Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2013, 14:18   #2986
BHPian

Got a sharp 1.1 ton invertor ac fitted in my 13*13 room in Ludhiana. There is a room built over my room and the window too is not exposed to sunlight , therefore the choice to go for the 1.1 invertor. IMO the invertor ac would be more effective both cooling and running cost wise as it would just consume around 1 unit per hour as running load compared to the 1.7 units a 1.5 tonner would consume. Rest I will keep the forum posted.
But the built quality and overall experience of buying a sharp ac was wonderful. These guys even provide gloves for the installation guys to wear so that your walls and ac do not get dirty. Cool haaan. Will post photographs by tomorrow. Oh yeah, the whole deal set me back by 37 grands. Including installation and stabiliser worth 1500. Howzzat!!
Old 21st April 2013, 14:42   #2987
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
... Including ... and stabiliser worth 1500. Howzzat!!
To be sure the stabilizer is the weakest link in the chain!
Is it really needed?
All you really need is a time delay circuit, if not already built into the AC.
Old 21st April 2013, 16:12   #2988
BHPian

Narrowing down to Window AC 2.0 Ton for living room - expected running is 5-6 hours for 4-5 months in a year. Split AC is ruled out for possibilities of residence shifting. Short-listed options:

1. O'General - 2-star - Rs. 36500/-
2. Hitachi - 2-star / 3-star - Rs. 30,500/- / Rs. 35,000/-

Inclined towards Hitachi at the moment. Any recommendations regarding the brand (reliability is among the top priorities) and prices?

And planning not to buy a stabilizer? Is it really warranted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
...the stabilizer is the weakest link in the chain!
Is it really needed?
All you really need is a time delay circuit, if not already built into the AC.
My thoughts really. Btw, do you get a TD circuit for ACs in the market? Also, I believe, nowadays every AC has a 3 min delay timer in-built for the compressor circuit, am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am raising a thought which just came to my mind.

While we are all aware of Spilt AC condensers failing due to corrosion specially in coastal or polluted areas.

We have barely come across cases of car AC condensers failing due to the same reason. These are invariably made of Aluminium. Accident or gravel damage yes, but age / corrosion no.

Why?
I've always wondered about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am getting a feeling that car AC condensers are of a a heavier and better grade of material.
I wish some manufacture would give such material for home ACs instead of numerous silly features?

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 21st April 2013 at 16:20.
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:30   #2989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
..... Btw, do you get a TD circuit for ACs in the market? Also, I believe, nowadays every AC has a 3 min delay timer in-built for the compressor circuit, am I right?
I don't know about every AC but yes, many do have time delay circuits built in.
As for the voltage protection, brown outs and time delay protection, you could take a look at this: http://www.flipkart.com/sollatek-a-c...tabilizer_1_uc
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:40   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations regarding the brand (reliability is among the top priorities) and prices?

I am quite happy with my 1.5T Hitachi 5 star window AC, Summer TM RAT518ESD, that I bought last June for 33K. Their 2T unit is a 3 star one (RAST322ESD) and should be good for you. Don't go for the Kaze model of Hitachi, which although cheaper, is also lower on quality and comes with aluminum inside. OE General's Window AC's quality has deteriorated over the years and is not the same it was 5 years back. And yes, the Hitachi has a time delay, but I have also installed a stabilizer due to UP's voltage scenario.

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd April 2013 at 09:43.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:55   #2991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hitachi - 2-star / 3-star - Rs. 30,500/- / Rs. 35,000/-
Inclined towards Hitachi at the moment. Any recommendations regarding the brand (reliability is among the top priorities) and prices?
I have been using TWO Hitachi (TWIN MOTOR) 1.5 tonners from last four years and I have no complaints. Had bought them for 29K each at that time. Interestingly the remote prefers DURACELL batteries. Try any other brand & half the things on LCD screen will not show after one week.
Also have to set time (press SET button in flip window) or else remote will not function.
I'll recommend HITACHI above any other brand for A/C.

In fact I bought another one (34K) for my Delhi house (Vijay Sales) last week.
For DELHI/NOIDA section I suggest that you buy a stabilizer. Hitachi should offer you same with A/C for about 2500-3000 rupees.
I recommend you haggle a bit and will get better price, I paid 34K for 36500 machine.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 22nd April 2013 at 11:00. Reason: Double posts
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:08   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am quite happy with my 1.5T Hitachi 5 star window AC, Summer TM RAT518ESD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I have been using TWO Hitachi (TWIN MOTOR) 1.5 tonners from last four years...
Guys, thanks two tons for the valuable inputs - dropped the O'General and the Hitachi KAZE model. Now, two Hitachi options left:
1. Summer QC 3-star RAV322HSD: Rs. 35,000/-
2. Twin Motor (Summer TM) 2-star RAT222HSD: Rs. 36,200/-
(prices nearly final post-haggling)

Twin motor technology is supposedly superior. But for a user, the first option is cheaper, is one-star higher rated (energy saving of 150 W) and both have same cooling capacity. What is the benefit of the 2nd option for a user? Does it offer greater ruggedness with improved quality of material and / or thicker copper coils?

Will greatly appreciate feedback as planning to finalize in a day or at most two.

P.S.: No other models/variants/star rating ACs available in 2.0 ton Hitachi - checked the website also.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 22nd April 2013 at 14:31.
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:13   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will greatly appreciate feedback as planning to finalize in a day or at most two.
Summer TM is a more efficient model than Summer QC though the margin is negligible. I would suggest you go with the higher model as the difference is quite low. But I think you are getting a higher quote by at least 2K on both. Go through 2-3 authorised dealers rather than big malls; you will get better rates.
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:17   #2994
Mik
BHPian

Need help from the cooling gurus here.
One of the bedrooms (10 X 11.5 - top floor of a 17 storey high building in Gurgaon) in my rented flat is terribly planned. No split AC duct and the window is so small that even the thinnest 0.75 window AC will not fit in. Making an AC duct by modification is not an option. I am thinking of the following.
Remove the glass of one of the window panes, cover it up with ply and leave a small gap for the duct.
Is this a workable solution ?
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:27   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Need help from the cooling gurus here.
One of the bedrooms (10 X 11.5 - top floor of a 17 storey high building in Gurgaon) in my rented flat is terribly planned. No split AC duct and the window is so small that even the thinnest 0.75 window AC will not fit in. Making an AC duct by modification is not an option. I am thinking of the following.
Remove the glass of one of the window panes, cover it up with ply and leave a small gap for the duct.
Is this a workable solution ?
Yes it is a workable solution. You can even get a hole cut in the glass for the duct. As you wish.
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:28   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Summer TM is a more efficient model than Summer QC though the margin is negligible. I would suggest you go with the higher model as the difference is quite low. But I think you are getting a higher quote by at least 2K on both. Go through 2-3 authorised dealers rather than big malls; you will get better rates.
That's really prompt! TM (2-star) is providing same cooling with 150 W higher consumption as compared to QC (3-star). Does it not make QC more efficient? That sets me thinking that the TM model could be using superior material to justify its higher price even with lower star rating.

Regarding the price, I'm in touch with multiple dealers in Noida - nobody willing to come below the specified numbers. MRP for the 3-star QC is 37900/- and for the 2-star TM is 39000/-.

Thanks again!
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:33   #2997
Senior - BHPian

I am using Hitachi Summer QC 1.5 RAV518ESD for last one year and extremely happy about the performance. In Delhi's harsh weather, my room on top 4th floor is cooling fast and silently. With 5 Star rating energy bill is not burning my pocket like my neighbor who is in a 3 star setup from Voltas.

Hitachi Window Air Conditioner Power Consumption Chart

The home / office air-conditioner thread-hitachiwindowairconditionerpowerconsumptionchart.jpg

Cheers!
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:41   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Hello all,

In the process of finalizing an AC for a 16x11 room with one window facing west. Have been told 1.5 Ton ac would do the job. Plus this being coimbatore i dont see the AC doing duty beyond August september on a regular basis.

I am only looking at Daikin and Panasonic . Not looking at any inverter model.

The Models I have chosen are

Daikin - http://www.daikinindia.com/pdf/split...5m-50-60nr.pdf

Panasonic - http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/porta...hire/cskc18pky

If you see the prices are similar. I would like your suggestions and probably why an one of these and why not.

The Daikin is a 3 star unit while the Panasonic is a 5 star unit.

And also a suggestion for a good voltage stabilizer as CBE sees frequesnt power cuts.

cheers!
sai
sorry to be bumping this up. Need to buy the AC asap. Not able to make up my mind between Daikin 3 star vs Panasonic 5 star. kindly help. Also this whole copper internals Vs Aluminum internals is also confusing.

Sai.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:23. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:47   #2999
BANNED

Let me answer the Al v Cu story. Al condensers and evaporators are found in the lower end ACs and are far more prone to corrosion and subsequent failure than Copper. So the choice is very clear. As for 3* v 5* depends on how long you plant to keep the unit. If you are looking at 7 years plus then prefer the brand over the rating.
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:49   #3000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
sorry to be bumping this up. Need to buy the AC asap. Not able to make up my mind between Daikin 3 star vs Panasonic 5 star. kindly help. Also this whole copper internals Vs Aluminum internals is also confusing.
Sai.
Why DAIKIN??
Though HITACHI is best option but if you prefer Panasonic then go for split version called CUBE. Its 5 star and was bought by a close family friend for 18K (Not sure of tonnage) last year. The cooling was wonderful.
Frankly I am not much into their technicalities but can personally vouch for this particular model of Panasonic.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 22nd April 2013 at 14:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks