Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 20:43   #4186
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Was reported yesterday morning, service promised today, but did not happen. Previously satisfied with Sharp service here in Chennai; this is a black mark.
How did you contact Sharp? I usually do this via their website/email and they respond promptly
Old 9th August 2015, 20:58   #4187
Distinguished - BHPian

By telephone. There is a number to call for service.

Yesterday, my wife rang again. They apologised and said they would be coming today. We were going out, and told them to come on Monday.
Old 12th August 2015, 00:28   #4188
Distinguished - BHPian

We had the Sharp engineers here this morning.

They spent about an hour trying to find the cause of the slow-speed-fan buzz/vibration, including calling home a couple of times for advice.

Having poked, prodded, loosened, tightened, greased, etc, they said they will replace the fan motor, and timing will depend on stock availability.

In the meantime, we are using the unit on medium speed and it is ok, but "auto" is the most useful speed, which equates to slow for most of the time.
Old 12th August 2015, 07:23   #4189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the meantime, we are using the unit on medium speed and it is ok, but "auto" is the most useful speed, which equates to slow for most of the time.
Does the AC work at a fixed wattage when set at medium? Does the automatic capacity control system still work or does it get bypassed?

As a buyer you are probably grateful that they are addressing the issue; but as a 'potential' buyer such reports only strengthen my resolve to stay away from these premium brands!
Old 12th August 2015, 12:43   #4190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Does the AC work at a fixed wattage when set at medium? Does the automatic capacity control system still work or does it get bypassed?
As far as I know, the fan-speed control affects only the fan speed and nothing else. This model has an "eco" control with two levels: it limits the power, but does not fix it.

Quote:
As a buyer you are probably grateful that they are addressing the issue; but as a 'potential' buyer such reports only strengthen my resolve to stay away from these premium brands!
It is a one-off, so far. I guess one can find problems with almost every make. If any brand is truly 100% problem free, then we should all be buying it!

It's the straw-poll thing: If I judge by problems in first year, then I would say that Samsung is more reliable than Sharp... but the actual statistics are Samsung, nil; Sharp one, so I guess it is a lousy statistic!

Remembering the free/warranty services of our Samsungs, I can only say that the guys that Sharp employ are much better. The Samsung people that came here were lazy and didn't seem to give a damn. Even though this fault has taken two visits so far, the guys have a better attitude all round.

The proof of this pudding will be in the fixing. They have told us three days if the part is available in to Chennai, to ten days if it has to be sourced elsewhere. The latter does seem a bit long: if the motor was dead I'd be very unhappy!

Watch this space. I will update as things progress --- or not!
Old 12th August 2015, 12:48   #4191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I do not think the power drain in an inverter unit is dictated much by fan speed. It is the compressor which dictates the power consumption.
Old 12th August 2015, 13:30   #4192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do not think the power drain in an inverter unit is dictated much by fan speed. It is the compressor which dictates the power consumption.
That is well understood. The confusion arose because he had posted that the AC could not be used in the 'normal' auto mode.
Old 12th August 2015, 16:31   #4193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The confusion arose because he had posted that the AC could not be used in the 'normal' auto mode.
It is the fan speed only which is affected. I used to always use auto fan speed, as it will run fast for inital cooling and then slow. I use manual temperature setting, and do not use any other auto mode.
Old 26th August 2015, 14:55   #4194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We had the Sharp engineers here this morning.

They spent about an hour trying to find the cause of the slow-speed-fan buzz/vibration, including calling home a couple of times for advice.

Having poked, prodded, loosened, tightened, greased, etc, they said they will replace the fan motor, and timing will depend on stock availability.

They finally replaced the inside-unit fan motor a couple of days ago. The delay is not all due to Sharp: there have been two or three days when we told them it was convenient for them to come. However, it did take several days for them to get the part, so it is a good thing it was not a complete failure.

The machine is now silent again and we are happy.
Old 31st August 2015, 16:43   #4195
BHPian

Does buying extended warranty make sense for modern day split ACs? The cost for a 1 ton 3 star split ACs extended warranty is appox 1500 for a year (and one can buy for a year)
Old 1st September 2015, 08:21   #4196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Does buying extended warranty make sense for modern day split ACs? The cost for a 1 ton 3 star split ACs extended warranty is appox 1500 for a year (and one can buy for a year)
Should be fine provided it includes one or two service visits and also covers parts and labour.
Old 6th September 2015, 05:35   #4197
Senior - BHPian

The LG Window A/C (1 Ton) in my house conked off and the mechanic says its dead. Seems to be some issue with the compressor and hence suggested getting a new one instead of replacing this compressor.

Looking for some options in the Window category. This one lasted me very few years and was used very less as well as a secondary A/C. Think I now know better than to trust LG for their A/Cs.

Looking at Whirlpool as an option since I have one of their make (1.5 ton) and it has been pretty good till now (almost 7 years now). Any other suggestions are also welcome. Looking for machines with better Energy ratings. Whirlpool has a 5 star one apparently.

Can't go for split since I live in a rental house.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 6th September 2015, 08:08   #4198
BANNED

I had two window Videocons both fifteen plus years old. The usage is near zero (maybe 50 hours pa for one and five times lower for the other). They both lost their refrigerant, so had to be recharged. Total damages ₹6000 incl servicing.
Old 6th September 2015, 08:33   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

Can't go for split since I live in a rental house.

I live in a rental house and have four splits. Don't let that stop you as removing and installing is not that big a deal. Have shifted once myself. However if the house owner doesn't want you to make that hole then it's a different matter!
Old 6th September 2015, 13:53   #4200
Distinguished - BHPian

When I moved house, the landlady required me to replace the window frame after removing my split AC. Guess what the next tennants did? Of course! they broke the new window frame to install a split AC! Grrr...

Honestly, I don't think she would have minded a two-inch hole for a split AC, which could have been easily sealed with removable cement. Along with the wiring, she would probably have considered that an improvement!

Most Viewed