Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:54   #2881
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Any feedback about Panasonic model KC18NKY/2 (1.5T, 4 Star Split A/C). Available on a sale in Metro for 27K (MRP 37K).

The reviews that I see on the net are mostly positive, does anyone here have any experience with this model ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I have the exact same model. Its been working great since the last 3 years. However panasonic after sales service is pretty much non existent in bangalore.
Thanks for the feedback.. (Wonder why there's no "Thanks" link in threads in this section. Would have been quite handy)

I almost made the purchase yesterday when the Panasonic salesperson there mentioned that they're likely to get some stocks of a newer model in another 3-4 days. So decided to wait till I look at them as well.
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:17   #2882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Buy the sharp. I have 2 daikin inverter acs, 2 sharp inverter acs and a Panasonic. Sharp is the best followed closely by panasonic and then daikin.

Reasons are too long to disclose here. But in short technology, economic reasons, customer service and reliability are the parameters that i have judged them upon.
Thanks M5 fan. I saw the Sharp model referred by Inquisitive. It is by no ways economic [over the Daikin]. However, my decision will be between Sharp and Daikin, with my own economic reasons coming into play.

Do both Sharp and Daikin have good service backup [if one needs it]? Panasonic better than Daikin [from a technology and customer service perspective? The previous pages I browsed through didn't seem to say so (also maybe I didn't read well enough)].
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:21   #2883
Senior - BHPian

I have immediate plans for buying a 1.5 ton split AC for my parent's room.

We have 4 other ACs installed - one each of LG, Whirlpool, Voltas and Hitachi - all performing satisfactorily.

Went to Khosla electronics last night and they are suggesting Electrolux SQ52 (asking around 25K) or Panasonic UC18PKY (asking around 30K).

Any user experience on the same models? Any other suggested 1.5 ton split models?
Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:14   #2884
BANNED

@blackasta; Make sure it is R410a and not R22. Of the two I will take the Panasonic, purely on the brand standing.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:15   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Thanks M5 fan. I saw the Sharp model referred by Inquisitive. It is by no ways economic [over the Daikin]. However, my decision will be between Sharp and Daikin, with my own economic reasons coming into play.

Do both Sharp and Daikin have good service backup [if one needs it]? Panasonic better than Daikin [from a technology and customer service perspective? The previous pages I browsed through didn't seem to say so (also maybe I didn't read well enough)].
If you go through the datasheets, both sharp and panasonic inverter acs have a lower min power consumption value which comes into play when the outside temperature is not very hot.

Also both are cheaper than daikin and come with assembly kits.

The service guys of sharp and panasonic are more knowledgable and professional as compared to the daikin guys in my area. The daikin guys are complete pappus in my area.

I bought the sharp XP13LV for 31000 in delhi a couple days if days back. It is a 1.1 ton inverter ac. It also has an ioniser which the daikin doesn't afaik. Also a similar R410 product from daikin costs around 45000. And it doesn't even include the assembly kit.

Hence both panasonic and sharp are economical as compared to daikin. See buying a daikin is like buying a merc, it has brand value and quality. But is it that everyone who is looking for a car in that segment is gonna buy a merc. Well my comments make sense only once one can look past the brand value.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:31   #2886
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@blackasta; Make sure it is R410a and not R22. Of the two I will take the Panasonic, purely on the brand standing.
Hi SGIITK,

In terms of performance in high outdoor temperature conditions, how do these two compare. In India, being able to operate well at 45 Degree + temperature is vital, at least in North India. In this scenario, which refrigerant is better - are there two the best or are there any other options used currently in India.
Would appreciate if you could share some inputs on this.

Thanks!
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:37   #2887
Senior - BHPian

I've had a bad experience with Whirlpool. I had purchased a Whirlpool Chrome 1.5T AC from Chroma Retail in March 2012 in Mumbai. In Jan 2013, less than one year of purchase, suddenly the AC does not switch on. When I logged a complaint, the technician came within 24 hours (the Good part!) However, after some testing he declares that the PCB has conked off and needs to be replaced under warranty. Then comes the month long wait and ordeal. Numerous phone calls and emails from my side and multitude of false promises from their side followed (wrong part was delivered, part not in stock, will get done in 3 days etc). they finally fixed it in Feb end, after nearly a 1.5 months wait.

Another lack of cooling issue with my Whirlpool 410L fridge in Bangalore within 2 years of ownership. Whirlpool has not yet fixed it despite good amount of followups. Hoping they will do it today.

Have made a promise to never touch Whirlpool products with a barge pole. Will go for LG, even if it is priced higher. I've heard that their service is very good!!

Anyone else had a bitter experience with WP or am I the special one?
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:54   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Cool air cannot hold as much water as hot air can. Cool the air, it gives up water: it cannot do otherwise, physics does not allow it any choice. So dehumidifying is always going to be a byproduct and result of cooling. If an AC unit cools it will dehumidify too, and if it doesn't, it won't.
Please correct me if I am wrong. The dehumidification results in lower relative humidity in air and as a result one perceives lesser temperature. Now if an AC unit cooling the air automatically dehumidifies where will the condensed water go? Obviously it will condensate on the lowest temperature spot on the room that is on the cooling coils in the blower. The colder and dehumidified air is then released back into the room giving you the cooling effect. That is the relative humidity of the room is being controlled. Now what happens if you are instead using a dew point (temperature at which water vapor condenses into liquid form) control? Using a high dew point (consider any psychrometric chart, for the parameters that contribute) will result in removal of moisture at a higher temperature basically increasing your comfort level even at that point. Dehumidification also results in lowering the enthalpy (heat content) of the system that will also help in changes in temperature faster and efficient. High-efficiency air conditioners of these days use this trick to achieve better comfort level sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You would be surprised to see who turns up for install as well as after sales feedback call(not just for complaints), provided your install deserves that level of attention. The outsourced service agency scenario as described by you is pretty warped. Do a little more research as on the other forum(I think I have recognized you correctly) and you will learn about regular training workshops, diagnostic & repair competitions, technical updates besides R&D divisions studying their own and competitors product's workings in our environs and actual implementation of knowledge garnered.
With all due respect, I feel awkward to receive such an affront from a senior member. Speaking for myself, my difference of opinion would have been more polite.
Firstly I would very much doubt what percentage of AC users in India actually receive that sort of attention during install. Well if a home AC installation requires that amount of attention then it must be a very serious business and thank goodness that mine was nowhere near.
Secondly for outsourced service for different AC companies, I think the technicians who run the last mile like in any business make the difference to the customers. Had the quoted opinions were true for AC servicing all the service related grumblings in our forum should be summarily rejected by the moderators IMHO.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd April 2013 at 15:51. Reason: Posts merged
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:51   #2889
BHPian

Is there any company in Bangalore which offers consultancy on which AC to be installed after inspecting the office space?
There is an office room in my Wife's office which has poor cross ventilation and hence becomes very hot and stuffy.
This is an urgent need. Would really appreciate any advice/help on this.
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:57   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me how to understand whether my A.C is a R410.

I got my Samsung delivered yesterday. It's yet to be installed. Chose it over Daikin because I was not sure about the service network in Kolkata. Same reason for not choosing Sharp.
P.S. mine is a February 2013 manufactured model.
Old 3rd April 2013, 21:40   #2891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Can anyone tell me how to understand whether my A.C is a R410.

I got my Samsung delivered yesterday. It's yet to be installed. Chose it over Daikin because I was not sure about the service network in Kolkata. Same reason for not choosing Sharp.
P.S. mine is a February 2013 manufactured model.
The gas type is mentioned in a label on the ourdoor unit. Or you can find it in the specifications table of the user manual of the Ac.
Old 3rd April 2013, 22:41   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
Is there any company in Bangalore which offers consultancy on which AC to be installed after inspecting the office space?
There is an office room in my Wife's office which has poor cross ventilation and hence becomes very hot and stuffy.
This is an urgent need. Would really appreciate any advice/help on this.
Yes, Daikin and Blue star does it. I am not sure about the others.
Old 4th April 2013, 07:51   #2893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
.... Now what happens if you are instead using a dew point (temperature at which water vapor condenses into liquid form) control? Using a high dew point (consider any psychrometric chart, for the parameters that contribute) will result in removal of moisture at a higher temperature basically increasing your comfort level even at that point. ......
Could you explain how such control may be obtained? I mean the 'dew point control' that you are talking about.
The dew point is something that you have no control over. It is dependent upon the temperature of the air and the barometric pressure prevailing at that time. There is no way to change the dew point to a value that one likes or fancies!
Old 4th April 2013, 10:24   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I've had a bad experience with Whirlpool. I had purchased a Whirlpool Chrome 1.5T AC from Chroma Retail in March 2012 in Mumbai. In Jan 2013, less than one year of purchase, suddenly the AC does not switch on. When I logged a complaint, the technician came within 24 hours (the Good part!) However, after some testing he declares that the PCB has conked off and needs to be replaced under warranty. Then comes the month long wait and ordeal. Numerous phone calls and emails from my side and multitude of false promises from their side followed (wrong part was delivered, part not in stock, will get done in 3 days etc). they finally fixed it in Feb end, after nearly a 1.5 months wait.

Another lack of cooling issue with my Whirlpool 410L fridge in Bangalore within 2 years of ownership. Whirlpool has not yet fixed it despite good amount of followups. Hoping they will do it today.

Have made a promise to never touch Whirlpool products with a barge pole. Will go for LG, even if it is priced higher. I've heard that their service is very good!!

Anyone else had a bitter experience with WP or am I the special one?
Well, we have two Whirlpool fridges and an AC. Never had trouble with AC and the smaller fridge runs like a dream, but the compressor of the large fridge conked off within a year of usage. We had to make several calls and write emails to Reliance and Whirlpool both of whom were trying to wash their hands off the warranty claim and finally got it fixed about 7-10 days later. Thankfully, the little fridge helped during the downtime. But, overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the quality of Whirlpool as compared to say the Voltas AC we bought that has always troubled us.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:07   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Could you explain how such control may be obtained? I mean the 'dew point control' that you are talking about.
The dew point is something that you have no control over. It is dependent upon the temperature of the air and the barometric pressure prevailing at that time. There is no way to change the dew point to a value that one likes or fancies!
Excellent point!! Lets work on the psychrometric curve a little bit. Consider a situation when the relative humidity of the room is at 40% and the dry bulb temp at 25 deg C. The dew point in such a room would be somewhere near 11 deg C. Now the way you can raise the dew point is by increasing the pressure within the room because other two options that is either increasing temperature or humidity will beat the purpose. Now Sharp is saying that they could increase the dew point by increasing the airflow. Please refer to the Sharp website for their detailed catalog. I request distinguished BHP-ians to please throw light on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks