Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2015, 09:31   #4111
BANNED

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi Gansan, you will be surprised to know that there are inverter units that have a difference of 500W in their rated consumption what to talk about difference they have from fixed speed units consuming 2 units per hour on average for a 1.5 ton unit.
Rated is the power at full load. What is more important is the ratio which is available for the compressor to slow down, ie minimum power drawn.
Old 9th May 2015, 13:59   #4112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
What about Styrofoam sheets on the ceiling inside? That's how concrete walls are insulated anyway.
Might help, I guess. Downside would be that it can be a bit ugly, especially as it ages. No idea how the price would compare, but it is probably easier to paint the outside.

Here's a crazy idea: how about sticking cooking foil to the terrace/walls? Hmmm... well, just a crazy idea.

A lot of heat enters through the windows. I think that shutters would be a good idea, or even covering over the glass for the hot season. Our bedroom windows are covered by newspaper.

I have closed off the ventilation to our main bedroom's bathroom, at least for the summer. The bigger open window is covered in a cardboard-foam sandwich (ugly and dark) and the smaller with a double layer of bubble-wrap (should be insulating, but lets the light in). Yes: there are obvious disadvantages to blocking toilet/shower ventilation! I'm forming a plan to use those glass bricks, but to add an extraction fan, one of those neat ones that has louvres that close to keep the insects out.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th May 2015 at 14:01.
Old 9th May 2015, 21:49   #4113
Senior - BHPian

^^ An easy method in independent houses during my school days was to put up a shamiana on the terrace for the summer - the one roofed with coconut palm thatches. Very effective in warding off the heat in summer, in the rooms located directly underneath!

Another one was to spread gunny sacks to cover a significant part of the terrace, and keep them moist by a kind of drip irrigation from the tap located on the terrace!

Last edited by Gansan : 9th May 2015 at 21:50.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 11:40   #4114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
What about Styrofoam sheets on the ceiling inside? That's how concrete walls are insulated anyway.
The terrace would still heat up. So if added cooling is wanted, paint the terrace with synthetic enamel paint and then line the ceiling with insulating material. A proper false ceiling with a gap of around 1 foot will not only keep the room cool, but require a lot less air conditioning.
Old 13th May 2015, 23:52   #4115
BHPian

We are planning on purchasing a 1.5 ton window AC for our drawing room. It is not going to be used frequently since we don't get guests all that often. However, parents, being bitten by the quality bug (we one one Hitachi Quadricool TM and one Carrier Estrella, and a Voltas recently bought by a friend developed some gas leakage problems) refuse to get a cheaper AC. So shortlisted these:
  1. Hitach Summer TM (Rs. 37,000)
  2. Hitachi Summer QC (Rs. 35,000)
  3. General 1.5 Ton (Rs. 36,000)

(Prices quoted include stabilizer and installation).

According to the specs, the General consumes 1800W for 17,500 BTU/hr of cooling, while the Hitachi consumes around 1550W for around 18,300 BTU/hr of cooling.

Owing to the significant differences in cooling/watt ratio, it seems we'll be going with Hitachi QC. Owing to the lack of frequency of the AC's usage, we are not too keen on the TM model. We'll be finalizing the purchase in a day or two.

Suggestions are welcome.
Old 15th May 2015, 11:54   #4116
Senior - BHPian

I have had various General 1.5 window ACs installed since 2004 and it is perhaps the best windows AC. My brother has a Hitachi top end and his AC does not cool as much. He is waiting when I sell my old General so he can use it to replace the creaky Samsung in the 2nd room. For a 10*15 room and 3 people (me, wife, and son), at night in Delhi summers, we can easily feel cool at 26C and high fan. However, our room is cooler in summers than normal, and is also on ground floor.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:30   #4117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post

According to the specs, the General consumes 1800W for 17,500 BTU/hr of cooling, while the Hitachi consumes around 1550W for around 18,300 BTU/hr of cooling.
Quite likely that the General is a reciprocating compressor (popular and needed for the Gulf area), while Hitachi is a rotary. One cannot explain the discrepancy otherwise. All my three window and one split use Rotary compressors. The oldest is a Videocon window of 1999 vintage.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:48   #4118
Senior - BHPian

The General window unit with recipe compressor(rated at 18/19 K BTU) is now only available against specific orders with 100% advance. It will be a rare dealer that will have it in stock. General switched to rotary compressor quite some time ago (the 17500 BTU rated ones). Along with the compressor the equilibrium between the various components that make up the unit also has an effect on the overall performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quite likely that the General is a reciprocating compressor (popular and needed for the Gulf area), while Hitachi is a rotary. One cannot explain the discrepancy otherwise. All my three window and one split use Rotary compressors. The oldest is a Videocon window of 1999 vintage.
Old 15th May 2015, 21:14   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Along with the compressor the equilibrium between the various components that make up the unit also has an effect on the overall performance.
Aye, and the most significant of them all being the condenser. That one component almost exclusively decides the COP of the plant, assuming that other components are as per theoretical requirement. An oversized condenser always helps in the real world.
Old 16th May 2015, 16:24   #4120
BHPian

Please recommend window AC (1.5T). Sharp and Blue star window ACs worth it?
Old 16th May 2015, 21:58   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Full range General, economy Videocon.

If Sharp has window units and they are priced competitively compared to General, go for Sharp.

A few chain stores had Westinghouse and Sanyo last season see if you can locate these, good units these.

Hitachi Quadricool with twin motors if the dealer in the general area provides good service otherwise stay away.

Blue Star is best left for commercial / industrial customers who are blowing their shareholders or tax payers monies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Please recommend window AC (1.5T). Sharp and Blue star window ACs worth it?
Old 16th May 2015, 22:12   #4122
BHPian

Quote:
Full range General, economy Videocon.

If Sharp has window units and they are priced competitively compared to General, go for Sharp.

A few chain stores had Westinghouse and Sanyo last season see if you can locate these, good units these.

Hitachi Quadricool with twin motors if the dealer in the general area provides good service otherwise stay away.

Blue Star is best left for commercial / industrial customers who are blowing their shareholders or tax payers monies.
Thanks, I think its time to add another General. Sharp 1.5T is cheaper than General. I have Whirlpool AC, its been doing good job.
Old 17th May 2015, 00:57   #4123
BHPian

We finally bought the General AC (AXGT18AATH). Reasons being people unanimously preferring General to Hitachi, and the area where it had to be installed would be very rarely occupied, so efficiency isn't a big concern.

I'm no expert (googling rotary vs reciprocal right now ) but it did seem to be an absolute chiller during its 20 minute test span.
Old 18th May 2015, 00:15   #4124
AWD
BHPian

Im in the market for a 1.5T Split, either 5* energy rating or Inverter tech, to be installed in Drawing room. Also keen to know which one would be better 5* or inverter.

Basically deciding between Diakin, Hitachi & Mitsubishi Electric. Panasonic, Sharp, Blue Star are other brands im checking out. While avoiding OGeneral due to bad experience in the past.

Please suggest me a good cooling solution for sweltering summers up north. Preferably all copper & an in built de-humidifier should be good to boot.

Last edited by AWD : 18th May 2015 at 00:32.
Old 18th May 2015, 00:50   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Well inverter would be the more economical one provided the machine is used for longish hours daily. In the Daikin inverter range be careful with what model you go for. There is one where the minimum rating is 230W and then yet another where the minimum rating is 750W.

I myself may be picking up a Mitsubishi Electric inverter hot and cold machine and this one has a minimum rating of 250W for cooling. I am getting the Mitsubishi primarily for the size of it's IDU which is less than 30" and will replace my decade+ old Hitachi Atom also with an IDU of < 30". While I have used ME previously and the quality and performance were superb and I am sure they will be this time around too the only thing stopping me is that the unit in question is based on R410 and I would have preferred one running on R32. Anyhow, the unit is quoted at 52K + kit + install + transformer altogether say 60K.

From your list go with Daikin, ME, Sharp or one of the Panasonic models that do not deteriorate even at 52 degC (it's mentioned in the specs of these particular models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Im in the market for a 1.5T Split, either 5* energy rating or Inverter tech, to be installed in Drawing room. Also keen to know which one would be better 5* or inverter.

Basically deciding between Diakin, Hitachi & Mitsubishi Electric. Panasonic, Sharp, Blue Star are other brands im checking out. While avoiding OGeneral due to bad experience in the past.

Please suggest me a good cooling solution for sweltering summers up north. Preferably all copper & an in built de-humidifier should be good to boot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks