Will it withstand and for how long? I am wondering how come they have put plastic body for a unit which is exposed to outside atmos. which will have rainy season/hot sun/cold winter etc.
Old 4th April 2014, 17:43   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
I need to finalize a 1.5 ton split a/c for my bedroom.

Need a reliable product. Most of my colleagues are pointing me towards Samsung & LG but I am more inclined towards Blue star for it's quality factory.

I am on a little tight budget hence please suggest me a pocket friendly brand.

Power ratings >3 stars.

Please advice.
Since you are in Hyderabad as well, I suggest you can take a look at Voltas. They have pretty quick service in the city and can come within 24 hours of you placing your complaint. I have been using a Voltas Vertis Plus G 3 star AC from 2010 and until now apart from a gas leak due to frequent relocation, the AC is working flawlessly. It cools extremely well even in peak summer. It was even used in the top most floor bedroom and it still worked well. It is also pocket friendly. If you negotiate well, you can get it at around 31k incl of stabilizer and standard installtion for a 3star model. The compressor I heard is Mitsubishi make and is amongst the best and robust.

I have used their service 2 times for general service and once also to top up gas. Everytime they are quite prompt and the technicians who come are quite knowledgeable. YOu just need to raise an online complaint or give a call to the service number mentioned in their website.
Old 4th April 2014, 18:13   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

I have used their service 2 times for general service and once also to top up gas. Everytime they are quite prompt and the technicians who come are quite knowledgeable. YOu just need to raise an online complaint or give a call to the service number mentioned in their website.
Thank you Race_ash. I will check them out this weekend.
Old 4th April 2014, 21:31   #3375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I wonder which member would buy a split AC and install both the external unit and indoor unit on the inner wall.

To answer your question, everyone instals the AC unit on the inner wall and the external unit either on the external part of the same wall or a little away, to avoid noise from the external unit.
My apologies that I was not very clear in my wording which led to the confusion. I am completely aware that a split AC has the interior unit inside the room and the external unit outside

Here is a picture to explain my problem. I have marked what I meant by the interior wall and exterior wall in the diagram.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-ac-position.png

As you can see, there is a PVC pipe through the interior wall that is brought out to the exterior wall. This has an elbow joint on both the ends and my problem is that the copper tube connecting the internal and external AC units cannot be routed through this pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
In your case, it appears to be unique as you say there are slanted tiles on the wall. I am not able to visualize what you're saying, but making a hole is unavoidable.

As regards cost, I think you got a deal. I paid Rs 1400 for 2 meters of copper wire when I bought my OGeneral 2 T AC last month.
Below is another diagram that shows the tiles arrangement.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-room-side-view.png

This is the side elevation view. Exactly on the other side of the AC unit, outside the wall, I have the slanted tiles which have a hollow part and then a layer of concrete built on a net to support the tiles. To bring out the copper pipes, a hole has to be drilled through the wall, the concrete layer and the tiles. This is again a challenging job and involves lot of masonry.

Hope my problem is clear now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks